SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

So true. There was a stream of famous people showing how to wash your hands last week!
I am indifferent - there are unfortunately a % of people who wouldn’t have survived if there was any form of natural selection.

If it takes one of the Kardashian brothers to make them wash their hands, then so be it. The end result is a net gain for society.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've lived in Japan for what would be called a long time now and I can tell you that recently many Japanese have decided to believe the govt here that wants the Olympics at all costs - even potentially the lives of citizens and residents. Japanese people are now getting into the mode of there's nothing to see, Japan is the outlier, look at how bad everywhere else is, etc. Over a 1,000 cases and 35 deaths - looks much better than elsewhere doesn't it?

I'll tell you why the stats are so low for a country with 125 million people - around 121 people per 1 million are being tested. If that. That's right, no testing no problem! Doctors who have been exposed to patients with COVID-19 have been refused tests to give you some idea of this disgraceful 'strategy.' Most people who have symptoms similar to the virus have been denied tests and told to stay at home. As somebody who lives here I can tell you I don't feel very safe with this official policy.

More food for thought - Japan regularly doesn't do autopsies. I bet you some deaths have only been listed as heart trouble etc as the virus is most hard on those with underlying conditions. This game of chance being played out has already had a disturbing trend - cases have jumped in the Kansai area which is not where Tokyo is. Osaka and Kobe are the cities in Kansai and cases are growing quickly there.

The Japanese for the most are incredibly nationalistic, even the young ones, and they are prematurely congratulating themselves on Japan being cleaner and more superior to everywhere else. Crowds are flocking together again, hand sanitizers have disappeared from some places and people are planning overseas travel. Thank God my country banned all non citizens or residents or we'd have many Japanese tourists coming and spreading the virus.

Expect to hear about a big movement upwards in numbers over the next month or so. Or expect as I do that the Japanese Government will do everything it can to conceal them by maintaining low levels of testing. Scumbags.
With their ageing population.. recipe for disaster

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Why do celebrities feel the need to speak up about matters way outside their fields of expertise? On here & elsewhere, as a non-famous person, I can afford to recklessly give my opinion on things; but if I was famous, there's no way I'd inflict my ignorant and naive views about serious matters onto the public.
I agree it's irritating. Unfortunately it's the kind of world we live in - moronic people require Kim Kardashian twerking with a face mask on to think 'Oh, maybe it is quite bad'.

ryansgirl

What is confusing you with regards to the relevance of Coronavirus?

We've had almost 2 months to prepare in the UK for instance since the first case. What have we done?
I'm not in any way a supporter of China or Chinese people bashing but the fact is around 5 million Chinese tourists left China this year in February for the Chinese New Year period and effectively took what was the Wuhan Virus then to the world. The Chinese Government knew in November of a new virus that had appeared in the Hubei region and then took off.

I was in Hong Kong in December for vacation and believe me if I had known about the virus, I wouldn't have gone near HK which is just over the border from Shenzen and that province is not near Hubei. Even if people want to make excuses for China, their surveillance of their population is incredibly heavy and structured. Yes they knew about the new virus in November, December at the latest if you want to make excuses for the government there, and it was very clear in January what a problem it was.

Of course if other countries had focused on building new economies to adjust to changing times and not relied so heavily on China then we wouldn't have had so many economic repercussions such as idle shipping and cutting of supply lines plus many businesses with strong Chinese connections going under at the moment. We also wouldn't have had the virus spreading through business contact such as in Singapore which has handled the emergency magnificently but is still getting too many cases. Italy also has had many business as well as tourist contacts with China.

My own country has a dangerous over-reliance on Chinese students at all levels - the international student 'industry' in western countries is a risky industry to rely on at the best of times.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Decided to venture outside for about the first time in a week for a quick walk around a country park and it is rammed!

The amount of old people I have seen pull in. Haven’t gotten out my car, straight back in and probably back home now, heaving here.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
What is confusing you with regards to the relevance of Coronavirus?

