SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
With these press conferences, you've got Boris Johnson and his colleagues standing less than 2 meters apart in a room full of journalists passing around the same microphone asking why people aren't listening and self isolating.
Yep.

redshaw

Drop in cases with another 6k tested but I'm sure it will pick up after Sunday's activity and general defiance.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just nipped to my local corner shop (about a 4 minute drive), got a 9 pack of bog roll and pack of spaghetti. Pretty well stocked. Cashier was wearing gloves.

Much better to go to these little shops as everyone seems to gravitate towards the hypermarkets.
This has been my method for 2 weeks now. Suckers going to their big named supermarkets hahahaha!!
AHAHAHA!!

So Italy could be peaking?
Very hopeful talk but:

From day 1 of lockdowns
~7 days for symptoms to show = 1 unconfirmed case
~7 days for symptoms to show of the other 2 or 3 people you live with who are also now infected = 3-4 unconfirmed cases
~7 days for symptoms to progress to hospitalisation in 50% of those cases and become confirmed coronavirus cases

We are two thirds of the way through that progression in Italy. I would like to hope that most of the people who are going to get this in Italy have already got it, even if they or the government don't know it yet.

vodrake

Maybe yesterday was the peak? Let's see what tomorrow says. We want 600-700 or lower and not a jump above 1,000 again.

Unfortunately we're nowhere near the peak I fear. It takes at least a couple of weeks for any measure taken to affect the statistics due to how the virus cultivates,and we've only just started taking some measure in the last few days.

Italy went into full lockdown weeks ago and are still being hit hard every day, we're still nowhere near introducing those kind of measures let alone seeing the benefirs

432JuanMata

The flu comparison still floating around is hilarious according to Worldometer there is 340,000 cases and 14,500 deaths which is 4,7% death rate(also most people haven’t recovered) the flu death rate is 0.02. If the amount of people get this that get the flu worldwide we will be down millions of people in the next year or so.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
One things for sure this whole situation has made me realise how much I hate the British public.

All those idiots that arent staying home and are treating this like a free government issued holiday travelling around further spreading the virus deserve everything they get. I cant believe there's so many selfish, thick idiots roaming around.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Peter Hitchens is a pseudo-intellectual who mastered looking intelligent by being well spoken and not saying ummmm
He wouldn’t have had half the career he’s had without his brother associating the Hitchens name with intellect.

432JuanMata

Ireland looks to have halted the exponential growth. 121 cases today.
We are taking a lot of good steps most businesses are closed the only things really open are supermarkets and pharmacies and we have lines on the ground for distance also pharmacies are max 3 people at a time so are small shops

Who said that? I'm stating facts not predictions. On average 600,000 people die every year in the UK. A lot of people that die of covid19 would be among the deaths this year without covid19. There would be an overlap, even Patrick Valance admitted this.
a hell of a lot would be the common sense guess. Coronavirus may not even be the reason why some of these people have died, just that they had the virus when they perished.

we have very little detail on who has died.

If you were to have an average day based on 600k deaths per year, that’s around 1,650 per day that would die without us having the presence of Coronavirus. I am in no way downplaying the severity of it - but it does help with some perspective

How much overlap?
I imagine we will have a good idea in a years time - it would be a guess right now.

ManchesterYoda

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ight-answer.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-bottom

I don't disagree. Especially with this part towards the end.

We are warned of supposedly devastating death rates. But at least one expert, John Ioannidis, is not so sure. He is Professor of Medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University in California. He says the data are utterly unreliable because so many cases are going unrecorded.

He warns: ‘This evidence fiasco creates tremendous uncertainty about the risk of dying from Covid-19. Reported case fatality rates, like the official 3.4 per cent rate from the World Health Organisation, cause horror and are meaningless.’ In only one place – aboard the cruise ship Diamond Princess – has an entire closed community been available for study. And the death rate there – just one per cent – is distorted because so many of those aboard were elderly. The real rate, adjusted for a wide age range, could be as low as 0.05 per cent and as high as one per cent.

As Prof Ioannidis says: ‘That huge range markedly affects how severe the pandemic is and what should be done. A population-wide case fatality rate of 0.05 per cent is lower than seasonal influenza. If that is the true rate, locking down the world with potentially tremendous social and financial consequences may be totally irrational. It’s like an elephant being attacked by a house cat. Frustrated and trying to avoid the cat, the elephant accidentally jumps off a cliff and dies.’

