SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My firm is now asking everyone to work from home for at least one day next week to check system capabilities. General message aside from this is that WFH is “encouraged but not compulsory”.

Probably only a matter of time until it becomes compulsory.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trump just met with him, shook hands etc. The pressure to get him tested will be immense now.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No further deaths reported though? 10 is still very low compared to other countries.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think that's the case everywhere now tbh. You can tell by the number of officials, celebs, sportspeople coming out positive now that the figures everyone is reporting are not worth the paper they are written on. All that will matter when all the dust has cleared is how many have died. Not just from Covid19 directly but also from the fallout of it.
Yeah I think lock down China still is the only way to "cope" with this. Not that I think it will stop it but it does seem to slow the rate of infection.

Alabaster Codify7

Bolsonaro is someone worthy of it, to be honest. Don't care how un-PC that comes across. If Trump has it, jesus. They would NEVER tell us I reckon.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Trump just met with him, shook hands etc. The pressure to get him tested will be immense now.

Whats the betting they will announce that Trump's very own Dr Nick will be testing him in the morning and by afternoon the test results will be back written in Sharpie (NO KORONAH)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Bolsonaro is someone worthy of it, to be honest. Don't care how un-PC that comes across. If Trump has it, jesus. They would NEVER tell us I reckon.
The Healthcare that these guys will have will be insane though compared to what is even available for the best covered Private patients.

Trump is basically a walking Hamburger and is in his 70s, but you know that fecker could somehow never, ever be taken out by this.

marktan

No further deaths reported though? 10 is still very low compared to other countries.
Not for countries with a similar infected figure, we have more than most European nations with a similar figure.

200+ new infections for the first time in the UK, looks like it's speading up. Within about a week we'll probably get to where Spain is with 1000 infections a day, and at that point things could start to get ugly if the NHS starts to struggle.

Not sure why the gov is being so lenient in it's response, pretty much all European countries are trending the same way. Maybe to try delay it to the Easter holiday to avoid school/work disruptions, but by then it'll likely be a lot worse than now.

Smores

Just had to take this missus to hospital for some some complications due to an infection (she's fine) but the amount of NHS staff openly having conversations about how fecked they are and how unprepared. One nurse seemed to be having a barmy with a senior about the lack of protection they were being offered.

Really do feel for them all.

Nogbadthebad

798 cases in the UK, +208 cases. 30% rise for the second day in a row.

Welcome to the party, i guess.
Given official government policy is that they are not testing anyone, and they specifically do not want to know if you have the symptoms at home, these numbers are worthless.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wales Scotland off. Gutted, literally just arrived in Wales for it and would have been my first rugby match.

However I know it's for the best.

redshaw

Can we call it off in retrospect.............:angel:
No but I did say a day or two before the game on here many times it should be called off or behind closed doors. I was looking at the numbers in Spain and they looked extremely bad to me and also stated half the cases are in Madrid and that's still the case.

Whatever, UK will be similar levels in a few weeks probably. Would be interesting to see if any increase happened in the north west.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry, I'll reword it.

So I am assuming that most people that become infected are infected at a single point in time or at least in a short period of time by a single person or handful of people :- They will likely be infected by the virus in a particular point in its evolutionary life cycle and hopefully overcome it.

Front line medics on the other hand are likely to come into contact with literally thousands of infected people over a much longer time frame :- They are likely to see greater variety in the virus as it mutates from person to person, in some cases it might be more harmless and in others it could have mutated in a particularly nasty way or in a way that has evolved to overcome the natural immunity the medic has developed.

