SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

F-Red

Excellent thank you. Why aren't we focusing in the short term, in terms of order numbers on the Oxford vaccine as it doesn't have the storage issues for example.
It'll all depend on which gets approved first as to what the UK will deploy as the first vaccine. I imagine at some point we'll have all three mentioned, plus more, in circulation, with a longer term mass deployment focus on the Oxford vaccine. They need orders in for all on the off chance, that one doesn't pass approvals.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It'll all depend on which gets approved first as to what the UK will deploy as the first vaccine. I imagine at some point we'll have all three mentioned, plus more, in circulation, with a longer term mass deployment focus on the Oxford vaccine. They need orders in for all on the off chance, that one doesn't pass approvals.
So if as they suggest the Oxford vaccine will be given to front line and elderly are they doing this without said vaccine being approved.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'm just being impatient if honest. Its incredible how fast they are being with these vaccines considering how long this stuff typically takes.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Airline to demand proof of vaccination from passengers

Australian airline Qantas has suspended almost all overseas flights until mid-2021
Passengers will have to prove they have been vaccinated against Covid-19 before boarding an international flight with Qantas, the Australian airline’s chief executive has said.
Alan Joyce told Australia's Channel 9 that the airline was “looking at changing our terms and conditions” as several vaccines await final approval.
“We will ask people to have a vaccination before they get on the aircraft. Certainly, for international visitors coming out and people leaving the country we think that's a necessity," Joyce said.
He said proof of Covid-19 vaccinations may become a “common theme” across the industry.
“What we’re looking at is how you can have a vaccination passport, an electronic version of it that certifies what the vaccine is and whether it’s acceptable to the country you’re traveling to,” he said.
Qantas has suspended almost all overseas flights until the middle of 2021, and does not expect to resume full service until a Covid vaccine becomes available.
I imagine they will be working with the Federal Government on this one as how to open the International borders without is one of our greatest challenges.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Anyone know which vaccine results is next up? Should be a bit of wait for this one, right?
Jansenn (Johnson and Johnson)?
- though I think they've now started another phase 3 trial using a two dose vaccine (they started off with a single dose protocol) which I guess may mean they didn't get the results they were hoping for on the singles dose. They were expected to publish before Christmas

Novavax
- expecting results in early Q1 from the UK trial, but as the US trials are only just starting, they might not release much until they can report US data as well.

I think a couple of Chinese vaccines are in Phase 3 in Brazil and elsewhere + emergency use in China and I think Russia's got one at a similar stage as well.

Nice tracker at:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-coronavirus-drug-vaccine-status/

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So why can't it be given to more people than just front line and elderly.
It has to be manufactured, distributed and administered and that takes time. I'm sure all governments will want every available dose used as fast as possible so you assume they know there will be a limited supply at first so they are targeting priority groups.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Jansenn (Johnson and Johnson)?
- though I think they've now started another phase 3 trial using a two dose vaccine (they started off with a single dose protocol) which I guess may mean they didn't get the results they were hoping for on the singles dose. They were expected to publish before Christmas

Novavax
- expecting results in early Q1 from the UK trial, but as the US trials are only just starting, they might not release much until they can report US data as well.

I think a couple of Chinese vaccines are in Phase 3 in Brazil and elsewhere + emergency use in China and I think Russia's got one at a similar stage as well.

Nice tracker at:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-coronavirus-drug-vaccine-status/
The Uni of Queensland vaccine is about to start phase 3 trials as well.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It has to be manufactured, distributed and administered and that takes time. I'm sure all governments will want every available dose used as fast as possible so you assume they know there will be a limited supply at first so they are targeting priority groups.
Ok thats what I thought. Again what an amazing achievement.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think the shambling governmental response and communication in the UK and US has significantly contributed to people's attitude.
No doubt. But, I just heard that over a million of Americans have gone through airports since last Friday, roughly 45% of what it was same day last year, never have approached this close of percentage. Don’t think all of these traveling this year have emergent family issues with to deal with. It’s one holiday, not even that old in this country, one of more secular ones. Skip it. Why compound the problem & bring it home or to other family? It’s just one holiday.

