SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

prateik

I know that from my work, that UNICEF are leading the procurement and distribution of the vaccines in developing countries.

I wasn't suggesting India won't get any vaccine.. just that we probably wont get this one.. at least not anytime soon.

Castia

After all this clears I hope the world pulls together to go at China, feck knows how they’re just plodding along as if nothing has happened whilst millions die around the world.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Even if the vaccine is out in November its going to take a considerable amount of time to get enough people vaccinated to let us head back to relatively normal life.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Even if the vaccine is out in November its going to take a considerable amount of time to get enough people vaccinated to let us head back to relatively normal life.
What is the plan in NZ?

The aim in Australia is for a large (but unspecified) number of people to be vaccinated by midyear and everyone (or as high a % as possible) by late 2021.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
What is the plan in NZ?

The aim in Australia is for a large (but unspecified) number of people to be vaccinated by midyear and everyone (or as high a % as possible) by late 2021.
We have an initial number of doses for 750,000 but after that Im not sure what the next effort will be. Im thinking that in terms of most of the planet getting to a more normal place its going to take at least a year, probably 2. The logistics of it all are pretty huge.

SinNombre

I wasn't suggesting India won't get any vaccine.. just that we probably wont get this one.. at least not anytime soon.
You'll get the AZN one. They all target the spike protein and the likelihood of them succeeding is higher after Pfizer's success.

India is the biggest manufacturer of vaccines and I think is producing 1 billion doses of the AZN/Oxford one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What is the plan in NZ?

That will be the aim everywhere. Full roll-out as soon as possible. Remains to be seen how many countries achieve that aim. Will be a hell of a lot of jockeying for access between now and then with countries/regions that have the most buying power likely to head the queue.

The more vaccines approved in the next 6-12 months the less frantic the scramble.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If we were to get multiple vaccines, is it possible that people will be choosing which vaccine they want to take, weighing up different pros and cons? Or is that something that would just be dictated by the profile of that person and decided by the health service, presumably with some costs taken into account?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That will be the aim everywhere. Full roll-out as soon as possible. Remains to be seen how many countries achieve that aim. Will be a hell of a lot of jockeying for access between now and then with countries/regions that have the most buying power likely to head the queue.

The more vaccines approved in the next 6-12 months the less frantic the scramble.
And complicated by which vaccines each country has to import vs manufacture under license.

Australia will manufacture the Oxford vaccine and a UQ one that will hopefully be through Phase 3 by mid 2021 and import a couple of the mRNA ones (Phizer and another one).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If we were to get multiple vaccines, is it possible that people will be choosing which vaccine they want to take, weighing up different pros and cons? Or is that something that would just be dictated by the profile of that person and decided by the health service, presumably with some costs taken into account?
Hard to know but I suspect supply will be the key determining factor in most countries although some of the vaccines that require very cold storage conditions might be less suitable for some parts of the world.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We have an initial number of doses for 750,000 but after that Im not sure what the next effort will be. Im thinking that in terms of most of the planet getting to a more normal place its going to take at least a year, probably 2. The logistics of it all are pretty huge.
I'm also wondering if NZ might benefit if AU made huge quantities of the UQ vaccine as planned. I assume that a NZ/AU bubble gradually expanding to our pacific neighbors might well be a very high priority for all concerned.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So like other pre-orders do you think Hancock and BoJo will be queuing outside the store at midnight?

meanwhile everyone who waits for the craziness to settle will get “out of stock” for months and try to pick it up on eBay

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Puts to bed any 'real mortality is 0.01%' and similar arguments.

