SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You would have to think that they will seriously be considering a universal income even temporarily (which could lead to social change and permanency once we get through this). This is going to utterly change the country hopefully in a positive way. We have all woken up to what is really important and what isn't.

Smores

Something I cannot get past with him is that “school boy being told off“ half grin that he struggles to contain when he’s discussing the most serious subjects.
When you've spent years purposefully putting on such an act I'm sure it's hard to shift to a more serious tone.

0le

You would have to think that they will seriously be considering a universal income even temporarily (which could lead to social change and permanency once we get through this).
Yup, it was mentioned in PM's today and wasn't dismissed, so we'll see.

Dante

Average bang
London lockdown, with only chemists and supermarkets left open, could be announced on Friday, according to the FT.
Danke schon

I've been working at home since Friday, so I've literally not left my flat for 5 days.

Anyway, the second I read your post I went out to withdraw some cash and do a final couple of supermarket runs, because it's only a matter of time before it's extended to here. I reckon I should be good for about 6 weeks or so.

Manchester City Centre is about 10% as busy as it normally would be. And the Aldi and Lidl off Piccadilly Gardens have been stripped almost bare.

It really does feel like the end times.

Classical Mechanic

That, and the fact the schools minister is on at the same time as johnson, suggests Westminster have been bounced into this by the other nations. That doesn't suggest a cohesive strategy.
I don't think that's true at all, Sturgeon has form for announcing cohesive policy before the PM to make it look like she's leading to the Scottish people, the other leaders are probably doing the same. If Sturgeon announces something around lunch time bet on that being the line from Westminster at 17.00hrs.

0le

Danke schon

I've been working at home since Friday, so I've literally not left my flat for 5 days.

Anyway, the second I read this I went out to withdraw some cash and do a final couple of supermarket runs. I reckon I should be good for about 6 weeks or so.

Manchester City Centre is about 10% as busy as it normally would be. And the Aldi and Lidl of Piccadilly Gardens have been stripped almost bare. It really does feel like the end times.
Banks are closing too so this is a good idea. I was out today (dentist appoint) and saw Nationwide closed, fast food places closed + queue for boots (presuambly to buy medicine).

hungrywing

That's not groundbreaking news. It's one of the drugs that's being used.

A variety of repurposed drugs and investigational drugshave been identified. Screening NMPA approved drug libraries and other chemical libraries have identified novel agents. Hundreds of clinical trials involving remdesivir, chloroquine, favipiravir, chloroquine, convalescent plasma, TCM and other interventions are planned or underway.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Avigan is favipiravir.

Edit: Its efficacy's already largely known. Afraid it's not like a huge breakthrough. :/

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Banks are closing too so this is a good idea. I was out today (dentist appoint) and saw Nationwide closed, fast food places closed + queue for boots (presuambly to buy medicine).
Oh, yeah, I agree.

I also withdrew some cash.

It was eerie. I normally feel safe during the daytime in the city centre because of all the crowds. But today, I felt really exposed carrying all that cash around.

Guy Incognito

Seen those army pictures. A friend says its happening and hes normally well informed. From what I've heard, London in lockdown soon.
Yep, did say a couple of days ago London is the big problem for the government. The civil service is effectively going to be run outside Whitehall and at home.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People keep saying Italy is looking more positive, but I can't see it unless you are seriously cherry picking the data: https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/
It's not positive but it depends how you want to look at it. The first towns in Lombardy have few knew cases so they ahead in the curve. Lombardy is hopefully at the peak but it's not definite, the last few days have seen an increase of 1500 new cases per day. The rest of Italy is further behind so their numbers should increase each day.

The number of deaths is a worrying trend though and hopefully it falls soon.

People keep saying Italy is looking more positive, but I can't see it unless you are seriously cherry picking the data: https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/
It's better than it was, that's all i will say.

Lombardy was the first area to get hit hard and has been averaging around 1500 new cases per day for over a week now. The exponential growth has stopped whereas it is still growing in other regions.

It all points to it taking a lot longer than a single incubation period for the trends to change. The governor of the Venetia region said today models predict the peak will not come until 15 April.

Revan

Assumptionman
Moderna Inc started the vaccine testing in humans this week. The first 8 people already got the first shot of the vaccine, with the second shot expected to happen in 28 days. On the initial stage of testing, there will be 45 people who will get the vaccine. The vaccine testing is happening in Seattle, in collaboration with Kaiser Permanente.

This is the first time that animal testing is skipped (though it will likely happen in parallel).

The forecast for the vaccine is still expected to be between 12 to 18 months, though it needs to be said that so far it is going faster than planned (only a couple of weeks ago, it was expected that the vaccine would take a few months to be developed, and the testing to start in the summer). From the moment the RNA sequence of the virus became available, it took Moderna 60 days to administer the first dose of the vaccine in a human (absolute record).

There are some other companies (located in Israel, Canada, Germany, US, China) who have already developed a candidate-vaccine or are close to doing so, which gives hope that even if Moderna's vaccine fails, there will be other vaccines coming soon.

Full article about the trial Moderna is doing: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/health/coronavirus-vaccine.html

TheReligion

Abusive
Children of key workers I assume means essential public services and civil servants ect? So the key workers and their children will become a melting pot for infections. Perfect.
So NHS staff, police, other emergency services and those involved in food supply. That's what he mentioned.

Key workers are already going to be at a higher risk of developing this anyway given the work they have to do.

I don't think it's a bad idea as it buys more time.

0le

So NHS staff, police, other emergency services and those involved in food supply. That's what he mentioned.

Key workers are already going to be at a higher risk of developing this anyway given the work they have to do.

I don't think it's a bad idea as it buys more time.
I presume this included dentists as well?

OleBoiii

See I don't find this reassusuring. Are there many people above 50 who haven't had any previous medical problems? 40 even?
I'm also curious about how they define "previous medical condition". I got pneumonia almost 9 years ago(I was working with kids and there was a small epidemic). I wasn't hospitalized, but if I had been then would that have counted?

arnie_ni

Did they say how they will compensate parents now schools are closed? Are they entitled to ssp even though they arent sick

0le

I don't know. Doubtful though. Most dental work is private now in the UK so I assume only essential work will be done.
As long as they remain open. I may need root canal and seeing an endo in a few weeks ..:/

redshaw

Anyone know how hospitals in Italy are doing? Nearly 500 deaths today, and an almost 10% fatality rate must mean there are some strains with the hospitals?
Some doctors have become infected and some in ICU. Makeshift wards where possible.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Danke schon

Anyway, the second I read your post I went out to withdraw some cash and do a final couple of supermarket runs, because it's only a matter of time before it's extended to here. I reckon I should be good for about 6 weeks or so.

Manchester City Centre is about 10% as busy as it normally would be. And the Aldi and Lidl off Piccadilly Gardens have been stripped almost bare.

It really does feel like the end times.
I didn't post the link as most don't have subscription, but it's leading the site.

Yeah the shelves near me in Brook Green/Hammersmith look apocalyptic in certain sections.

Holland Park was pleasantly quiet this arvo and looked beautiful though.