SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If it makes you feel any better these changes have bumped me from category 4 (HCWs with no patient contact) all the way to category 9. FML.
feck sake

I don’t understand how they’re gonna do them all before they bring the ‘book your own vaccine’ website online which is scheduled for april

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
feck sake

I don’t understand how they’re gonna do them all before they bring the ‘book your own vaccine’ website online which is scheduled for april
They’re getting through them at a fair lick now. The website will be most handy when we hit category 9, where the vast majority of the people belong. Some of whom might not have engaged with the healthcare services before. Until then they can keep working off GP databases.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
France shutting schools for 3 weeks
Bit misleading, they're closed for four days next week for primary schools and 11-18s after the Easter Monday holiday then it's the two week spring holiday which was happening anyway. Primary schools back after the holidays and 11-18 yo have another week working from home after the holidays.

The curfew is/was at 7pm (not 6pm), changed a while ago unknown to @stu_1992 :)

Last edited:

stu_1992

Bit misleading, they're closed for four days next week for primary schools and 11-18s after the Easter Monday holiday then it's the two week spring holiday which was happening anyway. Primary schools back after the holidays and 11-18 yo have another week working from home after the holidays.

The curfew is/was at 7pm (not 6pm), changed a while ago unknown to @stu_1992 :)
This is genuinely news to me. :lol: I was under the impression that the 7pm for for the regions under the new lockdown rules only, and the rest of us were still to adhere to 6pm. :rolleyes:

Strange thing is, a lot of places still seem to be closing at or just before 6 near me so I guess I didn't even notice.

DM07

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but what are people's view on reinfections. Everything I have read on the internet is extremely vague with hardly any concrete data on reinfections. Some people around me have told me they know of people who have been reinfected but I have always thought that it might be down to false positives, mix up of samples, or probably some other error. But my Uncle who lives next door has now tested positive for the second time in four months. His first was a definite case since he also lost smell and taste, but this time it's a mild fever with no chest infection detected in an HRCT.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but what are people's view on reinfections. Everything I have read on the internet is extremely vague with hardly any concrete data on reinfections. Some people around me have told me they know of people who have been reinfected but I have always thought that it might be down to false positives, mix up of samples, or probably some other error. But my Uncle who lives next door has now tested positive for the second time in four months. His first was a definite case since he also lost smell and taste, but this time it's a mild fever with no chest infection detected in an HRCT.
It's now known that there can be reinfections. Exceedingly rare in the first months after infection and still not common even after that, but it can happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's now known that there can be reinfections. Exceedingly rare in the first months after infection and still not common even after that, but it can happen.
Protection from prior infection gets lower as you get older too. Big observational study in Denmark showed only 47% protection in the over 65s (80% overall, all ages combined).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Weird, probably unexpected?

Suicides can be counter-intuitive. Hence they decline during wars/recessions and peak during periods of peace/prosperity. Presumably when everyone is stressed/miserable - and there’s an obvious reason for it - individuals might find their personal circumstances less uniquely wretched. It’s harder being unhappy if you’re surrounded by people who are loving life.

I remember making this point a year ago when lockdown sceptics were saying we’d lose more lives to suicide from lockdown than we would from the virus.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Suicides can be counter-intuitive. Hence they decline during wars/recessions and peak during periods of peace/prosperity. Presumably when everyone is stressed/miserable - and there’s an obvious reason for it - individuals might find their personal circumstances less uniquely wretched. It’s harder being unhappy if you’re surrounded by people who are loving life.

