SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Russia hasn't been affected badly at all from what I hear from my relatives. Also, Russia is huge but otherwise the population is only 140 million or so. They've got quite strict rules in place if one doesn't isolate -- up to 5 years in prison -- and you can bet your bottom dollar those sentences will be handed down. Also, I absolutely hear nothing from VK (russian social media platform akin to Facebook) which to my knowledge isn't as censored as some would have you believe. I see plenty of articles criticising the central government and lots of comments so I don't expect this to be censored either. So I think thankfully Russia are coping well at the minute. I've no idea about India though.

As they say: in Russia, you infect the coronavirus.
Hahh, you believe that really? My lord you’re naive.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I really hope some of the Chinese customs change after this is all done. fecking eating anything and everything. That video of some man feasting on live baby mice was absolutely fecking disgusting.

Revan

Assumptionman
:eek:

I think the best thing they did was close the borders and take things seriously as early as Jan, when the news about the virus first came to surface.
It is sad, but it seems that dictatorial or semi-dictatorial countries (assuming they are developed to some stage) are the most prepared countries for a pandemic.

Balljy

The Whole Foods company is only giving its staff unpaid leave. To be fair, it must be struggling for money since they're owned by... *checks notes* ... Jeff Bezos.
That's obviously not great but there's also a lot people losing jobs because of what's happening. Not defending, but it's a pretty rubbish situation for both companies and workers.

Irwin99

Russia hasn't been affected badly at all from what I hear from my relatives. Also, Russia is huge but otherwise the population is only 140 million or so. They've got quite strict rules in place if one doesn't isolate -- up to 5 years in prison -- and you can bet your bottom dollar those sentences will be handed down. Also, I absolutely hear nothing from VK (russian social media platform akin to Facebook) which to my knowledge isn't as censored as some would have you believe. I see plenty of articles criticising the central government and lots of comments so I don't expect this to be censored either. So I think thankfully Russia are coping well at the minute. I've no idea about India though.

As they say: in Russia, you infect the coronavirus.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Revan

Assumptionman
Could be. The locked borders very easily, have the lowest density population in Europe, and don't have the most socializable people (unlike Italy). Add to that some good policies a month earlier than other countries.

India is more interesting for me though (considering the lack of hygiene there). I wonder if it is the climate who is helping them to not spread the virus, or just a matter of under-reporting. If it is the first, then that is great news for the rest of the world.

Revan

Assumptionman
Best at bullshitting yeah.
Not really. WHU seems to agree with China numbers (as do other international experts). In case of China, no one has expressed doubts that they are lying. Also, from second-hand information (my colleague is Russian and his parents are in Yakutsk) and he is saying that it looks that the numbers might be real (he is quite anti-Putin so no reason for him to lie at this case).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
U-Turn incoming it seems.

Questions to answer if so when we were told only yesterday this wouldn’t have an effect and was not the right time.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I don't think this has much bearing on it. We are 25 to 30 degrees daily and it has started here this week.
Also in paracas which is around 300 miles from lima. It is a dry desert climate so hot all year round. First cases reported there this week too.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I really hope some of the Chinese customs change after this is all done. fecking eating anything and everything. That video of some man feasting on live baby mice was absolutely fecking disgusting.
Err....what!?

Revan

Assumptionman
Who knows? You'll have to answer that yourself. Strange question though.
People are criticizing as much US' for not doing anything. It has nothing to do with (what you are hinting 'disliking the country') with most people who are criticizing it being from UK.

Wolverine

I was just doing some basic maths by looking at age demographics and the current death percentages.

There are 3,281,955 people aged 80+ in the UK. If you go by the 70% infected rate, that means 2,297,369 will be infected. With a 14.8% death rate you get a figure of 340,011 dead. That's just the 80+ age group, even if you half the mortality rate you still get 170,005 dead. This is avoiding the scenario where the sheer scale of people requiring hospital treatment results in higher fatalities.

