SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
they went to get their tits done the fecking cretins.
The more I read the more it makes me mad.

Their solicitor is saying to let them off as there is nobody to look after their kids!!!!!

DO they not have fathers?? Well maybe they dont even know who the fathers are.
WHO the feck was looking after the kds while they were getting poxy tits done in the middle east!!!!! We are staying within 5kms of our houses.
They are going to another continent for vanity purposes. Its infuriating.
Shoulda thought about that before buggering off to Dubai in the middle of a pandemic

zing

Zingle balls
Does recovering from covid provide sterilising immunity?
A friend of mine, who recovered from covid, was in contact with someone who tested positive a few days back. Wondering what the right protocol is for him to follow, should he be isolating?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not been mentioned enough, so I will. 10 deaths from Covid yesterday in the UK, and now 10 deaths today. It might be weekend counting but 10 is ridiculously low even then. It's not just lockdown that's achieved this, it's mainly the vaccines for the elderly and vulnerable.

Infection rates are also down to sub 3000 despite even more testing. So lots of hope that the vaccines are halting the passing on of the virus too. It's amazing what we've seen over the last year.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes, I was wondering how we'd got to 8 billion infected with Covid. It's actually 131.6 million. Well, we all know those aren't accurate worldwide figures, but we can only work with what we have.
Yes, of course only those with a positive test have been infected by Covid. I didn't get tested and sicked it out at home. I guess it could have the flu. For those under 50 it might as well be. Do me a favour and look up the popularity of these tests for countries bigger than your tiny island. You'll find that no gives a shit about them, and the excess mortality over there points to a very large amount of infections.

thats the stupidest stat I’ve ever read in my life
You can do the math generously and have it result in a 99.991% survival rate. Or a 99,3% survival rate. The greater point still stands. For a disease which kills almost exclusively the elderly and already very sick, we've been doing a lot of stupid shit like mask mandates.

:lol::lol:, I'd advise you to stay away from Qanon stuff, you sound like the nut job I work with
Does he also have a BSc? I only ask because you seem like the guy that's obsessed with authority and "experts".

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does he also have a BSc? I only ask because you seem like the guy that's obsessed with authority and "experts".
I’m like you, I prefer to get my medical information from Facebook friends who went to the University of Life.

golden_blunder

Staff
thats the stupidest stat I’ve ever read in my life
Yep, let’s compress 2.8million people down to a stat. 2.8 million people! Incredible

that’s before asking them the question that none of them seem to be able to answer; if it’s so normal why did the world economy shut down in every country?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yes, of course only those with a positive test have been infected by Covid. I didn't get tested and sicked it out at home. I guess it could have the flu. For those under 50 it might as well be. Do me a favour and look up the popularity of these tests for countries bigger than your tiny island. You'll find that no gives a shit about them, and the excess mortality over there points to a very large amount of infections.

You can do the math generously and have it result in a 99.991% survival rate. Or a 99,3% survival rate. The greater point still stands. For a disease which kills almost exclusively the elderly and already very sick, we've been doing a lot of stupid shit like mask mandates.

How are people still peddling this unmitigated stupidity?

Balljy

If we want to to judge entire populations by individual experiences lets go with mine where I've spent the last 10 months feeling like crap and having tests due to the effects of long covid and I'm well under 50. Glad you were fine though as that's what matters.

Your maths don't make any sense. You start off by saying the entire worlds population have had long covid so the mortality rate is tiny, but in the next post are pointing to high mortality. If we can't trust the tested figures as you insinuate and it's not actually the whole worlds population then there is no maths that would give you an accurate mortality rate.

By the way, most of the world has been in lockdown which kind of says that far fewer people have had it than would have otherwise.

Those figures don't make any sense as you've already admitted that you don't know how many people have had it (somewhere between 131.6 million and 8 billion according to you).

decorativeed

People who walk 3 abreast on pavements sadly escape it though. If it just impacted them I’d say let it run wild.
Them and people with loud cars. Have at them. Oh and people that fire up the barbecue as soon as you've hung your washing out.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I’m like you, I prefer to get my medical information from Facebook friends who went to the University of Life.
I don't have facebook. But an argument like this makes me think you do and believe everything that's on CNN.
Anyway, good talk. I apologize for caring about the lives of the other 99,3%
I'm like you, I think offending someone is worse than destroying ones lifelihood.

