SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Two years and its finally got us. My wife just tested positive after a few days of feeling shit, she's in her third trimester so exceptionally glad to be vaccinated.

I'm negative so far and thankfully with current rules here still allowed to go out.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Two years and its finally got us. My wife just tested positive after a few days of feeling shit, she's in her third trimester so exceptionally glad to be vaccinated.

I'm negative so far and thankfully with current rules here still allowed to go out.
Sorry to hear that and I wish her / you all the best.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Good luck and hope she gets better soon

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is there infection/hospitalisation/death data from the UK broken down by race?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is there infection/hospitalisation/death data from the UK broken down by race?
Here’s a good analysis of deaths.
  • After adjusting for region, population density, socio-demographic and household characteristics, the raised risk of death involving COVID-19 for people of Black ethnic background of all ages together was 2.0 times greater for males and 1.4 times greater for females compared with those of White ethnic background.
  • Males of Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Indian ethnic background also had a significantly higher risk of death involving COVID-19 (1.5 and 1.6 times, respectively) than White males once region, population density, socio-demographic and household characteristics were accounted for; whilst for females in Bangladeshi or Pakistani, Indian, Chinese and Mixed ethnic groups the risk of death involving COVID-19 was equivalent to White females.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Here’s a good analysis of deaths.
  • After adjusting for region, population density, socio-demographic and household characteristics, the raised risk of death involving COVID-19 for people of Black ethnic background of all ages together was 2.0 times greater for males and 1.4 times greater for females compared with those of White ethnic background.
  • Males of Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Indian ethnic background also had a significantly higher risk of death involving COVID-19 (1.5 and 1.6 times, respectively) than White males once region, population density, socio-demographic and household characteristics were accounted for; whilst for females in Bangladeshi or Pakistani, Indian, Chinese and Mixed ethnic groups the risk of death involving COVID-19 was equivalent to White females.
It's our oppressed women killing us with all that cooking. Bloody long game. :(

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just seen the UK government's latest R rate for London is 0.7 to 1.1. Growth percentage per day is -8 to -1. :cool:

England rate is 1.1 to 1.5.

Come on Laaaandon!! :keano:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just seen the UK government's latest R rate for London is 0.7 to 1.1. Growth percentage per day is -8 to -1. :cool:

England rate is 1.1 to 1.5.

Come on Laaaandon!! :keano:
The official HSA stats are always lagging indicators because they only run with finalised data,

If you look at the "nowcast" stuff you get:

Which basically mirrors the current case number falls.

Though when you dig into the numbers you can see the same kind of pattern we had back in October/November for delta - school-aged catching covid, parents catching it in sympathy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why did you have one?
My wife had a sore throat and someone at her gym tested positive recently and I drove her to the drive through test centre and thought we might as well both get tested as we are triple vaxxed, so could have it and be asymptomatic (doubt it TBH). I was expecting the nose bit of the test to be annoying, irritating or painful but it was barely a tickle. Which pleased me.

Rapid tests are both hard to get and expensive with PCR tests free.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Hope she recovers quickly.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
My wife had a sore throat and someone at her gym tested positive recently and I drove her to the drive through test centre and thought we might as well both get tested as we are triple vaxxed, so could have it and be asymptomatic (doubt it TBH). I was expecting the nose bit of the test to be annoying, irritating or painful but it was barely a tickle. Which pleased me.

Rapid tests are both hard to get and expensive with PCR tests free.
Yeah my BIL was over for a month and took a load of self tests back with him last week

Hope she recovers quickly.
Thanks and same to the others who replied.

She's slowly getting better, if this is supposed to be the milder Omicron variant i wouldn't want to see what the previous variants would have been like.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
The missus is on day 5 now of isolation, still has a sore throat, but overall improving a lot. We've the 7 day isolation here, so is it still ok to venture out with a sore throat if its not fully recovered?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Is there anyone here who has never been tested? Somehow, by freak accident, I've never had any type of test for COVID... My wife has had many. Even my 7-year-old had to endure that horrid thing-up-the-nose. I'm, however, a virgin. Noice.

Bosws87

Is there anyone here who has never been tested? Somehow, by freak accident, I've never had any type of test for COVID... My wife has had many. Even my 7-year-old had to endure that horrid thing-up-the-nose. I'm, however, a virgin. Noice.
Same zero tests not been on holiday and not been ill in a couple of years i imagine theres loads the same.

I'm not gonna go around testing myself every other day on a whim.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The missus is on day 5 now of isolation, still has a sore throat, but overall improving a lot. We've the 7 day isolation here, so is it still ok to venture out with a sore throat if its not fully recovered?
If I was her I would get out and about for some fresh air but wouldn’t go anywhere indoors. Not just yet.

Also, take it very easy. You hear a lot about relapses when trying to get too active, too soon.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Me until 8 30am today

mitChley

I find it incredible people haven't even done lateral flow tests.

When we were going into work I'd do them at least twice a week. When going to big events, or group gatherings, I'd do one then. Seems a pretty selfless thing to do to make sure you're not asymptomatic and spreading it to others.

Balljy

When we were going into work I'd do them at least twice a week. When going to big events, or group gatherings, I'd do one then. Seems a pretty selfless thing to do to make sure you're not asymptomatic and spreading it to others.
Agreed, I do one every time I'm visiting my parents or meeting up with a big group of people. I just think why not when I can do a 20 second test and avoid the risk to them.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

Don't go to big events, its that simple

Tarrou

I’ve brought back loads of testing kits from the UK if anyone in Sydney is in dire need

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
If I was her I would get out and about for some fresh air but wouldn’t go anywhere indoors. Not just yet.

Also, take it very easy. You hear a lot about relapses when trying to get too active, too soon.
She's a teacher though, so expected back in on Monday or else she's taking sick days.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Can understand there will be a fair few people who’ve never been sick or travelled, so never needed a PCR (I’ve only been tested once in the last 2 years, my wife never). But surely you’ve done a few antigen tests on yourself?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
She's a teacher though, so expected back in on Monday or else she's taking sick days.
Sorry. Misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking if ok to go out today, on day 5.

If she’s still symptomatic on day 7 she shouldn’t go back to work. The 7 day isolation only applies to people who are asymptomatic at the end of it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Hope she feels better soon and good luck on the new arrival!
It's our oppressed women killing us with all that cooking. Bloody long game. :(
:lol: Early contender for post of the year