g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I had it in December for the first time and it barely registered on the test, the faintest of lines despite having it pretty badly. Certainly possible you had it without knowing, lucky you!!
Which is really weird as I smoked for 30 years so I would have thought I'd have been hit harder

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The fact that people are still testing themselves for covid really bugs me. Why? What's the point? If you test negative does that mean it's ok to go out and about and possibly pass influenza on to vulnerable people? Because, if anything, influenza is more dangerous than covid right now. So doing a covid test will tell you nothing useful. Please stop.

Ian Reus

The fact that people are still testing themselves for covid really bugs me. Why? What's the point? If you test negative does that mean it's ok to go out and about and possibly pass influenza on to vulnerable people? Because, if anything, influenza is more dangerous than covid right now. So doing a covid test will tell you nothing useful. Please stop.
It's the opposite in Peru right now.
I took a test for more curiosity though.

Up until at least Christmas they were still testing and segregating people in hospitals here, so they obviously think there is still something to be worried about.

Ian Reus

Curiosity is probably the only rational reason to do a test, to be fair.

Why is it the opposite in Peru?
For the majority of the country, they do not have access or the facilities to test for influenza and apart from avian influenza and sub strains, COVID is still regarded as the bigger killer.
70% of households don't even have a fridge so daily hand to hand bartering is rife.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For the majority of the country, they do not have access or the facilities to test for influenza and apart from avian influenza and sub strains, COVID is still regarded as the bigger killer.
70% of households don't even have a fridge so daily hand to hand bartering is rife.
So covid is the bigger killer because it's the only one being tested for. That's kind of my point. Plus there's a false security about non-covid viruses that comes from persistently testing for covid and not behaving the same way with every viral infection, positive covid test, or negative covid test.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve got about a dozen tests left. Would it be better if I chucked them in the bin unused?

Or is it ok with you if when I am feel like I’ve got the flu, I use it to see if it’s covid out of curiosity?

Ian Reus

So covid is the bigger killer because it's the only one being tested for. That's kind of my point. Plus there's a false security about non-covid viruses that comes from persistently testing for covid and not behaving the same way with every viral infection, positive covid test, or negative covid test.
The mortality rates here have soared in the last few years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’ve got about a dozen tests left. Would it be better if I chucked them in the bin unused?

Or is it ok with you if when I am feel like I’ve got the flu, I use it to see if it’s covid out of curiosity?
See above. If you're really desperate to know whether or not SARS-CoV-2 is behind your sniffles then knock yourself out. Once you've already had it at least once I don't really understand the curiosity but whatever. The main thing is how you behave if you get a negative test. Because the really annoying thing about all of this is hearing about people feeling sick, getting a negative covid test and then going into work/sending their kids to school "it's ok, the covid test was negative" That's been a factor in the crazy amount of non-covid viruses sweeping through society this winter.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
See above. If you're really desperate to know whether or not SARS-CoV-2 is behind your sniffles then knock yourself out. Once you've already had it at least once I don't really understand the curiosity but whatever. The main thing is how you behave if you get a negative test. Because the really annoying thing about all of this is hearing about people feeling sick, getting a negative covid test and then going into work/sending their kids to school "it's ok, the covid test was negative" That's been a factor in the crazy amount of non-covid viruses sweeping through society this winter.
Agreed on people’s behaviour around normal cold and flu. I don’t know why they think it’s acceptable to share those bugs knowing what we all know now about immunocompromised individuals.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Agreed on people’s behaviour around normal cold and flu. I don’t know why they think it’s acceptable to share those bugs knowing what we all know now about immunocompromised individuals.
Yeah, I thought the one and only positive to come out of this would be a bit more common sense around how to behave when you've caught an URTI. So it's been quite annoying how often I hear people thinking a negative covid test means all bets are off. And don't even get me started on parents sending their kids in to school with the puke from a winter vomiting bug barely dry on their lips.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, I thought the one and only positive to come out of this would be a bit more common sense around how to behave when you've caught an URTI. So it's been quite annoying how often I hear people thinking a negative covid test means all bets are off. And don't even get me started on parents sending their kids in to school with the puke from a winter vomiting bug barely dry on their lips.
People are assholes, have always been assholes, and will continue to grow in their assholeness. What made anyone think a global pandemic that killed millions would change that? If anything I think people have gotten worse. I've seen more angry/selfish behavior in the last 12 months then I can remember in the decade before. It's always been there, but the need to mask it died along with those millions of people.

djembatheking

There are a lot of people that soldier on with colds and the flu cos they are self employed or on zero hour contracts and get feck all if they don`t go to work. They still have to heat their homes, feed their kids and pay their mortgages and believe me they would love to be able to take time off work when they had a cold. It is the lack of proper sick pay for people that is the problem and support for those that really need it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s gas. Talking to friends who work in the teaching hospitals and covid is a non issue now. And has been for ages.
Seems to be some disconnect. I think Connolly are still taking it seriously from the point of view they don’t want it spreading round the wards to people who are already vulnerable

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Thought the guy who was swabbing me in A&E was going to come out the other side of my head btw.

either that or lobotomy by swabbing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thought the guy who was swabbing me in A&E was going to come out the other side of my head btw.

either that or lobotomy by swabbing
Probably just keeping up protocols nobody wants to take responsibility for stopping. It really makes no sense. Not unless you’re also swapping for influenza. Doesn’t do any harm though, I guess.