Yep, let’s compress 2.8million people down to a stat. 2.8 million people! Incredible

that’s before asking them the question that none of them seem to be able to answer; if it’s so normal why did the world economy shut down in every country?
You might need to sit down for this.

2.8 million of which most elderly or already very sick people

There's no need to feel scared by not directing the question at me. I never said "it's" (meaning what exactly) is normal. It's a nasty virus, my point is that we can't do anything about it and the draconian shit isn't justified.

Regardless, the answer is (justified) fear and the initial (justified) lockdown. Also there's a pinball effect. Meaning Germany screws Sweden even if the latter doesn't do a lockdown. Were you old enough to remember 2008?

Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world.
If i were to propose a ban on driving, what would your response be to my argument that you don't care about the 1.35m annual deaths?
There's no reason why we can't stop driving to save the 1.35m lives. We can label the few that absolutely have to "essential businesses" or whatever. A ban on driving sounds far less stupid than a ban on the most basic of social interactions. To a rational person at least.

If we want to to judge entire populations by individual experiences lets go with mine where I've spent the last 10 months feeling like crap and having tests due to the effects of long covid and I'm well under 50. Glad you were fine though as that's what matters.

Your maths don't make any sense. You start off by saying the entire worlds population have had long covid so the mortality rate is tiny, but in the next post are pointing to high mortality. If we can't trust the tested figures as you insinuate and it's not actually the whole worlds population then there is no maths that would give you an accurate mortality rate.

By the way, most of the world has been in lockdown which kind of insinuates that far fewer people have had it than would have otherwise.

Those figures don't make any sense as you've already admitted that you don't know how many people have had it (somewhere between 131.6 million and 8 billion according to you).
I never did what you're accusing me of. Read again. I pointed to excess mortality. Excess does not mean "high".

I didn't insinuate anything. I said the cases of deaths with Covid (instead of causal) would probably not affect the survival rate rate any more than the amount of people that haven't had covid. You know since were only dealing with 2 something million deaths, an increase/decrease over there has a more profound effect on the actual number.
But since, you're so obsessed with the actual surival rate. You pick one. No really, There's enough figures to make estimates. 99,3%? 99%? pick one dude. I'll use it from now on.

How many people did we save with the lockdown? If you think it's marginally more than the amount of people dying from increased sucidies, increased obesity, undiagnosed ilnesses, stress, etc you clearly haven't been attention. Let alone the draconian measures being a giant violation of constitutional rights in many nations.

You got sick, you recovered. Good for you if you wanna use your experience to justify muzzling children, closing down businesses or travel. 99,3% of people have a life to live, including you.

Do you live an unhealthy lifestyle? Meaning you: don't sleep what you should be sleeping, you eat poorly, you don't lift, you don't exercise, you're overweight, etc?

Do you have pre-existing conditions and were you careless?

This might come as a shock to anyone from the nation of the great NHS.
The vast, vast majority of people are responsible for their own health. By the time you're not, you should have the ability to say goodbye to your family without plexiglass in between, or you're more than capable to decide if you want to see your grandchildren.

Edit:
I see that opposing views aren't allowed on this topic. Absolutely nothing I have said is "conspiratorial". I won't bother responding since any mention of an accurate mortality/survival rate will throw the Brit mods panties in a bunch and question the new found meaning in their live of "helping to fight the good fight" by agreeing to mask mandates and lockdowns. I'll link to this thread on another forum in case questioning your own believes does not make you uncomfortable.

The mod who deleted might as well have been the subject of this article

golden_blunder

Staff
What are you on about a driving ban for? Driving is something most people can control. Most accidents are down to one side not paying enough attention

how does that compare to covid? When you might be unlucky enough to get it from a delivery.

again just washing away all the old. Hey they’re just old right?

what a selfish cnut you are

Balljy

But since, you're so obsessed with the actual surival rate. You pick one. No really, There's enough figures to make estimates. 99,3%? 99%? pick one dude. I'll use it from now on.
If the mortality rate is 99% and we let it run riot the number of deaths is too scary to think about, never mind the deaths from people who can't get into the full hospitals.

