SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I have an eye appointment tommorow, wasn't possible during the first lockdown now all clinics are open. (Had laser eye surgery a year ago, first appointment since March)

Boots is basically open as normal where before it was only a reduced pharmancy.

Think most places are just going for it, knowing full well the government aren't going to do feckall
I was surprised to get an email from my dentist saying have an appointment, as they're fully open!
In March they were only dealing with emergency stuff and told me to "hold off" on a string of stuff I need that they class as "routine".

I certainly won't be booking an appointment for anything routine for the foreseeable!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
My Mum is a teacher. I asked her to find a family that needed help.

I bought the two kids the cheapest chrome book and I’m paying their Broadband costs for 6 months.

I’m a nice enough fella, but I’ve enjoyed the perks of my life during the last 10 months. I’m a passably good human being. Garbage at times. Spectacular on occasion.

Now is the time to do something. Contact your local school. I’m only posting here because I want people to do something. Everyone. Schools are on their knees.

Help if you can.
That is remarkably considerate and kind. Well played.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I bought the two kids the cheapest chrome book and I’m paying their Broadband costs for 6 months.

I’m a nice enough fella, but I’ve enjoyed the perks of my life during the last 10 months. I’m a passably good human being. Garbage at times. Spectacular on occasion.

Now is the time to do something. Contact your local school. I’m only posting here because I want people to do something. Everyone. Schools are on their knees.

Help if you can.
Good for you sir. You’re a good un

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Had to do a home visit yesterday for an elderly couple who had both tested positive. They met their children for Xmas and a day later the daughter tested positive followed by her husband and then this elderly couple. The home visit was requested by the daughter as she was worried about her parents . She had spoken to them the night before & they were not very well and now they were not answering the phone . Daughter wasn't well herself so couldn't go to check on them and they obviously couldn't ask anyone else

I went to their place , wore some PPE and then saw the couple. They were obviously suffering from the effects of the virus but were stable. Reason they had switched the phone off was because track & trace had been harassing them all day . I felt so uncomfortable & will continue to do so for a couple of weeks till I know I didn't get it. It's sad that stupidity of the people & government is leading to awful times for NHS staff

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
15,000 vaccines given in Ireland, over a week. Why is it so slow??
It somewhat lies in your statement.

Vaccines are readily available, vaccinations are challenging to administer in the best of times. Far too many moving parts involved once the vaccines leave the labs to ensure success as it has been promised to us.

It’s the ‘vaccination’ part of this that may continue to foul the good done by the ‘vaccines.’

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
After reading and re-reading these rules and newspaper articles etc I've decided that you aren't meant to drive to go for a cycle.

Ergh.
You can drive a short distance to access exercise within the village, town, or part of the city in which you live.

Which is fecking annoying as I'm a long distance hill walker so can't get to them, but live by some attractive parks so everybody else comes to near me and the place is fecking packed out with one mile an hour strollers and families on bikes that wouldn't normally be on them from one christmas to the next.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Had to do a home visit yesterday for an elderly couple who had both tested positive. They met their children for Xmas and a day later the daughter tested positive followed by her husband and then this elderly couple. The home visit was requested by the daughter as she was worried about her parents . She had spoken to them the night before & they were not very well and now they were not answering the phone . Daughter wasn't well herself so couldn't go to check on them and they obviously couldn't ask anyone else
For fukks sake, this is why we are where we are. Do twats not learn?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Help if you can.
You are a good man and have inspired me, ordered two chrombooks tonight and formatted my old laptop and tablet to donate.

Reactions: golden_blunder

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You can drive a short distance to access exercise within the village, town, or part of the city in which you live.

Which is fecking annoying as I'm a long distance hill walker so can't get to them, but live by some attractive parks so everybody else comes to near me and the place is fecking packed out with one mile an hour strollers and families on bikes that wouldn't normally be on them from one christmas to the next.
Yup. I said the same thing. The place I go to cycle is pretty huge and there aren't many people there. The local parks where kids play are much busier.

Still, I mustn't complain.

F-Red

Brisbane goes into lockdown as a cleaner contracts the new UK strain and may have spread it to others in the community. 3xdatsxinitially but likely to be for up to a month. Only a single case so far but you can't take risks with the vaccine so close.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...g-you-need-to-know?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Impressive that the UK strain has managed to infiltrate Australia, have they got any idea where this cleaner might have picked it up from?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Impressive that the UK strain has managed to infiltrate Australia, have they got any idea where this cleaner might have picked it up from?
Yes. One of the quarantine hotels. More a worry that she was out and about in Brisbane for many days when likely infectious.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is there any concrete evidence to suggest the "uk strain" originated here or was detected here?

F-Red

Yes. One of the quarantine hotels. More a worry that she was out and about in Brisbane for many days when likely infectious.
Ouch, the only true way to contain this is literally zero tolerance at the borders. Morally difficult mind.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ouch, the only true way to contain this is literally zero tolerance at the borders. Morally difficult mind.
All of our cases since the early days have been the virus escaping from quarantine in one way or another. We are now further reducing arrivals and ramping up procedures surrounding quarantine.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
So basically in US everyday dies as much people than in China in the whole pandemic and gets infected as 4 times as china in the whole pandemic. With 5 times less population

redshaw

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine appears effective against mutation

"Pfizer Inc and BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine appeared to work against a key mutation in the highly transmissible new variants of the coronavirus discovered in the UK and South Africa, according to a laboratory study conducted by the U.S. drugmaker.