As for vaccine, I do enjoy that other countries will be able to get back to semi-normal next year because of it. I don't have much hope for Poland, according to recent surveys less than half of our population will consider getting themselves vaccinated if the vaccine is proven safe and efficient, and other survey suggest the number could be as low as 10-12%. Second one makes more sense than just less than half as recent surveys show that 20% do not believe covid exists at all, 46% do not believe you can die from covid so I would imagine all of them would not get vaccinated at all and would also discourage their families. More than 10% believe it's a plot to put microchips into people's bodies and depopulate Earth. Vaccine is really pointless if all you can do is get 10% to take it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

As for vaccine, I do enjoy that other countries will be able to get back to semi-normal next year because of it. I don't have much hope for Poland, according to recent surveys less than half of our population will consider getting themselves vaccinated if the vaccine is proven safe and efficient, and other survey suggest the number could be as low as 10-12%. Second one makes more sense than just less than half as recent surveys show that 20% do not believe covid exists at all, 46% do not believe you can die from covid so I would imagine all of them would not get vaccinated at all and would also discourage their families. More than 10% believe it's a plot to put microchips into people's bodies and depopulate Earth. Vaccine is really pointless if all you can do is get 10% to take it.
Resume normal life and make it impossible to participate in society without having been vaccinated could be a solution. I wouldn't be against it if you could only enter restaurants / pubs if you have proof of vaccination.

Sarni

Resume normal life and make it impossible to participate in society without having been vaccinated could be a solution. I wouldn't be against it if you could only enter restaurants / pubs if you have proof of vaccination.
Sounds like a good idea but there would be riots against NWO and Bill Gates here if that happened. There already were when they asked people to wear masks in closed spaces.

SiRed

Or certainly restrict movement to other countries.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not sure I'd call what's going on at the moment a lockdown. Literally every shop on my high street is open...even the Estate agents are packed with weirdos in suits. Roads are no less busy and there doesn't seem to be any noticable difference to how many people are going in to work. Schools are still open.

The schools situation is very difficult but outside of that I dont get the point in doing a lockdown if it's going to be some super half arsed version. It's just kicking the problem such a tiny way down the road that you barely even buy yourself any time.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm not sure I'd call what's going on at the moment a lockdown. Literally every shop on my high street is open...even the Estate agents are packed with weirdos in suits. Roads are no less busy and there doesn't seem to be any noticable difference to how many people are going in to work. Schools are still open.

The schools situation is very difficult but outside of that I dont get the point in doing a lockdown if it's going to be some super half arsed version. It's just kicking the problem such a tiny way down the road that you barely even buy yourself any time.
Yep same. Had been away for a week and just got back at the weekend. Went out yesterday expecting a full-blown lockdown, but even the bookshop was open, serving from a table that was blocking the door. Ditto with estate agents and other 'essential businesses', such as the three drycleaners we have within about 5m of each other near our flat.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

It doesn't really. You don't prove anything by taking such tiny samples and trying to generalise. Particularly not from an environment where the people are unlikely to be as healthy or particularly well treated as your average group of people. I doubt they rush prison inmates to the front of the line for health care either. If the mortality rate for covid wasn't extremely low the death numbers would be a lot more horrific due to how easily it seems to be passed from person to person.

Second point is part of where the difficulty will be with all countries I think. Having a vaccine is one thing but finding an effective way to both distribute it to enough people for it to make a difference, and then also convincing people to have it, is another battle. I think though ultimately when it comes to the more vulnerable at least, the fear of dying either from them or their loved ones will mean common sense will prevail...and 90% effectiveness just sounds too good to be true, as it means it's less of an issue if the less at risk people decide to opt out. So you don't necessarily need to be trying to force the entire population to have it for it to work.

Smores

My high street is exactly the same, every store has decided they're essential it seems. All it's really done is hit the hospitality industry which yeah they're contributing to the rise but not enough for them to face the brunt of this lockdown.

