SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hum.. this has become a "recommendation", not an obligation. Got it

Tibs

A 3 week circuit breaker lockdown in September.

We are in for an interesting few weeks...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sky News stats guy making a serious attempt at showing how this latest wave in the UK is going, and how it differs from previous waves. Click on the tweet to see the whole thread. It also shows some of the modelling being used to advise the government and the NHS.
]

Ady87

It’s going to hit the fan in about 3 weeks isn’t it. The ‘if not now, when?’ line does my head in. They obviously don’t think they’ll have everyone double jabbed and suitably protected before the onset of seasonal flu so they’re going for it. Is there a lag to peak protection after the second vaccine dose?

I think they’ve gone to soon because they’ve put themselves between a rock and a hard place and now we’ve all got to cringe and wince as all figures go to the moon until someone says enough is enough and enforces restrictions.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Boris Johnson statement to the country when it was decided to extend the Covid restrictions in June - We are going to follow the data and not the date.
Nice sound bite. But as usual, it meant nothing.

Latest statement to support the decision to support the July 19th date - if we can not drop the restrictions now, then when....

Spot the difference.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It’s going to hit the fan in about 3 weeks isn’t it. The ‘if not now, when?’ line does my head in. They obviously don’t think they’ll have everyone double jabbed and suitably protected before the onset of seasonal flu so they’re going for it. Is there a lag to peak protection after the second vaccine dose?

I think they’ve gone to soon because they’ve put themselves between a rock and a hard place and now we’ve all got to cringe and wince as all figures go to the moon until someone says enough is enough and enforces restrictions.
If you're young and healthy, two weeks after the first dose you'll already be seeing a big jump in protection.

Two weeks after the second dose you'll be getting maximum protection from the mRNA vaccines. With AZ, it's very good after two weeks (and those are the figures you see quoted for efficacy) but it may be better still after four.

You're right to think that part of the concern is due to flu. The global surveillance system on flu is warning that it may be big (having not really been around much last year) and it may arrive early.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The various super-spreader events that took place all over England and Italy on Sunday night are bound to have an impact. It's funny, but when I see big crowds of people I now immediately think of the infection risk rather than anything else. We've become conditioned!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Boris Johnson statement to the country when it was decided to extend the Covid restrictions in June - We are going to follow the data and not the date.
Nice sound bite. But as usual, it meant nothing.

Latest statement to support the decision to support the July 19th date - if we can not drop the restrictions now, then when....

Spot the difference.
It's noticeable that while they still talk about monitoring the data they don't want to say what numbers they'd find unacceptable. Broadly the answer based on the modelling they're seeing is that they have already decided that 1000/2000 hospitalisations/day and deaths in the low hundreds are ok. If it stays in that range the only numbers they will care about are those from the opinion polls.

That said, Boris is right, if not now then when is a valid question. First dose vaccinations have slowed right down, and they're on the slow, tough sell bit of the rollout now. Talk of foreign travel and vaccine passports might help with a few waverers (but not for months due to dose timing - maybe now would be a good moment for the J&J one dose version). Changes in quarantine/isolation rules for the vaxxed only help if you think the unvaxxed will stick to them.

Wait until autumn and the schools are back and students are traveling across country. Wait until winter and the hospitals are full even in a good year.

I wish they hadn't gone with the mixed messaging on things like mask wearing and social distancing. Talk about Freedom Day, always should have come with a health warning. Basically the real message is if you're young and unvaxxed come out and catch covid but don't visit/live with your parents/grandparents - do your bit for herd immunity safely. If you're old, at risk or unvaxxed - don't be the collateral damage.

They didn't have to "remove all legal limits," that was just a headline for the Daily Mail and a bone to throw to some of the more rabid Tory MPs.

They could have done more by now on issues around ventilation, and air changes in enclosed spaces. They could have kept the mask law for supermarkets/pharmacies and on public transport etc - the places the vulnerable can't avoid.

What we've got is very much a close your eyes and hope for the best moment - with Boris as driver.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This is something I've felt for a while. People talk about this "freedom day" nonsense... what exactly are we unable to do right now? We've had mass events, all pubs, bars and restaurants are running as normal, and we're able to stay over at various households. It's hardly the black-and-white worlds many are painting.
Pubs and bars have certainly not been running as normal here in Wales! People are restricted to sitting at their tables with table service only, severely reducing capacity as normally most people would be standing up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's noticeable that while they still talk about monitoring the data they don't want to say what numbers they'd find unacceptable. Broadly the answer based on the modelling they're seeing is that they have already decided that 1000/2000 hospitalisations/day and deaths in the low hundreds are ok. If it stays in that range the only numbers they will care about are those from the opinion polls.

