SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

That is interesting - thanks. What is the source for this?
The Italian health minister.

Trying to calm the public and also making some digs at how little some European countries have supported Italy, mostly France.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Seriously just close all borders at this point, ground flights. Public transport & planes are just huge spreaders with their air conditioning and close proximity to other people
This. A fecking thousand times this. It's honestly as if they've not been bothered at any point in this to properly shut this down.

I've genuinely lost massive amounts of faith in the Governments of the World from this whole thing... and that's just thus far.

This for me, is surely the point of Governments having as much power over us as they do? Is this not exactly the type of situation where 'leaders' in the modern age would need to step in decisively and quickly and protect their public?

If not... I mean, what's the fecking point of them? Do you they basically just exist now to steal taxes and meddle in foreign policy ventures that no-one even wants?

So how did it originate? Umbrella Corp?
Pretty out there, but who knows really...

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Phil

I was away when this went nuts, have we in the UK still not even banned flights in from China?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Got a bit more serious now as GP has advised hospital swab her for the virus - they have to go there tomorrow to get checked as her daughter has a temperature and sore throat. Bit worried now. We are an NHS mental health office so generally shutting up simply is not an option as we have over 600 patients relying on us.
We have to balance our concern with the fact that many of us get a sore throat and/or cough sometime during the winter months, and think nothing of it. As a doc once said to me, the most common things are the most common.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Is it really feasible to hide 80,000 deaths?
Yes but let me preface this. I don't have to make a decision either way and most people don't use the scientific model. We know China have lied but the degree is how much? Though any lie IS still a lie regardless. Question: What were they doing and why would you lie? They've changed the definition of this thing so many times at this point. So people should respect themselves, be smart and ask China for the truth. Not say what we think but the truth. We don't have to think anything. What we have to do is counter it and protect ourselves in the process.

When you talk about China. You have to look at how it's been setup. If they don't respect their people, why would anyone think they respect anyone else? Is it possible? You have all the variables for it to be possible. Ultimately, governments at the core enjoy power even if it's an illusion and over a dumbed down population. It can be less. It can be more. Another aspect is what is birthed from all of this ...and will freedoms be once again, 'taken away' - from the people? If Scientists created this will they face any consequences? Maybe but it's a law unto itself as it's without God. It's its own God. So is it feasible? How much of the media that you see, are you or the people - actually in control of? You are just here - like the rest of us to watch the show. The only choice people have is what channel (if any).

In my opinion, it's possible but it's also possible, they're doing some kind of social engineering. The pro vaccination people love this no? Also it may be a lie or it may just be a mistake...It's up to people to think about this and make a determination for themselves. You would have to understand the mentality of the people there. The people but also those who are meant to represent the people. It's a different mentalitie/s - even from our own . Their experiences are so much different to others. Who knows what they're told. Who knows how it's being told to them? We don't know. How can we relate to people with ...such freedoms?...Anything is possible but even a simple question deserves thought behind it and no one can do that for you.

Last edited:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

All over the fecking place. In all seriousness this current US administration seems so completely inept to deal with a serious crisis of any kind. The blatant lies and misinformation is bad enough, but the sheer ignorance and lack of understanding is fecking frightening. The mixed messages being sent to the public is insane. One guy from the Department of Homeland Security was just on CNN just said the virus was contained. Batshit. Completely batshit.

Worse still...

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Seriously just close all borders at this point, ground flights. Public transport & planes are just huge spreaders with their air conditioning and close proximity to other people

what's your plan for when the airlines go broke and the resulting financial crisis?

Yes but let me preface this. I don't have to make a decision either way and most people don't use the scientific model. We know China have lied but the degree is how much? Though any lie IS still a lie regardless. Question: What were they doing and why would you lie? They've changed the definition of this thing so many times at this point. So people should respect themselves, be smart and ask China for the truth. Not say what we think but the truth. We don't have to think anything. What we have to do is counter it and protect ourselves in the process.

When you talk about China. You have to look at how it's been setup. If they don't respect their people, why would anyone think they respect anyone else? Is it possible? You have all the variables for it to be possible. Ultimately, governments at the core enjoy power even if it's an illusion and over a dumbed down population. It can be less. It can be more. Another aspect is what is birthed from all of this ...and will freedoms be once again, 'taken away' - from the people? If Scientists created this will they face any consequences? Maybe but it's a law unto itself as it's without God. It's its own God. So is it feasible? How much of the media that you see, are you or the people - actually in control of? You are just here - like the rest of us to watch the show. The only choice people have is what channel (if any).

In my opinion, it's possible but it's also possible, they're doing some kind of social engineering. The pro vaccination people love this no? Also it may be a lie or it may just be a mistake...It's up to people to think about this and make a determination for themselves. You would have to understand the mentality of the people there. The people but also those who are meant to represent the people. It's a different mentalitie/s - even from our own . Their experiences are so much different to others. Who knows what they're told. Who knows how it's being told to them? We don't know. How can we relate to people with ...such freedoms?...Anything is possible but even a simple question deserves thought behind it and no one can do that for you.
Considering some of us are living right in the middle of this now, can we keep this conspiracy nonsense to another thread?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One person in Croatia also caught the virus.

