SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
ROI starting more serious measures, seem to be ahead of the curve with regards to action they only have 43 cases and 1 death. Schools, colleges and public facilities closing along with some public transport.

Same with me in ways. I have suddenly got a cold and have not had a cold in ages.

They interviewed a guy on sky news who said the first stage is you get a cold, then that clears up, then you get the flu and it can tail off from there in a number of directions.
Don't forget there are something like 20 billion cases of common cold in the world each year. Fever is usually the first stage of the virus.

mav_9me

Guys, I’m actually scared.

When you look at other countries who have closed every non essential institution including schools and workplaces, and even shut down transport, you realise the UK really isn’t doing enough.

I had a dry cough the other day (I still kind of do) so I called 111 and they basically told me that because I haven’t travelled anywhere in the last 14 days or come into contact with anyone who has a confirmed case it’s nothing to worry about. I feel like it’ll be too late before the government become proactive. I’m especially scared for my parents who are both over 60 with one of them working in A&E :nervous:
I am an ICU doc in USA. I don't know what your parent does in the A&E but if he/she can he/she should stop working right away. Minimize exposure. I don't mean to scare you but this is what I would be doing if it were my parent.

stepic

I'm not expecting much from this delay phase. It will be more of the same "keep washing your hands" with a note that cancelling and suspending of non-essential public events will not be enforced as a blanket restriction but reviewed on a case by case basis with the guidance of the organisers.
you think? i think things will definitely be ramped up. school closures and mass gatherings banned at least.

Sara125

I am an ICU doc in USA. I don't know what your parent does in the A&E but if he/she can he/she should stop working right away. Minimize exposure. I don't mean to scare you but this is what I would be doing if it were my parent.
It’s my mother and she is a general nurse. I’ll try and talk to her but I’m guessing she knows better than I do haha

mav_9me

It’s my mother and she is a general nurse. I’ll try and talk to her but I’m guessing she knows better than I do haha
Yeah sorry. She'll have to work. Nurses and doctors and hospitals can't skip. Sorry.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
you think? i think things will definitely be ramped up. school closures and mass gatherings banned at least.
I'll be surprised if they do. They seem to be very lax about it so far and more wary of the economical impact than anything else.

stepic

I'll be surprised if they do. They seem to be very lax about it so far and more wary of the economical impact than anything else.
they have been thus far, but i think yesterday's spike in numbers, plus the official declaration that it's a pandemic will have forced their hand. guess we will see in an hour or two.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The UK has to be one of the worst in the way its been handled. Several countries around us have imposed forms of lockdowns and there we are with 500 cases advising people to wash their hands.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
ROI starting more serious measures, seem to be ahead of the curve with regards to action they only have 43 cases and 1 death. Schools, colleges and public facilities closing along with some public transport.
Worth remembering that we have 1/13th the population of the UK so it's not really any less cases in those terms. We are at a benefit of both being an island state and being a very sparsely populated country, though.

Mind you, our health system really couldn't handle anything on a large scale so it's no surprise they're already taking serious measures like this.

Utdstar01

Someone from team McLaren contracting the virus. Most likely the Australian GP will be suspended now you'd think.

Bosws87

We will announce the same measures later no doubt, seems its a global agreed approach.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chancellor saying the UK doesn't need a travel ban (or seemingly any closures). The state of these cnuts..

arnie_ni

Uk must be the only country in europe now to not actually do anything at this stage?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The problem with the government's advice is that on the one hand slowly ramping up the severity of the restrictions makes a kind of sense and I'm not well versed enough to call bullshit on it. But on the other hand the years of austerity have shown that this Tory lot simply can't be trusted with the health and safety of the general public.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Chancellor saying the UK doesn't need a travel ban (or seemingly any closures). The state of these cnuts..
Were are the Brexiteers who wanted the UK to close their borders? How come they're not getting pissed at this.

Skills

Snitch
Sporting governing bodies have come out looking the worst out of all this shit. F1 refusing to cancel or postpone the inaugural grand Prix.

It's mental. Not only are they hot beds for transmitions, they're not even critical to day to day function of society. I mean I get it energy companies, refineries etc don't shut down because they still need to provide these critical services. What makes these bastards think they're so important?

arnie_ni

Does that surprise you?
When we probably have the most pressured medical resources in Europe at the best of times due to under funding... yea it kinda does tbh.

They could be 2 weeks ahead of this if they just acted accordingly

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Sporting governing bodies have come out looking the worst out of all this shit. F1 refusing to cancel or postpone the inaugural grand Prix.

It's mental. Not only are they hot beds for transmitions, they're not even critical to day to day function of society. I mean I get it energy companies, refineries etc don't shut down because they still need to provide these critical services. What makes these bastards think they're so important?
Fans.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My parents have decided to follow the Italian model a couple of weeks ahead of time and have effectively locked themselves down, no more going out unless absolutely necessary. Both are old and both survived cancer in the last couple of years. I'd probably recommend anybody who fits that profile starts doing the same.
Problem is that if the situation in the UK has crossed your risk threshold already, you will be inside for months and not weeks.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Shit starting to get real now - surely if ROI are shutting schools, etc. that the UK must follow suit?