g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Haven’t doom posted in here for ages. Oh well. Here goes.

This is… a bit of a worry?
Does the article break it down into age groups? And as a layman I'm not even sure what it's telling me. Something about the heart.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What happened to the mutation of Omicron that was being reported in some countries last week? Nothing to worry about or too early to tell?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Does the article break it down into age groups? And as a layman I'm not even sure what it's telling me. Something about the heart.
The graph on the right has various bad cardiac outcomes and whether having covid increases your risk of experiencing them, one year later. Dotted line means no increased risk. The further to the right of that the higher the risk. Green = “mild” covid. Orange = hospitalised. Purple = ICU.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What happened to the mutation of Omicron that was being reported in some countries last week? Nothing to worry about or too early to tell?
Last I heard it was potentially more transmissible (based on Danish data I think) but no more harmful (although we may not have enough data to know yet).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The graph on the right has various bad cardiac outcomes and whether having covid increases your risk of experiencing them, one year later. Dotted line means no increased risk. The further to the right of that the higher the risk. Green = “mild” covid. Orange = hospitalised. Purple = ICU.
So non-hospitalised (green) had a significantly raised risk, hospitalised (orange) had a much bigger increased risk and ICU admitted (purple) had a massively increased risk? Am I reading that right?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So non-hospitalised (green) had a significantly raised risk, hospitalised (orange) had a much bigger increased risk and ICU admitted (purple) had a massively increased risk? Am I reading that right?
Basically, yes. The big caveat is they collected all their data from a US army veterans healthcare database, so the average age was mid 60s.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Basically, yes. The big caveat is they collected all their data from a US army veterans healthcare database, so the average age was mid 60s.
I get it now, thanks. Amazing how many people didn't/don't want the vaccine and would rather 'ride it out'.

As you know my wife, and specially teenage daughter, got unhospitalised long covid off the alpha variant. Both are fine now thankfully and obviously vaxxed up. Still relatively little attention is being paid to long covid by governments and health industry two years on. It is what it is I suppose.

Wolverine

Interesting Im going to read through this. Was the covid cohort studied post vaccine?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've just read in our local paper that 2 cases of Omicron 2 have been isolated in our region of Italy. The article quotes the experts as saying it's too early to tell if it's more contagious.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just under 500k positive tests in NL today, population 17m. Thats quite an achievement
Didn't they announce today that they're doing away with restrictions soon? They said something about not being able to cope socially and economically with more lockdowns.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Didn't they announce today that they're doing away with restrictions soon? They said something about not being able to cope socially and economically with more lockdowns.
Presser next week. The new guy in charge of health is a highly acclaimed scientist and is pro opening up. While hospitals are seeing a rise in patients, icu numbers are falling.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm going to Spain at the end of Feb, I'm having my booster this Saturday and I had Covid at the end of December. Aside from filling out the Spanish form, do i need to have a pre-departure covid test? It's all a bit confusing for me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'm going to Spain at the end of Feb, I'm having my booster this Saturday and I had Covid at the end of December. Aside from filling out the Spanish form, do i need to have a pre-departure covid test? It's all a bit confusing for me.
Currently there's no testing required for people who are fully vaccinated:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

Like all these things, there's no knowing what they'll say at the end of February. Spain has a list of "high risk" countries. The UK isn't currently on it.
https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Presser next week. The new guy in charge of health is a highly acclaimed scientist and is pro opening up. While hospitals are seeing a rise in patients, icu numbers are falling.
Exact same trend as in Ireland, we opened up a few weeks ago and hospital and ICU numbers are still going down.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Woohoo, no mo isolation after 21st Feb according to BoJo today. It's being brought forward by a month. The optimism is infectious. :lol:

No isolation for those who test positive

This can't be a good idea
It's also throwing under the bus those who cant get the vaccine or are otherwise vulnerable. Those people will now be terrified of going anywhere.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's also throwing under the bus those who cant get the vaccine or are otherwise vulnerable. Those people will now be terrified of going anywhere.
That was always going to be the case one day sadly. Seems like the UK is determined to be the first to officially "beat" covid

Smores

It does feel premature to just give the signal not to bother isolating right? I mean they could have at least enforced it'll still be guidance just not a legal requirement.

