SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Steerpike

Yeah, but is it in a very affluent and like-minded area?
Affluent, I'd have to say yes (albeit a constituency which returned a Labour MP .... oh the shame!).

Like-minded - well the people who were there certainly were.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought it was a great speech. Ironically this could turn him into a leader like he’s never been.
Imagine being a new government chucked headfirst into this
Yep, I don't sense much appetite for new faces taking over right now, even from those who hate Fine Gael (which includes me to a certain extent). Feck walking straight into this nightmare.

nooshka

For 2 weeks until after you've caught it and recovered.

I know you want to risk it sooner than then, but it's not worth it. You'll have a lifetime together to look forward to after it's all over.
Do I actively try and catch it in that time then? I have also looked into the dangers but can’t really see what I need to read, is she at an extended risk of getting seriously ill? Is the unborn baby?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For months? Maybe I've the wrong information then.

27/12/2019 - doctor shares observations of unknown pneumonia with Wuhan Jianghan CDC.
31/12/2019 - public notice is released and Who is informed.

There were 4 days in between Who being informed and the doctor's observations.

And 3 weeks later they imposed quarantine.

(Yes, in between those dates they pulled some totalitarian propaganda and the doctors got in trouble for saying the outbreak is like SARS).
China did not isolate itself, they let flights come and go for a while. Or do we ignore that?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Jesus...he's basically holding back tears here. Wow!

I would understand if he talks like that without mentioning China.

But praising China and Ji in this context like that, he seems bought/corrupt to me. But what do i know, just my first impression.

China taking advantage of the crisis to undermine the EU, Russia heavily involved in Brexit and Trump election, America eager to bring the UK under its influence. It seems there's an effort from world superpowers to divide the EU, its basically a fourth superpower and the easiest one to break apart. Russia and China will probably turn their attention to the US after.
This. Also Erdogan helping.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I would understand if he talks like that without mentioning China.

But praising China and Ji in this context like that, he seems bought/corrupt to me. But what do i know, just my first impression.
Wouldn't be surprised if China is playing some next-level geopolitics behind the scenes. We'll help you with corona and you'll help us with other things.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Tried to avoid the news all day but tuned into Varadkar and made myself more miserable. Talking to my parents afterwards just infuriated me. I was telling them me and my two brothers will start doing the shopping etc for them. It was like talking to a fecking wall. "We're not old, we'll go mad stuck inside the house." They're both 60, smoked all their lives up until 2-3 years ago and he has a heart condition. It's just stubborn fecking idiocy.

As for the speech, maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me but it's hard not to think this is way more serious than initially thought with the way Varadkar spoke tonight.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So this comes from China, and now people look to them to be the saviours despite all the cover ups and shambolic nature of how they dealt with it at first. China saves the world from this, whilst Europe and America tear themselves apart.

It's like an actual Bond film :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So this comes from China, and now people look to them to be the saviours despite all the cover ups and shambolic nature of how they dealt with it at first. China saves the world from this, whilst Europe and America tear themselves apart.

It's like an actual Bond film :lol:
While the actual Bond film got postponed :(

Steerpike

The risk of getting corona Virus or spreading it to anyone else bit selfish don’t you think?
If you're talking about the risk of getting the virus myself - well that's up to me. I'm free to accept or avoid risk as I choose. If I could sign a form to opt out of NHS help should I get covid-19, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

If you're talking about the risk of transmitting it to someone else, I'd say all of the other people in the pub had accepted that risk. They were there because they'd decided that their desire for social intraction was greater than their concern over the virus. They were, so to speak, consenting adults. Of course, we were as careful as we wanted to be (no kissing, touching elbows etc...).

Dante

Average bang
Do I actively try and catch it in that time then? I have also looked into the dangers but can’t really see what I need to read, is she at an extended risk of getting seriously ill? Is the unborn baby?
On the first point, no. It's not worth the risk.

As for the rest of it: that's the kind of advice you should be getting from the NHS. Here's the current advice from the RCOG for your other half:
https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelin...nancy/covid-19-virus-infection-and-pregnancy/

The government do list pregnant women in a relatively high risk category with respect to their isolation policy. They're not saying you have to stay away from her. But I it's made clear that she's more vulnerable than most:

* if one member of your family or household has a new continuous cough or high temperature
** if you live alone and you have a new continuous cough or high temperature
*** for example cinema, theatre, pubs, bars, restaurants, clubs
**** for example via telephone or internet
1 such as anyone instructed to get a flu jab each year

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

But most importantly, I think you should primarily take the advice of your missus' GP.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Jesus...he's basically holding back tears here. Wow!

Vucic is kind of right, Europe cannot help. Europe is also right, they cannot help, cause they cannot help, they have no ability to help in this type of scenario.

And with very developed countries being in an awful situation, I don't even want to imagine how bad can this be in Serbia and the other Eastern European countries which have a much worse medical system than Italy and co.

China is emerging as the main superpower in this type of crisis. They already control most of the drugs in the world, and have the ability to make more, and increase their production of medical devices. Such an irony that a virus originating there it might easily help them economically and politically.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
@Rhyme Animal Earlier, I stated the youngest victim sadly passed at 45 - he was diagnosed with ALS.
Ah man, R.I.P and exactly the type of person who should've been protected from this.