The not-yet peer reviewed study by Pfizer and scientists from the University of Texas Medical Branch indicated the vaccine was effective in neutralizing virus with the so-called N501Y mutation of the spike protein."

Tests are ongoing for additional mutations found in the new variants.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You are a good man and have inspired me, ordered two chrombooks tonight and formatted my old laptop and tablet to donate.
This pleases me a lot. Great work Sir.

It self aggrandising as it applies to me too... but your effort today, really could be the difference in a kids life. Ordinarily it’s quite hard to move the needle. But a kid getting kit now, could ensure that they don’t fall behind. The difference between a slightly better 11+, GCSE’s latterly, A-levels, University.

I really do worry about some of these kids. I think the country could be doing a whole lot better.

My local school sits close to a huge office complex. In a just world, that company could give over its space for 2000 people to the school of 200 children. It’s a time of genuine crisis. Children could be sat 5m apart, using good quality IT equipment. Even if only for the mandated 3 hours a day.

But no. Our low energy government sees a School as a Building. It’s that one building. Or home with zero support.

Apologies. Added a rant to your pat on the back. You did good. Thank you.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Brazil, South Africa and a few other countries in the southern hemisphere seeing new peaks in coronavirus cases in the last few days, during their summer, suggests the weather doesn't play that big a role in transmission. Presumably it adds another layer on top but whether they're in winter or summer, the countries that are struggling now are just saying it's because "we let our guard down". No more transmissible variants discovered in Brazil yet but they do a lot less sequencing so maybe that's playing a role too and they just don't know it yet.

Mihai

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine appears effective against mutation

"Pfizer Inc and BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine appeared to work against a key mutation in the highly transmissible new variants of the coronavirus discovered in the UK and South Africa, according to a laboratory study conducted by the U.S. drugmaker.

The not-yet peer reviewed study by Pfizer and scientists from the University of Texas Medical Branch indicated the vaccine was effective in neutralizing virus with the so-called N501Y mutation of the spike protein."

Tests are ongoing for additional mutations found in the new variants.
Great news.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This pleases me a lot. Great work Sir.

It self aggrandising as it applies to me too... but your effort today, really could be the difference in a kids life. Ordinarily it’s quite hard to move the needle. But a kid getting kit now, could ensure that they don’t fall behind. The difference between a slightly better 11+, GCSE’s latterly, A-levels, University.

I really do worry about some of these kids. I think the country could be doing a whole lot better.

My local school sits close to a huge office complex. In a just world, that company could give over its space for 2000 people to the school of 200 children. It’s a time of genuine crisis. Children could be sat 5m apart, using good quality IT equipment. Even if only for the mandated 3 hours a day.

But no. Our low energy government sees a School as a Building. It’s that one building. Or home with zero support.

Apologies. Added a rant to your pat on the back. You did good. Thank you.
Thank you and all the same to you, your original post got me thinking, Yes my daughter is fine, has what she needs and is getting on ok, but its all too easy to fall into the trap of assuming everyone is in the same position, thanks for the reminder bud.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Brazil, South Africa and a few other countries in the southern hemisphere seeing new peaks in coronavirus cases in the last few days, during their summer, suggests the weather doesn't play that big a role in transmission. Presumably it adds another layer on top but whether they're in winter or summer, the countries that are struggling now are just saying it's because "we let our guard down". No more transmissible variants discovered in Brazil yet but they do a lot less sequencing so maybe that's playing a role too and they just don't know it yet.
I was talking to a colleague in South Africa yesterday and they’re working on the assumption that the surge is because they spend Christmas holidays gathering in crowds on beaches/parks etc. Outdoors but packed closely together, sharing toilet facilities and transport etc

redshaw

Last 4 days in Germany
Deaths 944, 1019, 1070, 1188 and yesterday 31k cases.

Not heard anything about a new variant over there. Perhaps eastern Europe and neighbour Poland getting hit hard recently and them being barely affected last year during March/Apr played a role in Germany seemingly doing well and now not. Would also expect Christmas traditions and overconfidence key.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I was talking to a colleague in South Africa yesterday and they’re working on the assumption that the surge is because they spend Christmas holidays gathering in crowds on beaches/parks etc. Outdoors but packed closely together, sharing toilet facilities and transport etc
Yeah they were saying similar in Brazil. More widespread and frequent but not all that different from these crowds in Brighton, I'd have thought, yet at that time cases still kept falling in the UK. Just seems to me that most of the correlations we've noticed are pretty weak, or at the very least they don't translate across different cultures and lifestyles.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
A huge sinkhole (500 square metres) has opened up in the carpark of a Naples hospital which is treating Covid patients. They've had to evacuate the hospital, fiefighters are checking to see if anyone is trapped in the hole.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Does anyone have a (rough) idea on how long the negative test 72 hours before arrival policy is here for in country's? Is it until if/when the vaccine puts numbers down to "respectable" levels or is it likely here to stay for aslong as Covid is present atall? Or something in-between?

Last edited:

Balljy

Does anyone have a (rough) idea on how long the negative test 72 hours before arrival policy is here for in country's? Is it until if/when the vaccine puts numbers down to "respectable" levels or is it likely here to stay for aslong as Covid is present atall? Or something in-between?
They won't have made a decision of when to end it yet, but it will be when it's down to controllable levels. Covid won't ever not be present now as we won't eradicate it from the entire worlds population at this stage and it can spread worldwide from any place (like Wuhan), it will become a controlled cyclical virus like some others as long as we have up to date vaccines.