I stopped doing the maths once I reached my Mums age demographic because it felt a bit terrifying frankly. I didn't even bother checking Italys current age to death ratio, I used the current UK one but given the nations strategy is to say "feck it" then we should be looking at worst case scenario figures right now.
I think one of the proposed benefits of flattening the curve would be not to "overwhelm" the resources from the NHS and in theory have more ITU resources and ventilators available (sickest patients get sick recover before in a constant but slow-enough conveyer belt of sick people coming in)
I do wonder how much of aforementioned mortality rate is attributed to resources being overwhelmed and lack of supply of critical resources in other countries to those most unwell. There is also different things in play in how we deal with sick people, infrastructure and logistical differences.

I think there is a strategy in play. Its essentially we'll let most people get it, but slowly to ensure the sickest get seen to and gradually up-titrate the next phases (e.g. social isolation tactics) to maximise ability to ensure the peak is flatter and never reaches above a level where services can't cope.

I don't fully agree with it. I think we can do more for what its worth. Like cancelling outpatient appts etc. I think we'll found it later what happens.

What I think they are underestimating in their behavioural sciences that all of this what we are going through is already contributing to coronavirus fatigue so non-adherence and non-compliance may happen later on any way the more we delay this out.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think this has much bearing on it. We are 25 to 30 degrees daily and it has started here this week.
Also in paracas which is around 300 miles from lima. It is a dry desert climate so hot all year round. First cases reported there this week too.
It is a slight hope. In India, the climate is wet and hot (correct me if I am wrong), so I've read that the combination might be bad suited for this type of virus, but who knows.

In any case, it doesn't need to totally kill the viruses, but if it makes them less active and so slows down the number of infection, it would be great news for the world. At least until September or so, but hopefully we will be better prepared until then.

Paxi

Believe what exactly? I've plenty of relatives in russia who I'm in touch with daily, not to mention having plenty of friends who I trust. Not a single one of them so much as mentioned coronavirus to me in weeks now. Also, I follow, few large news communities on VK platform who consistently criticise Putin, the corruption, the neglect of healthcare et al you name it -- they would absolutely post anything about the coronavirus, since they did daily in early February. I think you could find one my posts on here which I paraphrased about Russian doctors refusing to tend to a suspected case. The doctor locked the door in his office and spoke to the patient and told him to go home. That wasn't censored and it was big news in Bashkortostan, which is where I'm originally from. So why am I being naive?

My post about on 26th of Feb: I was actually worried that Russia would be a shitshow, alas, thus far they've dealt with this well, most probably, because of them closing boarders early, implementing some draconian measures and our sparsly populated country.

I think this pandemic is going to be something unprecedented as most health care systems won't be able to cope. I was in Russia earlier this month, a person with symptoms showed up to a hospital and doctors and nurses wouldn't go near him. They literally all ran away from him and when he did get talking to a doctor, the doctor locked himself in his office and spoke through the door. I mean some countries like UK will be under prepared because they don't have the mobilisation of man power and infrastructure and other are going to just sweep it under the carpet and hope it goes away like Iran, Russia etc.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Could be. The locked borders very easily, have the lowest density population in Europe, and don't have the most socializable people (unlike Italy). Add to that some good policies a month earlier than other countries.

India is more interesting for me though (considering the lack of hygiene there). I wonder if it is the climate who is helping them to not spread the virus, or just a matter of under-reporting. If it is the first, then that is great news for the rest of the world.
It's that. Though I don't think it's them fudging the numbers up, I just don't think they can test enough people, quick enough in the densely populated cities and those who live out in the villages would never even know.

Remember, it's slightly different for China because there cases were localised in Wuhan and they isolated the province just in time before it could really make its way around the rest of the country. Or else, they'd have the same issue. India have at least 3 major entry points (Delhi, Bangalore & Mumbai) who will have infection carriers jetting in from across Europe especially.

