SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Again it’s only half a story. The article explicitly says that half the students are there and the other half are doing a mix of online and in person studies. That’s not what’s happening in schools here. They’re also checking temperatures etc at the doors. Is that happening here?
With just 18 positives out of almost 11000 tests, I would still call that encouraging even allowing for the smaller class sizes/social distancing measures (temp checking is not very effective as a means of preventing spread).

I know I’m probably guilty of confirmation bias here so I am genuinely interested in any data about schools being a big problem. It’s just that I’m seeing much more evidence to the contrary.

acnumber9

With just 18 positives out of almost 11000 tests, I would still call that encouraging even allowing for the smaller class sizes/social distancing measures (temp checking is not very effective as a means of preventing spread).

I know I’m probably guilty of confirmation bias here so I am genuinely interested in any data about schools being a big problem. It’s just that I’m seeing much more evidence to the contrary.
Low numbers would be as much evidence of socially distancing being effective rather than schools not being an issue though surely? If schools absolutely have to stay open then I think finding an effective balance of in school and out of school would help.

I think you are a little. Which is human nature. I’m just waiting to see a compelling argument for why cases exploded right after schools and universities re-opened but not be connected to them in any way.

Andy_Cole

Insulting another member
Nah he is as much of a Cnut as Cummings.
Okay mate. Because you, Virgil is single handedly fighting for small businesses and individuals in Manchester.

You’re a cnut mate as you give no shits about your fellow people. Or are you from down south.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Low numbers would be as much evidence of socially distancing being effective rather than schools not being an issue though surely?

I think you are a little. Which is human nature. I’m just waiting to see a compelling argument for why cases exploded right after schools and universities re-opened but not be connected to them in any way.
That’s been bothering me too. Although I heard an ID consultant the other day say that it’s really just continued exponential growth that started in July/August. Which is a fair point.

If you look at a graph of cases in Uk/Ireland you can see the curve starting its upward trend a few weeks before schools opened and exponential curves always seem explosive once they get past a certain tipping point.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Nah he is as much of a Cnut as Cummings.
For wanting parity with his neighbours? That seems a pretty reasonable ask, in fairness. I don't like his tactics but if he's being backed into a corner for no good reason then it seems like that's the government's fault more than anyone else's. What could possibly be a good reason for paying them less while having them under restrictions for a longer period than almost anywhere else?

Must admit - Burnham is coming across as excellent, regulalry!
You won't be saying that when Mancunians are dying in overflowing field hospitals because everybody now thinks its ok to ignore the government.

acnumber9

That’s been bothering me too. Although I heard an ID consultant the other day say that it’s really just continued exponential growth that started in July/August. Which is a fair point.

If you look at a graph of cases in Uk/Ireland you can see the curve starting its upward trend a few weeks before schools opened and exponential curves always seem explosive once they get past a certain tipping point.
I don’t know. Cases doubled from the start of August to the end of August. It’s increased 7 fold since then. The curve was relatively flat before that. I’m no expert though, I just wouldn’t believe half baked explanations from politicians on that.

SiRed

You won't be saying that when Mancunians are dying in overflowing field hospitals because everybody now thinks its ok to ignore the government.
He stood up for what was right, and what he believed in, and he was completely right to do so. Those extra bodies are all on Boris, not Burnham.

SiRed

I don’t know. Cases doubled from the start of August to the end of August. It’s increased 7 fold since then. The curve was relatively flat before that. I’m no expert though, I just wouldn’t believe half baked explanations from politicians on that.
It certainly has nothing to do with the schools being open, or Universities. It also has nothing to do with being encouraged back into the workplace, or eating out to help out. That upwards curve if solely my fault for having a chat in my neighbours garden.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Calling it now that Manchester will be the first area in England to go back into full lockdown, with non-essential shops shut and more or less everything closed.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Blimey is Poland really that bad?! :lol: Think U.K was estimated at 30% of people who were reluctant to take a vaccine for whatever reason.
I honestly think it is right now. Don’t know exact stats but it has to be more than half looking at what people are saying.

Stactix

The Manchester situation swings both ways, by not enforcing further restrictions straight away things get worse but I certainly agree with him in a few ways.
Restrictions don't go far enough to stem the flow imo.
At the same time, a considerable portion of population live pay check to pay check.. 67% of a paycheck.. + in missing out of tips. For some people that's rent but not food

Government are cnuts but guess who'll win the next general election.

Bosws87

The Manchester situation swings both ways, by not enforcing further restrictions straight away things get worse but I certainly agree with him in a few ways.
Restrictions don't go far enough to stem the flow imo.
At the same time, a considerable portion of population live pay check to pay check.. 67% of a paycheck.. + in missing out of tips. For some people that's rent but not food

Government are cnuts but guess who'll win the next general election.
Not the tories if brexit goes the same way as the pandemic

not sure why I even used if tbh :lol:

Rooney1987

He has to fight this. Liverpool got £44m which works out to about £29 per capita.
Lancashire got £42m which works out to about £28 per capita.

In contrast £60m offered for Greater Manchester would be about £21 per capita.
£79m would be the equivalent figure for Greater Manchester. So that 80mil figure he asks for is right.

Now the government have gone down to £22m which is less than £8 per capita.

TheGame

He has to fight this. Liverpool got £44m which works out to about £29 per capita.

£79m would be the equivalent figure for Greater Manchester. So that 80mil figure he asks for is right.

Not to mention the money Jenrick has given his constituency.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

This'll save the gov a fair bit of money when the inevitable spread of tier 3 shutdowns come about. You'll get what you're given, say thankyou and then shut the feck up. Can't have jumped up local officials begging for money, such oiks need to be made examples of.

Tibs

What's this extra £22m for?

There were grants and loans available in the first lockdown, but most employers did not top up their employees pay - what's to say they will now? Or, is it money available to businesses so they can afford to keep going, so when we come out of this they can re-employ/remove people from Job Retention Scheme?

He stood up for what was right, and what he believed in, and he was completely right to do so. Those extra bodies are all on Boris, not Burnham.
He stood up for protecting his votes. If he cared about anything else he would not have been so vocal and so public with it all.

I'm glad the government has made an example out of him. Regional government needs to reminded this situation is not a vote winner to be played with. If we don't have a central strategy to deal with the virus we will never get the better of it.

Bosws87

He stood up for protecting his votes. If he cared about anything else he would not have been so vocal and so public with it all.

I'm glad the government has made an example out of him. Regional government needs to reminded this situation is not a vote winner to be played with. If we don't have a central strategy to deal with the virus we will never get the better of it.
:lol: Central strategy we are making it up as we go along.

They were literally asking for exactly what you want a central strategy for all places going into tier 3 to get 80% of their salary if they are forced to close.

Fluctuation0161

So was it Burnham who ignored his own scientists in mid September? Did he also send the University students back into halls?

Give it a rest mate.