SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not surprised 'encourage home working' is leading the poll :lol:

Though, how many people have jobs that can be done from home? My mums a carer, maybe she should bring the elderly home with her.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No one knows the mortality rate for the healthy and fit though do they? That’s the problem.
They have a good idea that it is probably around 1% - in thexrangecof 0.5-1.5% most likely. 5 to 15% higher than the flu.

Stactix

Saw this....

I posted this before using 70%:

Herd immunity develops at around 70% coverage.

Let's run some numbers:

UK pop: 67 million

70% infected, so 47 million people

2.35 million needing ICU care (5%)

Total ICU beds in UK: 4000

Typical ICU bed occupancy rate: 75%

Typical available ICU beds: 1000

Typical duration in ICU for Covid: 2 weeks

Time required to get through Covid patients without kicking out normal ICU patients: 4700 weeks, or 90 years.

The 'herd immunity' strategy is basically the 'no ICU' strategy.

Let's not even talk about how coronaviruses typically don't result in long-term immunity.

Revan

Assumptionman
They have a good idea that it is probably around 1% - in thexrangecof 0.5-1.5% most likely. 5 to 15% higher than the flu.
From what I've read for people under 40 is 0.2%, for 40-49 is 0.4%. It reaches over 1% for people who are over 60.

I think this doesn't account the medical system being overwhelmed, in which case it will likely be higher.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Whole Foods company is only giving its staff unpaid leave. To be fair, it must be struggling for money since they're owned by... *checks notes* ... Jeff Bezos.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Genuine question. One from the films and books. You’re in charge and you’ve got the choice of the following:

1) 500,000 of your most vulnerable and elderly will die quickly if you don’t act to close everything (borders, schools, travel, leisure) but you’ll protect the long term future of the country and minimise future deaths.

2) You protect everyone early on and put in huge restrictions to daily life. The rate of infection goes down slowly and deaths plateau. But the virus continues for 5-10 years with only hope of a virus to sort it out. Death rate in the tens of millions
Those aren't the options.

Revan

Assumptionman
Saw this....

Let's run some numbers:

Time required to get through Covid patients without kicking out normal ICU patients: 4700 weeks, or 90 years.

Let's not even talk about how coronaviruses typically don't result in long-term immunity.
Clearly. UK's strategy is survival of the fittest.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is my worry. Flu is awful, you can barely function. Is Covid-19 like that? These details tend to be missing as they've focused on numbers and worst case scenarios rather than explaining what most people will feel like...
No. 4 out of 5 people will have manageable symptoms. It won’t progress to something that the lungs and CNS can’t handle.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Saw this....

Let's run some numbers:

I was just doing some basic maths by looking at age demographics and the current death percentages.

There are 3,281,955 people aged 80+ in the UK. If you go by the 70% infected rate, that means 2,297,369 will be infected. With a 14.8% death rate you get a figure of 340,011 dead. That's just the 80+ age group, even if you half the mortality rate you still get 170,005 dead. This is avoiding the scenario where the sheer scale of people requiring hospital treatment results in higher fatalities.

I stopped doing the maths once I reached my Mums age demographic because it felt a bit terrifying frankly. I didn't even bother checking Italys current age to death ratio, I used the current UK one but given the nations strategy is to say "feck it" then we should be looking at worst case scenario figures right now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Saw this....

Let's run some numbers:

Herd immunity is far harder to achieve with a virus than a bacteria as viruses hide within cells. When it does work at least to some degree it puts evolutionary pressure on the virus often resulting in a rapid evolution of novel new strains that we are far less immune to.

This is a shit plan.

If you want herd immunity develop a vaccine.

redshaw

France 3661 79 deaths

Spain 5232 133 deaths.

Seems a bit exaggerated to me, considering the numbers we got so far.

Currently ~5000 dead worldwide, including ~3000 from China. Shutdowns and limitation of social interactions should limit the spread pretty well. Realistically speaking we are looking at 10k - 20k deaths max in Europe. (UK not included because uncontrolled spread might dwarf the numbers massively.)

At least that's what I hope for.

