SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Sorry. Misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking if ok to go out today, on day 5.

If she’s still symptomatic on day 7 she shouldn’t go back to work. The 7 day isolation only applies to people who are asymptomatic at the end of it.
Cool, I saw on the hse site that they say you can end isolation if symptoms are mostly gone. So her energy levels are back to normal, no fever etc. Just the persistent sore throat. But she's not sure what that means for actually going back to school.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Cool, I saw on the hse site that they say you can end isolation if symptoms are mostly gone. So her energy levels are back to normal, no fever etc. Just the persistent sore throat. But she's not sure what that means for actually going back to school.
Yeah, the guidance is vague. It says you can exit isolation if symptoms “substantially or fully resolved“ for 48 hours. If she’s had a load of other symptoms, as well as the sore throat, and they’ve all gone away then I’d say she’s probably ok?

The whole isolation guidance document is one of the most badly written things I’ve ever seen. So much more complicated and confusing than it needs to be.

RonaldoVII

I'd like to think those who have never tested are in different countries (to the UK) where things are different. Or people haven't been inside anywhere other than their home in almost 2 years.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Yeah, the guidance is a bit vague. It says you can exit isolation if symptoms “substantially or fully resolved“ for 48 hours. If she’s had a load of other symptoms, as well as the sore throat, and they’ve all gone away then I’d say she’s probably ok.
Lovely.

Withnail

Can understand there will be a fair few people who’ve never been sick or travelled, so never needed a PCR (I’ve only been tested once in the last 2 years, my wife never). But surely you’ve done a few antigen tests on yourself?
I only did antigen tests once as a precaution because I wasn't officially identified as a close contact. I'd been sitting closer than 2m from the guy when on lunch for somewhere between 10-20mins and I couldn't for the life of me tell you for definite. This was in the small window where I was going into the office one day a well. I was asymptomatic so took the tests over 5 days for peace of mind and kept myself to myself for a few days. If it hadn't been for that incident, I wouldn't have taken any.

I've been fairly lucky in that nobody in my current social circle has had it (the ex and her family all got it after we split up and extended family who I haven't seen at all have had it) and I don't really go to any events or meetings of large groups of people.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Can understand there will be a fair few people who’ve never been sick or travelled, so never needed a PCR (I’ve only been tested once in the last 2 years, my wife never). But surely you’ve done a few antigen tests on yourself?
Nope. Would've been nice to know. I just assume I've had it and been completely asymptomatic

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I only did antigen tests once as a precaution because I wasn't officially identified as a close contact. I'd been sitting closer than 2m from the guy when on lunch for somewhere between 10-20mins and I couldn't for the life of me tell you for definite. This was in the small window where I was going into the office one day a well. I was asymptomatic so took the tests over 5 days for peace of mind and kept myself to myself for a few days. If it hadn't been for that incident, I wouldn't have taken any.

I've been fairly lucky in that nobody in my current social circle has had it (the ex and her family all got it after we split up and extended family who I haven't seen at all have had it) and I don't really go to any events or meetings of large groups of people.
I was mainly thinking of spending time with elderly parents/grandparents. Just seems common sense to test yourself beforehand, when case levels are very high (eg over xmas holidays)

I’ve only ever done a couple of tests outside that scenario, when meeting a friend who was recently diagnosed with quite severe heart failure. I’ve never done any tests before going to the office but I’ve hardly ever been in and tend to be one of only 2 or 3 when I did.

Withnail

I was mainly thinking of spending time with elderly parents/grandparents. Just seems common sense to test yourself beforehand, when case levels are very high (eg over xmas holidays)

I’ve only ever done a couple of tests outside that scenario, when meeting a friend who was recently diagnosed with quite severe heart failure. I’ve never done any tests before going to the office but I’ve hardly ever been in and tend to be one of only 2 or 3 when I did.
Oh yeah well I've no Grandparents left and my folks who are late 60s are the only older people I'd see but my Da is extremely anxious about covid.

He won't let you within 2m of him at all and I wasn't even allowed in the house for most of the pandemic. He was going to make us all do antigen tests at Christmas but decided against it as he didn't want false positives ruining someone's holidays. He got one of those air purifiers in the end.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Oh yeah well I've no Grandparents left and my folks who are late 60s are the only older people I'd see but my Da is extremely anxious about covid.