It was a bit predictable that people wouldn't treat this lockdown with the seriousness it deserves. i really hope the R comes down irrespective because if i can't have Christmas and see my parents for only the 2nd time this year i'm going to be apocalyptic.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep same. Had been away for a week and just got back at the weekend. Went out yesterday expecting a full-blown lockdown, but even the bookshop was open, serving from a table that was blocking the door. Ditto with estate agents and other 'essential businesses', such as the three drycleaners we have within about 5m of each other near our flat.
Yeah literally the only places closed on the high street here were the charity shops, CEX and an electrics store. Everywhere else has found a way to stay open....and the roads are an absolute fecking nightmare, even outside of the school traffic. First time round the roads were absolutely empty. Absolutely no difference at all to the people going into our offices either. Still not ecxactly full of people but yesterday was the most people I've seen in since March.

I'm not exactly fond of the idea of a lockdown because I think it will just wreck so many lives at this point, but a kind of half one just seems a bit pointless. It wont make enough difference to prevent difficult decisions having to be made in a few weeks time anyway.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
My high street is exactly the same, every store has decided they're essential it seems. All it's really done is hit the hospitality industry which yeah they're contributing to the rise but not enough for them to face the brunt of this lockdown.

It was a bit predictable that people wouldn't treat this lockdown with the seriousness it deserves. i really hope the R comes down irrespective because if i can't have Christmas and see my parents for only the 2nd time this year i'm going to be apocalyptic.
That's the thing it's going to potentially decimate the hospitality industry anyway, and that will have a knock on effect for every industry. We're already seeing this happen really and the reality of it is only just starting to hit a lot of people.

It's definitely predictable but there's a lot I can't make sense of. I don't understand why vulnerable people were locked indoors all summer, in many cases becoming depressed and suffering other health issues as a result, just for it to get to the winter and now they're allowed to do whatever the feck they want despite being probably more at risk now than during the summer. Surely would have been better to do it the other way round. It's not like covid coming back in the winter was an unforseable event.

I honestly can't see it coming down before christmas enough to make a difference, and if it does it'll soon shoot back up. With Christmas I guess you could effectively create a bubble within your family circle. For example me and my brother/sister could effectively isolate for a couple of weeks before and then I'd just go pick up my mum and siblings and we could spend it at my dads. Not sure what the rules will say by then but tbh they barely make enough sense to be worth following half the time.

Sarni

It doesn't really. You don't prove anything by taking such tiny samples and trying to generalise. Particularly not from an environment where the people are unlikely to be as healthy or particularly well treated as your average group of people. I doubt they rush prison inmates to the front of the line for health care either. If the mortality rate for covid wasn't extremely low the death numbers would be a lot more horrific due to how easily it seems to be passed from person to person.

Second point is part of where the difficulty will be with all countries I think. Having a vaccine is one thing but finding an effective way to both distribute it to enough people for it to make a difference, and then also convincing people to have it, is another battle. I think though ultimately when it comes to the more vulnerable at least, the fear of dying either from them or their loved ones will mean common sense will prevail...and 90% effectiveness just sounds too good to be true, as it means it's less of an issue if the less at risk people decide to opt out. So you don't necessarily need to be trying to force the entire population to have it for it to work.
I'm not saying it's going to be 6%, it obviously won't be among general population. However putting this at 0.1% has really no foundation at this point because as it's been mentioned in both threads, there are countries and areas where more than 0.1% of general population has died with covid and it doesn't appear that they have any sort of herd immunity either as people are still getting infected. I can believe anything between 0.4% and 1.0% range but definitely not 0.1%.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah literally the only places closed on the high street here were the charity shops, CEX and an electrics store. Everywhere else has found a way to stay open....and the roads are an absolute fecking nightmare, even outside of the school traffic. First time round the roads were absolutely empty. Absolutely no difference at all to the people going into our offices either. Still not ecxactly full of people but yesterday was the most people I've seen in since March.

