SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Whatsername

I’m just getting over it for the second time this year. I’m fully vaccinated and boostered as I was on the shielding list and was due to get the Autumn booster this weekend.

First time the symptoms lasted all of a few hours.

This time it started with a dry feeling in my chest the day after the Arsenal game and I put it down to shouting. Next day I had a dry cough and tested negative. Felt a bit achy as well the day after that. Thursday was the Sociedad game and I felt exhausted all day but didn’t want my son driving home alone after an early start and a day at work before driving to Manchester and back so I tested again and it was negative so I went.

The following morning I had a blocked nose and sore throat, and it was then that I tested positive (only bothered testing again because I had to visit my parents and they’re in their late 80s and quite frail). I didn’t test negative until yesterday (Thursday) and I’m still feeling tired and coughing quite a bit.

First time we all had it in the house, this time it’s just been me despite my son sharing a bottle of water with me at the Sociedad game.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m just getting over it for the second time this year. I’m fully vaccinated and boostered as I was on the shielding list and was due to get the Autumn booster this weekend.

First time the symptoms lasted all of a few hours.

This time it started with a dry feeling in my chest the day after the Arsenal game and I put it down to shouting. Next day I had a dry cough and tested negative. Felt a bit achy as well the day after that. Thursday was the Sociedad game and I felt exhausted all day but didn’t want my son driving home alone after an early start and a day at work before driving to Manchester and back so I tested again and it was negative so I went.

The following morning I had a blocked nose and sore throat, and it was then that I tested positive (only bothered testing again because I had to visit my parents and they’re in their late 80s and quite frail). I didn’t test negative until yesterday (Thursday) and I’m still feeling tired and coughing quite a bit.

First time we all had it in the house, this time it’s just been me despite my son sharing a bottle of water with me at the Sociedad game.
Get better soon

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It finally got me. I don’t think I’m going to die but I do currently feel worse than anyone that’s ever had the illness. Pretty sure it’s man-COVID.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Imagine Beckham's disappointment when he finally got to the front of that queue and discovered that Brian May and the gang were nowhere to be seen.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
For people that have had it recently, how long did it last? I’m seriously bored of it already.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Longer than you’d think. I only had a very mild dose but the sniffles lasted miles longer than a ‘normal’ head cold. Probably over a week?
Ffs. I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. Headache for the last 72 hours, non-persistent but painful cough due to throat being like razors, aching skin, night sweats but fortunately no loss of appetite or smell and my nose isn’t blocked. I fecking hate having a blocked nose.

My partner is in her third trimester so I’m more worried about her getting it, plus we’ve got a 6 month old collie that she’s currently having to look after by herself

golden_blunder

Staff
Ffs. I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. Headache for the last 72 hours, non-persistent but painful cough due to throat being like razors, aching skin, night sweats but fortunately no loss of appetite or smell and my nose isn’t blocked. I fecking hate having a blocked nose.

My partner is in her third trimester so I’m more worried about her getting it, plus we’ve got a 6 month old collie that she’s currently having to look after by herself
Get well soon. Also congrats

gormless

Got it for the second time. 3 days in. Nowhere near as bad as when I had Delta. Not to say I don’t feel shit, but Delta made me understand how people were dying. This just makes me feel a wee bit shite.

Brophs

The One and Only

Thinly veiled attempt at letting us know you’ve been shagging.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Holy shit I had no idea Covid could last trimesters. That’s fecking scary.

Woodzy

Ramping up massively again atm it seems based on the number of people I know that have gotten it within the last week.

King Eric 7

How do people know in UK that you have covid? No free tests around.
We still have a few boxes of free tests in our household. I rarely test now so the four boxes I hoarded before they stopped giving them out will probably last me quite some time.

Andy_Cole

One child got it and my other got a weird cold, but never tested positive last week.

You can still buy them,
Sorry that was slightly rhetorical. As in I imagine no one is testing as tests aren’t free. So it surprises me that they know covid rates are rising. I guess this news is directly from hospitals?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sorry that was slightly rhetorical. As in I imagine no one is testing as tests aren’t free. So it surprises me that they know covid rates are rising. I guess this news is directly from hospitals?
In the UK we have hospital and similar stats plus the ONS random sample that tests people from all over the country. A lot less tests done (and even fewer results recorded) than before but still enough to get a statistically valid picture of what's happening.

Importantly, a good percentage of those positive tests then get processed further to look at the specific variants that are currently circulating. From that, you can see how some variants start to contribute more of the cases over time.

In England one of the worrying things is how many people are catching it in hospital. Routine testing in hospital has stopped. And now, Covid's symptoms are mild in most people, so the test doesn't happen. So it's only when someone who is is more vulnerable (or unlucky) catches it and starts showing more serious symptoms that it gets noticed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the UK we have hospital and similar stats plus the ONS random sample that tests people from all over the country. A lot less tests done (and even fewer results recorded) than before but still enough to get a statistically valid picture of what's happening.

Importantly, a good percentage of those positive tests then get processed further to look at the specific variants that are currently circulating. From that, you can see how some variants start to contribute more of the cases over time.

In England one of the worrying things is how many people are catching it in hospital. Routine testing in hospital has stopped. And now, Covid's symptoms are mild in most people, so the test doesn't happen. So it's only when someone who is is more vulnerable (or unlucky) catches it and starts showing more serious symptoms that it gets noticed.
I read a Twitter thread from someone who’s involved in tracking all the variants and there’s already been a load of new ones since omicron. However the mutations are constantly trending towards being either less contagious and/or less virulent. So all the signals are we should be able to stop worrying about this stupid virus in the very near future. The latest tweaked vaccines should be the nail in its coffin.

Heardy

2.5 years into the pandemic and I’ve finally been collared by COVID.

My two baby kids (16 months and 3 months) have both been coughing like crazy last few days. Ive developed a cough but I ache like crazy - I only joked this morning to my wife that I feel like I’ve suddenly got old, the jumping out of bed in the middle of the night to do the feeds and I’m hobbling down the stairs / the duvet feels heavy when I pull it up in bed - I was like wtf has happened to me.

Hopefully it’ll pass and it doesn’t get any worse but I feel like I’ve been hit by a car.

Weirdly my wife who started feeling rough on Sunday has tested negative so maybe she’s had it and over the worst of it?

I blame my lad bringing it back from nursery but honestly who knows!

golden_blunder

Staff
The minister for health was saying they are putting in place plans for rapid testing, wearing masks in public transport etc, all the usual stuff again. They also turned my warfarin clinic into a covid respiratory ward at Connolly hospital, away from the main building