He won't let you within 2m of him at all and I wasn't even allowed in the house for most of the pandemic. He was going to make us all do antigen tests at Christmas but decided against it as he didn't want false positives ruining someone's holidays. He got one of those air purifiers in the end.
Ok, cool. I probably came across as a bit judgey there. Every family has their own perception of risk and will make their own decisions re testing for all sorts of reasons. And that’s grand.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Multiple PCR tests as part of clinical trials/sampling (vaccine trial + Zoe app) and once as a covid phone app "you've been in contact with a positive case" (probably while eating a hotel breakfast). The first few were done by pros so I knew what to do, what it should feel like, before I did a home test.

Antigen LFT tests, before family gatherings, house visits and before going to events - football, theatre, eating out etc. In the UK, they're free so why not.

Sweet Square

‘Nocebo effect’: two-thirds of Covid jab reactions not caused by vaccine, study suggests

More than two-thirds of the common side-effects people experience after a Covid jab can be attributed to a negative version of the placebo effect rather than the vaccine itself, researchers claim.

Scientists in the US examined data from 12 clinical trials of Covid vaccines and found that the “nocebo effect” accounted for about 76% of all common adverse reactions after the first dose and nearly 52% after the second dose. The findings suggest that a substantial proportion of milder side-effects, such as headaches, short-term fatigue, and arm pain are not produced by the constituents of the vaccine, but by other factors thought to generate the nocebo response, including anxiety, expectation and misattributing various ailments to having had the jab.

ggest that a substantial proportion of milder side-effects, such as headaches, short-term fatigue, and arm pain are not produced by the constituents of the vaccine, but by other factors thought to generate the nocebo response, including anxiety, expectation and misattributing various ailments to having had the jab.

In view of their results, the researchers argue that better public information about nocebo responses may improve Covid vaccine uptake by reducing the concerns that make some people hesitant.

“Telling patients that the intervention they are taking has side-effects that are similar to placebo treatments for the condition in randomised controlled trials actually reduces anxiety and makes patients take a moment to consider the side-effect,” said Ted Kaptchuk, professor of global health and social medicine at Harvard medical school, and a senior author on the study. “But we need more research.”

Kaptchuck and Dr Julia Haas at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston analysed adverse events reported during a dozen clinical trials of Covid vaccines. In each trial, those in the placebo arm were given injections of inactive salt solution instead of vaccine. The study did not look at severe, rare side-effects such as blood clots or heart inflammation.

Writing in the journal Jama Network Open, the researchers describe how after the first injection more than 35% of those in the placebo groups experienced so-called “systemic” side-effects, such as headache and fatigue, with 16% reporting site-specific ailments including arm pain or redness or swelling at the injection site.

As expected, those who received a first shot of vaccine were more likely to experience side-effects. About 46% reported systemic symptoms and two-thirds experienced arm pain or other localised symptoms at the injection site.

When the researchers looked at side-effects after the second jab, they found the rate of headaches or other systemic symptoms was nearly twice as high in the vaccine group compared with the placebo group, at 61% and 32% respectively. The difference was even greater for local ailments, reaching 73% among those who had the vaccine and 12% in the placebo group.

Overall, the researchers calculate that about two-thirds of common side-effects reported in Covid vaccine trials are driven by the nocebo effect, in particular headaches and fatigue, which many Covid vaccine leaflets list as the most common adverse reactions after a shot.

While evidence suggests that information about side-effects can cause people to misattribute common ailments to the vaccine, or make people hyper-alert to how they are feeling, Kaptchuk argues for more information about side-effects, not less. “Most researchers argue that patients should be told less about side-effects to reduce their anxiety,” he said. “I think this is wrong. Honesty is the way to go.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science...eactions-not-caused-by-vaccine-study-suggests

ManchesterYoda

Is there anyone here who has never been tested? Somehow, by freak accident, I've never had any type of test for COVID... My wife has had many. Even my 7-year-old had to endure that horrid thing-up-the-nose. I'm, however, a virgin. Noice.
Never had a test and never had a jab. I had a sore throat a few days ago, perhaps it was Omicron, don't know, don't care. My immune system handled it like it always does.