I'm not exactly fond of the idea of a lockdown because I think it will just wreck so many lives at this point, but a kind of half one just seems a bit pointless. It wont make enough difference to prevent difficult decisions having to be made in a few weeks time anyway.
Made me laugh that the greetings card shop near the tube station now stocks about five different cleaning products, which are displayed very prominently in the window.
Agree this half-arsed lockdown will likely achieve little, particularly when you consider the grim unemployment figures out today.
Presumably there'll be some loosening for Christmas shopping next month too, so absolutely everything is open.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
After all this clears I hope the world pulls together to go at China, feck knows how they’re just plodding along as if nothing has happened whilst millions die around the world.
Exactly my view as well.

redshaw

532 deaths and 20412 cases for UK but hospital admissions have leveled off

Smores

Oh joy, this argument again :rolleyes:

Bosws87

"The TDCJ facilities that have the highest number of deaths from COVID tend to be prisons that house large numbers of elderly incarcerated people as well as individuals with physical disabilities and serious medical conditions"

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Sounds like a good idea but there would be riots against NWO and Bill Gates here if that happened. There already were when they asked people to wear masks in closed spaces.
Poland is a pretty big country, you will always be able to find a few tens of thousands of people to start a riot.

If you can go through with this abortion thing without a civil war in 2020 I am sure you can also do something about covid.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How full are ICUs in the Uk? Just been reading some grim occupancy stats from mainland Europe.
Belgium is at 1,450 of a possible 2,000 ICU admissions. Luckily infections and hospitalizations have already levelled off because of the more stringent lockdown so the total ICU number will stay below 1,500 if the the trend continues.

Still shameful that we let it get to that level again after we got our numbers so low in the beginning of July. As if politicans didn’t know what an exponential curve was.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not saying it's going to be 6%, it obviously won't be among general population. However putting this at 0.1% has really no foundation at this point because as it's been mentioned in both threads, there are countries and areas where more than 0.1% of general population has died with covid and it doesn't appear that they have any sort of herd immunity either as people are still getting infected. I can believe anything between 0.4% and 1.0% range but definitely not 0.1%.
I think you're misreading the information to be honest. I don't doubt the death rate varies somewhat from place to place depending on the conditions and the level of care available, but there is nowhere that it will be anything even slightly close to 1%. The biggest difference in the rate from one place to another actually seems to be the level of testing.

For example in the UK, if you take the number of deaths compared to the number of confirmed cases, then the death rate is around 0.04%...and that's before you factor in that not every person who has covid will be tested. Someone with no symptoms will not be tested unless done so at random, and depending on what study you look at the number of people who contract covid without getting any symptoms is anywhere between around 50% to as high as 85%...so even going by the lower figure there you're looking at a death rate of around 0.02%. You can argue that can come down more if you consider that covid deaths are people who tested positive within a certain time frame of death, and that a percentage of those were already terminally ill. As well as the fact that the demand for tests has been greater than the capacity at various points in time, so some positive cases have simply been missed. So even being pessimistic, looking at the maths and science available you would have to concede that 0.02% is more likely to be a high figure than a low one, which makes the 0.01% figure actually seem very plausible.

I can easily believe there will be some variation to that based on the unknown factors and lack of exactness in some of the numbers, but there is just no way it jumps from that to suddenly being 1% or 0.4% or anything close. If it was close to either of those numbers you would be looking at potentially 50-100 times the number of deaths we have seen if not more. The number of deaths in the UK alone would be in the hundreds of thousands

It's all pretty useless information as well since it's so generalised. For example if I were to get covid (again) I'd have a much lower chance of dying than even 0.02%, due to being at a healthy and young age, and living in a country where I have access to healthcare and a warm roof over my head. My chances of dying are basically 0...where as for an 80 year old with a lung condition living in deprived conditions it's probably significantly higher than even 1%...as it also would be if they contracted flu or even potentially a common cold....and this is why it's such a big problem, because this still actually amounts to an awful lot of people, and there are also countless other conditions and illnesses going round, and adding another on top is in many places simply too much for the healthcare systems we have in place to cope with.

Herd immunity is a nonsense but I think we've always kind of known that. We've never had enough information about covid to know if something like that would work, and the more information we do get, the more it seems that it wouldn't.