SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Flying high

3 million work in the NHS and care sector. Add to them all the other key workers, which now include food retail and delivery drivers.

SEN(special educational needs) covers around 15% of pupils.

Those 2 factors combined lead me to think that very few schools in England will actually be able to close.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Danke schon

I've been working at home since Friday, so I've literally not left my flat for 5 days.

Anyway, the second I read your post I went out to withdraw some cash and do a final couple of supermarket runs, because it's only a matter of time before it's extended to here. I reckon I should be good for about 6 weeks or so.

Manchester City Centre is about 10% as busy as it normally would be. And the Aldi and Lidl off Piccadilly Gardens have been stripped almost bare.

It really does feel like the end times.
Why did you do a supermarket run when supermarkets will still be open even in Italian style total lockdown?

I find all the supermarket panic buying completely unnecessary and really unhelpful to (e.g.) old people who really might need to stock up for a lengthy stay indoors. For everyone else, you’ll still be able to do your daily supermarket shop whatever happens.

marktan

My flatmate in Londons had a really bad fever for the last 10 days with a persistent but light cough. He called up 111 or whatever the number is was like 8 days ago for a test and they basically told him to get off the phone.

Now since yesterday I've had a pretty bad fever and a light persitant cough. And I've barely been outside. And I've no idea what the fecker is because it's basically impossible to get tested in the UK unless you need hospitalising or have been in contact with someone that's tested positive. We're both in our mid 20s too so a little bit worrying for us to have symptoms but I'm hoping it's just a regular flu or whatever.

When I was in London about 7 days ago for a meeting, I noticed from afar a couple of people were either lightly coughing or suppressing a cough. Personally I think it's pretty fecking irresponsible letting everyone go about their work willy nilly when the death rates and infection rates in Italy continue to go up.

Anyway 7 days away from everyone for me now.

Drawfull

3 million work in the NHS and care sector. Add to them all the other key workers, which now include food retail and delivery drivers.

Those 2 factors combined lead me to think that very few schools in England will actually be able to close.
Semantics. Most pupils will not be in school, this is actually a good way around the childcare issue.

0le

What about the strides in mental health?
On the subject of mental health and on a more serious point, a lot of people are already anxious and depressed and this will rise with the uncertainty over jobs. The NHS was already wholly inadaquete to deal with mental health before the crisis and I think one of the "lessons to be learned" from the pandemic will actually be the mental health aspect.

TheReligion

Abusive
Did they say how they will compensate parents now schools are closed? Are they entitled to ssp even though they arent sick
You are allowed dependants leave with pay. We also have special leave you can use.

If it's long term I'm not sure how sustainable that is but there are already provisions in place for this.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
One week from now UK will be having 100+ deaths a day and that imo is when people will finally realize how big this is going to be. I am amazed by the number of people still going out in the UK .

TheReligion

Abusive

Will be interesting to see what impact it has initially. If it doesn't work they'll have to think again but certainly worth a try at doing something differently I think.

arnie_ni

You are allowed dependants leave with pay. We also have special leave you can use.

If it's long term I'm not sure how sustainable that is but there are already provisions in place for this.
They dont have to pay you under dependents leave though. So did boris actually say you will get full pay? Or what, because i missed the announcement and cant see anything on it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On the subject of mental health and on a more serious point, a lot of people are already anxious and depressed and this will rise with the uncertainty over jobs. The NHS was already wholly inadaquete to deal with mental health before the crisis and I think one of the "lessons to be learned" from the pandemic will actually be the mental health aspect.
I think mental health will take a decline over the next few months, by which I mean people will be less sane than they were.

worldgonemad

Brother in law just drove past like 50 'tanks' (assuming he means personnel vehciles) heading london direction.

Could be an unrelated event and i got told by the wife so i take no responsibility for this statement :lol:
I just past several near Harrogate and mentioned it to my mate . His mate saw 15 or so on the A1 today . Makes sense to mobilise army for when police are depleted .

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Just landed back in Tampa from Colorado a few hours ago. 59 people on a 175 seat airliner was an interesting experience to say the least. Also was able to get on with preboarding in the second row and no one directly behind me. I like my chances of survival for this.

Utdstar01

One week from now UK will be having 100+ deaths a day and that imo is when people will finally realize how big this is going to be. I am amazed by the number of people still going out in the UK .
I fully expect parents to be out and about with their kids shopping now the schools are closed.

TheReligion

Abusive
They dont have to pay you under dependents leave though. So did boris actually say you will get full pay? Or what, because i missed the announcement and cant see anything on it.
Dependents leave is paid in my profession. I assumed it was everywhere? You can take unpaid leave but that's different.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think she's right - what else has affected every single citizen to this extent?
It is obviously right. You either get hundreds of thousands of dead people and a destroyed economy, or a destroyed economy at the end of it. I think it might easily be the biggest recession since the Great Depression. If we have to stay mostly at home for 18 months, the economy is gonna fall like a rock.

Pagh Wraith

Merkel: "Biggest challenge (for our country) since WW2."
Unfortunate wording :lol:

I'm not a big fan of her addresses to the nation. She always seems like she's reading from a fairy tale book. Very weird style of narration and intonation that makes her sound insincere even though I'm sure she isn't.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Why did you do a supermarket run when supermarkets will still be open even in Italian style total lockdown?

I find all the supermarket panic buying completely unnecessary and really unhelpful to (e.g.) old people who really might need to stock up for a lengthy stay indoors. For everyone else, you’ll still be able to do your daily supermarket shop whatever happens.
After speaking to a close friend in food supply chain logistics, I really wouldn't bank on that. Obviously, governments would have to just abandon lockdowns come what may if food supply was on the point of collapse.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Except for Tucker Carlson, the other Fox reporters have been absolutely horrible in reporting this pandemic. They're terrible always, but this time they have caused so much damage.
They're a bunch of sociopaths. The amount of cognitive dissonance that must be going through their heads in the name of tribal royalty to their party must be incredible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
After speaking to a close friend in food supply chain logistics, I really wouldn't bank on that. Obviously, governments would have to just abandon lockdowns come what may if food supply was on the point of collapse.
Lockdowns do not concern goods as far as I know.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The supply is there. We need people to stop being cnuts and we need to remove all restrictions on deliveries if these are even still in place. Hire more drivers if needed.

Dante

Average bang

It was for things that I eat every single day as a part of my diet, but that I knew were likely going to run out (like nuts, raisins, salt-your-own crisps, peanut butter, etc).

I've been avoiding panic buying of random shit precisely for the reasons you've spelled out. I didn't go near any of the stuff most people are hoarding (not that there's any left even if I wanted some pasta or rice).

I'm still hoping/expecting to go out every few days for skimmed milk, eggs, cottage cheese and bread.

Although I am still young and healthy, the issue I have is that I live alone and have no family still alive. If I were to become ill, I'd have to rely on myself for food and drink. if I were unable to physically get out of bed, I'd pretty much be fecked. And if I were too unwell to go out shopping, I'd be equally in trouble.

So I may not be vulnerable from an age point-of-view, but I am vulnerable from a support network point-of-view. Having a few packets of nuts, raisins or crisps by my bedside is about protecting myself rather than trying to get one over everybody else.

For what it's worth, I've also timed it so that I've been eating loads of takeaways the last couple of weeks. Now I'm going to start dieting for the next couple of weeks (eating minimal amounts of food). Then I'll go back to normal. Hopefully that'll be enough to get me through.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nigeria has 5 new cases in a week. All are travellers from Europe. The country is run by mugs.