Irwin99

Remember, Russia are always forthcoming and open about their facts and statistics.

The Swedish experts tonight had no qualms about calling out Russia and Turkey’s either total bollocks or completely inadequate testing.
Well the lack of news (at least from my perspective) on some other major countries suggests that either the virus hasn't been fully realised in those places and that they're behind the likes of Italy or the containment has been well managed so far (like in South Korea, Singapore etc.) .Aside from Russia and Turkey, I haven't seen much reporting about India, parts of Africa, Australia etc.

Believe what exactly? I've plenty of relatives in russia who I'm in touch with daily, not to mention having plenty of friends who I trust. Not a single one of them so much as mentioned coronavirus to me in weeks now. Also, I follow, few large news communities on VK platform who consistently criticise Putin, the corruption, the neglect of healthcare et al you name it -- they would absolutely post anything about the coronavirus, since they did daily in early February. I think you could find one my posts on here which I paraphrased about Russian doctors refusing to a suspected case. The doctor locked the door in his office and spoke to the patient and told him to go home. That wasn't censored and it was big news in Bashkortostan, which is where I'm originally from. So why am I being naive?
The Swedish experts point to almost certainly inadequate testing in Russia, India and Turkey.

No way have these 3 countries dealt with it that well, not on your life.

mu4c_20le

Also, I follow, few large news communities on VK platform who consistently criticise Putin, the corruption, the neglect of healthcare et al you name it -- they would absolutely post anything about the coronavirus, since they did daily in early February.
Hmm... makes you wonder if they've been warned. Although, I do think it's a bit of a stretch to be able to hide an outbreak with social media the way it is now.

Balljy

Japan is down to 15th now. They were 4th 2 weeks ago.
Hope that continues. It feels like that's what we are aiming for is similar to you with a surge (which will be far greater than yours) but a levelling out which then results in the overall infection rate being less than the other EU countries. Everybody including scientists seem to have very different views on how the best way to play this out is.

Paxi

The Swedish experts point to almost certainly inadequate testing in Russia, India and Turkey.

No way have these 3 countries dealt with it that well, not on your life.
Yeah because Swedish experts have boots on the ground in Russia for instance like, my friends and family who are absolutely more worried about the state of infrastructure, and depreciation of the ruble. Yeah, I think I'll go with me actually taking their word on this, since you know -- they're my family and they absolutely have no fecking reason to lie to me. :houllier:

massi83

Local or travellers? Also it is said that hot and humid makes it better. Hard to find other reason for Vietnam's numbers for example.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I did not realize that Switzerland already had a thousand cases, when you combine it with the amount of infected people in the north east of France, plus Germany and northern Italy, they are in the middle of the hotspot.

TheReligion

Abusive
People are criticizing as much US' for not doing anything. It has nothing to do with (what you are hinting 'disliking the country') with most people who are criticizing it being from UK.
Why you asking me that silly question then?

There's clearly people here with a dislike for the UK. Obviously others have noticed it too so not just me.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Last time I checked Turkey has five official confirmed cases. Having Turkish friends with family back home they’ve confirmed this is complete bullshit. Same with people I know in India, it’s much worse than ‘official reports’.

Skills

Snitch
Why you asking me that silly question then?

There's clearly people here with a dislike for the UK govt. Obviously others have noticed it too so not just me.
Fixed and that is correct. The british decision makers currently in power are in many ways as despicable as the Republicans across the pond. So yes, they are quite heavily disliked by people inside and outside of the country.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Then there was that one arm kid who ate a live frog.

Would've loved to see someone chop his other fecking arm off.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fixed and that is correct. The british decision makers currently in power are in many ways as despicable as the Republicans across the pond. So yes, they are quite heavily disliked by people inside and outside of the country.
That may be the case but speaking as a UK citizen I'm letting you know you're offending me with the constant jibes and doom mongering about the UK and the virus so stop it.