Edit: Maybe I just don't want to envision anything worse. :(
Can you tell us what Germany is doing to contain it? Not read of anything significant, both doing localized school closures, both eventually called the football off having just played with full crowds, Leipzig Spurs for example.. With Merkel saying 70% of German could be infected, that would be a lot of deaths as well and she's advised not to close the borders. Maybe you could include Germany in your uncontrolled spread jibe?

Edit: Just reading most schools closing now?

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It’s really irritating me that the approach to control this thing is seemingly being, at the very least, influenced by politics.
No doubt Trump is looking for a way to profit from this for the elections.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Seems a bit exaggerated to me, considering the numbers we got so far.

Currently ~5000 dead worldwide, including ~3000 from China. Shutdowns and limitation of social interactions should limit the spread pretty well. Realistically speaking we are looking at 10k - 20k deaths max in Europe. (UK not included because uncontrolled spread might dwarf the numbers massively.)
How do people still not understand the concept of exponential growth?

TheReligion

Abusive
Why are some people here trying to make this a competition with the UK as to who is dealing with things the best and then having a dig all the time. Petty wankers.

Virgil

The irony of the Brexit Government being of the only ones in Europe refusing to close up shop.
More fake news.....then again I suppose Germany is in La La land for you to exclude it from countries that have refused to shut up shop. And if you care to research a wee bit more you will find other countries also deciding not to shut up shop at this stage.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Some of the handling of this virus has been nothing short of horrendous. Inept. When we look back on this, we will see that this could have been contained if we took this thing seriously from the get go and worked together.

Paxi

There's no condoms at Fabregas' house.

Meanwhile the scouse are blaming woke millenial snowflakes for this too
What? That doesn't even make fecking sense! What an idiot. :lol::houllier:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why are some people here trying to make this a competition with the UK as to who is dealing with things the best and then having a dig all the time. Petty wankers.
I don't know. People do it all the the time and in this case I don't really get it, we should help each others, make sure that the most vulnerable are safe and we can have a nasty competition when the Euros finally come around. Hopefully England miserably fail and lose all its games.

Irwin99

I'm not hearing much about countries like Russia or India which are obviously massively populated. How are they holding up?

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't know. People do it all the the time and in this case I don't really get it, we should help each others, make sure that the most vulnerable are safe and we can have a nasty competition when the Euros finally come around. Hopefully England miserably fail and lose all its games.
I don't get it either. Especially when this is a Manchester United forum - an English football club.

You're spot on though. We should be trying to help each other and offer reassurance, support and advice.

C'est Moi Cantona

How do people still not understand the concept of exponential growth?
Because..

What is exponential growth?

To calculate exponential growth, use the formula y(t) = a__ekt, where a is the value at the start, k is the rate of growth or decay, t is time and y(t) is the population's value at time t.

:confused:

Paxi

I'm not hearing much about countries like Russia or India which are obviously massively populated. How are they holding up?
Russia hasn't been affected badly at all from what I hear from my relatives. Also, Russia is huge but otherwise the population is only 140 million or so. They've got quite strict rules in place if one doesn't isolate -- up to 5 years in prison -- and you can bet your bottom dollar those sentences will be handed down. Also, I absolutely hear nothing from VK (russian social media platform akin to Facebook) which to my knowledge isn't as censored as some would have you believe. I see plenty of articles criticising the central government and lots of comments so I don't expect this to be censored either. So I think thankfully Russia are coping well at the minute. I've no idea about India though.

As they say: in Russia, you infect the coronavirus.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't get it either. Especially when this is a Manchester United forum - an English football club.

You're spot on though. We should be trying to help each other and offer reassurance, support and advice.
What 'United is an English club' has anything to do with 'UK government fecking things up by doing nothing'?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
More fake news.....then again I suppose Germany is in La La land for you to exclude it from countries that have refused to shut up shop. And if you care to research a wee bit more you will find other countries also deciding not to shut up shop at this stage.
If you read the massive one sentence post properly I didn’t say we’re the only country not to take this step.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Russia hasn't been affected badly at all from what I hear from my relatives. Also, Russia is huge but otherwise the population is only 140 million or so. They've got quite strict rules in place if one doesn't isolate -- up to 5 years in prison -- and you can bet your bottom dollar those sentences will be handed down.
:eek:

I think the best thing they did was close the borders and take things seriously as early as Jan, when the news about the virus first came to surface.