SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I'm fully aware governments have and will continue to get it wrong, few moreso than the UK. But countries need to stay together and plan as a collective or there is no chance. Various regions and councils (and the media) arguing and undermining is guaranteed to only end one way.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'm fully aware governments have and will continue to get it wrong, few moreso than the UK. But countries need to stay together and plan as a collective or there is no chance. Various regions and councils (and the media) arguing and undermining is guaranteed to only end one way.
Then it seems to me that, sans public reasoning to the contrary, Manchester should have been afforded the same funding as other areas undergoing similar stresses. If we're supposed to all be in this together and acting as a collective what the hell is central government doing playing favourites?

Also, you're glad he's been made an example of? Who do you think is going to suffer more through less funding being made available, Burnham or the poor feck who's job or business just vanished?

Then it seems to me that, sans public reasoning to the contrary, Manchester should have been afforded the same funding as other areas undergoing similar stresses. If we're supposed to all be in this together and acting as a collective what the hell is central government doing playing favourites?

Also, you're glad he's been made an example of? Who do you think is going to suffer more through less funding being made available, Burnham or the poor feck who's job or business just vanished?
Arguments over funding are secondary and should not detract from the main issue. Burnham has been on every news station that will have him in an effort to undermine the government and the lockdown strategy as a negotiating tactic. I am glad other regions have been shown that approach wont work.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

I manchester getting less money then other places in tier 3 then?

redshaw

We'll have to see if anything else comes of the Manchester saga but it does look like Andy cut his nose off to spite his face. Walked away from 60m offer and from what the BBC have reported other councils that have 42-44m will have it dealt out the same way and Manchester was 22m plus 50m something initially, totaling ~75m according to the BBC, which went to around 80m today but he still refused to deal and now we have just 22m. It's not as clear cut as Manchester was only getting 22m while others were getting 44m that was misleading. The package would've been around 70-80m. Lancashire package is 42.

With just 22m I wonder if GMP,, business and the councils dare to keep things open and get the 70-80m back on the table. Hospital admissions are at the highest here so it's a mess all round. We all need to cooperate on this.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He stood up for protecting his votes. If he cared about anything else he would not have been so vocal and so public with it all.

I'm glad the government has made an example out of him. Regional government needs to reminded this situation is not a vote winner to be played with. If we don't have a central strategy to deal with the virus we will never get the better of it.
Are you only reading headlines or something? It’s like you’re living in an alternate reality.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We'll have to see if anything else comes of the Manchester saga but it does look like Andy cut his nose off to spite his face. Walked away from 60m offer and from what the BBC have reported other councils that have 42-44m will have it dealt out the same way and Manchester was 22m plus 50m something initially, totaling ~75m according to the BBC, which went to around 80m today but he still refused to deal and now we have just 22m. It's not as clear cut as Manchester was only getting 22m while others were getting 44m that was misleading. The package would've been around 70-80m. Lancashire package is 42.

With just 22m I wonder if GMP,, business and the councils dare to keep things open and get the 70-80m back on the table. Hospital admissions are at the highest here so it's a mess all round. We all need to cooperate on this.
It’s not ‘get a deal, or bluff and get nothing’

He costed a plan. His request was denied. The Tories got snitty and took away money.

It’s almost like these deceitful swines negotiate in bad faith....

Bosws87

Its honestly a sad state of affairs reading some stuff on here and twitter, when a man is slated for sticking up for the lowest paid in society.

I sometimes feel like the Britain i grew up in is slowly disappearing and we are becoming a nasty inwards looking society.

Some people should honestly take a hard look at themselves god help them if they ever need help.

Last edited:
Reactions: CassiusClaymore

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Arguments over funding are secondary and should not detract from the main issue. Burnham has been on every news station that will have him in an effort to undermine the government and the lockdown strategy as a negotiating tactic. I am glad other regions have been shown that approach wont work.
How are arguments over funding secondary? Even in countries with far worse economies than ours, many have tried to mitigate the economic impact to some extent by government backed handouts, at least in part due to the knowledge that lockdowns won't necessarily work if people are starving/ worried about paying their mortgage or rent.

Not to mention that, even if that line of argument is true, the Tories have seemingly offered less than what they were offering previously. So one has to assume that what they were offering previously is what they deemed to be what Manchester needed. They're not punishing Burnham by reducing the amount, they're punishing the citizens of Manchester.