How many people did we save with the lockdown? If you think it's marginally more than the amount of people dying from increased sucidies, increased obesity, undiagnosed ilnesses, stress, etc you clearly haven't been attention. Let alone the draconian measures being a giant violation of constitutional rights in many nations.
We certainly saved a lot.

You got sick, you recovered. Good for you if you wanna use your experience to justify muzzling children, closing down businesses or travel. 99,3% of people have a life to live, including you.
I haven't fully recovered as a lot of other people haven't as well. I'm getting there though. You used the fact you had no long-term symptoms to make a point, but I guess no-one else can.

Do you live an unhealthy lifestyle? Meaning you: don't sleep what you should be sleeping, you eat poorly, you don't lift, you don't exercise, you're overweight, etc?

No, very healthy and always have been, sleep well, eat well, play football and not remotely overweight. Anything else you want to use as an excuse on why healthy people can't suffer even though that's proven now?

It's also quite rude to assume otherwise, but guess that's just your posting style.

Last edited:

mitChley

I don't have facebook. But an argument like this makes me think you do and believe everything that's on CNN.
Anyway, good talk. I apologize for caring about the lives of the other 99,3%
I'm like you, I think offending someone is worse than destroying ones lifelihood.

You might need to sit down for this.

2.8 million of which most elderly or already very sick people

There's no need to feel scared by not directing the question at me. I never said "it's" (meaning what exactly) is normal. It's a nasty virus, my point is that we can't do anything about it and the draconian shit isn't justified.

Regardless, the answer is (justified) fear and the initial (justified) lockdown. Also there's a pinball effect. Meaning Germany screws Sweden even if the latter doesn't do a lockdown. Were you old enough to remember 2008?

Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world.
If i were to propose a ban on driving, what would your response be to my argument that you don't care about the 1.35m annual deaths?
There's no reason why we can't stop driving to save the 1.35m lives. We can label the few that absolutely have to "essential businesses" or whatever. A ban on driving sounds far less stupid than a ban on the most basic of social interactions. To a rational person at least.

I never did what you're accusing me of. Read again. I pointed to excess mortality. Excess does not mean "high".

I didn't insinuate anything. I said the cases of deaths with Covid (instead of causal) would probably not affect the survival rate rate any more than the amount of people that haven't had covid. You know since were only dealing with 2 something million deaths, an increase/decrease over there has a more profound effect on the actual number.

This might come as a shock to anyone from the nation of the great NHS.
The vast, vast majority of people are responsible for their own health. By the time you're not, you should have the ability to say goodbye to your family without plexiglass in between, or you're more than capable to decide if you want to see your grandchildren.

Edit:
I see that opposing views aren't allowed on this topic. Absolutely nothing I have said is "conspiratorial". I won't bother responding since any mention of an accurate mortality/survival rate will throw the Brit mods panties in a bunch and question the new found meaning in their live of "helping to fight the good fight" by agreeing to mask mandates and lockdowns. I'll link to this thread on another forum in case questioning your own believes does not make you uncomfortable.

The mod who deleted might as well have been the subject of this article
I've not followed a lot of what you've posted but christ, that's one of the worst takes I've read in a long long time.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
@LovelyLittlePanda, there are actually fewer than 8 billion people in the world, but that's besides the point.

Your argument still doesn't make sense, because just as many people have recovered from Covid and haven't been been counted in the numbers, many other people have died of Covid and also not been counted in the numbers. I had said we can only work with the figures we have.

To look at the mortality, you can only look at total number of reported infections and total number of reported Covid deaths. You can't use the whole world population as your starting point.

edit - and I don't live on a tiny island, I'm in southern Europe.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
@LovelyLittlePanda, there are actually fewer than 8 billion people in the world, but that's besides the point.