This government has been consistent in warning against any sizable travel for Thanksgiving, albeit perhaps more muted vs. previous administrations. Many governments aren’t shrouding themselves in glory, no doubt about that, but humans themselves are not absolved from any blame in all this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No doubt. But, I just heard that over a million of Americans have gone through airports since last Friday, roughly 45% of what it was same day last year, never have approached this close of percentage. Don’t think all of these traveling this year have emergent family issues with to deal with. It’s one holiday, not even that old in this country, one of more secular ones. Skip it. Why compound the problem & bring it home or to other family? It’s just one holiday.

This government has been consistent in warning against any sizable travel for Thanksgiving, albeit perhaps more muted vs. previous administrations. Many governments aren’t shrouding themselves in glory, no doubt about that, but humans themselves are not absolved from any blame in all this.
Agreed but many governments haven't done enough to encourage good behaviour and they are meant to be the adults in the room.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Agreed but many governments haven't done enough to encourage good behaviour and they are meant to be the adults in the room.
Again, we don’t disagree. But there appears to be little public regard for critical mass being reached in health care systems & governmental institutions. There’s still too much grey area in the lives of millions outside of the inherent risks of providing for one’s livelihood, a bit too much hubris & not enough altruism.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Reposting an article from a couple of weeks back for anyone thinking about Christmas etc and meeting up with family, or trying to explain to relatives why you don't think the family should meet up. What's nice is that it also covers risk reduction if you are meeting up.

https://english.elpais.com/society/...he-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Shorter visits, ventilation, turn the background music down so you don't have to shout, avoid sitting face to face - all may help. As, of course, would a commitment from everyone to avoid other kinds of contact in the week before.

Take the specific numbers it mentions as coming with lots of "more or less" provisos, but the broad sweep is probably accurate.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
These people are such crooks. Never seizes to amaze me.
Somewhat unrelated but I’d love to go to the French Laundry. Thomas Keller is a genius.

NinjaFletch

Posted because we all know international covid competitiveness is a highly constructive and rewarding use of our time.

Sweden currently mounting an impressive charge up the table.

[josegif]
Man what on earth has Belgium done to drag their numbers back so drastically?

massi83

Posted because we all know international covid competitiveness is a highly constructive and rewarding use of our time.

Sweden currently mounting an impressive charge up the table.

[josegif]
You might get to first! Finland is rising a bit. Well Iceland is now lowest actually, don't know why it is cut from that table.

acnumber9

You have to laugh at that gormless twat Matt Hancock. Now he’s asking why people in Britain think it’s acceptable to go to work when you’re sick? Maybe it has something to do with the appalling sick pay people get or the fact their own civil service issue out warnings once you pass 8 days absence in 12 months.

djembatheking

You have to laugh at that gormless twat Matt Hancock. Now he’s asking why people in Britain think it’s acceptable to go to work when you’re sick? Maybe it has something to do with the appalling sick pay people get or the fact their own civil service issue out warnings once you pass 8 days absence in 12 months.
He is so out of touch. As if people are "soldiering on" , fecking idiot .

Skills

Snitch
They need to extend the Christmas holidays by a week before Christmas and ideally a week after Christmas too.

The last week of term is a massive waste of time anyways

redshaw

853 deaths in Italy

For UK , the north west cases are coming down quite a bit now.

gormless

I don’t ever post ITK stuff, but this has been relayed to me by someone who has the inside track on this, here goes:

Oxford Vaccine trial volunteers experiencing more side effects than expected apparently. Chris Witty apparently wasn’t very optimistic about how it’s looking so far, is what I’ve been told. I’m sure this will leak eventually and honestly I’ll take a permanent ban if it turns out to be bullshit.

I’d be happy to PM the mods as to who I’ve got this from.
Get the ban hammer out

F-Red

I think today's case numbers look strangely low, in England alone the new case numbers are half of what they were last week. Something doesn't look right in the data.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hard to believe the FDA could approve one of these within a few weeks and patients and essential workers could be getting shots before Christmas.