Tibs

Do we have the costing of where Burnham wanted to spend the money? Both the 22m, and his original demands of whatever?

How are arguments over funding secondary? Even in countries with far worse economies than ours, many have tried to mitigate the economic impact to some extent by government backed handouts, at least in part due to the knowledge that lockdowns won't necessarily work if people are starving/ worried about paying their mortgage or rent.

Not to mention that, even if that line of argument is true, the Tories have seemingly offered less than what they were offering previously. So one has to assume that what they were offering previously is what they deemed to be what Manchester needed. They're not punishing Burnham by reducing the amount, they're punishing the citizens of Manchester.
Measures to contain the virus are the primary focus at this point. It's not July anymore, case numbers and hospitalisations are becoming deeply concerning. Agree containment policies first, then look at the economic measures. Burnham has been happy to very publicly focus on money over containing the virus and has tried to turn the people of Manchester against the government.

They have pulled the rug out precisely because of Burnham's approach to the negotiations. After all, everybody else has managed to come to an agreement. There will be many more lockdowns over the next few months and the government can't have every local council playing this game.

Ananke

Measures to contain the virus are the primary focus at this point. It's not July anymore, case numbers and hospitalisations are becoming deeply concerning. Agree containment policies first, then look at the economic measures. Burnham has been happy to very publicly focus on money over containing the virus and has tried to turn the people of Manchester against the government.

They have pulled the rug out precisely because of Burnham's approach to the negotiations. After all, everybody else has managed to come to an agreement. There will be many more lockdowns over the next few months and the government can't have every local council playing this game.
Firstly Manchester has been in a Tier 2 status with businesses taking big hits for a long time now. It was reported by the government that the hospital capacities were near full, but MPs stated that’s no different from any other year in this season. When you look at London and the Mayor complaining about being in Tier 2 and asking for the 10pms curfews to be scrapped when we’ve been living in this for months is absolutely laughable and shows how different northern areas are being treated to London.

Containment policies should be discussed at the same time as economic policies, the economy being destroyed brings just as many problems as an infection rate growing. Why the hell you would agree to containment policies before someone has guaranteed you a package that will keep your civilians livelihoods existing is beyond me...ridiculous statement.

This whole fiasco has been anything but putting priority on containment anyway, how god damn slow this government has responded to things is all about the economy and money, if it was so seriously about the containment the whole country would be in full lockdown a month back after listening to scientific advisors.

F-Red

Do we have the costing of where Burnham wanted to spend the money? Both the 22m, and his original demands of whatever?
It was mentioned after the press conference today on the BBC. £22m allocated to test and trace, the balance is for business support.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
People are fully desensitized at the amount of deaths because it's not as bad as the hight of the first lockdown.

241 people died and people aren't batting an eye lid.

Crazy.

F-Red

People are fully desensitized at the amount of deaths because it's not as bad as the hight of the first lockdown.

Crazy.
Whilst it's an upwards trend, Monday & Today's number has the lag of deaths reported from the weekend.

acnumber9

Crazy.
Because life has to go on. You can’t live in perpetual misery over people dying.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I would say yes, definitely. Even without a vaccine. The virus is here to stay (barring a miracle) but should pose much less of a threat by the end of next year.
It is also going to be really patchy depending on which vaccines don't fail and which ones your country will have access to. Then factor in manufacture, distribution, administration and vax resistance and it is hard to know for sure. But vaccines possibly plus monoclonal antibodies/anti-virals that work well and things could be much closer to normal by late 21.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What’s your reasoning for this? Better therapeutic treatments? A level of herd immunity? Virus mutating into something less deadly?
I doubt we will be able to vaccinate to reach the HIT in most countries but the R will come down as vaccines are rolled out.

The vaccine mutating is possible and mass vaccination could speed this up. Hopefully to be less harmless (more often than not due to selection pressures as a dead host can't infect others) but not a given.

acnumber9

You can if their deaths are unnecessary.
You can’t. Over 46,000 people died in England and Wales last October. Were people expected to go around thinking about it all day every day? This isn’t me saying Covid isn’t a massive issue, it clearly is, but you can’t expect people to be obsessing over every death. It’s not healthy regardless of the fact any death is a tragedy.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It might not be good for your individual mental health to concentrate on it too much but it hasn't been worried about enough by the powers that be. And they haven't communicated the restrictions in terns of this is to save the life of your relatives etc. You get the feeling that countries like the UK started from the economics rather than started from it being a health/medical issue. By the time the true error of this approach was apparent it had spread almost beyond control. Now covid fatigue is such that people are ignoring the human toll as long as they don't have to think about it too much. This is something we can lay at the government's door due to their chaotic and bungled response.

