SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

massi83

England’s restrictions are likely to be removed in a couple of weeks.

A very risky move in my opinion considering we are still hitting over 100k cases a day .
There's no risk about it. Your hospitalisations are going down. Your ICU numbers haven't been this low since July.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Pretty sure I got it. About 24 hours in, massive headache, bad fever, & a nonproductive dry cough that just won’t fecking quit. Will be taking a test in a few hours to confirm.

Wolverine

Pretty sure I got it. About 24 hours in, massive headache, bad fever, & a nonproductive dry cough that just won’t fecking quit. Will be taking a test in a few hours to confirm.
Similar to mine, although my initial symptoms were headache, nasal drip with nasal congestion, facial pain, feeling hot and tired but not feverish. Feels like sinusitis for me.
My toddler had watery eyes. Bizarre how omicron has such different symptoms to previous variants.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Similar to mine, although my initial symptoms were headache, nasal drip with nasal congestion, facial pain, feeling hot and tired but not feverish. Feels like sinusitis for me.
My toddler had watery eyes. Bizarre how omicron has such different symptoms to previous variants.
Another wonderful aspect to this is that I just cannot stop farting. It’s almost exactly every minute I’m blasting one out like fecking clockwork.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Another wonderful aspect to this is that I just cannot stop farting. It’s almost exactly every minute I’m blasting one out like fecking clockwork.
I’m been farting all day which has turned into diarrhea. It feels like someone has sneaked moviprep into my food

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
What’s the protocol in U.K. if someone tests positive in terms of medicines prescribed?..
In the UK, if you're in the category known as "clinically extremely vulnerable" you may be on a list to get hospital based treatment - monoclonal antibodies (sotromivab) or a home based one - molnupirivar (an antiviral pill from Merck).

For most people, including most over 70s, it's just routine virus homecare. Things like stay hydrated, rest, try to eat, take paracetamol for a fever - monitor your temperature if you can, monitor your blood oxygen level with a pulse oximeter if you've got one.

Call a GP or the triage number (111) if it's getting scary - that's when the temperature and pulse oximeter ratings can save a lot of time, when trying to get taken seriously.

Standard NHS homecare advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...-and-treatment/how-to-treat-symptoms-at-home/

Simbo

Wait, is that a symptom? I had a very random couple days last week where I was farting non-stop. No other symptoms aside from a bit of discomfort down there.

If there's a virus going round making people fart all day, that's just hilarious.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wait, is that a symptom? I had a very random couple days last week where I was farting non-stop. No other symptoms aside from a bit of discomfort down there.

If there's a virus going round making people fart all day, that's just hilarious.
I don’t know, but it all started when I realized I had a fever & began the cough.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Its finally got us. Schools are safe me hole.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What’s the protocol in U.K. if someone tests positive in terms of medicines prescribed?..
Don't think there is any really other than how to treat seasonal flu/cold - paracetamol, vitamins and rest up.

You wouldn't get any medicines prescribed based purely on a positive test, only if things started to deteriorate.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

When I had it in November the drizzling shits was definitely one of the symptoms of mine. 2nd only to two days of fatigue.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Curious if anyone has had similar: my wife had it - with a really high 'ct' score I think it's called - and we lived normally together for the whole period. I never tested positive nor had a symptom.

Does that mean I've likely been 'exposed' - surely?

Same deal with our son, though kids can burn through it so quickly it's hard to tell.

We're coming out of our 2.5 week quarantine and I'm weighing up going to the office.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@zing
This is was what my mother was prescribed, it was back in April last year, so before omicron. She's in mumbai. Her main symptoms were sore throat, nasal congestion, tiredness, fever and bodyache. She had 1 dose (AZ) at the time she got it.

I think the antibiotic (augmentin) was there because she had already started it before her covid test.
The main message the doctor kept saying was to rest, not exert, drink a ton of water. She said she's over-prescribing medicines because she wanted to avoid any hospitalisation (with black mould/low oxygen stories going around at that time). i think she eventually prescribed some steroid too, but I'm not sure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@zing
This is was what my mother was prescribed, it was back in April last year, so before omicron. She's in mumbai. Her main symptoms were sore throat, nasal congestion, tiredness, fever and bodyache. She had 1 dose (AZ) at the time she got it.

I think the antibiotic (augmentin) was there because she had already started it before her covid test.
The main message the doctor kept saying was to rest, not exert, drink a ton of water. She said she's over-prescribing medicines because she wanted to avoid any hospitalisation (with black mould/low oxygen stories going around at that time). i think she eventually prescribed some steroid too, but I'm not sure.
The irony being that ‘black mould’ was caused by over-prescription of medicines, specifically oral steroids. The risk is highest in diabetics/pre-diabetics.

Although your mum’s script doesn’t look too egregious. Mainly vitamins and OTC stuff which probably won’t be much help but also unlikely to harm. I dunno what “Dolo” and “Rinifol” is though.

zing

Zingle balls
@zing

Thanks. I appreciate it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The irony being that ‘black mould’ was caused by over-prescription of medicines, specifically oral steroids. The risk is highest in diabetics/pre-diabetics.