Also 40 Italians coming to my city tomorrow for a visit to one of their factories. Why on earth are they allowed to travel? I am sure it's not death or life situation that they simply had to visit the factory when they are so rarely coming here anyway(I know few people working there). I think they are just doing sight seeing and yet they are allowed to travel, incredible stuff.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Also 40 Italians coming to my city tomorrow for a visit to one of their factories. Why on earth are they allowed to travel? I am sure it's not death or life situation that they simply had to visit the factory when they are so rarely coming here anyway(I know few people working there). I think they are just doing sight seeing and yet they are allowed to travel, incredible stuff.
I'd start cooking pineapple pizza and ketchup spaghetti, that'll scare them right off

Bosws87

theres 60 million people in Italy less then 500 people with a virus even being pessimistic and you were incredibly unlucky to meet 1 of these people out of 60 million you have over 95% chance of being a little ill and recovering.

theres people crying about this thing want the world to shut up shop but will happily buy there 20 cigarettes a day with a clear warning they are killing themselves. The whole thing is crazy.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

It depends where in Italy they're from, surely?

Just tell them not to come? I'm not allowed in a bunch of client offices in London this week, and my wife had a trip to the Middle East next week cancelled.

theres 60 million people in Italy less then 500 people with a virus even being pessimistic and you were incredibly unlucky to meet 1 of these people out of 60 million you have over 95% chance of being a little ill and recovering.
That's not really the point. What happens if one of them brings it over and the whole factory has to close down for weeks? That's why businesses are worried.

Bosws87

Just tell them not to come? I'm not allowed in a bunch of client offices in London this week, and my wife had a trip to the Middle East next week cancelled.

That's not really the point. What happens if one of them brings it over and the whole factory has to close down for weeks? That's why businesses are worried.
well you also can’t stop flights everywhere in the world then as they are businesses too so what you gonna do?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

theres people crying about this thing want the world to shut up shop but will happily buy there 20 cigarettes a day with a clear warning they are killing themselves. The whole thing is crazy.
Why take chance for something that can easily be delayed?

It depends where in Italy they're from, surely?
They are pretty close to the infected area, I think. Definitely the north part.

They are pretty big investors here and I doubt anyone would have the guts to do it.

You are not allowed in London? How so?

Revan

Assumptionman
Just received an email from HR asking if I am planning to go to Italy in the next 4 months.

I guess Italy is going to get quarantined soon.

predator

Youth NITK
Correct me if I'm wrong but if this certain strain has learned to become symptonless then it will no doubt cause a pandemic. Every living thing adapts to survive and finds ways to improve its chances of surviving.

If covid-19 has developed to understand that its host is only going to fight back when it has a headache or a fever, and therefore has become symtomless, then fair enough.

It's so interesting. No one has a hold on it.

does this look like a reaction to a flu outbreak?
I have no idea what they're doing in Wuhan but I'm pretty sure its not mosquito fogging or a water cannon salute of an airline that doesnt even fly to China.

Simbo

Hydrogen Peroxide spraying. On the virology podcast I've been listening to they think its a waste of time, just for show.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I have no idea what they're doing in Wuhan but I'm pretty sure its not mosquito fogging or a water cannon salute of an airline that doesnt even fly to China.
Looking it up I think it might've flown to Macau a couple of times - certainly not Wuhan though. In other news from the same source:

I'm loving the music. I reckon it's mostly a PR exercise to demonstrate how seriously they're taking it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It is a very real possibility that EPL games could be called off. Just imagine if the season does get abandoned!

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It is a very real possibility that EPL games could be called off. Just imagine if the season does get abandoned!
Wow. Can't see it, but imagine that happens and being a Liverpool fan.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yeah, so there's a germ / bio warfare research centre in Wuhan... there's a track record of China having atrocious management of this stuff...

There's the Chinese government having long track record of dishonesty and lack of any kind of transparency...

There's respected scientists and scholars now flat out saying that this virus has mutated more than is natural and is man-made.

And some of the features of this virus are highly unusual for viruses of it's type and read as though they've been designed - can catch it twice (!), incubation period ridiculously long - as though designed to make containment impossible, far more contagious than other airborne viruses.

To be honest, I think this is man-made. It just reeks of it to me. I don't buy that this sprouted out of a 'wet-market'.

If so, I really, dearly hope that whoever responsible - whether a government, a company or whatever - is absolutely dragged over the coals for it.

If it emerges that the Chinese government are directly responsible for this, it should lead to Global sanctions upon them.

And I mean, even you buy the 'wet-market, unhygienic conditions' story... the Chinese government is technically still directly responsible.