Balljy

Probably just keeping up protocols nobody wants to take responsibility for stopping. It really makes no sense. Not unless you’re also swapping for influenza. Doesn’t do any harm though, I guess.
For suspected influenza cases in the UK it's suggested they are tested & isolated in hospital. If they're not it's probably a capacity issue rather than treating flu differently.

Cloud7

I can only speak for where I am now, but if someone has Covid, regardless of how symptomatic they actually are, their work/school would tell them to stay home, whereas with the flu the expectation is that unless you're really sick that you still have to come to work. Most workplaces generally don't give much leeway in terms of staying home if you have the cold. I'm not saying that's correct but it is what it is.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At my work if you have covid you don't need a doctors note if you are off for 3 days or more so you have to test yourself if you suspect that you have it. And GPs don't want people with covid to attend in person further encouraging testing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
At my work if you have covid you don't need a doctors note if you are off for 3 days or more so you have to test yourself if you suspect that you have it. And GPs don't want people with covid to attend in person further encouraging testing.
I’m sure they ideally don’t want anyone with influenza attending in person either. But that’s more likely if a negative covid test gives you the all clear.

Not to mention that someone could have a positive covid test and a more serious illness (say, bacterial pneumonia) that does merit attendance in person.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can only speak for where I am now, but if someone has Covid, regardless of how symptomatic they actually are, their work/school would tell them to stay home, whereas with the flu the expectation is that unless you're really sick that you still have to come to work. Most workplaces generally don't give much leeway in terms of staying home if you have the cold. I'm not saying that's correct but it is what it is.
Yeah, that seems to be widespread. Makes no sense to me but, like you say, it is what it is. Hopefully they all wise up soon.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’m sure they ideally don’t want anyone with influenza attending in person either. But that’s more likely if a negative covid test gives you the all clear.

Not to mention that someone could have a positive covid test and a more serious illness (say, bacterial pneumonia) that does merit attendance in person.
The current advice here is not to.attend a GP's office unless specifically asked to by your GP. There are also signs up saying not to come in if you have covid like symptoms (which would cover flu symptoms as well) and to go away and phone them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The current advice here is not to.attend a GP's office unless specifically asked to by your GP. There are also signs up saying not to come in if you have covid like symptoms (which would cover flu symptoms as well) and to go away and phone them.
See that’s sensible. If you have symptoms, stay home, unless absolutely necessary to come in. Whether or not you test positive for covid. So no need to test.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
why would anyone be doing a covid test if they don’t have any symptoms?
Without symptoms? Only if your partner has covid and you didn't want to have it without knowing and spread it to others perhaps? But as a general precaution it would seem a bit OTT now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Without symptoms? Only if your partner has covid and you didn't want to have it without knowing and spread it to others perhaps? But as a general precaution it would seem a bit OTT now.
So that’s my point. If you have symptoms behave as if positive. If you don’t have symptoms then you don’t need to test. Either way, the test adds nothing. Other than a false sense of security if negative.

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I thought the newer tests were double tests, for both Covid and flu.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Time really does lull us into a false sense of security.

I haven't taken the flu jab in about 10 years. Basically because every single time I did take it before I felt terrible for about a week-10 days afterwards. In those following 10 years , since stopping the jabs i haven't had as much as the sniffles. Well nothing to keep me from my everyday life anyways.

Now I'm at a crossroads. I've taken the first 3 covid jabs. Mainly for travel reasons more than anything else if I'm being honest. I kept telling myself I'll take the 4th jab which I've had the option of taking for about 6 months now but as time goes on the less inclined I am to take it. I've never had covid which is probably (wrongly?) Influencing my decision. In another year I'll probably be as adamant in not taking the covid jab as I am with the flu jab providing there's no surprises along the way.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Time really does lull us into a false sense of security.

I haven't taken the flu jab in about 10 years. Basically because every single time I did take it before I felt terrible for about a week-10 days afterwards. In those following 10 years , since stopping the jabs i haven't had as much as the sniffles. Well nothing to keep me from my everyday life anyways.

Now I'm at a crossroads. I've taken the first 3 covid jabs. Mainly for travel reasons more than anything else if I'm being honest. I kept telling myself I'll take the 4th jab which I've had the option of taking for about 6 months now but as time goes on the less inclined I am to take it. I've never had covid which is probably (wrongly?) Influencing my decision. In another year I'll probably be as adamant in not taking the covid jab as I am with the flu jab providing there's no surprises along the way.
I have had my annual flu jab every years since I got increbibly sick with H1N1 flu in 2009. Nothing since but I also don't react badly to the flu jab. That said not getting flu is no reason not to get vaccinated. I'd never had (or been very sick with) flu for 45 tears until I did very badly and ony wasn't hospitalised because I refused (I was self employed and would have gone broke if I'd had to stop work).

I've had 4 covid jabs and then finally got covid in Nov 22. I was far from well and was exhausted for 3+ weeks, but I didn't get the worst symptoms thankfully. I'll be getting my 5th (now tweaked for Omicron) at the end April when I can - 6 months after last jab or infection.

Loon

:lol:
Had my second round after four jabs this week. Worse than the first time and I still have no sense of smell or taste (although I’ve been accused of the latter for years…)