g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Andersonson

Presser next week. The new guy in charge of health is a highly acclaimed scientist and is pro opening up. While hospitals are seeing a rise in patients, icu numbers are falling.
Norway and Denmark is open, no trouble. The health departementets are saying its not a public threat anymore. And by the looks of things they're right. Most people hospitalized are un-vaxxed and the ICU hospitalizations are down. Omicron is a mild flu if vaccinated.

Countries needs too open up and let the world continue

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Norway and Denmark is open, no trouble. The health departementets are saying its not a public threat anymore. And by the looks of things they're right. Most people hospitalized are un-vaxxed and the ICU hospitalizations are down. Omicron is a mild flu if vaccinated.

While I don't disagree that highly vaccinated countries should gradually open up Omicron is not necessarily a mild flu if you are vaccinated. In fact everyone I know who has had it has had significant symptoms even when vaccinated/triple vaccinated. Nobody hospitalised who was triple vaxxed but still a very unpleasant experience. Of course there could be people who had mild or asymptomatic infections and didn't know.

Andersonson

While I don't disagree that highly vaccinated countries should gradually open up Omicron is not necessarily a mild flu if you are vaccinated. In fact everyone I know who has had it has had significant symptoms even when vaccinated/triple vaccinated. Nobody hospitalised who was triple vaxxed but still a very unpleasant experience. Of course there could be people who had mild or asymptomatic infections and didn't know.
Everybody i know has had very light symptoms. Including myself. If this was 2018 I would've gone to work without problems. 1 Pfizer 1 Moderna.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Everybody i know has had very light symptoms. Including myself. If this was 2018 I would've gone to work without problems. 1 Pfizer 1 Moderna.
These are all Omicron at a time few had had a third shot While none were even close to hospitalised all needed 2-10 days off work. Ages from early/mid 30s to early 50's.

Anustart89

If we’re going to restrict people’s freedom because of “very unpleasant experiences” then we’re fecked for eternity. Then we have to lock down every time the flu comes around because that can make people feel shitty.

Almost all restrictions gone here in Sweden now too. Just waiting for them to not require us to isolate when symptomatic. I‘ve got it now for the second time but just have a sore throat (just like last time in June 2020). I’ve had to stay home and take a test three times in the last month though and every negative test was annoying because I knew I was going to get it at some point due to the sheer inevitability of it.

From today in Italy no more masks outdoors.

We have been in a rolling 'state of emergency' since the start, with it getting extended every few months, that allows for all the rules and restrictions to be imposed. It expires at the end of March and its looking more and more like it wont be extended this time which will mean the end of all rules here.

Balljy

These are all Omicron at a time few had had a third shot While none were even close to hospitalised all needed 2-10 days off work. Ages from early/mid 30s to early 50's.
To be fair that's similar to illnesses that we've had for years with flu, bad colds, tonsillitis etc and we don't put restrictions up for those. We need to keep a close eye on it and keep vaccinating if that's found to be necessary to keep mortality and hospitalisation down, but it does seem that with Omicron we've been very lucky and it may be the right time to open now based on what we're seeing in the UK at least.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If they weren’t hospitalised then their illness was, by definition, mild.

As anyone who’s ever had man flu knows there are tonnes of viruses knocking round since forever that make you feel like a dead man walking. So long as they don’t put you in ICU or hospital then they shouldn’t require restrictions on how we live our life.

Pogue Mahone

“Bad flu” nonsense from early in the pandemic coming closer and closer to reality. Of course, it’s worth remembering that even OG flu kills a hell of a lot of people every year. And makes you feel absolutely fecking dreadful when you catch it.

Abizzz

“Bad flu” nonsense from early in the pandemic coming closer and closer to reality. Of course, it’s worth remembering that even OG flu kills a hell of a lot of people every year. And makes you feel absolutely fecking dreadful when you catch it.
I know you know but still feel it worth pointing out that this was achieved because of the vaccines (and maybe less deadly variants), not because those people were correct 2 years ago.

Pogue Mahone

I know you know but still feel it worth pointing out that this was achieved because of the vaccines (and maybe less deadly variants), not because those people were correct 2 years ago.
Yup. I was careful to use the word “nonsense”.

We’re actually at an interesting stage of the pandemic where the most irrational opinions are those who are too scared of the virus rather than those who aren’t scared enough. A complete reversal from where we’ve been for most of the last two years.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

We’re actually at an interesting stage of the pandemic where the most irrational opinions are those who are too scared of the virus rather than those who aren’t scared enough. A complete reversal from where we’ve been for most of the last two years.
This was always going to be a problem I think. We induced a lot of anxiety into everyday life as a way of dealing with the situation and the brain tends to normalise fears in a way that can be hard to adjust back from.

