SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fener1907

I think Ibuprofen essentially stops the immune system doing its job because it quietens all of the defences down, meaning you're more likely to get fecked by the virus if you take it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
WHO: 'test, test, test'
The head of the World Health Organizaion, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has implored governments to test more suspected cases, warning that they cannot fight the pandemic blindfolded.
In a strongly-worded attack on governments which have neglected or held back testing, he said: “We have not seen an urgent enough escalation in testing, isolation and contact tracing, which is the backbone of the response.”
Tedros added:
The most effective way to prevent infections and save lives is breaking the chains of transmission. And to do that, you must test and isolate. You cannot fight the fire blindfolded. And we cannot stop this pandemic, if we don’t know who is infected. We have a simple message for all countries Test, test, test. Test every suspected case.

arnie_ni

So mason mount who was meant to be self isolating decided to go to a football centre in north london. Chelsea had to tell him to get back inside.

DavidDeSchmikes

Went to my local Co-Op today, no toilet paper, nearly all the bread gone. :houllier: People are morons, selfish sheep mentality

justboy68

The head of the World Health Organizaion, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has implored governments to test more suspected cases, warning that they cannot fight the pandemic blindfolded.
In a strongly-worded attack on governments which have neglected or held back testing, he said: “We have not seen an urgent enough escalation in testing, isolation and contact tracing, which is the backbone of the response.”
Tedros added:

The most effective way to prevent infections and save lives is breaking the chains of transmission. And to do that, you must test and isolate. You cannot fight the fire blindfolded. And we cannot stop this pandemic, if we don’t know who is infected. We have a simple message for all countries Test, test, test. Test every suspected case.
I fear that ship sailed away long ago at this point in the UK and many other countires . They wouldn't know where to begin at this point.

I'm miffed at the WHO. If they had kicked up more of a fuss earlier then maybe countries would have better prepared for it. I think there will be a lot of questions asked afterwards about whether they really took the right approach in delaying the pandemic horn for so long.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
First death in Portugal. 14 days after first diagnosed case, this shit is almost like a clock.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Just 1 confirmed death in the UK today so far. Have to admit I was expecting that to be much higher after the weekend's figures.

Given that Italy's first case was literally the day before the first here in the UK......why haven't we seen the same spread and impact thus far?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
There's a guy from the US I've been playing online games with who has developed an awful, awful cough. Me and a few others suggested he go to the doctor to get it checked out. Last night he comes back and says that the doc told him it isn't bronchitis or influenza and he's unsure of what it could be. My mate then asked if he could have a covid-19 test and he was told that they weren't doing them on the basis that if he came back positive then they would have no idea what to do with him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just 1 confirmed death in the UK today so far. Have to admit I was expecting that to be much higher after the weekend's figures.

Given that Italy's first case was literally the day before the first here in the UK......why haven't we seen the same spread and impact thus far?
Different demographic.

Vitro

My lab has just started to try to develop a vaccine to Covid based on a previously successful method used against influenza and C. difficile. It’s a long shot, and we haven’t yet got any funding for it but considering it’s an established methodology, it shouldn’t take long until we can test its efficacy in animal models.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
There's a guy from the US I've been playing online games with who has developed an awful, awful cough. Me and a few others suggested he go to the doctor to get it checked out. Last night he comes back and says that the doc told him it isn't bronchitis or influenza and he's unsure of what it could be. My mate then asked if he could have a covid-19 test and he was told that they weren't doing them on the basis that if he came back positive then they would have no idea what to do with him.
Good approach this. The old sweep it under the carpet approach.

P.s. hope your mate is okay.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

I just don’t think they’ve announced today yet have they?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Because we're not testing people.

Can't confirm cases if you ignore them.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

Sorry shouldn't have laughed but it just blurted out. Good luck muricans.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
By the way there was loads of toilet roll at The Range the other day. If anyone is desperate it might be worth checking your local one. I'm guessing people don't expect it to be there so it's not sold out. Be sound and only buy a couple.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Different demographic.
I thought it was more down to their outbreak being more centralised in hot spot areas (i.e. north). Thankfully ours seems to be fairly widespread so we haven't got any particular NHS trust under severe stress as of yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

Smores

No they haven't , but yes various state bodies, as well as private organisations (e.g. Premier League) are 'jumping the gun' on the advice coming from Government and taking things into their own hands, anticipating what will come next etc. The downside will come when they find that the Government won't/may not recompense them, precisely because they jumped the gun and took things into their own hands, hence what follows/results is all at their own cost/risk.

Lots of other companies/organisation are waiting for 'starters orders' from HM Government, even though they may perceive there is a imminent risk. The health v economic risks are only just emerging and being quantified in many areas and some who went early may find they lose out on both counts!

The Government has emphasized all along that it is following the models drawn up by both medical and economic experts. When companies, organisations and even groups of ordinary individuals act outside these models, they risk not only affecting the outcome of the models but also of sowing confusion in the populace in general and the 'Dads Army' Corporal Jones syndrome appears... don't panic...don't panic... ensues. There is a danger of the Government having to move to a Martial Law/Riot Act scenario in the most extreme cases.
Yet all these institution's have a duty of care to their staff and students, if they can't make sufficient adjustments to safeguard them then they of course have to shut. There's more to consider than just government advice there's actual health and safety laws.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Isn’t that just the 1 person in Wales? Don’t think England has released their figures yet.

mu4c_20le

Smart, learning from the chinese on how to keep numbers down.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Apparently one of the ages of someone who died was 52, but it hasn’t been announced or something.