We've had almost 2 months to prepare in the UK for instance since the first case. What have we done?
The virus began in China. China had two months to acknowledge it and respond to it. Instead they covered it up and threw essential workers in jail. Had China had reacted quicker the world wouldn’t be in the situation that its in today.

What could the U.K. do? If as soon as news of a virus in China came out, one that China initially denied , we had banned flights from that country and barred their nationals from entering our country we would have appeared “xenophobic” or overreacting, if as soon as as it went pandemic in Italy we closed our borders again people would have said “overreaction”. Every other country can do it preemptively but when the U.K. does it it’s somehow racist.

China should have closed its borders from November onwards.

Don’t get it twisted...fecking up the world lies solely at the hands of the government of China. And I hope when this calms down that country is held to account for its irresponsible actions from November to January and made to pay.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Matt le Tissier coming across like a right knob. Stick to football you thick cnut.

redshaw

Its pretty clear now that that the government is lying when they keep saying there is no food shortages. I have some friends who work in the supermarket industry and i am hearing that the depots have ran out a lot of stock and that they are struggling badly to source more of that stock.

I suppose it was inevitable that these issues would occur when the supermarkets have done months worth of sales in a 2 week period.
Yes I think so. It's just come on the BBC again as a main headline there's plenty of stock, just that they can't keep the shelves stocked up fast enough but the huge Morrisons near me has been cleared last weekend, nothing all week and there's nothing to put on the shelves this Saturday morning as I asked them and don't know when next. The few staff there are just spreading around items that won't sell around the barren shelves.

At least in Aldi they're somewhat stacking shelves rapidly and clearly have some stuff on backup. Good job we have a German company in Aldi, some fruit and veg shops and corner shop still.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So...what's gonna happen to all the high-ranking officials who benefited from insider trading regarding the coronacrisis? These cnuts probably would like the crisis to get even worse so they can buy stocks even cheaper.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Decided to venture outside for about the first time in a week for a quick walk around a country park and it is rammed!

The amount of old people I have seen pull in. Haven’t gotten out my car, straight back in and probably back home now, heaving here.
That's why I decided to venture to our small local park in the morning instead. It's going to be mayhem trying to get people to stay apart from the warm weather kicks in.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Don’t have a clue what half of what you said has to do with the Coronavirus but anyhow.

My point is this. Regardless of British government this USA government that, the fact is if the Chinese government had acted in November the world would be relatively normal.
How the feck would they have acted in November to a problem that was only comprehended by mid-january? Think, think, think.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Its pretty clear now that that the government is lying when they keep saying there is no food shortages. I have some friends who work in the supermarket industry and i am hearing that the depots have ran out a lot of stock and that they are struggling badly to source more of that stock.

I suppose it was inevitable that these issues would occur when the supermarkets have done months worth of sales in a 2 week period.
I think they have grossly underestimated how much the population would need. Good job this hasn’t happened immediately after brexit is done otherwise people would be trying to get knickers off a bare arse

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Nearly everything here is wrong, the most objective mistake being the idea of them "knowing about it since November" (it's actually mid-January) which makes your rant a rather uninformed piece.

And it's a growing angle that will certainly be used by the likes of Trump to deflect blame. Think of the propaganda campaign you're unwillingly participating in and readress your position with reading, investigation and questions (many here are willing to answer, including me).
I heard about a virus in China in December and Dr’s being thrown in prison. If that’s when the western media heard about it, imagine how long it was probably going on for. The Chinese government acknowledged it January, does not mean they did not know about it sooner.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The Lancet medical journal also warned the UK about this in January and the government ignored it's findings and the information shared by the Chinese scientists. It doesn't have to be an either/or when it comes to blame. Clearly parts of the West did not respond to this threat well regardless of China's situation.
I agree. But short of banning Chinese nationals from entering the U.K. in January before any cases had even occurred here, what could have been done? And if that was done we all know the reaction that would have received.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The virus began in China. China had two months to acknowledge it and respond to it. Instead they covered it up and threw essential workers in jail. Had China had reacted quicker the world wouldn’t be in the situation that its in today.