Epidemic disasters have been predicted many times before and have not been anything like as bad as feared.

The former editor of The Times, Sir Simon Jenkins, recently listed these unfulfilled scares: bird flu did not kill the predicted millions in 1997. In 1999 it was Mad Cow Disease and its human variant, vCJD, which was predicted to kill half a million. Fewer than 200 in fact died from it in the UK.

The first Sars outbreak of 2003 was reported as having ‘a 25 per cent chance of killing tens of millions’ and being ‘worse than Aids’. In 2006, another bout of bird flu was declared ‘the first pandemic of the 21st Century’.

There were similar warnings in 2009, that swine flu could kill 65,000. It did not. The Council of Europe described the hyping of the 2009 pandemic as ‘one of the great medical scandals of the century’. Well, we shall no doubt see.

But while I see very little evidence of a pandemic, and much more of a PanicDemic

This is a Professor of Medicine's opinion. I trust their opinion much more than I trust the opinions of politicians, people in the media and a public in panic mode.

United58

When you're doing out formulae to predict future numbers (I know there's no predictions here, but other posts had them with Excel sheets) how are you making the formulae for predictions, as a matter of interest? Lagrangian interpolation on the data points?

DOTA

One things for sure this whole situation has made me realise how much I hate the British public.

All those idiots that arent staying home and are treating this like a free government issued holiday travelling around further spreading the virus deserve everything they get. I cant believe there's so many selfish, thick idiots roaming around.
Nah. feck this. The government has been intentionally vague on their advice for the entirety.

It's not the people that are bad. It's the advice.

redshaw

I could understand NHS staff wondering who they're saving when they get crushed at a supermarket during an hour designated for them.

Dante

Average bang
The following are all very valid points to counter the idea that countries could have reasonably been expected to lock down in January or early February:

The former editor of The Times, Sir Simon Jenkins, recently listed these unfulfilled scares: bird flu did not kill the predicted millions in 1997. In 1999 it was Mad Cow Disease and its human variant, vCJD, which was predicted to kill half a million. Fewer than 200 in fact died from it in the UK.

The first Sars outbreak of 2003 was reported as having ‘a 25 per cent chance of killing tens of millions’ and being ‘worse than Aids’. In 2006, another bout of bird flu was declared ‘the first pandemic of the 21st Century’.

There were similar warnings in 2009, that swine flu could kill 65,000. It did not. The Council of Europe described the hyping of the 2009 pandemic as ‘one of the great medical scandals of the century’. Well, we shall no doubt see.

I think that C19 is quite obviously a bigger crisis than all those mentioned. But we can only tell that because we're in the midst of it. It could have just as easily fizzled out like the examples mentioned above.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ight-answer.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-bottom

This is a Professor of Medicine's opinion. I trust their opinion much more than I trust the opinions of politicians, people in the media and a public in panic mode.
it is good to have contracting opinions. We would all hope he’s more right than other projections.

however, you can be assured that the UK government is not basing its strategy on “political opinion” but based on the best scientific advice available at the time - it may turn out to be incorrect or somewhat incorrect, but this is not some sort of political ideology that the government is following.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Johnson, Trump & co can hardly complain about people disobeying instructions - both have risen to power on a wave of informality, of telling angry people to dismiss red tape-stuffiness and to ignore the views of 'The Man' (experts, 'elites', scientists etc etc). And now they want us to believe that they are Serious Politicians for Serious Times, who care about other people's welfare over their own interests? Ha.

DOTA

They'd be referring to the 'at risk' groups listed on their website.
Which, as me and others trying to work out if we're on it have said, is very vague.

Johnson, Trump & co can hardly complain about people disobeying instructions - both have risen to power on a wave of informality, of telling angry people to dismiss red tape-stuffiness and to ignore the views of 'The Man' (experts, 'elites', scientists etc etc). And now they want us to believe that they are Serious Politicians for Serious Times, who care about other people's welfare over their own interests? Ha.
So are you following the advice or doing something else?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The internet disinformation campaigns they launched during the elections has deluged the flow of news forever and it especially shows its ugliness in emergencies like these.