Your argument still doesn't make sense, because just as many people have recovered from Covid and haven't been been counted in the numbers, many other people have died of Covid and also not been counted in the numbers. I had said we can only work with the figures we have.

To look at the mortality, you can only look at total number of reported infections and total number of reported Covid deaths. You can't use the whole world population as your starting point.

He has no mention of long COVID which is affecting an untold number of people.

it’s ok to question government’s handling of the pandemic, but to say let it run free is quite idiotic, 1st you’d have hospitals filling up COVID patients, then the yearly flu patients, winter vomiting bug and so on in a system that’s struggling. Then think about how many variants there would be world wide if it wasn’t semi controlled, vaccines would be out of date before they launched.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
What are you on about a driving ban for? Driving is something most people can control. Most accidents are down to one side not paying enough attention

how does that compare to covid? When you might be unlucky enough to get it from a delivery.

again just washing away all the old. Hey they’re just old right?

what a selfish cnut you are
You can control "social distancing", "wearing a mask" or whatever (but you really can't, because we're social creatures) and you feel those things are justified for 2.8m deaths on a global level. Correct?

I feel we should stop driving to avoid 1.35m annual deaths. But hey, they choose to get in their vehicle? You're a selfish cnut for not doing anything and everything to stop them from dying! :mad:

Where does the madness end?

Old people are free to distance themselves or wear a mask. At least I respect an 80 year old enough to decide for themselves if they want to see their grandchildren.

If the mortality rate is 99% and we let it run riot the number of deaths is too scary to think about, never mind the deaths from people who can't get into the full hospitals.

I haven't fully recovered as a lot of other people haven't as well. I'm getting there though. You used the fact you had no symptoms to make a point, but I guess no-one else can.

No, very healthy and always have been, sleep well, eat well, play football and not remotely overweight. Anything else you want to use as an excuse on why healthy people can't suffer even though that's proven now?
"Suffer"? Dude you got sick and recovered. We all have. I'd suggest you get used to some level of pain or discomfort. You know the type of shit which is bound to happen when you get older.

It's already "run Riot", it's a virus. The lockdowns, curfew, mask mandate haven't had a drastic enough effect on the number of deaths to justify the draconian measures. Let alone that they're not being followed because they're inhumane.

So many words to say "I'm dumb as a brick"
So few words to say "I do as I'm told".

This is a right wing web site and the author is affiliated with Breitbart. Is this your idea of a quality source ?
It's an OPINION piece.

The bolded bit is not only childish, it shows you struggle with divisions. What difference does 2.85m/7.8b or 2.85m/8b make? not a whole lot. It's called rounding. The worlds population is set to be 8 billion in 2023, with or without Covid. Use google.

You're talking as you've only been listening to the fear porn and we have no data. We do. We can look at everyone who has tested positive and see if they die of Covid You're saying I can't say the mortality rate is 0,7%, because it might be 1%.
It's roughly 1%, this might get me censored, because it makes you/the mod/facebook uncomfortable to think that such a low number is justifying keeping your children out of school and your parents away from the kids.

All I did with my initial (deleted) post was argue that because plenty of symptomatic and asymptomatic have contracted covid, the number is reasonably much, much lower than the ones you would get using the above method. Also it's not factoring the deaths from undiagnosed illnesses, increased obesity, increased stress, etc.

Anyway. You google it, you bring up the data, you give me a number. I'll use any number you give me ranging from 0,003% to 2%. If you come up with a number outside of that range, you would be a moron. You'll be surprised at how low the number is considering you've been watching fear porn for over a year.

it’s ok to question government’s handling of the pandemic, but to say let it run free is quite idiotic, 1st you’d have hospitals filling up COVID patients, then the yearly flu patients, winter vomiting bug and so on in a system that’s struggling. Then think about how many variants there would be world wide if it wasn’t semi controlled, vaccines would be out of date before they launched.
Oh yeah, the fecking long Covid is what's killing people more than undiagnosed cancer and increased obesity and less healthier lifestyles (the latter making Covid even more "deadly"). I venture to say the increased smoking from increased stress because of the lockdown is gonna cause more suffering from lung cancer alone than the long term affects of a covid infection (which you're gonna get infected with or without lockdown, eventually). But I guess we're both talking out of our ass, since you didn't post numbers.