What could the U.K. do? If as soon as news of a virus in China came out, one that China initially denied , we had banned flights from that country and barred their nationals from entering our country we would have appeared “xenophobic” or overreacting, if as soon as as it went pandemic in Italy we closed our borders again people would have said “overreaction”. Every other country can do it preemptively but when the U.K. does it it’s somehow racist.

China should have closed its borders from November onwards.

Don’t get it twisted...fecking up the world lies solely at the hands of the government of China. And I hope when this calms down that country is held to account for its irresponsible actions from November to January and made to pay.
Again, what confused you about my initial post?

There are lots of things the UK could have done. Even as far back as a couple of weeks ago when it started exploding in Italy, there were literally no checks in British airports for flights from Northern Italy.

Contrast this to a Chinese colleague of mine who recently returned to China from the UK:

-Every single passenger on the flight had their temperature checked
-Any passenger with a temperature was taken for quarantine
-Any passengers within a few rows also quarantined
-Asked multiple questions multiple times to ascertain your risk
-Bags sanitised multiple times throughout the journey through the airport
-People outside your apartment block checking temperature of people going in
-People outside supermarkets and shopping centres checking temperatures before being allowed in
-Hand sanitiser everywhere

Meanwhile, in our hospitals, we are currently struggling for wipes, alcohol gel and have had our PPE downgraded to surgical masks for patients who are confirmed positive.

Who on earth has said anything like this in bold?

It is not mutually exclusive to criticise China for the poor hygiene standards in wet markets, as well as their initial response (in fact, many Chinese people have done exactly this), while also thinking our responses in Europe and the USA, both governmental and societal, have been subpar. It is not an either/or.

marktan

How many people are being tested in the UK? Only a 100 new cases today? Was something like 2k tests yesterday? That's a bit of a joke frankly, it both underplays the severity of the situation to the general public and prevents the infected from knowing about it and elsewise not passing it onto others.

Even the US is doing like 10k+ tests a day now

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Did I imagine that we are on lockdown?

Just went to the park to walk the dog and the high street is jammed with people, coffee shops, fish and chip places, every shop open. Tons of people milling about, maybe one or two wearing masks.

we're not going to do this, are we?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
How the feck would they have acted in November to a problem that was only comprehended by mid-january? Think, think, think.
They spent , at least, 2 months denying it and putting doctors that spoke about it in prison. Then after publicly acknowledging it in January they still allowed people to travel abroad. Think think think

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Just went to the park to walk the dog and the high street is jammed with people, coffee shops, fish and chip places, every shop open. Tons of people milling about, maybe one or two wearing masks.

I looked out of the window today, saw no signs of social distancing at all.

ryansgirl

With their ageing population.. recipe for disaster
Could very well be although apparently young people have much more contact in Italy with the elderly which could explain the high rate of infections and deaths - younger, healthier people with no symptoms carrying the virus. Despite lip service to the elderly in Japan, there is a callousness about them in Tokyo at least if they are not your immediate family.

Seeing them stand up on the train while the young and men of all ages sit in the designated priority seats for the elderly as well as people with disabilities or injuries is normal although quite despicable in my opinion. Suicide rates of the elderly in Japan and Korea are quite high compared to other countries pointing to more social isolation. A lot more of them live by themselves than you'd think and that might actually prevent some transmissions of this virus.

Although Japan is crowded in the big cities it is more spread out as a country than Italy - it's an archipelago, made up of 4 islands. Okinawa is the 5th but quite far away and was colonised. It's not really Japan - it's Ryukyu culture and people. The high number of cases and deaths in Italy also are down to high contact with an Asian virus in my opinion. Older Europeans don't tend to spend much if any time in south-east and east Asia and I think living here as well as previously in another east Asian country has probably helped my immune system.

