SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
How in the hell are JLR workers "critical" workers? The current situation with the virus is way worse than where we were in March, but the government response is so full of holes, even calling it half-arsed would be excessively complimentary. It's like a 16th of an arse. Maybe just the anus. It's an anus response.
All logistics workers - warehouse, transport, etc. are considered critical workers. The kids of logistics workers are eligible to go to school as well.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
During the first lockdown, my wife's primary school had less than 40 key worker kids out of a total of 350. The number of kids coming in on Monday is over 200, due a loosening of the key worker criteria. She's basically been told it won't be any different than last term's bubble learning.

Unless hers is somehow exceptional, I don't see how schools will be much safer tbh.

lynchie

All logistics workers - warehouse, transport, etc. are considered critical workers. The kids of logistics workers are eligible to go to school as well.
About half the country is considered "critical workers" this time around - it's ridiculous. There's been reports in Manchester of 50-80% of kids in some schools being sent in because their parents are so critical. It's a lockdown - furlough people, pay them to stay home, deal with the costs later. Otherwise these workplaces are going to be absolute breeding grounds for the virus.

About half the country is considered "critical workers" this time around - it's ridiculous. There's been reports in Manchester of 50-80% of kids in some schools being sent in because their parents are so critical. It's a lockdown - furlough people, pay them to stay home, deal with the costs later. Otherwise these workplaces are going to be absolute breeding grounds for the virus.
It wasn't particularly strict first time round and it's even less so this time. Driving to Dover on Day 1 i got stuck in traffic on the M25. In France at times i couldn't see another car in any direction.

Like most of the pandemic handling, it's been about soundbites and being seen to be doing something.

lynchie

It's like this massive blindspot - I disagree with a lot of people here about how important young kids are to spreading this virus, but I agree that when the spread is out of control schools need to be closed. But somehow no one cares that the official advice is "stay at home, unless your boss thinks that might impact his annual bonus".

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
According to Apple’s data, public transport levels are at their lowest levels since July and cars since Spring. Still a level above the first lockdown but a level below the second.

Mihai

According to Apple’s data, public transport levels are at their lowest levels since July and cars since Spring. Still a level above the first lockdown but a level below the second.
In London, there're definitely a lot less cars on the road than during the second lockdown.

One thing to note is that during the first lockdown the congestion charge was stopped, so a lot of people would drive to Central London.

lynchie

What are we calling the second lockdown here?

K Stand Knut

It wasn't particularly strict first time round and it's even less so this time. Driving to Dover on Day 1 i got stuck in traffic on the M25. In France at times i couldn't see another car in any direction.

Like most of the pandemic handling, it's been about soundbites and being seen to be doing something.
my kids school have tightened it up again but really stepped up their online offering and are essentially just having classes at home.

They’re only letting families with 2 key worker parents back in school.

Stactix

Apparently 40% more patients in hospital than at the peak in April...

Definetly doesn't feel anywhere near as 'lockdowny' as the first time.

Went into work today ( School) Car park was still almost full. Over 100 kids in some of the schools.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
People aren't taking the lockdown seriously enough, at least here in London. I think the government need to introduce a new visible rule that hasn't been in place before, just so people have to pay attention again. The rules have just got a bit boring, as much as anything else. Something like 'if you have to leave your residence, you must be wearing a mask, even if outdoors'.

Stactix

My mothers school which has around 300 pupils, currently has 140 in as of today, that number is going over 200 next week.

the feck.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Stactix

Does anybody know how schools are faring with allocating laptops to kids who don't have one? I know the gov have a scheme but I'm curious about its effectiveness/turnaround.
One of my tasks at the schools I'm at is this.
Resorting to loaning laptops from our pupil trolleys. Been told it'll be a few weeks before we get more dfe laptops in. Very limited in what I can do on these laptops, don't even have adobe reader on them so kids are going to have to use edge which is an utter crock of shite as a pdf viewer.

Have recieved our vodaphone sims but not sure how much use they'll be.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Does anybody know how schools are faring with allocating laptops to kids who don't have one? I know the gov have a scheme but I'm curious about its effectiveness/turnaround.
My Mum is a teacher. I asked her to find a family that needed help.

I bought the two kids the cheapest chrome book and I’m paying their Broadband costs for 6 months.

I’m a nice enough fella, but I’ve enjoyed the perks of my life during the last 10 months. I’m a passably good human being. Garbage at times. Spectacular on occasion.

Now is the time to do something. Contact your local school. I’m only posting here because I want people to do something. Everyone. Schools are on their knees.

Help if you can.

Reactions: Grinner

UnrelatedPsuedo

In London, there're definitely a lot less cars on the road than during the second lockdown.

One thing to note is that during the first lockdown the congestion charge was stopped, so a lot of people would drive to Central London.
Let’s be honest, this is the second lockdown.

The November effort was a nonsense.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There needs to be some fear of serious punishment for not obeying the rules, it just doesn't feel like people are that arsed.
Another issue is why are so many shops open. It was supposed to be essential only. And yet all the local building suppliers are open now but we're not in the first and only proper lockdown.

Stactix

Another issue is why are so many shops open. It was supposed to be essential only. And yet all the local building suppliers are open now but we're not in the first and only proper lockdown.
I have an eye appointment tommorow, wasn't possible during the first lockdown now all clinics are open. (Had laser eye surgery a year ago, first appointment since March)

Boots is basically open as normal where before it was only a reduced pharmancy.

Think most places are just going for it, knowing full well the government aren't going to do feckall

UnrelatedPsuedo

I have an eye appointment tommorow, wasn't possible during the first lockdown now all clinics are open. (Had laser eye surgery a year ago, first appointment since March)

Boots is basically open as normal where before it was only a reduced pharmancy.

Think most places are just going for it, knowing full well the government aren't going to do feckall
There’s a Barber shop open in Deptford, London. Selling masks and hand sanitizer so is deemed an ‘Essential Business’.

This is what bad government brings.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There’s a Barber shop open in Deptford, London. Selling masks and hand sanitizer so is deemed an ‘Essential Business’.

This is what bad government brings.
Yes. And you only have to look across the Atlantic to see what bad government can result in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Correct. And there are far more people about and significantly more cars on the road than in April.
One big difference from the first one, especially for us running people, is that at the start of the last lockdown you weren't meant to drive somewhere for exercise.

They then loosened it to "ok you can then" - and that's how we've started this time.

I'm not even certain that if you didn't know it was a lockdown that you would guess looking at the cars. Whereas last time round it was like ghost towns.

ps our Moyes differences aside - I hope you're in a safe place - do you know what priority band you'll be for the vaccine?