SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

spiriticon

:eek:
Typical, today they said new cases were slowing and then they pump out numbers lots had presumed

They reclassified the diagnosis criteria hence the large numbers. 13300 cases out of the 14800 were added to the total because of the reclassification. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the new numbers but after a big of digging I found the reason.

Adamsk7

Yeah so they are now adding people that have been, I believe, diagnosed by a GP and sent to self isolate but not had a test (due to demand). The numbers of confirmed cases has actually fell again in line with previous days.

So it’s not good news but it’s not bad news either. The deaths also include a load from this new classification process but I have no idea what that means in this regard.

Adamsk7

Actually reading up some more it seems the whole of China had been including those clinically diagnosed in their reporting and this is just Hubei Provence catching up. Partially probably to do with WHO presence there now. Actually after an initial feeling of utter dread and panic from seeing the headline numbers, the number of confirmed (from test) was down again and deaths was similar to yesterday

lynchie

Ridiculously alarmist way to present that data. If they know how many they didn't count under the old method, they also know when they didn't count them, so why not spread that spike over the previous days?

Smores

fecking shut down travel to and from China FFS.

There are babies and old people (who've contributed tax money for decades) and ill people in hospitals who deserve better than this.

Who fecking cares if it's 'tricky' to get travel to and from China for a few months.

fecking shut it down, blithering morons.
I agree but in truth they'll just get indirect fights if needed. Aside from stopping all international travel then you can't do much.

It will explode here at some point it's just a matter of when. I'd assume we don't have the capacity to support an endemic here so you're probably better getting it now whilst hospital admissions are low and you can be treated promptly.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Still not sure what to make of it - why haven't we taken any action? The death rate outside of China is 0.003% thus most people are recovering well.

Nows the time to act but we don't, as a country, seem to be too bothered.

lynchie

Still not sure what to make of it - why haven't we taken any action? The death rate outside of China is 0.003% thus most people are recovering well.

Nows the time to act but we don't, as a country, seem to be too bothered.
I think you've answered your own question - action has been taken to restrict exposure with various travel restrictions, and the NHS is likely pretty confident that it can deal with a few small outbreaks, given the low mortality rate. There's not a convincing reason to take more drastic measures, that would only cause panic and probably infringe on people's freedom.

Di Maria's angel

I think you've answered your own question - action has been taken to restrict exposure with various travel restrictions, and the NHS is likely pretty confident that it can deal with a few small outbreaks, given the low mortality rate. There's not a convincing reason to take more drastic measures, that would only cause panic and probably infringe on people's freedom.
I think you're right (and guess I was too). Lets just hope things pan out well. Whats happening in China is saddening.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This is dumb. Why are they stuck on a ship where conditions would be ideal for the virus to spread? A confined area packed with people. And now that there is at least one person infected, what difference does it make to quarantine them on a boat or elsewhere?
Why let them off to interact with other people if they might be potentially carrying it but not showing symptoms?

matherto

Being a TA where you're pretty much fighting off one cold or another from kids and constantly getting coughed on or accidentally spat on from talking and so on, I've also resigned myself to absolutely catching it.

Slightly worried how it'll affect the kids to be honest because although they're relatively healthy, they're young and their immune systems are still developing.

They're all already shit scared of it yet they won't follow basic instruction like covering their mouths when they cough/sneeze or washing their hands frequently.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The only reason it's so bad in China is due to the bad timing.

The long incubation period of the virus and the Chinese flying back to their hometown for the Chinese New Year celebrations means that it's basically impossible to trace every patient and the people they've come in contact with.
Bad timing instead of pretending nothing is wrong and suppressing news about the developing situation? Ok Pooh Bear.

Di Maria's angel

Being a TA where you're pretty much fighting off one cold or another from kids and constantly getting coughed on or accidentally spat on from talking and so on, I've also resigned myself to absolutely catching it.

Slightly worried how it'll affect the kids to be honest because although they're relatively healthy, they're young and their immune systems are still developing.

They're all already shit scared of it yet they won't follow basic instruction like covering their mouths when they cough/sneeze or washing their hands frequently.
In fairness, there have only been 9 cases in the UK since its development around the 18th or 19th of Jan. Thats almost a month since we were informed by the Chinese.

Di Maria's angel

Why let them off to interact with other people if they might be potentially carrying it but not showing symptoms?
I didn't say they should have been freed. Just that keeping them in such a confined space and allowing it to spread to uninfected people seems counter productive.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Someone I know has every sign of this. Its been 2 weeks since he's suffering from the symptoms. He works amongst Chinese students who travelled to China earlier on.