I wonder if the infected and dead in the north of Italy have more A blood types although given the Germanic tribal origins of people like those in Lombardy I would have thought not. The O blood type has no antigens in blood cells - these are molecules in the other blood types cells and viruses can use them. It doesn't mean people with O blood types won't get and die from the virus but apparently it's more resilient against it.

ryansgirl

If you believe that the Chinese Government did not know from their wing in Hubei Province in November, December at the latest that there was a rapidly spreading virus in Wuhan then you also believe in the tooth fairy. As it stands the Chinese Government for some time has had the most intense surveillance system of their citizens and residents ever witnessed in human history.

Giggs86

Not true. Dr. Li Wenliang, from Wuhan, tried to warn his colleagues about an outbreak similar to SARS in late December after having treated multiple patients with unexplained pneumonia who visited the wet market. Instead of acting, the authorities summoned and disciplined him for spreading rumors and making "false" comments on the internet. He died of the virus a month later.

Cloud7

So a cruise ship was docked, filled with primarily elderly people. 68 people from the ship were taken into quarantine for the last couple days. We finally got their tests back, and 40 of them are positive. From 9 to 49. Oh boy.

They’ve all been taken to one of the containment hospitals since they’re all in the primary at risk age group.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
So a cruise ship was docked, filled with primarily elderly people. 68 people from the ship were taken into quarantine for the last couple days. We finally got their tests back, and 40 of them are positive. From 9 to 49. Oh boy.

They’ve all been taken to one of the containment hospitals since they’re all in the primary at risk age group.

Where?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Why are the coffee shops open? Ridiculous to shut pubs and restaurants and leave coffee shops and tea shops open.They all serve some kind of food, so they should be closed. And chippies? :rolleyes:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Not true. Dr. Li Wenliang, from Wuhan, tried to warn his colleagues about an outbreak similar to SARS in late December after having treated multiple patients with unexplained pneumonia who visited the wet market. Instead of acting, the authorities summoned and disciplined him for spreading rumors and making "false" comments on the internet. He died of the virus a month later.
Funny thing, I told @Arruda that I heard about a virus in Wuhan in December and he replied
source? hint you won’t find one
but has since deleted his response... I really can’t stand people who are too stuck up to admit they are wrong

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
John Lewis to close all its stores on Monday. The British public is so thick. I've an uncle who went to a wedding today - stupidity at its finest.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
John Lewis to close all its stores on Monday. The British public is so thick. I've an uncle who went to a wedding today - stupidity at its finest.
I mean we all had our suspicions during the last few elections and whatnot but this has really hammered home that a large % of the population is thick/ignorant/arrogant. Christ

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How many people are being tested in the UK? Only a 100 new cases today? Was something like 2k tests yesterday? That's a bit of a joke frankly, it both underplays the severity of the situation to the general public and prevents the infected from knowing about it and elsewise not passing it onto others.

Even the US is doing like 10k+ tests a day now
We aren’t Announcing new cases in England till much later.

ryansgirl

Looks like a moron. Sounds like a moron. Chances are -- he is an absolute moron.
Meathead Matt doesn't grasp the fundamental issue here - although it's true we should pay more attention to flu, how to contain it and prevent so many unnecessary deaths.
COVID-19 is such a nasty virus as its infectiousness is much higher than that of different kinds of flu. Swine flu was fairly bad in Korea when I worked there and it didn't go for people's lungs necessitating the kinds of equipment many countries are in short supply of. It was also not as easy to catch.
When there was a SARS outbreak in Hong Kong I was there for vacation but couldn't leave when I had planned. It didn't spook me as it was only infectious when symptoms showed. This virus is different. For example in one confirmed case here in Japan a woman caught COVID-19 by sitting on a couch where an infected person had sat. She had not been in direct contact with him.
In Singapore a cluster has been traced to a business conference but some of the later infected had only shaken hands with those who unknowingly had the virus. There was little other contact.
COVID-19 lives on surfaces much longer although it's suspectible to being weakened and broken up through hand washing even with usual soap.

Reiver

Yep. Guy behind me in the queue for the pharmacy this morning was talking about continuing to go to the local pub as it is having lock ins.