Is the pandemic coming to an end? Will people who didn't get jabbed still be discriminated against even after the pandemic is over? For how long? Months? Years? Forever? If there is no pandemic do I still need to get the jab? How any jabs? If they bring out a new jab do I still need to take 2 doses of the obsolete jab?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Never had a test and never had a jab. I had a sore throat a few days ago, perhaps it was Omicron, don't know, don't care. My immune system handled it like it always does.

Is the pandemic coming to an end? Will people who didn't get jabbed still be discriminated against even after the pandemic is over? For how long? Months? Years? Forever? If there is no pandemic do I still need to get the jab? How any jabs? If they bring out a new jab do I still need to take 2 doses of the obsolete jab?
Ah. You’re back!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Christ almighty. There's a BBC story on this same page about a singer who trusted her immune system to deal with Covid. She's dead now.

I do agree that we can't keep getting jabbed forever. I think it'll come in alongside an optional flu shot annually or maybe they merge them somehow? Not sure that's even possible. Anyway I'm feeling optimistic that this pandemic is nearing its end thanks to the vaccines.

ManchesterYoda

Christ almighty. There's a BBC story on this same page about a singer who trusted her immune system to deal with Covid. She's dead now.

I do agree that we can't keep getting jabbed forever. I think it'll come in alongside an optional flu shot annually or maybe they merge them somehow? Not sure that's even possible. Anyway I'm feeling optimistic that this pandemic is nearing its end thanks to the vaccines.
There are lots of BBC stories like that, it's called propaganda. I'm immune to propaganda too!

If the pandemic is nearing it's end it's thanks to Omicron, not vaccines.

Balljy

Moderna are looking at combining into one shot and I'm sure the others will be as well. They're aiming for winter 2023 for the roll-out but it's dependent on how trials go with MRNA influenza vaccines. That'll definitely make it easier to manage and persuade people to get if they can get one jab for multiple illnesses annually.

Moderna aims to launch single Covid and flu booster jab within two years | Pharmaceuticals industry | The Guardian

ManchesterYoda

do you think vaccines have helped save any lives at all?
Yes, there will be many people who were at risk from Covid, got vaccinated, then got infected and the vaccine immunity helped them fight the infection. Do you think the vaccine has killed or seriously harmed anybody at all?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Yes, there will be many people who were at risk from Covid, got vaccinated, then got infected and the vaccine immunity helped them fight the infection. Do you think the vaccine has killed or seriously harmed anybody at all?
I think you might have had Omicron and its given you brain damage, should have got jabbed, you might still have kept your sanity.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think that you can count on one hand the number of people who have died directly because of the vaccine. The number of deaths directly because of being infected by Covid-19 is in the millions world wide.

So for that singer who got Covid deliberately and died, where is she now in your view? If she's not dead she must be somewhere, maybe in the bunker with JFK and Elvis? Maye the Czech government killed her using the deadly vaccine and said it was Covid to make a point?

Weak with you the force is.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

:lol: Weren’t you posting a few weeks ago about some other random illness that you convinced yourself was covid?! I don’t think your immune system is near as strong as you think it is. You sound like quite a sickly person.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Christ, I hate siding with an anti-vaxxer here, but when this pandemic ends it'll be more down to immunity due to infection than immunity due to the vaccines... Case in point - South Africa. The majority hasn't been vaccinated, and yet our figures (and I don't think it's due to a lack of testing) are looking rather good. Look, I know vaccines are helping us to get out of this mess, but the Spanish Flu and numerous other infectious diseases have been beaten by mutating viruses or herd immunity through prior infection. I'm not belittling the influence the vaccines have had, but sometimes I feel we're maybe glorifying them just a tad too much... Surely all of you have secretly wondered if this mightn't be the case?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Christ, I hate siding with an anti-vaxxer here, but when this pandemic ends it'll be more down to immunity due to infection than immunity due to the vaccines... Case in point - South Africa. The majority hasn't been vaccinated, and yet our figures (and I don't think it's due to a lack of testing) are looking rather good. Look, I know vaccines are helping us to get out of this mess, but the Spanish Flu and numerous other infectious diseases have been beaten by mutating viruses or herd immunity through prior infection. I'm not belittling the influence the vaccines have had, but sometimes I feel we're maybe glorifying them just a tad too much... Surely all of you have secretly wondered if this mightn't be the case?
The difference between SA and other, more vaccinated, countries can be seen in the excess deaths. SA paid a terrible price in the waves that built up enough immunity for them to cope with omicron the way they did. Vaccination achieved the same goal with far fewer deaths.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The difference between SA and other, more vaccinated, countries can be seen in the excess deaths. SA paid a terrible price in the waves that built up enough immunity for them to cope with omicron the way they did. Vaccination achieved the same goal with far fewer deaths.
Official figures (most likely under reported) state that 0.15% on our population have died.
In the UK official figures (most likely under reported) state that 0.22% have died.
These figures, even though they aren't 100% accurate, do not support your theory.