I got news for you, most people living right now are suffering from long term effects of previous trauma. It's called living your life. It's also called getting over it. If you want to quarantine yourself go right ahead. Stop telling me and my grandma we can't say goodbye to each other (unless it's through a phone held up by a nurse).

Also since you Brits are run by Tories. How many deaths will their NHS cuts cost and other budget cuts cost you once this is all over?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Of course. Your point about the terrible effect it's had on health systems (in all countries, not just developing ones) is probably the main reason why this can't be treated like any other infectious disease. It doesn't matter if you have a publicly-funded system or a private one, they're all creaking and some of them have completely collapsed - like Brazil's, where the president has decided to let Covid run its course.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not so lovely little panda isn't on fb, but if he was, you know he'd be one of those who only posts in memes, and nonsense like one I saw the other day that went along the lines of "such a deadly disease that you probably don't even know you have it, and for 99.9% who have it it has no effects"

The way he dismisses 2.8million deaths as nothing is quite disturbing.
I hope he doesn't have ONE person close to him (presuming there are any people close to him) die from it.

mitChley

So few words to say "I do as I'm told".
I do what I can to try and avoid catching Covid, for the sake of my own health but also the risk of then potentially giving it to other, less healthy, people. But I guess that just makes me a sucker. I should just have gone round licking windows like yourself and hoping I'd be OK, I wish I'd told my mate before he passed away from Covid that this was all fine, he was only 34 but I guess that's the price for doing what he's told. What a chump.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yup 2 good reasons
And your sick children with cancer, severe asthma or organ problems. They probably don't need to hang around too long either using up the world's resources which could go to healthy recovering people like little panda instead. If you love kids so much just make another (healthier) one.

Balljy

"Suffer"? Dude you got sick and recovered. We all have. I'd suggest you get used to some level of pain or discomfort. You know the type of shit which is bound to happen when you get older.
I literally just told you I haven't yet after 10 months, multiple hospital appointments, drugs and scans. You're really a lovely little panda aren't you?

Millions have died prematurely, whether it's a few weeks or a few years that's still a bad thing. there's a recent story about the million long covid sufferers just in the UK and we should be listening to you..

Long Covid: More than a million affected in February, survey suggests - BBC News

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'm going to be lazy and quote myself. All that's happened since my original post two weeks ago is that the numbers have risen.

In terms of actual UK data that ignores how many people have been infected but looking at the total population of the UK instead, around 0.2% of the UK population have died.

Breaking that down further:
Around 0.26% of the adult population have died, with the number of people estimated to have had covid running at below 20% that would suggest an overall adult IFR of above 1%.
It looks like it has already killed around 1% of the over 65s.
And around 15,000 x 15-64 year olds, mostly male and mostly in the 45-64 group - which means that actual deaths are running at around 0.04% in the working age population, which could turn into something far worse if more of the population did get infected.
Based on the latest ONS around 20% of the UK population have had covid at some point in the last year. That's based on blood antibodies in a random sample of the UK population not on people volunteering to be tested because they're experiencing symptoms and that's what's happened despite the lockdowns and social distancing.

The back of the envelope calculation suggests that if that number went up to 100% around 1% of the country will die. It's true that it's not the end of life on earth, but it's a big deal if you or your family is part of the statistic.

That however ignores the impact on the health service - if it had been overwhelmed then excess deaths would have risen even further. At which point you either leave all the covid cases at home, including the ones who a couple of nights with oxygen and/or other medical support could have saved or you continue to try and treat them and there's no room for any other kind of health care and no chance of the staff coping.