Thanks for the replies. How long for though? She’d also be taking my 1 year old son
How often can you visit? And how absolutely confident are you in the ability of the others in the house to be utterly ruthless with the hygiene in there.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, but is it in a very affluent and like-minded area?
Props to Starkie tbf, the guy has provided us with the material for a joke with a decent shelf life. Hopefully we will remember him when next years Redcafe awards arrive.

arthurka

My neighbor now has this and as a had a meeting last week with some people including him me and my family are now under house quarantine. For 14 days. Feck Disney+ for yanking that Frozen II shit out so soon, already watched it 3 times.. It's going to be a long fecking two weeks.

Josep Dowling

If the tracker i'm looking at is accurate, they only have 2 out of over 8000 cases that are deemed serious. The rest are mild condition and expected to recover. Spain is a little higher with about 500 in critical but still nowhere near as Italy's which is 4 times more.
Do anyone know why Germany has such a low rate? They were certainly a lot calmer over there than here.

Deery

Dreary
If you're talking about the risk of getting the virus myself - well that's up to me. I'm free to accept or avoid risk as I choose. If I could sign a form to opt out of NHS help should I get covid-19, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

If you're talking about the risk of transmitting it to someone else, I'd say all of the other people in the pub had accepted that risk. They were there because they'd decided that their desire for social intraction was greater than their concern over the virus. They were, so to speak, consenting adults. Of course, we were as careful as we wanted to be (no kissing, touching elbows etc...).
Even though the government advises otherwise, I have no words really for your ignorance.
But that’s the society we live in always compensating for others blatant self regard for the rules.
Hope you enjoyed your pint..

diarm

Surprised so many thought that was a good speech from Leo.

It was all clichés and soundbites but nothing of substance. "Not all heroes wear capes" might get him a few laughs on twitter but it does nothing for those of us with businesses and staff we don't know what to tell.

This half in, half out lockdown is bollocks. They're letting the swell of public opinion and our own sense of morality do their job rather than make anything official that they might end up paying for. When we were paying for the banks they were fine to raise our rates and taxes, and they thought nothing of raising VAT earlier this year, but now we're staring down the barrel of the gun it's radio silence. The bars and clubs have clarity at least but the rest of us in the industry have nothing.

Rhyme Animal

China is emerging as the main superpower in this type of crisis. They already control most of the drugs in the world, and have the ability to make more, and increase their production of medical devices. Such an irony that a virus originating there it might easily help them economically and politically.
It's this kind of thing that can (understandably, in my opinion) breed conspiracy theories...

If China ends up seriously benefiting from this - after it came out of an area where they have a germ warfare lab / bio lab etc - @golden_blunder knows more about this than me - then you can hardly blame people for being suspicious.

Added to that they covered it up initially which essentially caused it's spread.

clarkydaz

its like the planet has had enough of the worst of humanity, bringing it all to the surface for us to see and cleansing itself

Steerpike

Even though the government advises otherwise, I have no words really for your ignorance.
But that’s the society we live in always compensating for others blatant self regard for the rules.
Hope you enjoyed your pint..
My ignorance? I'm probably as well informed as most.

.. and yes, I very much enjoyed every one of my pints.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

You’re not concerned with the impact your decision may ultimately make on already strained health services? Or the possibility you may subsequently end up transmitting the virus to somebody who wasn’t there?

mu4c_20le

Do anyone know why Germany has such a low rate? They were certainly a lot calmer over there than here.
I think someone said some countries have different guidelines for labeling a patient as critical, I just read an article that said Germany has about 500 hospitalized (did not mention ICU). They also just decided to close the borders today.

Rhyme Animal

For months? Maybe I've the wrong information then.

27/12/2019 - doctor shares observations of unknown pneumonia with Wuhan Jianghan CDC.
31/12/2019 - public notice is released and Who is informed.

There were 4 days in between Who being informed and the doctor's observations.

And 3 weeks later they imposed quarantine.

(Yes, in between those dates they pulled some totalitarian propaganda and the doctors got in trouble for saying the outbreak is like SARS).
Didn't the main whisteblower Doctor who was warning the World of the danger of this virus suddenly die...?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The reason the death rate is low and you have a lot of cases is you have done 135k testing in the last two weeks plus more in total. Spain has done 30k in total a few days ago, France 6.6k tested on 5th of March and probably 20-25k before the lockdown recently. To get these high test figures Germany will have tested many with mild symptoms that in other countries are just told to self isolate. Had you done about 30k in total, you might be 1500 cases. The huge amount of testing points to a currently good situation and the high cases and deaths rates in Spain from just 30k, a very bad one.
Where did you get these numbers from?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The more I think about it the more I realise China did this. We march tomorrow.

Revan

Assumptionman
You’re not concerned with the impact your decision may ultimately make on already strained health services? Or the possibility you may subsequently end up transmitting the virus to somebody who wasn’t there?
This.

It is like someone who is visually impaired still driving. Sure, it might all be right, and no one will get harmed, it is also not malicious, but you can kill someone doing so. People who are going out needlessly can literally kill other people, and it is all because of their selfishness.