We were at the aquarium at the weekend and most, including a couple with coughs, were maskless. We were in a minority wearing one but it was very busy and crowded.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
hey guys, could anybody give me some insight when you're not infectious anymore after having contracted corona? Like how many days on average after not having symptoms (and testing negative, obviously) are necessary to wait it out? Thing is, I found contradicting information while googling (even on official sites) and would like to get some input, since people like @Pogue Mahone are very well informed. My wife and my daughter tested positive on monday and already feel better (and tested negative this evening) and I am very eager to stop separating myself from them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
hey guys, could anybody give me some insight when you're not infectious anymore after having contracted corona? Like how many days on average after not having symptoms (and testing negative, obviously) are necessary to wait it out? Thing is, I found contradicting information while googling (even on official sites) and would like to get some input, since people like @Pogue Mahone are very well informed. My wife and my daughter tested positive on monday and already feel better (and tested negative this evening) and I am very eager to stop separating myself from them.
Depends on country, I think in ireland is when you get so many neg lateral flows in a row. 3? (1 each day not all same day)

golden_blunder

Staff
It does feel premature to just give the signal not to bother isolating right? I mean they could have at least enforced it'll still be guidance just not a legal requirement.

We were at the aquarium at the weekend and most, including a couple with coughs, were maskless. We were in a minority wearing one but it was very busy and crowded.
practising being cnuts

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Depends on country, I think in ireland is when you get so many neg lateral flows in a row. 3? (1 each day not all same day)
Well, maybe I worded my question not precisely enough, but I meant biological, not legal aspects. As in: after someone contracted corona and is tested negative and doesn't have symptoms anymore, what is the most reasonable and logical timeframe in which I can see said person without contracting the virus myself?

golden_blunder

Staff
Well, maybe I worded my question not precisely enough, but I meant biological, not legal aspects. As in: after someone contracted corona and is tested negative and doesn't have symptoms anymore, what is the most reasonable and logical timeframe in which I can see said person without contracting the virus myself?
Ah sorry, understand now but no idea

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He had replied to a similar question from me with a twitter thread showing graphs of viral load. Based on my memory of that, the viral level has drops after 5, 7, and 10 days, but I think a negative test should be more important than a graph based on averages from other people, and I don't think those graphs separated based on negative/positive tests.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You’d think maybe one lesson that could have been learned from this whole thing is to stay off when you’re ill? Self isolation when you have anything should be a given. Capitalism says NO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If they’re testing negative and feeling better then your chance of catching anything off them is fairly trivial.

Ultimately the decision depends on your own perception of risk and consequences of getting infected. If you’re extremely clinically vulnerable then you might want to be more careful. If you’re young/healthy and vaccinated/boosted then there’s a case to be made for not separating from them in the first place.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Ah sorry, understand now but no idea
thanks anyways!

He had replied to a similar question from me with a twitter thread showing graphs of viral load. Based on my memory of that, the viral level has drops after 5, 7, and 10 days, but I think a negative test should be more important than a graph based on averages from other people, and I don't think those graphs separated based on negative/positive tests.
Alright.

If they’re testing negative and feeling better then your chance of catching anything off them is fairly trivial.

Ultimately the decision depends on your own perception of risk and consequences of getting infected. If you’re extremely clinically vulnerable then you might want to be more careful. If you’re young/healthy and vaccinated/boosted then there’s a case to be made for not separating from them in the first place.
Thanks! Well, I am selfemployed, which is why getting corona and risking shutting down the business for a week would be absolutely catastrophic, so I decided to play it safe. I am triple vaccinated, 32 years old and have no known underlying health issues at this moment. I guess I will wait till they test negative tomorrow and then proceed with business as usual.

Thank you guys for your input.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
You’d think maybe one lesson that could have been learned from this whole thing is to stay off when you’re ill? Self isolation when you have anything should be a given. Capitalism says NO.
No cold, no flu and no sniffles for 2 years. Such a contrast from the last quarter of 2019 when I was off several times sick. Beginning of 2020 too until office closed. No office, no people, no contact. Its that simple to beat any 'catchy' illness

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton