SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You can call your GP if you're unsure. The likelihood is you'll know if you should be on it though, and will receive a letter by the 29th.
I am unsure. Should I call my GP? Cause that feels like a thing that could be avoided at a time when they are desperately struggling. I really don't know. Waiting for days sounds very stressful.

Suedesi

Italy is introducing stricter measures from tomorrow.

I've said already social distancing is a waste of time. Italy started with that a month ago, it didnt work. We have been in almost complete lockdown for 2 weeks and it's made no difference. Total enforced quarantine seems to be the only way to stop it. A lot of countries are going to learn this the hard way.
Did that come to pass, or did they postpone it for next week?

Nogbadthebad

It's not bad advice, they've admittedly been very slow in giving it out but thats where common sense should come in, theres people going to the seaside for family day out as I said some people are treating it like an extended bank holiday, Mums, dads, kids, grandparents.

I just cant believe the sheer stupidity of some people.
This morning, live on Sky TV, the housing minister told people it was a good idea to take their kids to the park.

So they did.

Most people aren't watching this develop, they here that one soundbite in a day, and its go tot he park.

This is just bad leadership.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm obliged to make semi-educated guesses as to my conduct during the crisis, rather than rely on the half-arsed advice/'suggestions'of a Prime Minister whose career(s) to date consist of untrustworthiness and winging-it.
If I had to list the five people I hated the most in the world Boris would be there so I'm in no way saying this from a position of fandom.

But he seems to be the only leader around so far that's actually factoring mental health into this and thinking beyond the next few weeks, luckily I'm in a much much better place to deal with a lockdown if it comes now but the me of 2011 wouldn't have been able to cope with effectively being under house arrest and I'd go as far as saying it would have been 50/50 if I actually survived it. However they are people who will be me circa 2011 so to speak and I'm genuinely terrified for them.

I don't know which extreme group annoys me more, the ones who are carrying on as normal and probably leading us to a complete lockdown with their selfishness or the ones who think basically a prison routine is a good idea, it will only serve to eventually turn a coronovirus pandemic into a mental health pandemic. If most people were compromising with a middle ground this would be so much easier all round.

redshaw

There were similar warnings in 2009, that swine flu could kill 65,000. It did not. The Council of Europe described the hyping of the 2009 pandemic as ‘one of the great medical scandals of the century’. Well, we shall no doubt see.
I assume this is for Europe and quickly looking we're at ~8000 deaths already. Would seem Italy will keep adding and other countries will reach Italy's numbers in the coming weeks so I reckon we'll hit around 65k for Europe at the low end. I don't buy into millions dead but this is serious and also many could have breathing problems with lung fibrosis and damaged lungs for life and I've read of young people recovering and then having heart failure.

Hopefully the longer we delay the antiviral meds can be found and help. Right now for example an Italian hospital had 170 odd covid19 patients and 170 odd died on a ventilator from chronic pneumonia Only one came through who was young.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This morning, live on Sky TV, the housing minister told people it was a good idea to take their kids to the park.

So they did.

Most people aren't watching this develop, they here that one soundbite in a day, and its go tot he park.

It's virtually policy with this lot: their history of leaking information, rather than actually making public statements, shows their deliberate evasion of responsibility & fear of unpopularity. They were making it up as they went along well before this crisis.

Pagh Wraith

First death in the Czech Republic (from 1120 confirmed cases so far). A 95-year old man died in Prague today.

F-Red

So they did.

Absolutely, very poorly briefed ministers coming out with their own interpretation of the guidance. An absolute clusterfeck of messages for people to follow.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I am unsure. Should I call my GP? Cause that feels like a thing that could be avoided at a time when they are desperately struggling. I really don't know. Waiting for days sounds very stressful.
Yes you should. If you have not been identified as extremely vulnerable and believe you should, then your GP has the ability to add you onto it if they believe it is correct to do so. I don’t know what health conditions you have and I don’t expect you to tell me, but I would imagine you have a pretty good idea whether you fall into this category or not.

A rough and ready chart i've been keeping tabs of showing case progression and trends from the day each country broke 200 cases. The UK is still some way behind the worst hit countries.

Did that come to pass, or did they postpone it for next week?
No, they tightened the rules from today.

We even had an Guardia di Finanza helicopter circling the town today to spot people outdoors and generally make their presence known.

bpet15

While I do agree that the flu comparisons should stop if we're being realistic there's going to be hundreds and thousands of people who have got this and don't know.

So really the death rate is a bit misleading.
I agree and think the mortality rate is much closer to the published flu mortality rate. However, we also have to wonder how many cases of the flu go undocumented and in turn makes the mortality rate higher than published.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In a lockdown situation for UK can anyone confirm how Corner shops and newsagents are treated? Locked down only for supermarkets or stay open?

DVG7

I know its hard, but the people who you perceive to be acting idiotic need to be treated differently somehow, because it wont get through. It never does when you want something to change but go about it by insulting someone.

"You're an idiot for voting trump" = trump president
"Youre an idiot wanting brexit" = leave wins
" Youre an idiot for not respecting social distancing" = ???

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In a lockdown situation for UK can anyone confirm how Corner shops and newsagents are treated? Locked down only for supermarkets or stay open?
Nobody will be able to confirm that, the Government have said nothing about it.

I would guess that if the shop sells food, it'll be able to stay open.

DOTA

Yes you should. If you have not been identified as extremely vulnerable and believe you should, then your GP has the ability to add you onto it if they believe it is correct to do so. I don’t know what health conditions you have and I don’t expect you to tell me, but I would imagine you have a pretty good idea whether you fall into this category or not.
I think I shouldn't fall in to it if it was perfectly designed but that the wide net that the government is casting here, given they lack the time to get down in to the minutiae, may well catch me nonetheless, as I have a type of blood cancer that is rare at the best of times and extremely rare at my age, and also not very dangerous at my age.

But I ain't a haematologist with a good understanding of epidemiology.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I know its hard, but the people who you perceive to be acting idiotic need to be treated differently somehow, because it wont get through. It never does when you want something to change but go about it by insulting someone.

"you might die" =??

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

The "???" at the end will be lots more people dying. They're idiots.

0le

We don't know because no information about lockdowns have been presented to the public.

In Italy at least:

Corner shops stay open if they sell groceries.
Newsagents are open but can only sell newspapers and tobacco.

I agree and think the mortality rate is much closer to the published flu mortality rate. However, we also have to wonder how many cases of the flu go undocumented and in turn makes the mortality rate higher than published.
The published flu mortality rate takes into account undocumented cases.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Well, newsagents are still open in Italy, and if the corner shop isn't primarily selling food (not just sweets), that would be closed here, too.

DOTA

My understanding is small shops selling essential goods have remained open in other countries facing severe lock down measures.

macheda14

I feel the death rate should also factor in how many people are dying because they can no longer receive proper care. When you read something like 700 new deaths in Italy today, it’s really 700 plus however many haven't been afforded the attention they would usually receive. They say the death rate will most likely be 1%, in reality it will be far greater.

ManchesterYoda

it is good to have contracting opinions. We would all hope he’s more right than other projections.

however, you can be assured that the UK government is not basing its strategy on “political opinion” but based on the best scientific advice available at the time - it may turn out to be incorrect or somewhat incorrect, but this is not some sort of political ideology that the government is following.
I watched Event 201 A Global Pandemic Exercise a couple of days ago. It took place last October and they used Coronavirus as their "killer virus pandemic" example. The projections in that were 65 million dead worldwide.

You are told by the government and the media that there is a pandemic and you should panic. You don't know whether this is true, you can only trust that it is. You must trust the government and the media. When it comes to "shutting Britain down" I don't think it's wise to just blindly accept it without asking questions.

There is an "alternative" theory out there as to why the world is shutting down. Most are completely unaware of it, of those that are aware of it, some believe it wholeheartedly and others think it's complete nonsense. Personally, I don't believe it, because I am very pessimistic and believe it is more deception. I VERY MUCH WISH I am wrong!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think I shouldn't fall in to it if it was perfectly designed but that the wide net that the government is casting here, given they lack the time to get down in to the minutiae, may well catch me nonetheless, as I have a type of blood cancer that is rare at the best of times and extremely rare at my age, and also not very dangerous at my age.

But I ain't a haematologist with a good understanding of epidemiology.
Then if you are currently being treated for it you would fall into this category. But, if you are still unsure, and you aren't a haematologist with a good understanding of epidemiology, calling your GP for clarification would be good, as was advised at the time of its release and on the government website.

Are we expecting an exhaustive list here?

0le

Feels like we are taking part in a sequel to the Truman show.

DOTA

Then if you are currently being treated for it you would fall into this category. But, if you are still unsure, and you aren't a haematologist with a good understanding of epidemiology, calling your GP for clarification would be good, as was advised at the time of its release and on the government website.

I'm not saying I'm expecting an exhaustive list. I did, in fairness, make it clear there that I understood that in the timeframe available such things weren't possible!

I am here asking for advice more than anything, cause it's very hard to judge these things when it's yourself. I do appreciate yours.

F-Red

Doesn't really mean a lot this data, most consumers in China's have more than one mobile airtime subscription, you've also got the fact that if you're home bound then you don't need anything else other than WiFi. To try to correlate this to a death count doesn't take the full picture into account.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nobody will be able to confirm that, the Government have said nothing about it.

I would guess that if the shop sells food, it'll be able to stay open.
We don't know because no information about lockdowns have been presented to the public.
In Italy at least:

Corner shops stay open if they sell groceries.
Newsagents are open but can only sell newspapers and tobacco.
Well, newsagents are still open in Italy, and if the corner shop isn't primarily selling food (not just sweets), that would be closed here, too.
Thanks - was after an inclination, shouldn't have used the word "confirm". Sucks because my father manages a wholesale company for cornershops/newsagents and is in his 60s. He refuses to stop working and it looks like the warehouse will stay open regardless of a lockdown :(

They might not know. A family member enquired with their GP about increased risk from atrial fibrillation and was told there is none, despite it being present in a quarter of Italian fatalities.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Doesn't really mean a lot this data, most consumers in China's have more than one mobile airtime subscription, you've also got the fact that if you're home bound then you don't need anything else other than WiFi. To try to correlate this to a death count doesn't take the full picture into account.
They're suggesting over 8 million people died?!