Over time I'm sure it'll be fine but definitely requires time.

Pogue Mahone

Exhibit A

Free Kenwood juicer to anyone who can spot the sneaky trick being played here.

Anustart89

Not to mention the people who have something to gain from keeping the pandemic going. One of our ICU nurses has been very outgoing in media and on Facebook and received some sort of local “citizen of the year” award, and now that almost all restrictions are lifted I still get notifications on Facebook about how she’s commented in this or that page about how the pandemic is NOT OVER AND SHE IS AN ICU NURSE WHO WORKS TIRELESSLY WITH THESE PATIENTS despite our ICU having zero covid patients right now and have had a maximum of two over the past three weeks.

Pogue Mahone

Not to mention the people who have something to gain from keeping the pandemic going. One of our ICU nurses has been very outgoing in media and on Facebook and received some sort of local “citizen of the year” award, and now that almost all restrictions are lifted I still get notifications on Facebook about how she’s commented in this or that page about how the pandemic is NOT OVER AND SHE IS AN ICU NURSE WHO WORKS TIRELESSLY WITH THESE PATIENTS despite our ICU having zero covid patients right now and have had a maximum of two over the past three weeks.
:lol:

There’s a lot of people who gained a lot of status over the course of the pandemic thanks to their area of work/expertise and they don’t want to just fade into the background again. Twitter is chock a block with epidemiologists who won’t be giving up their new followers without a fight!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Right now it seems very much to me that we've reached that herd immunity we talked about at the beginning of the pandemic.
33/33/33 = vaccines/mutations/masks, etc.

Dante

Average bang
I think people are going to struggle to readjust to the old normal.

We all drew partisan battlelines earlier in the pandemic. Now that the situation is shifting, you're going to get a lot of people unwilling to give up what they used to believe was the moral high ground. It's another case of internet polarisation leading to intractable irrationality.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

Have you all been called back to the office? This is my biggest fear

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
My mum has tested positive and has heavy cold-like symptoms. She's triple vaxxed so should be ok.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
From today in Italy no more masks outdoors.

We have been in a rolling 'state of emergency' since the start, with it getting extended every few months, that allows for all the rules and restrictions to be imposed. It expires at the end of March and its looking more and more like it wont be extended this time which will mean the end of all rules here.
Italy has had a really rough time of it. I still remember the early months when it exploded and Italy was the epicenter.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
hey guys, quick update:

My wife and daughter tested positive on monday, we quarantined separately until today, as I also tested positive this evening. Had symptoms starting 2-3 days ago and feeling fine so far.

I'd just like to advise everybody here to be patient when testing negative, yet you're suspecting to be positive. If you had direct contact to someone who tested positive, it's very likely that - considering how infectious omicron is - you'll get it eventually. Keep isolating and testing regularly, don't brush it off. I was told to "calm my tits" basically, when I quarantined for 4 days and worked from home. I am very happy that I did that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is a double vaccine any good at all against omicron? (Death, ICU, hospitalisation?).
Specifically for the AZ one.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is a double vaccine any good at all against omicron? (Death, ICU, hospitalisation?).
Specifically for the AZ one.
If the second dose was 6 months plus ago, against Omicron AZ gives you next to no protection against infection. It does still gives you some protection against hospitalisation and death - roughly halving your risk compared to the unvaccinated.

The data on this isn't straightforward though. In the UK (where most of the data for 2xAZ in high mortality risk people comes from) almost all unvaxxed adults have already had covid (this will make the AZ stats look worse) and there are hardly any unvaxxed or even unboosted in the highest risk groups - which makes the error bars really big.

The boosters do make a huge difference if you can get one - they push efficacy against death up to about 95% - that is you're 20x safer than if you face omicron unvaxxed.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If the second dose was 6 months plus ago, against Omicron AZ gives you next to no protection against infection. It does still gives you some protection against hospitalisation and death - roughly halving your risk compared to the unvaccinated.

The data on this isn't straightforward though. In the UK (where most of the data for 2xAZ in high mortality risk people comes from) almost all unvaxxed adults have already had covid (this will make the AZ stats look worse) and there are hardly any unvaxxed or even unboosted in the highest risk groups - which makes the error bars really big.