He is refusing to get professional help but I'm gonna force him.

Hammerfell

Someone I know has every sign of this. Its been 2 weeks since he's suffering from the symptoms. He works amongst Chinese students who travelled to China earlier on.

How?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Can you call the police in this situation?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Thats a good question, he has the advantage over me in all situations. He's just challenged me to an arm wrestle and I look weak because I've had to refuse.

Edit - In all seriousness, I am thinking of calling 111 for their advice

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Thats a good question, he has the advantage over me in all situations. He's just challenged me to an arm wrestle and I look weak because I've had to refuse.

Yeah call that and ask for the Hazmat removal team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
From a scientific perspective it's fascinating in a morbid way that new viruses are still out there. You'd think by now we've discovered everything but then this new coronavirus pops up.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
From a scientific perspective it's fascinating in a morbid way that new viruses are still out there. You'd think by now we've discovered everything but then this new coronavirus pops up.
The whole thing is fascinating, especially as it’s happening in such a politically totalitarian country. Hospitals being erected in 10 days, videos of the state welding doors shut....it’s crazy, and sad in a way that the fascination takes away from the fact that people are sick and dying in droves

matherto

I didn't say they should have been freed. Just that keeping them in such a confined space and allowing it to spread to uninfected people seems counter productive.
I suppose it's let them get infected on the cruise ship or let them infect the larger populace. I'm not sure if there are carriers with no symptoms who don't get ill but infect those that do of course but maybe they don't either so they're keeping them on there knowing they'll likely get infected but it's a greater good scenario.

Plus as others have said, maybe cynically they're using it as a test bed to study things.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

I'm sure the authorities must be able to step in - he's potentially endangering the safety of thousands of innocent people through his own selfishness.

You should make some calls for sure.

Steerpike

Viruses mutate - it's an example of evolution. There will be any number of these mutations in existence as a matter of course, but most will go largely unnoticed as their effects will not be much different to the strains of virus they mutated from. Occasionally one will show up which has a more significant effect (e.g. more severe symptoms, or a greater capacity to spread). If a new strain persists for long enough, a vaccine may be developed to combat it, but also a natural resistance will build up in the populations which become exposed to it. This takes time, so the general practice when cold of flu type viruses emerge is to manage the symptoms.

Have there been cases yet where the Covid-19 virus has killed people who were otherwise fit and healthy?

Fingeredmouse

Viruses mutate - it's an example of evolution. There will be any number of these mutations in existence as a matter of course, but most will go largely unnoticed as their effects will not be much different to the strains of virus they mutated from. Occasionally one will show up which has a more significant effect (e.g. more severe symptoms, or a greater capacity to spread). If a new strain persists for long enough, a vaccine may be developed to combat it, but also a natural resistance will build up in the populations which become exposed to it. This takes time, so the general practice when cold of flu type viruses emerge is to manage the symptoms.

Have there been cases yet where the Covid-19 virus has killed people who were otherwise fit and healthy?
The Doctor in his late 20s who broke the news initially?

Simbo

That's the one that gets mentioned but its mostly the elderly, or anyone with some other condition that are at risk. Plenty people in their 20's are not fit and health, you never know what is going on under the hood.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Early 30s, and seems to be the only one. I'm guessing him being among the first to get it while being exposed at a level most people will never face didn't help his case.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool

Don't panic, it's unlikely to be in your area. If there's community infection schools should be suspended anyway; the parents will make sure of it!

Di Maria's angel

Today seems to be a little quiet. Unless I've missed it, there hasn't been a giant leap in cases or deaths.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We hadn’t seen our Chinese friend or her kids for a couple of weeks, which is unusual because they go to the same schools etc. my wife’s after telling me that she called round to drop something off and initially they wouldn’t open the door, then the lady opened the door wearing a face mask and looking dreadful.

So thanks to my wife I’ll probably die soon. Happy Valentine’s Day

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
We hadn’t seen our Chinese friend or her kids for a couple of weeks, which is unusual because they go to the same schools etc. my wife’s after telling me that she called round to drop something off and initially they wouldn’t open the door, then the lady opened the door wearing a face mask and looking dreadful.

:lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

It's been an honour. *salutes*

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Easy, geebs. If the other things you've been through haven't killed you yet, I doubt some pesky virus will.