SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tibs

Boris press conference.

Celebrating the success of the rollout so far, however an almost downbeat atmosphere with the emphasis being it isn't over yet, there is a long way to go.

Glad to see this approach tbh, the cnuts from the tory bench are popping up a lot more re ending lockdown, so this more downbeat approach will hopefully quieten them down.

Wolverine

Boris press conference.

Celebrating the success of the rollout so far, however an almost downbeat atmosphere with the emphasis being it isn't over yet, there is a long way to go.

Glad to see this approach tbh, the cnuts from the tory bench are popping up a lot more re ending lockdown, so this more downbeat approach will hopefully quieten them down.
The pace of the vaccine rollout next phase will be interesting though as we're going to have to deal with more than 7 million people in the 16-64 group who are carers and those with underlying health conditions (after the over 65s) so the over 60s and over 50s might have to wait some time. In addition March is around the time they'll have to start having a think about offering the second jab to those previously vaccinated.

There is a significant number of those who were offered the Pfizer vaccine as their first so any supply chain issue could slow the second jab as well. I think its good that they are focusing on pure number of people vaccinated. Although slightly annoys me when they say "have been vaccinated" rather than "have had first jab" because the latter is ultimately the goal.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Do you know what could be the next step in England? And if yes, when?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Dutch covid loons (Virus waarheid) have succesfully sued the state over imposing curfew. The judge has ruled that curfew has to be lifted immediately.

Im conflicted on this. I'll think it through tonight whilst drinking in a park.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Was checking our passports last night, just popped in my head not planning any trips.

my wife’s U.K. passport has expired in September- can do it online but will take at least 8 weeks. Not easy to find a place locally to take pictures either.

my eldest sons Irish passport expires end of this month but the passport office is totally closed so no chance of getting that done anytime soon
Is there a Photo Me booth in your biggest supermarket? Those also give you a digital code you can use for online applications.

We renewed oates's last year from here in Italy, and I downloaded the picture I took even though the UK Gov site said it wasn't acceptable, because it was obvious it was fine. It was accepted. If you take a pic against a white wall and it looks OK to you, it's probably OK.

The photo checking thing they have online is still fairly new and doesn't seem very reliable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The pace of the vaccine rollout next phase will be interesting though as we're going to have to deal with more than 7 million people in the 16-64 group who are carers and those with underlying health conditions (after the over 65s) so the over 60s and over 50s might have to wait some time. In addition March is around the time they'll have to start having a think about offering the second jab to those previously vaccinated.

There is a significant number of those who were offered the Pfizer vaccine as their first so any supply chain issue could slow the second jab as well. I think its good that they are focusing on pure number of people vaccinated. Although slightly annoys me when they say "have been vaccinated" rather than "have had first jab" because the latter is ultimately the goal.
Do you not get a breakdown of first and second jabs? Our covid hub in Ireland breaks it down into first and second doses. So we can fully appreciate how incredibly slowly our population is getting vaccinated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Brutal!

What's the delay due to now? HSE or lack of vaccinations? Or both?
It’s been the same delay all along. Supply of vaccines. With an added complication of the AZ vaccine lacking data in the groups we’re prioritising first (the elderly)

It seems to be ramping up now though, finally. 80,000 jabs scheduled for this week.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s been the same delay all along. Supply of vaccines. With an added complication of the AZ vaccine lacking data in the groups we’re prioritising first (the elderly)

It seems to be ramping up now though, finally. 80,000 jabs scheduled for this week.
Let's hope so. I think people will lose their fecking mind if we have another lockdown like this one and can't do things by summer time. Plus, the economy is bolloxed and we have a debt we can never repay!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Let's hope so. I think people will lose their fecking mind if we have another lockdown like this one and can't do things by summer time. Plus, the economy is bolloxed and we have a debt we can never repay!
Didn’t we have one of those already after we bailed out the banks?! I try not to think about that stuff. Macroeconomics is weird. It’s not real money. We’ll muddle through, I’m sure.

I think people are losing their minds with this lockdown, never mind another one. They really need to get the fecking schools open soon.

Eire Red United

Very frustrating comparing the south to the north. I wonder what will happen if (hopefully) everyone over 50 is jabbed in the north by the end of April and the south are lagging behind?

Wolverine

Do you not get a breakdown of first and second jabs? Our covid hub in Ireland breaks it down into first and second doses. So we can fully appreciate how incredibly slowly our population is getting vaccinated.
A lot of those who got second jabs were before the government recommendation to increase the interval to 2-3 months to space out the Pfizer and AZ vaccines. Mainly those who got second jabs were very elderly folks in London and some NHS staff

A few GPs have said feck it and went rogue against NHS England and decided to honour their commitment during consenting procedure to the ones they had already vaccinated before that advice came out and gave them the second jab around 28 days later. I don't think that's a lot of people in the grand scheme. There were a lot of cancellations for staff and patients too with regards to second vaccine appointments.