The boosters do make a huge difference if you can get one - they push efficacy against death up to about 95% - that is you're 20x safer than if you face omicron unvaxxed.
Thanks.
My father is 75 and wants to travel. He had his second dose either 6 or 8 months ago, and (in India) isn't officially eligible for another dose for one more month. I'm trying to convince him to get one under the table before travel.
(My mother is slightly younger, and she had 2 doses + actual covid, I know that's roughly like being boosted, so less concerned there.)

Pogue Mahone

Thanks.
My father is 75 and wants to travel. He had his second dose either 6 or 8 months ago, and (in India) isn't officially eligible for another dose for one more month. I'm trying to convince him to get one under the table before travel.
(My mother is slightly younger, and she had 2 doses + actual covid, I know that's roughly like being boosted, so less concerned there.)
If it was my dad I’d try and find a way to get him boosted early, before he travels. Or convince him to wait until after he’s boosted.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If it was my dad I’d try and find a way to get him boosted early, before he travels. Or convince him to wait until after he’s boosted.
Ya, i'm trying to get him to take one somehow. he's concerned that it won't show up on his record, but that's less important than just getting it before travel.

Bratt

No more keeping distance, no more face masks, as good as no more restrictions in Norway from 10AM today. Feels good!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well she’s right that there is still a pandemic. Just that with the variant that’s around now we can live with it with common sense.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
@Stanley Road did you ever consider getting a job with remote only company like Shopify?
I saw one the other day, double the salary i'm on. But with only 10 years left until retirement i'm not sure i'm up for a move. I can do pretty much what i want at my job so i will see what happens later this month. A lot of our hardware is actually in peoples homes.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jan/31/lockdowns-had-little-or-no-impact-covid-19-deaths-/

Paper: https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/f...ffects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

What a surprise, I’ll take all your apologies now innit. And the real shitty thing, the true price of these devastating policies is still to come.
If anyone were to create a global league table of who has had the worst Covid, you’d probably sit atop it. In front of Trump and The Tories and Rogan and so many others.

I don’t think you even know what that paper is analysing, far less what it’s stated outcomes are. It has value when read properly. But it doesn’t say anything that vindicates all of your outrageously wrong takes in the last 24 months.

Go off though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I'm going to Spain at the end of Feb, I'm having my booster this Saturday and I had Covid at the end of December. Aside from filling out the Spanish form, do i need to have a pre-departure covid test? It's all a bit confusing for me.
Regardless of what the rules are…..

Definitely travel with a couple of Covid tests, always. You may get sick while away, or rules may change.

Packing a few should be standard practise for the next year I think.

Skåre Willoch

Nearly done with 4 days in isolation with omicron. Relatively mild symptoms I’d say. Day 1 was like a heavy cold, day 2 was a bit better, day 3 was almost back to normal, and day 4 I’m perfectly fine. I actually had worse (although different) symptoms from the booster dose two weeks ago.

Im very curious to how it’s affected my fitness, though. After a good couple of weeks with running and skiing, I’ll be gutted if it takes a long time to get back in business.

Dante

Average bang
I had omicron in December 2021 and a regular cold in early February 2022. Honestly, the regular cold was significantly worse - likely because of a combination of factors including covid vaccines and lack of exposure to colds for around 2 years.

But whatever the case, it's good that the UK is getting ready to drop all restrictions. 91.3% of eligible people have been vaccinated at least once, with the rest probably having some degree of immunity from prior infection. If we can't move on now, we never will.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I had omicron in December 2021 and a regular cold in early February 2022. Honestly, the regular cold was significantly worse - likely because of a combination of factors including covid vaccines and lack of exposure to colds for around 2 years.

But whatever the case, it's good that the UK is getting ready to drop all restrictions. 91.3% of eligible people have been vaccinated at least once, with the rest probably having some degree of immunity from prior infection. If we can't move on now, we never will.
I still won’t be surprised at all to see restrictions next winter. If vaccine protection drops and it’s 10/11 months since most had their boosters and a new variant rocks up it seems inevitable.

Dante

Average bang
I still won’t be surprised at all to see restrictions next winter. If vaccine protection drops and it’s 10/11 months since most had their boosters and a new variant rocks up it seems inevitable.
To be fair, natural immunity gives better protection than vaccines alone do anyway. And that natural immunity should last a good long while. Even if it doesn't, omicron is one of the most contagious diseases in history. Everyone will probably catch a mild dose a couple of times per year and have their immunity topped up in the process. I think that will be enough to stave off new restrictions. Hopefully.

Link to the CDC research paper