Pagh Wraith

The flu comparison still floating around is hilarious according to Worldometer there is 340,000 cases and 14,500 deaths which is 4,7% death rate(also most people haven’t recovered) the flu death rate is 0.02. If the amount of people get this that get the flu worldwide we will be down millions of people in the next year or so.
Not disagreeing that flu comparisons aren't particularly helpful but we have no idea about the true death rate of Covid-19. It totally depends on many people were tested (and in what condition the test subjects were in). The actual number of infected people is way higher than what is reported ("confirmed cases"). That's why we have wildly different death rates from almost 10% (Italy) to 0.3% (Germany).

Foxbatt

Brings a tear to my eye.
I just saw in a Singapore newspaper that the Cuban produced Interferon Alpha 2B has been successful in treating covid 19. This was produced by Cuban Doctor Luis Herrera in 1986. It said that so far it has cured more than 1500 in China and they have taken this to Italy with them to treat the most vulnerable.
Many Latin American and Caribbean countries have asked for this medicine. It says there are more Cuban doctors working abroad on the covid than any other foreign country. A country that has its its life destroyed by the Americans are going out risking their lives to help other countries.
I am making a difference between Obama and Trump as Obama did ease sanctions against Cuba while Trump brought it back and now he has Iranian lives on his head for the sanctions he put so that they can't buy even medicine or supplies for covid.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's no good Boris getting all Vitai Lampada about the advice, because unless the government says "you can't", people will think "we can if we want".

Recommending, advising and requesting gets you nowhere if a significant number of people are acting in their own interests, and not for the greater good.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

He is worrying about the certainty of the data we have at a point of the pandemic when certain data is impossible. Which is fine, nothing wrong with questioning uncertain data.

The correct response to acknowledging the uncertainty of the data isn't to assume the best case outcome though, it's to prepare for the reasonable worst case outcome. Especially at a point when we can already see the health services of other countries being overwhelmed in real time. Speculating about the hypothetical range of case fatality rates doesn't change the reality of what is actually happening in hospitals right now.

If you place so much faith in one particular Professor of Medicine, perhaps take note of what the overwhelming majority of his peers across the world are saying, some in direct response to this contrarian take. Hint: it's rather less optimistic.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
While I do agree that the flu comparisons should stop if we're being realistic there's going to be hundreds and thousands of people who have got this and don't know.

So really the death rate is a bit misleading.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
So are you following the advice or doing something else?
I'm obliged to make semi-educated guesses as to my conduct during the crisis, rather than rely on the half-arsed advice/'suggestions' of a Prime Minister whose career(s) to date consist of untrustworthiness and winging-it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Which, as me and others trying to work out if we're on it have said, is very vague.
You can call your GP if you're unsure. The likelihood is you'll know if you should be on it though, and will receive a letter by the 29th.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
When you're doing out formulae to predict future numbers (I know there's no predictions here, but other posts had them with Excel sheets) how are you making the formulae for predictions, as a matter of interest? Lagrangian interpolation on the data points?
I haven't predicted anything, must be another person

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So had 'the chat' with my boss and I'll be furloughed as of tomorrow. Massive relief. I can now properly isolate with my wife and two children for the next few months. My wife is a teacher working from home and still being paid in full so we should be OK!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
So had 'the chat' with my boss and I'll be furloughed as of tomorrow. Massive relief. I can now properly isolate with my wife and two children for the next few months. My wife is a teacher working from home and still being paid in full so we should be OK!
I'm pleased for you, I hope you all stay safe together.

DOTA

I'm obliged to make semi-educated guess as to my conduct during the crisis, rather than rely on the half-arsed advice of a Prime Minister whose career(s) to date consist of untrustworthiness and winging-it.
This.

The government spent a good while telling us to just crack on with it, when many of us knew this was absolutely insane, so individuals and businesses rightly ignored them. We are in no doubt that their advice is not to be trusted. We are left having to guess for ourselves.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Nah. feck this. The government has been intentionally vague on their advice for the entirety.

It's not the people that are bad. It's the advice.

It's not bad advice, they've admittedly been very slow in giving it out but thats where common sense should come in, theres people going to the seaside for family day out as I said some people are treating it like an extended bank holiday, Mums, dads, kids, grandparents.

I just cant believe the sheer stupidity of some people.