Is this logical/biologically viable? Essentially does immunity generally protect from the virus when in place or can a virus mutate in such a way/rate that continual exposure over a length of time to a wide variety of carriers increase the risk of a critical infection?
Ok. I think I understand the question. And the answer is “no”. The reason healthcare workers are more likely to be more sick is most likely about viral load. In animal models, the higher the initial infective dose of most viruses the worse the outcome. There’s an assumption that the same is true for doctors/nurses infected in hospitals.

marktan

Given official government policy is that they are not testing anyone, and they specifically do not want to know if you have the symptoms at home, these numbers are worthless.
They have stopped testing now sure, if you think you have it simply isolate yourself.
Is that the case? Not read that anywhere. Surely that will under-report the figures massively over the coming week? Makes sense I guess from the point of not overwhelming hospitals, but then you're not really tracing anyone and you're allowing it to spread everywhere, which'll be damaging especially for the older population.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Iceland has just banned gathering of over 100 people, unprecedented in the country to ban gatherings. Sports have not been cancelled so far. We're about to go into the finals in basketball and handball but I can't imagine them going through with it.

Colleges and high schools are also closed down but kindergarten and schools will still be open.

stepic

Use yours and answer the fecking question if you're gonna bother wading in.

Respected Health officials the Globe over are criticizing the Tory Governments heel dragging, particularly over schools.

Repeating the same blurb that you've heard some fat conman peddling on TV isn't answering the question - it's paying lip-service, so save the bother if that's all you're willing to do.
the reason why China doesn't have a problem having enough darecare and nannies is the same reason as they can build a hospital in a week. you can't compare like for like.

if you ban schools, where are all those kids going? tell me. and don't say their grandparents. the schools will be shut down, don't worry. just not yet. it's pretty simple.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm really out of touch when it comes to these things, I get that it's an efficient way to expose people to the WHO link but I still roll my eyes when I read #dab.
Covering your cough with the fold of your arm is better than spitting into your hand.

I’ve never dabbed anything but this is still useful for the kids out there.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

stepic

Is that the case? Not read that anywhere. Surely that will under-report the figures massively over the coming week? Makes sense I guess from the point of not overwhelming hospitals, but then you're not really tracing anyone and you're allowing it to spread everywhere, which'll be damaging especially for the older population.
if you have any signs of the flu or cold you should isolate yourself. people need to take some personal responsibility.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
the reason why China doesn't have a problem having enough darecare and nannies is the same reason as they can build a hospital in a week. you can't compare like for like.

if you ban schools, where are all those kids going? tell me. and don't say their grandparents. the schools will be shut down, don't worry. just not yet. it's pretty simple.
Read one post above yours - Iceland can close schools, how are they capable of this yet U.K cannot do it?

It's almost as if a Government can quite easily actually arrange childcare for Healthcare workers isn't it?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Ok. I think I understand the question. And the answer is “no”. The reason healthcare workers are more likely to be more sick is most likely about viral load. In animal models, the higher the initial infective dose of most viruses the worse the outcome. There’s an assumption that the same is true for doctors/nurses infected in hospitals.
OK that makes sense, so a toxic combination of being overwhelmed with a very high/consistent intake of the virus combined with stress / fatigue can lead to a severely compromised/overwhelmed immune system. Sounds absolutely terrifying.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Wales Scotland off. Gutted, literally just arrived in Wales for it and would have been my first rugby match.

However I know it's for the best.
Annoying, I'm sure you'll get another chance!

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What a fecking knob this guy is. Get out of our club.
Oh grow up. How the feck can anyone use someone using their profile to raise awareness for a cause like this to get themselves faux annoyed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yea what a fecking wanker using his profile to raise awareness of good hygiene practice.
Have you read the reactions on that post of his?

I get what he meant but he's been stupid here. Just stupid.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
They are -LITERALLY- following government guidelines.
The government guidelines are not to run your business or organisation in an inflexible manner. We are following government guidelines to keep out organisation fully operational, whilst also encouraging staff to consider more home working and conducting meetings remotely. This is not remotely contradictory with the official guidance published.

Universities having policies in 2020 that do not allow remote lectures is the result of poor policy making. Universities not allowing remote lectures in response to the developing situation, because they believe it contracts official guidance, is human error.