As someone I respect more than anyone in this forum, how would this pandemic have played out if no-one got vaccinated? The world has spent billions on these vaccines. How much of a difference have they really made? Please note, I am PRO-VACCINATION. I'm just trying to take a step back and observe.

What is more likely - the virus mutates into a less severe strain or the vaccinations lead us to pre-COVID paradise?

Edit: Most people who are in hospital now have not been vaccinated. Perhaps that is the retort my response deserves.

Last edited:

Balljy

Official figures (most likely under reported) state that 0.15% on our population have died.
In the UK official figures (most likely under reported) state that 0.22% have died.
These figures, even though they aren't 100% accurate, do not support your theory.

As someone I respect more than anyone in this forum, how would this pandemic have played out if no-one got vaccinated? The world has spent billions on these vaccines. How much of a difference have they really made? Please note, I am PRO-VACCINATIONS. I'm just trying to take a step back and observe.

What is more likely - the virus mutates into a less severe strain or the vaccinations lead us to pre-COVID paradise?

Edit: Most people who are in hospital now have not been vaccinated. Perhaps that is the retort my response deserves.
When you're looking at the mortality in SA are you looking at the official covid deaths or excess deaths over average? From what I can see the official stats are 91,500 whilst excess deaths are 286,000 during the pandemic. The latter is a lot more likely to be the real figure unless something else happened during those 2 years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

As someone I respect more than anyone in this forum, how would this epidemic have played out if no-one got vaccinated? The world has spent billions on these vaccines. How much of a difference have they really made? Please note, I am PRO-VACCINATIONS. I'm just trying to take a step back and observe.

Yes. The data is crystal clear. Being vaccinated makes a huge difference to whether or not you end up in ICU or dead. A consistent pattern in every single country where this data is available.

Accuracy of excess deaths reporting will vary from country to country. You can read more about this in the article I took that image from. It will also vary a lot depending on demographics (countries with older average age have much greater numbers at risk). But there’s absolutely no doubt about how effective vaccines have been at saving lives.

massi83

As someone I respect more than anyone in this forum, how would this epidemic have played out if no-one got vaccinated? The world has spent billions on these vaccines. How much of a difference have they really made? Please note, I am PRO-VACCINATIONS. I'm just trying to take a step back and observe.

You have twice as much excess deaths as UK. Age-adjusted the difference would be much more. Bulgaria, least vaccinated country in Europe "leads" with twice as much as SA (4x UK, 14x Ireland, 25x Norway).

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
When you're looking at the mortality in SA are you looking at the official covid deaths or excess deaths over average? From what I can see the official stats are 91,500 whilst excess deaths are 286,000 during the pandemic. The latter is a lot more likely to be the real figure unless something else happened during those 2 years.
Yes. The data is crystal clear. Being vaccinated makes a huge difference to whether or not you end up in ICU or dead. A consistent pattern in every single country where this data is available.

Accuracy of excess deaths reporting will vary from country to country. You can read more about this in the article I took that image from. It will also vary a lot depending on demographics (countries with older average age have much greater numbers at risk). But there’s absolutely no doubt about how effective vaccines have been at saving lives.
Yes. You two win. And I'm happy to lose.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Spanish flu still exists. It was 50 million deaths an herd immunity that ended the pandemic. It also probably originated in the far East.

Bosws87

Apart from the obvious catastrophic more deaths and people suffering long term consequences it would of been over a lot faster if we did nothing that's about it.

We have extended the length of the pandemic but in the process saved countless lives.