I remember making this point a year ago when lockdown sceptics were saying we’d lose more lives to suicide from lockdown than we would from the virus.
It is a bit mad but in fairness isn't there also an argument that we'll lose more lives to suicide from the massive recession that this will bring? I'm pretty sure the great recession of 08 brought massively increased suicide rates, right?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It is a bit mad but in fairness isn't there also an argument that we'll lose more lives to suicide from the massive recession that this will bring? I'm pretty sure the great recession of 08 brought massively increased suicide rates, right?
Historically, the really deep recessions/depressions didn’t cause an increase in suicides. But yeah, the most recent recession did. Small numbers of excess deaths overall though. Certainly compared to what we’re looking at from covid.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Data about recessions, misery and suicide

Suicidal people more covid-susceptible

Balljy

Historically, the really deep recessions/depressions didn’t cause an increase in suicides. But yeah, the most recent recession did. Small numbers of excess deaths overall though. Certainly compared to what we’re looking at from covid.
It remains to be seen but the outcome could be very different from a household perspective. The government have put in huge amounts of money to individuals, companies and the property market. When furlough payments end that's when we will know how many people have a job left or not but we don't really have much of a clue at the moment.

It's difficult to know what will happen, but it's very premature to predict anything until at least a year after furlough payments have ended.

I agree that we had to lockdown as we did but that will have an impact for years. I personally think the mortgage incentives were a joke as the property market has risen about 7% in a year where millions were effectively being paid by the government and GDP dropped by record margins. That can't be sustainable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It remains to be seen but the outcome could be very different from a household perspective. The government have put in huge amounts of money to individuals, companies and the property market. When furlough payments end that's when we will know how many people have a job left or not but we don't really have much of a clue at the moment.

It's difficult to know what will happen, but it's very premature to predict anything until at least a year after furlough payments have ended.

I agree that we had to lockdown as we did but that will have an impact for years. I personally think the mortgage incentives were a joke as the property market has risen about 7% in a year where millions were effectively being paid by the government and GDP dropped by record margins. That can't be sustainable.
I’m not denying the pain or the misery of lockdown. Or the long-term damage this pandemic will cause to the global economy. I just never bought into the idea that we had to either open society and let the virus rip or we would lose more people to suicide than to covid. The maths never even came close to adding up.

Balljy

I’m not denying the pain or the misery of lockdown. Or the long-term damage this pandemic will cause to the global economy. I just never bought into the idea that we had to either open society and let the virus rip or we would lose more people to suicide than to covid. The maths never even came close to adding up.
Agreed, as I said the only thing we could do is lock down society.

All I'm saying is the effects of that are unknown at the moment as the mortgage defaults, unemployment situations are going to be "interesting" over the next 18 months. Suicide rates, debt and employment rates aren't really going to be known until furlough ends and people start suffering due to that. At the moment furlough is putting a delay on those people who have lost their jobs but don't realise that yet.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Are most people looking at the vaccine in the wrong way? As far as I understand from some people in the health industry, the main purpose of it now is to stop the deaths and hospitalisation. Also to stop the other complications that arise from getting the covid infection. Not to stop the transmission or getting infected. If so is the case then there would be people getting tested positive but it would be non fatal.

golden_blunder

Staff

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Let me guess? (wannabe) influencers
I can imagine the disgusting lips. Why do women do it?
I saw one girl in a shop yesterday and she looked like she got a belt in the mouth from Clubber Lang.

Absolute cnuts the pair of them.
I hope they get a hefty fine and two weeks in the hotel.

Who pays for hotel actually? They better be fined enough to cover the cost of it.

golden_blunder

Staff
I can imagine the disgusting lips. Why do women do it?
I saw one girl in a shop yesterday and she looked like she got a belt in the mouth from Clubber Lang.

Absolute cnuts the pair of them.
I hope they get a hefty fine and two weeks in the hotel.

Who pays for hotel actually? They better be fined enough to cover the cost of it.
They pay for it. Almost 2k

any savings they might have made on plastic surgery gone.

hope they enjoy it

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
they went to get their tits done the fecking cretins.
The more I read the more it makes me mad.

Their solicitor is saying to let them off as there is nobody to look after their kids!!!!!

DO they not have fathers?? Well maybe they dont even know who the fathers are.
WHO the feck was looking after the kds while they were getting poxy tits done in the middle east!!!!! We are staying within 5kms of our houses.
They are going to another continent for vanity purposes. Its infuriating.