SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dante

Average bang
4 weeks after the start of the Euros. I tend to think it's related.

Thankfully for The Netherlands, they heroically got knocked out by the Czechs to keep the infection rates from exploding even more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
She’s quite annoyingly negative on Twitter and seems overly obsessed with long covid but hard to argue with anything she says here. The “what about cancer patients” argument is infuriating.

Is it correct that only 50% of the UK are fully vaccinated? That seems very low? We passed that milestone last week in Ireland and we’ve consistently been miles behind the UK in our roll-out.
Think it's 34.5m currently so well over 60%.

Edit: Sorry too slow as already covered below your query.

SirAnderson

Hey guys,

A question related to how soon can one contract covid again after you had it, is there any clear guidence on that?
No vaccine available for the age group in question as yet.

Classical Mechanic

Poll finds that only 35% of Brits support ‘freedom day’. 50% oppose. I suppose the ‘don’t knows’ are a worry but hopefully this means that plenty will remain cautious.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Anyone else really hate the name “freedom day”?

It’s got a weird twisted privilege attached to it.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know about a weird twisted privilege but its bloody annoying, especially when it doesn't reflect popular public sentiment. Feels like the British libertarian faction of the Tory party are flexing too much power.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't know about a weird twisted privilege but its bloody annoying, especially when it doesn't reflect popular public sentiment. Feels like the British libertarian faction of the Tory party are flexing too much power.
I mean in the sense that it takes a certain level of privilege to consider the current situation we’re in to be in any way comparable to not being “free” as people.

The term “freedom day” being previously used in association with the 13th amendment in the US and the end of slavery. Whereas we’re being asked to put a piece of cloth over our faces when we go to Tesco and not stand too close to people.

But also yea it’s just generally annoying.

hp88

Poll finds that only 35% of Brits support ‘freedom day’. 50% oppose. I suppose the ‘don’t knows’ are a worry but hopefully this means that plenty will remain cautious.
I don't see what the hype is all about, we have all been allowed to go see our friends and family, go out for meals or drinks etc.. I have even squeezed in two weddings last month so life has kind of gone back to pre covid times with the only difference being I have had to wear a mask to some of the places I have been to.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can anyone else see the Government trying somehow to shame people into still wearing masks? I could definitely see one of their daft slogans coming up

djembatheking

It is looking like masks and social distancing measures are going to carry on in Wales on public transport, health care , hospitals, doctors surgeries, dentists and even possibly in shops.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It is looking like masks and social distancing measures are going to carry on in Wales on public transport, health care , hospitals, doctors surgeries, dentists and even possibly in shops.
No mention of pubs though which, let’s face it, all people care about here in Wales - standing up drinking

djembatheking

No mention of pubs though which, let’s face it, all people care about here in Wales - standing up drinking
I think its more that essential things for the older more vulnerable like shops, transport, doctors are still being protected whereas people can avoid indoor areas in busy pubs if they choose , especially for a month or so whilst the weather is mild .

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think its more that essential things for the older more vulnerable like shops, transport, doctors are still being protected whereas people can avoid indoor areas in busy pubs if they choose , especially for a month or so whilst the weather is mild .
Yeah makes sense

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Just saw an ad from C4 music which kept saying “summer of freedom”. Setting perhaps an expectation for people which will be hard to return from if there is a lockdown later

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm thinking that Covid cases are going to spike as a result of the Euros. Would a lockdown either in August or September actually be beneficial in ensuring that people will have a normal Christmas?

Blessing in disguise or nah?

Irwin99

We live in the age of the marketing slogan (Make America Great Again, Brexit means Brexit etc.) It's all pandering media bollocks that actually works well sadly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How will it go if people have to spend another Christmas in lockdown?

I think people might tolerate a late October lockdown in order to have a normal Christmas, the weather will be shit by that time so people don't go out that much anyway.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

I think people might tolerate a late October lockdown in order to have a normal Christmas, the weather will be shit by that time so people don't go out that much anyway.
Sounds like you want a lock down

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Well I’ve just been told in no that it’s irreversible so presuming there won’t be another lockdown. Unless it’s just bollox to make people have a nice summer without worrying so much

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well I’ve just been told in no that it’s irreversible so presuming there won’t be another lockdown. Unless it’s just bollox to make people have a nice summer without worrying so much
We were told Dortmund wouldn't negotiate too :wenger:

Sounds like you want a lock down
If it means having a normal Christmas it might be best. Covid hasn't been solved.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Haha, that’s one way. I mean more like trying to nudge people into making not wearing a mask in indoor public places somehow socially unacceptable. Freedom indeed.
That’s a normal part of a functioning society. Discouraging people from doing things that are dangerous to society in exchange for obviously tolerable inconveniences for the individual, without having to resort to law enforcement. What kind of society would we live in if that kind of social influence wasn’t imposed? That idea of “freedom” falls apart if you just pull one of the thousands of loose ends.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If a family member asks you look after their kid for a couple of hours, and then briefly mentions the kid has a bad cold...should you ask the question "are you sure it's not covid"? On the one hand, you would assume the parent has already went through their own mental checks, and you don't want to unduly freak them out, but on the other hand...it's covid. Thoughts?
What I would say is "No, I can't help you because the kid is sick and I am not in a position to take any risk"

Worst-case scenario would be to have everyone wearing a mask, ideally outside...

tombombadil

Sigh ... this is why we can't have nice things.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-for-violating-covid-19-restrictions-15205416

A Russian who tested positive for the coronavirus upon her arrival in Bali last Thursday was recaptured that night after she escaped mandatory isolation at an appointed hotel, said Jamaruli Manihuruk, who heads the Bali regional office for the Law and Human Rights Ministry.

She has been placed in an isolation facility in Bali’s capital, Denpasar, and will be deported as soon as she has recovered from the virus, Manihuruk said.

Three others were accused of defying mask mandates in public after being found unmasked in a raid last Thursday in the Kuta tourist area to enforce health protocols and prevent more infections, he said.

The travellers from the United States, Ireland and Russia were placed in a detention room at the immigration office while waiting for their flights to their countries later on Monday.

tombombadil

Note the obvious similarity between October 1st and July 1st.
Wow ... he's comparing autumn with summer, without realising the end part of the graph approaching autumn looks eerily similar to the previous autumn .... haha

As long as full vaccination rates are still low, the risk remains.

He probably thinks it’s like flammable and inflammable.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

0le

I was definitely in favour of removing all the restrictions only a few weeks ago. However looking at that graph for hospitalizations, I have to say I am becoming increasingly concerned again. The number of hospitalizations is clearly rising and we are about to open up completely. That does not strike me as sensible. Having said that, perhaps the rise is also due to the fact that a lot of people are doing whatever they want now and a rise was always expected after easing (or ignoring) of restrictions.