Some countries don't get the same choice, they can't afford the health service or the care systems (or even the food, safe water, shelter) and the elderly, the disabled, the cancer sufferers, the ones with compromised immune systems die anyway - pandemic or not. If you're in a rich country though, you have to look at your own country's situation to decide how many people you're willing to let die. Wearing a mask doesn't sound like a big deal to me, if it saves someone's dad or their grannie or it stops an unlucky 30 year old catching a disease that can leave them disabled for months.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Not so lovely little panda isn't on fb, but if he was, you know he'd be one of those who only posts in memes, and nonsense like one I saw the other day that went along the lines of "such a deadly disease that you probably don't even know you have it, and for 99.9% who have it it has no effects"

The way he dismisses 2.8million deaths as nothing is quite disturbing.
I hope he doesn't have ONE person close to him (presuming there are any people close to him) die from it.
You're on FB, you would know.
You realize you're saying my criticism of the lockdown and other draconian measures is nonsense because I didn't cry enough about 2.8m deaths? Great argument.

No amount of stupid shit like not sending your kids to school is going to reduce that number. A similar number is going to die eventually and with how easily the virus is mutating and spreading to animals as well, waiting till we vaccinate everyone (including the 3rd world which we have track record of not giving a shit about), before we get some mutant that vaccine does 0 shits against is wishful thinking.

I do what I can to try and avoid catching Covid, for the sake of my own health but also the risk of then potentially giving it to other, less healthy, people. But I guess that just makes me a sucker. I should just have gone round licking windows like yourself and hoping I'd be OK, I wish I'd told my mate before he passed away from Covid that this was all fine, he was only 34 but I guess that's the price for doing what he's told. What a chump.
I have adhered to all laws and advice I've been required to since the start of the pandemic. Including not going to work, keeping my distance (except when some smelly runner runs up behind me with his mate), wearing a mask inside, not meeting up in groups, etc.

Except for hugging in my mom (she's a doc specializing in public health) and bro when I go to visit once in a blue moon. Which is exactly my point, no one that's reading this has done everything 100% by the book. Because it's not fecking possible. I never said we shouldn't make an effort to reduce the spread of the virus. I think a lot of the measures go too far far too little return. The 9pm curfew over here is total horseshit. I can't even go for a walk by myself after work? I oppose government spying, I oppose headscarf bans, I oppose a curfew. It has nothing to do with covid deaths.

Sorry to hear about your mate, if you want to feel better by blaming people critical of keeping children out of school, like me, feel free. I once had a 14y old mate who died of a heart condition on the pitch. If only we banned uncontrolled exercise we could have saved his live :rolleyes:

And your sick children with cancer, severe asthma or organ problems. They probably don't need to hang around too long either using up the world's resources which could go to healthy recovering people like little panda instead. If you love kids so much just make another (healthier) one.
The sick children are children, DUMBstar. They're gonna touch the doorknob that has snot on it and then rub their eyes, they're gonna go near adults and forget the rules in their enthusiasm. If they need to stay isolated anyway, why the feck

Do all the other kids need to have their education compromised
Can't I not go for a walk by myself after 9pm

You have 0 evidence either of the above will even save one child. What will help is all of us isolating permanently. I guarantee you we will save some poor child's life.

They will die for the same reasons advanced aids patient with compromised immune systems will eventually die, and the poor children will feck up a lot quicker and a lot more often than the aids patient.

You're gonna need to get over the "oh the poor children with cancer" argument and decide based on cost-benefit. It's how policy works. It's part of growing up. Don't be the 14 year old vegan girl who doesn't like the idea of animals killing each other. It will happen just like kids with cancer. I believe in a God and I hate him. Have you read the old testament? He's a bad dude.

I literally just told you I haven't yet after 10 months, multiple hospital appointments, drugs and scans. You're really a lovely little panda aren't you?

Millions have died prematurely, whether it's a few weeks or a few years that's still a bad thing. there's a recent story about the million long covid sufferers just in the UK and we should be listening to you..

Long Covid: More than a million affected in February, survey suggests - BBC News
And how many people did you spread covid to and kill during all those?

Yes people dying prematurely is a bad thing. So is keeping your kids out of school (very harmful), curfews (unproven to help), and mask mandates (help very very little, according to the head of the Dutch public health services, from NOS, the Dutch BBC)

That's a lot of dirty words for saying you disagree with his opinion. It should be easy to dismantle it now that you've said he's basically Ben Shapiro.