That said, Boris is right, if not now then when is a valid question. First dose vaccinations have slowed right down, and they're on the slow, tough sell bit of the rollout now. Talk of foreign travel and vaccine passports might help with a few waverers (but not for months due to dose timing - maybe now would be a good moment for the J&J one dose version). Changes in quarantine/isolation rules for the vaxxed only help if you think the unvaxxed will stick to them.

Wait until autumn and the schools are back and students are traveling across country. Wait until winter and the hospitals are full even in a good year.

I wish they hadn't gone with the mixed messaging on things like mask wearing and social distancing. Talk about Freedom Day, always should have come with a health warning. Basically the real message is if you're young and unvaxxed come out and catch covid but don't visit/live with your parents/grandparents - do your bit for herd immunity safely. If you're old, at risk or unvaxxed - don't be the collateral damage.

They didn't have to "remove all legal limits," that was just a headline for the Daily Mail and a bone to throw to some of the more rabid Tory MPs.

They could have done more by now on issues around ventilation, and air changes in enclosed spaces. They could have kept the mask law for supermarkets/pharmacies and on public transport etc - the places the vulnerable can't avoid.

What we've got is very much a close your eyes and hope for the best moment - with Boris as driver.
Like you, I can understand that at some point in time, things could change.
But with infections rising exponentially and hospital admissions doing the same, the much more logical thing would be a structured relaxation. Relax something then analyse the effect.

Most importantly, not all of the 4 tests have been met. And that is why it should not all be done at once. In particular the wearing of masks in indoor public places.
And Chris Wittey does not seem at all comfortable with what has been decided.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So is it fair to say the virus will only hospitalise the unvaccinated and the few poor outliers that have been vaccinated but for some reason doesn't get the benefit of the vax?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Meanwhile, in France, Macron had announced that you'll need a covid passport to go into restaurants and cafes:

Yep, that's the French vaccine booking system experiencing a sudden dose of public enthusiasm last night.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

So from having no symptoms mainly other than no smell and reduced taste...I started to get body pains 2 days ago, then yesterday chest started to get a bit tight, and last night couldn't get much sleep in.
So drove myself to the hospital and doc says I got covid pneumonia, oxygen at 87%, so they have admitted me and awaiting medication while on oxygen.

Fortunately my wife is over her 14 days and is already doing better, so she can look after the kids now.
7 days later and I'm being discharged today, and just happy to be going home.
Smell is also gradually coming back and it seems the worst is behind me.
Will continue to get oxygen at home as and when I need, but happy days.

Rajma

Good to hear that! Speedy recovery now!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I really love the idea of allowing only the vaccinated to go into restaurants or cafes. Not only because it will slow down the spread but also because it will rile up the anti-vaxx brigade to unbelievable levels.

Adamsk7

Brilliant news! I hope you continue a speedy recovery at home.

Dante

Average bang
Meanwhile, in France, Macron had announced that you'll need a covid passport to go into restaurants and cafes:

Yep, that's the French vaccine booking system experiencing a sudden dose of public enthusiasm last night.
They should also announce that you'll need a covid passport to smoke cigarettes, drink wine and commit adultery. There'd be a 100% uptake by the end of the week.

Wolverine

Good to hear, not sure what it's like for you where you live but hopefully you are getting some help from community chest physio or something of the sort as well but here's a good resource with self-help on some common issues post-discharge
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/

SirAnderson

Good to hear, not sure what it's like for you where you live but hopefully you are getting some help from community chest physio or something of the sort as well but here's a good resource with self-help on some common issues post-discharge
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/
Cheers that's for that, I have been doing a lot of reading up as well.
I had a physio come in every day while I was at the hospital and that seemed to helped a lot, so want to see if I can arrange some more sessions.
Will keep doing all the recommended breathing exercises and walks they encouraged me to do.

Penna

Staff

Assuming you've been vaccinated, it's been surprisingly easy to get hold of the Green Pass here in Italy, the country that has more bureaucracy than any other. They send you a code after your second jab, you go on a website link and there it is, to download and/or print off. For the technologically-challenged, it says you can ask for it to be printed off for you at a pharmacy (as they can access the Ministry of Health database).