Although your mum’s script doesn’t look too egregious. Mainly vitamins and OTC stuff which probably won’t be much help but also unlikely to harm. I dunno what “Dolo” and “Rinifol” is though.
Dolo is just paracetamol. Rinifol is anti-nausea/diarrhoea, not sure if it was because the antibiotic has that side-effect or because of covid symptoms.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dolo is just paracetamol. Rinifol is anti-nausea/diarrhoea, not sure if it was because the antibiotic has that side-effect or because of covid symptoms.
Ah. Ok. Does look quite an array of pills to give nothing more than symptomatic relief. It’s always interesting to me that prescribing choices (which are supposed to be completely objective and evidence based) has obvious cultural differences. In the US you’re also likely to be prescribed an absolute smorgasbord of pills for illnesses where UK/Irish doctors would usually just recommend paracetamol.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
There's no risk about it. Your hospitalisations are going down. Your ICU numbers haven't been this low since July.
But just over three weeks ago every top scientist in the country was begging the government to tighten the restrictions or even have a lockdown before Christmas.

To go from that to no restrictions in the space of a 5-6 week period seems reckless.

I appreciate that we all want this pandemic to end right now, but surely the wise move would be to extend the plan B measures to the beginning of March (end of winter) and in the mean time drive the infection and hospitalisation rates right down to take the pressure off the NHS?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Ah. Ok. Does look quite an array of pills to give nothing more than symptomatic relief. It’s always interesting to me that prescribing choices (which are supposed to be completely objective and evidence based) has obvious cultural differences. In the US you’re also likely to be prescribed an absolute smorgasbord of pills for illnesses where UK/Irish doctors would usually just recommend paracetamol.
Ya, not just the number of pills, even the dosage is much higher in India. This was the inhaler I was on, and that dosage literally doesn't exist in the US.
On the flip side, based on r/asthma, steroid+LABA inhaler+nasal spray+montelukast seems to be a global prescription.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That’s just about money though, right?

The US healthcare system is monumentally fecked up because of the money flying around in it and a combination of pharma sales reps and “ask your doctor about <insert drug>” adverts on the tv will surely lead to all kinds of pointless prescriptions.

Last edited:

massi83

But just over three weeks ago every top scientist in the country was begging the government to tighten the restrictions or even have a lockdown before Christmas.

To go from that to no restrictions in the space of a 5-6 week period seems reckless.

I appreciate that we all want this pandemic to end right now, but surely the wise move would be to extend the plan B measures to the beginning of March (end of winter) and in the mean time drive the infection and hospitalisation rates right down to take the pressure off the NHS?
At that time there was uncertainty about how high hospitalisations will go with omicron. Now we actually know. You are past your peak. I am not against WFH or masks, but most of the 20 year olds have had omicron already, no reason not to open night clubs for instance.

Anustart89

Curious if anyone has had similar: my wife had it - with a really high 'ct' score I think it's called - and we lived normally together for the whole period. I never tested positive nor had a symptom.

Does that mean I've likely been 'exposed' - surely?

Same deal with our son, though kids can burn through it so quickly it's hard to tell.

We're coming out of our 2.5 week quarantine and I'm weighing up going to the office.
We use the Ct score to assess how contagious a patient is, so a CT score of >35 means we remove them from isolation in the Covid unit and place them next to other patients in the general ICU without risk of them exposing others to it.

Very simplified, the PCR is a process where repeated duplications of the virus genome allows us to detect it in a sample, and a Ct score of 35 means the sample has gone through 35 duplications before being able to be spotted.

Therefore, if your wife had a very high Ct value upon diagnosis (ie over 35) then it's logical that you didn't get it from her as her viral load was very low at the time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We use the Ct score to assess how contagious a patient is, so a CT score of >35 means we remove them from isolation in the Covid unit and place them next to other patients in the general ICU without risk of them exposing others to it.

Very simplified, the PCR is a process where repeated duplications of the virus genome allows us to detect it in a sample, and a Ct score of 35 means the sample has gone through 35 duplications before being able to be spotted.

Therefore, if your wife had a very high Ct value upon diagnosis (ie over 35) then it's logical that you didn't get it from her as her viral load was very low at the time.
Ah thanks, I fear I may have gotten the score backwards, she was a 25. Apols, we don't totally get what is 'good' and 'bad'. Maybe I just got lucky.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

The US healthcare system is monumentally fecked up because of the money flying around in it and a combination of pharma sales reps and “ask your doctor about <insert drug>” adverts on the tv will surely lead to all kinds of pointless prescriptions.
Oxycontin agrees

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Basically. Although a lot of it is driven by consumer expectations. The whole private healthcare model incentivises both parties to over-medicalise. The physicians are more likely to order unnecessary investigations and do unnecessary procedures and the punters will have much higher expectations from their “personal physician” so won’t settle with being told there’s nothing that can be done for their viral illness. I think that’s changing a bit recently, since the insurers started tightening their belts.