This describes a lot of people that agree with all the draconian shit, from your link:
After all, Trump and the right-wing media regularly encourage their base of comfortable suburbanites to overreact to insignificant or nonexistent threats of this sort, and they eat it up
I'm going to be lazy and quote myself. All that's happened since my original post two weeks ago is that the numbers have risen.

Based on the latest ONS around 20% of the UK population have had covid at some point in the last year. That's based on blood antibodies in a random sample of the UK population not on people volunteering to be tested because they're experiencing symptoms and that's what's happened despite the lockdowns and social distancing.

The back of the envelope calculation suggests that if that number went up to 100% around 1% of the country will die. It's true that it's not the end of life on earth, but it's a big deal if you or your family is part of the statistic.

That however ignores the impact on the health service - if it had been overwhelmed then excess deaths would have risen even further. At which point you either leave all the covid cases at home, including the ones who a couple of nights with oxygen and/or other medical support could have saved or you continue to try and treat them and there's no room for any other kind of health care and no chance of the staff coping.

Some countries don't get the same choice, they can't afford the health service or the care systems (or even the food, safe water, shelter) and the elderly, the disabled, the cancer sufferers, the ones with compromised immune systems die anyway - pandemic or not. If you're in a rich country though, you have to look at your own country's situation to decide how many people you're willing to let die. Wearing a mask doesn't sound like a big deal to me, if it saves someone's dad or their grannie or it stops an unlucky 30 year old catching a disease that can leave them disabled for months.
Great post and I'm glad you reposted.

We really don't know if this near indefinite lockdown will prevent the 20% figure of reaching a 100%. There might as well be a new mutant somewhere in a furry little animal or in a human in a far off land that the current vaccines won't protect for. Do we go into another 2 year lockdown with violations of my constitutional rights 'till we develop a new vaccine?

It's true that health providers would be overwhelmed more than without a lockdown. But why are we not looking at deaths caused by the lockdown? We're all fatter, we exercise less, we're less happy, we're more stressed, we're addicted more, etc, etc. How much permanent damage does the disruption of social life do to our children? How much unhappiness and deaths will our right wing governments cause when they get to chop at your NHS, education or public parks because we've ballooned the debt?

My problem with wearing a mask is the same as my problem with Geert Wilders' proposed headscarf ban or the current burka ban. People should able to decide freely what they want to wear, especially when the cloth mask has a very, very, very small net positive effect. Being okay with a 2 year mask mandate is dangerously close to the dude that says: "Why should I care they're spying on me, I've got nothing to hide". Of course, a lot of people including the "you're a dumb trump supporting FB guy for questioning my believes" crowd, like @Sandikan @Pexbo think like that, which is a much bigger problem in our society than a virus that's 4 times as deadly as a bad seasonal flu. (don't be lazy @mod by pressing that delete button. Google it and see this figure is correct and IMHO very generous)

Last edited:

Balljy

And how many people did you spread covid to and kill during all those?
None? I self isolated whilst I had covid itself (and wasn't that ill at the time). You aren't infectious with long covid as I'm sure you know, it's the after effects it has on the body that cause it...

Last edited:

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
None? I self isolated whilst I had it (and wasn't that ill at the time). You aren't infectious with long covid as I'm sure you know...
My bad.

It's easy to forget when the actual disease was far less damaging to me (and 99% of people) than the government mandated stuff that has me struggling to earn a living or has me say the last farewell to a loved one through a phone held up by a nurse.

It was leaked by die Welt that the German government even hired a bunch of scientists to maximize the amount of fear porn and its effects so people would happily comply with the lockdown:

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...enministerium-Wissenschaftler-einspannte.html

Let's hope mr Mod doesn't argue Die Welt isn't a reputable enough source for him or that it's "conspiratorial".

How easily people have bought into the fear porn is abundantly clear when half of the replies to my post (the stupid half) don't contain anything of substance. It's scary when you think they've accepted uprooting their entire life without even the most basic grasp on the subject, like how there's a 99% survival rate.