Penna

Staff
What's to stop you printing someone else's vaccine passport anyway and using it as your own?
Well, for someone giving it a cursory glance when you go into a pub, there's nothing to stop you, although I think a paper document would be scrutinised more closely than something on your phone. For it to work properly, you should have to show photo ID at the same time. For travel purposes, it's a different matter because of course you'd need to show your passport, too.

The European vaccine passports have all your details on them plus a QR code which gives the info about when and where you had the jabs.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So is it fair to say the virus will only hospitalise the unvaccinated and the few poor outliers that have been vaccinated but for some reason doesn't get the benefit of the vax?
Pretty much, the outliers issue could turn into serious numbers though as case rates rise. The double vaxxed are unlikely to infect each other, so infection chains should get blocked. However, with high case rates, the chances of meeting someone who has it are high, and with a third of the population unvaxxed, there are plenty of opportunities for the virus to spread, including to the vaxxed or unable to be vaxxed groups.

Unfortunately it's not really about, "just don't go to busy clubs/pubs then." People go home again after a night out and go to work the next day. Public transport can be an unavoidable risk. The multi-generation family holiday or birthday party becomes a high risk activity. The hope is that people will self regulate and there are signs of that in some of the local outbreaks, but it's going to be a stressful time and dangerous for some (including some who don't think they're in danger).

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Pretty much, the outliers issue could turn into serious numbers though as case rates rise. The double vaxxed are unlikely to infect each other, so infection chains should get blocked. However, with high case rates, the chances of meeting someone who has it are high, and with a third of the population unvaxxed, there are plenty of opportunities for the virus to spread, including to the vaxxed or unable to be vaxxed groups.

Unfortunately it's not really about, "just don't go to busy clubs/pubs then." People go home again after a night out and go to work the next day. Public transport can be an unavoidable risk. The multi-generation family holiday or birthday party becomes a high risk activity. The hope is that people will self regulate and there are signs of that in some of the local outbreaks, but it's going to be a stressful time and dangerous for some (including some who don't think they're in danger).
Im glad I live in a relatively small rural town so - sound like this virus will be relevant for another year at minimum

Dante

Average bang
I've managed to get my NHS Covid Pass through NHS login. I assume the app works the same way. Nice and easy.

For those wondering, you get two 2-D barcodes which expire 30 days after you produce them (one to prove each of your vaccinations). There's also a message at the top telling any interested parties to 'Please check against the bearer's identity'.

Bosws87

I've managed to get my NHS Covid Pass through NHS login. I assume the app works the same way. Nice and easy.

For those wondering, you get two 2-D barcodes which expire 30 days after you produce them (one to prove each of your vaccinations). There's also a message at the top telling any interested parties to 'Please check against the bearer's identity'.
Yeh it's simple enough but entirely dreadful it isn't within the same NHS Covid App, sometimes you can't believe how short sighted some things are.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Big jump in the number of covid deaths in the UK, up to 50.
And another 36,660 new infections. Bet the actual number is higher but some are not being reported for obvious reasons.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sugar, now I'm a little afraid. Would still like to know how many of those 50 were 1) partly vaxxed, 2) fully vaxxed, 3) totally unvaccinated. Couldn't find anything on Google.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeh it's simple enough but entirely dreadful it isn't within the same NHS Covid App, sometimes you can't believe how short sighted some things are.
Not their fault really. The covid app has to be anonymous, it uses the Google/Apple interface and things like the covid test result need you to choose to enter the result code, or not. PHE don't know who actually does update the app and who doesn't and they don't know who it alerts.

The NHS app on the other hand gives access to some of your medical history, with no anonymity preserved. When you see your green tick and QR code you also see your real name and date of birth alongside it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Sugar, now I'm a little afraid. Would still like to know how many of those 50 were 1) partly vaxxed, 2) fully vaxxed, 3) totally unvaccinated. Couldn't find anything on Google.
Today's reported deaths won't appear in the summary reports for another week or so. They'll almost certainly tell you that more vaccinated people died than uncaccinated.

The reason for that is that almost all over 60s are double vaxxed and almost all deaths right through the pandemic have been in the 60+ group. UK policy has been to vaccinate those most likely to die. An unvaxxed 20 year old is still at lower risk than a fully vaxxed 80 year old - even with the incredibly high vaccine efficiency we're seeing.

If you look at the US stats where vaccine take-up hasn't been so unanimous in the older groups, you see a different picture. There, more than 99% of deaths in May were in the unvaxxed group, even though more than half of the population have been vaccinated.