As of yesterday 15,300,151 people have received first dose, with 539,630 of those having a second dose

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Very frustrating comparing the south to the north. I wonder what will happen if (hopefully) everyone over 50 is jabbed in the north by the end of April and the south are lagging behind?
Yeah it’s going to be tricky. And will be a complete reverse of last year, where the virus was largely suppressed south of the border but running amok further north. Whatever, the more people vaccinated in (the island of) Ireland the better.

Last edited:

acnumber9

No doubt Sinn Fein will call for border closures like they do with the rest of the U.K.

RedRover

I agree with all of that, matches my experience exactly.
Yeah, tough times for some. I don't think there's any one size fits all approach here - some love it and would do it full time, others hate it and want to be the office and there's the middle ground (like me) who'll probably mix it up. I think we'll be more malleable with staff when this is all over.

acnumber9

Don’t be ridiculous. Have you any idea how difficult that would be to police.
Incredibly. But that’s not the point I’m making. If borders need to be closed to stop infection circulating, it shouldn’t matter which ones we’re referring to.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Didn’t we have one of those already after we bailed out the banks?! I try not to think about that stuff. Macroeconomics is weird. It’s not real money. We’ll muddle through, I’m sure.

I think people are losing their minds with this lockdown, never mind another one. They really need to get the fecking schools open soon.
Yeah I'm not worried about the economy. Its not in anyones interest to see us go under. Plus everyone owes money at this point.

Tibs

I watched a film called Contagion earlier on Netflix.

Uncanny how accurate it is

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Our Curfew in NL has been deemed to be 'An infringment on peoples freedom' by judges in the hague and they have asked to govt to cancel it immidiately. How bizzare.
Actually they said the law had no legal base for infringement on peoples freedom which is true. The goverment had to run it trough the Parliament. It’s just yet another feck up from the government and their legal advisors. SGP had told them beforehand. Now it will take weeks to install it again probably.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Actually they said the law had no legal base for infringement on peoples freedom which is true. The goverment had to run it trough the Parliament. It’s just yet another feck up from the government and their legal advisors. SGP had told them beforehand. Now it will take weeks to install it again probably.
Thats the same thing, anyhow, its fecking stupid, however, I don't think it's working. If you look at Fridays figures for the last 3 weeks they are the same.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
And 600k vaccines since jan 8, what the feck.

Baxter

This is surely impossible with mass testing? What’s the point of a vaccine if you’re basing decisions on arbitrary numbers. Beginning to get a horrible feeling this will never end. Much more months of this is going to be tough.

Struggling with the never ending cycle of work and sleep. Our area’s health board has a rate of around 45/100,000 just now and there’s no sign of any easing.

F-Red

This is surely impossible with mass testing? What’s the point of a vaccine if you’re basing decisions on arbitrary numbers. Beginning to get a horrible feeling this will never end. Much more months of this is going to be tough.

Struggling with the never ending cycle of work and sleep. Our area’s health board has a rate of around 45/100,000 just now and there’s no sign of any easing.
The issue is still the numbers in hospital. Unless that drops significantly along with admission numbers, the case number is broadly irrelevant at this point in a discussion around easing of lockdown.

stepic

The issue is still the numbers in hospital. Unless that drops significantly along with admission numbers, the case number is broadly irrelevant at this point in a discussion around easing of lockdown.
Numbers in hospital is dropping too though.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
This is for my county (Orange County, CA); data from the New York Times.

Note: The 14-day average is the average of a day and the previous 13 days of data.
An average of 704 cases per day were reported in Orange County, a 59 percent decrease from the average two weeks ago. We were at a daily high case count of 4514 in late December.
Recent deaths have dropped a lot too; from a 14 day average of 53 in late Jan down to 33 per day average for the last 14 days.

Some positives..

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Worldwide cases dropping drastically since a month or so - some much needed good news for once.

Free translation: pandemic is shrinking since the middle of January, from 750k worldwide cases per day at its peak to around 400k now.

lynchie

Yep, but there's more people in hospital with covid currently that there was in the first wave.
Just yesterday, the number of people in hospital dipped below the peak of the first wave. Cases, admissions, deaths etc all coming down fairly rapidly, but we have to acknowledge that it started at a very high level. Looking vaguely at how quickly the number of people in hospital is currently dropping, it takes about a month for it to reduce by half.