acnumber9

It might not be good for your individual mental health to concentrate on it too much but it hasn't been worried about enough by the powers that be. And they haven't communicated the restrictions in terns of this is to save the life of your relatives etc. You get the feeling that countries like the UK started from the economics rather than started from it being a health/medical issue. By the time the true error of this approach was apparent it had spread almost beyond control. Now covid fatigue is such that people are ignoring the human toll as long as they don't have to think about it too much. This is something we can lay at the government's door due to their chaotic and bungled response.
I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. But people shouldn’t feel guilty for getting on with their lives provided they’re following the rules and not putting people in unnecessary danger. We’ve been doing it throughout the history of our species.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. But people shouldn’t feel guilty for getting on with their lives provided they’re following the rules and not putting people in unnecessary danger. We’ve been doing it throughout the history of our species.
Follow the rules and there is no reason anyone should feel guilty.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia had a total of 5 locally acquired infections yesterday - all connected to know sources/clusters - 3 in Victoria and 2 in NSW.

Victoria had only 1 yesterday and there aren't sure if it is an old infection still shedding virus or a reinfection yet. Watch this space.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Very good BMJ article. All debates in the current era seem to degenerate in the way this article describes, with everyone just viewing all evidence through the lense of whatever conclusion they have already made. Think the modern broadcast, press and especially social media have caused this to happen. It's a 21st century phenomena.
Social media specially, I think. It's both the medium on which the worst information flows, and also the medium that makes everyone have an opinion on every subject.

Took me all this time to understand how important Socrates most famous quote is, and the dangers of everyone ignoring it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Because life has to go on. You can’t live in perpetual misery over people dying.
In general terms and normal times you’d be right but the thing with Covid is that it a death you can catch and transmit. That means a lot of the deaths could be seen as unnecessary and anything that can be done to reduce the spread should be done.

Fluctuation0161

Without sufficient financial support people can't afford to lockdown effectively so the virus is less likely to be contained.

Andy Burnham also has a valid point that the government is ignoring its own scientists with this regional tiered lockdown strategy instead of a circuit breaker national lockdown.

If the government don't want the national economic impact of a full lockdown, why is it OK to impose that same damage on the North without a proper support package?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Its honestly a sad state of affairs reading some stuff on here and twitter, when a man is slated for sticking up for the lowest paid in society.

I sometimes feel like the Britain i grew up in is slowly disappearing and we are becoming a nasty inwards looking society.

Some people should honestly take a hard look at themselves god help them if they ever need help.
Spot on.

Smores

People are always willing defend their 'side'. If you spend any time in one of the various politics threads you soon recognise who will lower themselves to such levels.

It's fairly obvious to the majority of people that the Tories are playing politics and being utterly spiteful cnuts.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

So what do you think about South Yorkshire going straight into Tier 3 without behaving like a bunch of cnuts?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
People are always willing defend their 'side'. If you spend any time in one of the various politics threads you soon recognise who will lower themselves to such levels.

It's fairly obvious to the majority of people that the Tories are playing politics and being utterly spiteful cnuts.
Burnham is playing politics with people's lives.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Ananke

The government's secretive Covid contracts are heaping misery on Britain
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...itain-nhs-corporate-executives-test-and-trace

When it is all listed in one place like this, it makes the UK governments incompetence and cronyism even more stark.
That is a scary read...:(

When it talks about Dido Harding, failing in her role and then being given...basically a promotion...
" Having demonstrated, to almost everyone’s dissatisfaction, that she was the wrong person for the job, Harding has now been given an even bigger role, as head of the National Institute for Health Protection, to run concurrently with the first one. This is the government’s replacement for Public Health England, which it blames for its own disasters. Harding’s appointment looks to me like a reward for failure."

And THEN finding out that her husband is appointed head of anti corruption...

" What is this about? Why is failure rewarded? Why are contracts issued with so little accountability or transparency? There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but you might expect the government’s Anti-Corruption Champion to investigate. Or perhaps not. He is John Penrose MP, Dido Harding’s husband. "

Jesus. Coincidence? There's so many 'coincidences' in that article...it's not funny.

Last edited: