SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

LARulz

[/QUOTE]
How is this possible?
It's not. Boris specifically said not to travel to other's homes.
Other than common sense, what is stopping you going to someone's home if they invite you? The police isn't outside each home clocking who lives there and doesn't. They don't have the right (at least right now) to go into people's homes and make sure

Of course he says that but you can't stop people living in a block of flats going into each others flats if they want for example

Heardy

Other than common sense, what is stopping you going to someone's home if they invite you? The police isn't outside each home clocking who lives there and doesn't. They don't have the right (at least right now) to go into people's homes and make sure
Of course it’s possible to do it and not get caught. The point is people are being explicitly told not to.

LARulz

Of course it’s possible to do it and not get caught. The point is people are being explicitly told not to.
I agree and that is, at least for now it seems, all he can do. But he said nothing new in that speech that wasn't said already (except the 2 people limit). I don't get why people are acting as if it's a lockdown different to before.

It was meant to be only key workers and key business' working. You were meant to limit going out once, you were meant to only buy essentials and you were meant to not mingle with others.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
it’s kinda remarkable/weird that Japan has come through relatively unscathed so far. It has an ageing population too, close proximity to China. It’s strange.
Japan have tested approximately 16,000 people. That's why they've come through unscathed.

I assume due to some misguided attempt to keep the Olympics this summer.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I thought Boris was fine tonight. Can you imagine the pressure he's under right now? He had Brexit to deal with, and now this. Nearly all the government and scientists etc have done really well so far imo.
Agreed. I've never voted for the Tories, never will. I hate what they have done to this country and what they're still doing. I thought the measures came a bit late. But...

What was wrong with his speech yesterday? Nothing for me. I also think, whatever criticisms I have of the policies, he is clearly being guided by his scientific and medical staff as to what to do. They are all under immense pressure and stress currently. Making the decisions to shut down entire sectors, tell everyone they have to stay home...is not easy.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
i really hope there are some systemic changes that create some kind of positive legacy from this whole horrible situation. But I can’t help but be a bit pessimistic about it. People we’re idiots prior to this, during this and I’m sure they will still be after. If it brings the end of populism that would be a start.
I'm with you on this. People are going to revert to type.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't get why people are acting as if it's a lockdown different to before.
Because the police now have the power to fine people and disperse gatherings of more than 2 people. Also the shutting down of all shops except food and medical. The order for the closing of places of worship and libraries. There's a lot different.

Ady87

The most important question on everyone's mind right now is obviously; will my new fridge freezer arrive on Saturday to replace the one that broke yesterday?
Mine arrived yesterday, big Samsung American one. It doesn’t work and the profile has blocked me and the other people that have tried to contact them. I’ve now got no fridge freezer. Good job our baby is still on formula.

Hope you bought new and don’t get scammed like me!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Agreed. I've never voted for the Tories, never will. I hate what they have done to this country and what they're still doing. I thought the measures came a bit late. But...

What was wrong with his speech yesterday? Nothing for me. I also think, whatever criticisms I have of the policies, he is clearly being guided by his scientific and medical staff as to what to do. They are all under immense pressure and stress currently. Making the decisions to shut down entire sectors, tell everyone they have to stay home...is not easy.
Agree with all of this, it’s too late but at least they have ditched this ‘herd immunity’ nonsense, and this is from someone who hates Johnson.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

How much should traffic on the underground have reduced?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Agree with all of this, it’s too late but at least they have ditched this ‘herd immunity’ nonsense, and this is from someone who hates Johnson.
Because they realised the herd immunity nonsense was going to destroy them and their party.

If there was no backlash from experts/criticism, they would've happily continued with their plan.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

A lack of testing kits has also hindered Ireland's attempts to scale up to maximum test capacity.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
www.japantimes.co.jp has articles along those lines. So does www.japantoday.com

I was happy to see that you and at least another poster on here are doctors. Good to have some expertise on the caf.

What do you think of the A blood type being more vulnerable theory?
Another poster pointed out with good humour that the telegraph had something about it but I hadn`t read it.
A study from China indicated that the most severe cases tended to be in those with A blood type. I`m O positive and was told some years
ago by a doctor that the lack of antigens in blood cells of this type could be better protection against some diseases/viruses.

I might just be an outlier but I haven`t had any kind of flu since I was a teenager and no vaccinations, could possibly be down to that?
Thank you very much, very helpful!

To be honest, this isn't my area of expertise so I couldn't necessarily reply with a degree of certainty. Blood groups can affect your response to infections (for example, O tends to be protected vs the most severe forms of malaria (as does duffy, another subsection of blood groups), while people with blood group A do get more severe malaria). I assume it is something to do with surface proteins and receptors expressed on the blood cells.

So it could very well be the case. I'm currently trying to spend my free time relaxing before the inevitable onslaught/ reading up on Covid19/ trying to refresh my memory on ventilator settings....so I'll see if I can find the papers on blood group!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Man that's crazy. Would be interested to know his results of the second test.
I asked him again yesterday actually and apparently he hasn't been able to get hold of his GP who is supposed to organise the blood test, and even if/when he does get it apparently the results will take up to 8 weeks to come back! Shambles.

Running marathons is one of the last things somebody should do if they want to be considered healthy. Fit, sure. Healthy, no.

It's silly how that's used to imply somebody is inherently healthy, not to mention how it neglects every other variable in their life that an observer can't possibly account for.
Agree with your second paragraph here of course but there’s nothing “unhealthy” about a well trained individual running a marathon, nothing whatsoever.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
If people in the UK are saying "well, we can still do this and that, go here and there because no-one will know", the whole exercise is pointless. The British government is asking people to be responsible adults and work together.

Personally, I think far more enforcement is needed - it can be done, you have roadblocks as we have here in Italy, you have to complete paperwork if you want to leave the house. You might not be stopped by a police officer, but if you are and you're breaking the quarantine rules (or you don't have the paperwork), you're in trouble.

If Brits don't do as they're being told to do, you might find yourself as we are here in terms of the restrictions placed upon us. We can no longer leave the boundaries of our very small village, unless we have a dire emergency. This makes life quite difficult for people in more isolated areas - our own municipality is just over 1100 people, who are now having to get everything at one very small shop.

@Noc-Z, this may help on your question about completion of houses sales/purchases. If everyone in the chain exchanges, at least there would be certainty about things not falling through.
The property industry is in confusion after the lockdown announcement by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

With immediate effect after his mid-evening announcement UK citizens were allowed out for only four reasons: shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need, and travelling to and from essential work.

But this leaves up in the air any party to a transaction currently underway - for example can they actually move in to their property?

Is this regarded as ‘essential work’? Are removal teams allowed to operate?

Estate Agent Today asked the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government for clarification last evening; so far there has been no response.

One possible option would be for an exchange with a delay on completion, or a contract worded in such a way as to permit a delay if it was specifically caused by the Coronavirus clampdown.
https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/...ssential-under-the-lockdown?source=newsticker

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Because they realised the herd immunity nonsense was going to destroy them and their party.

If there was no backlash from experts/criticism, they would've happily continued with their plan.
Probably right, I am cynical though and think the tories would never do anything benevolent that isn’t for them.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think we need the written permits thing. You fill it out before you leave the hose and the police check the details if they stop you. Morons are going to take the piss. It's inevitable.

Woodzy

Look at the state of that Underground! It's from this morning right? London is fecked if so.

What can they realistically do to prevent that though? They literally need to close all non-essential businesses (I don't actually know if they've done this already).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Personally, I think far more enforcement is needed - it can be done, you have roadblocks as we have here in Italy, you have to complete paperwork if you want to leave the house. You might not be stopped by a police officer, but if you are and you're breaking the quarantine rules (or you don't have the paperwork), you're in trouble.
I think we need the written permits thing. You fill it out before you leave the hose and the police check the details if they stop you. Morons are going to take the piss. It's inevitable.
Yep. It's only a small inconvenience to fill out a form and it will force people to really think about how vital their trip out is, as they are getting ready to head out. I don't see a downside to it.

Smores

How hard is it for them to give clear guidelines, cock up at every turn.

Again, they knew this was coming yet this is their prepared result? Most employers and employees see their work as 'essential'

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So this is my facebook this morning:

woke up with the worst cough, sore throat, aching everywhere especially my kidneys and feel like absolute crap, phone call to the doctors at 8 for me but what you meant to do when you have two boys who you don’t want to get infected
This was her facebook 4 days ago

well me and (name) went out tonight for two hours, just us two, nobody else, no close contact with anyone other than family to drop our boys off. thankyou to my amazing helpful family who were there to offer support for work and us being able to actually enjoy time together before we all go into isolation. having children isn’t easy at times but something like this really makes you appreciate what you have and how lucky you are! i understand people are angry at what’s happening and the fear of the unknown but there’s really no need to get mad about people going out and enjoying themselves before who knows how long we’ll have to isolate for. everyone’s entitled to their own opinion like the choices we make are our own, no need to judge
And this was her boyfriend the day before that

People that use this as an excuse to stay off work are weak , I understand the people that can’t fight it elderly and problematic health issues ‘ but the majority of us are a lot tougher than a virus and it will come and go just like anything else
Times like this I want to point out what she did 4 days ago, but it's just not worth the hassle :lol:

dove

Can't even do a proper lockdown. Current "restrictions" leave way too much areas to exploit and is just a waste of time before further restrictions will have to be added. Pointless.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So this is my facebook this morning:

This was her facebook 4 days ago

And this was her boyfriend the day before that

Times like this I want to point out what she did 4 days ago, but it's just not worth the hassle :lol:

everyone’s entitled to their own opinion like the choices we make are our own, no need to judge
This attitude is so fecking ubiquitous in the West. The choices we make are our own. Yes they are but your choices have consequences you utter twats. Not everything is about you and your life. Have some thought for those around you for once in your life.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Look at the state of that Underground! It's from this morning right? London is fecked if so.

What can they realistically do to prevent that though? They literally need to close all non-essential businesses (I don't actually know if they've done this already).
I assumed that's what they did, or planned to do. Unfortunately it seems to be more vague shite from the Uk government again that leaves it essentially up to the businesses to decide if they're essential and if it's essential their workers come in instead of WFH.

ryansgirl

Thank you very much, very helpful!

To be honest, this isn't my area of expertise so I couldn't necessarily reply with a degree of certainty. Blood groups can affect your response to infections (for example, O tends to be protected vs the most severe forms of malaria (as does duffy, another subsection of blood groups), while people with blood group A do get more severe malaria). I assume it is something to do with surface proteins and receptors expressed on the blood cells.

So it could very well be the case. I'm currently trying to spend my free time relaxing before the inevitable onslaught/ reading up on Covid19/ trying to refresh my memory on ventilator settings....so I'll see if I can find the papers on blood group!
Thank YOU africanspur!

Just some info to put into perspective the current denialist nonsense going on in Japan especially in its largest city Tokyo - little Adelaide in South Australia has around 1 million people and has conducted around 17,800 tests so far.

Japan with 125 million people including Tokyo with 13 million has not even conducted half of that number of tests. Having lived here for some time, I even doubt the right wing Government here, no not centre right, right wing, will be honest if there's a likely sharp increase in cases. Japan is claiming around less than 1,100 cases. It has now 45 deaths although some websites are not up to date and list the number as 42.

It's fair to assume the real number of cases is at least 2,500. The COVID-19 deaths will most likely be more and explained away by pre-existing conditions with no reference to the virus. Japan does few autopsies and is reasonably close to the Chinese Government in its censoriousness although still a basic democracy. One of its medical experts called the Govt out for its handling of the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship especially the exposure of ship staff. He later backtracked on social media. Sorry I can't recall his name.

I enjoy living and working here but I refuse to be a cheerleader for the facade that Japan puts up. There are many decent people here and they deserve better, both Japanese and foreigners.

There's a poster here who comes on and posts misleading info re Japan - ignore him or her, they live out in the sticks in a prefecture called Fukuyama which has nothing to do with big cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka. Fukuoka's numbers are laughably low - supposedly 5 cases, oh yes. It's a very popular tourist destination. I used to live there. Look Mum - No Tests, No Virus!

LordNinio

As well from outside
From deaths graphs, UK is the second worse country in the world in projection

I don't understand this graph when compared to the table, unless it's a couple of days old.

2 days ago we were on par with Italy, then we fell about 80 behind them at the same stage, and then yesterday over 100 behind them. If we fall further behind today, the signs are strongly that we won't get hit as hard as Italy. Yet this graph, has us in a worse position than Italy?

Maybe it's because this starts at the 10th death, and the table starts at the 3rd?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand this graph when compared to the table, unless it's a couple of days old.

2 days ago we were on par with Italy, then we fell about 80 behind them at the same stage, and then yesterday over 100 behind them. If we fall further behind today, the signs are strongly that we won't get hit as hard as Italy. Yet this graph, has us in a worse position than Italy?

Maybe it's because this starts at the 10th death, and the table starts at the 3rd?

I don't think there are any rules. It's a waiting game to see how bad it gets. I don't think for a minute that we have peaked yet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

We won’t be leaving the house before society has a degree of herd immunity regardless. It’s part of the solution whatever path we take.

ryansgirl

How much should traffic on the underground have reduced?
My God, that is frightening. That is an example of the perfect infection vector.

At least many Japanese on the subways/trains now are wearing masks. I'm not a fan of them - you have to keep focused on not getting infected by touching the cough and sneeze substances sprayed on them by others and when taking them off to speak etc you have to find a safe clean place to put them down. However, masks at close quarters hold in others' droplets.

I suspect Tokyo also has more train service times. Some lines have also had a small drop in passengers - the Yamanote Loop Line that runs around the city has less passengers so it's possible to find a car that isn't so crowded.

What on earth is Mr Khan doing not taking swift action about this? Why on earth isn't he even publicly talking about this? Just another conman masquerading as a leader? I don't know much about him so please fill me in.

LordNinio

I don't think there are any rules. It's a waiting game to see how bad it gets. I don't think for a minute that we have peaked yet.
No I don't think we've peaked yet either, but generally speaking most countries have followed a similar shaped curve, if we're consistently falling behind Italy and Spain then the odds are we won't get hit as bad. There are no guarantees though of course.

But in the line of thinking of 'there are no rules', any country could suddenly take a turn for the worse, and all the tables and graphs would be totally useless and serve no point. We can only go off the past data. From the table being shared we look to be fairing better than Italy and Spain, but time will tell

ChrisNelson

The London Underground this morning is an absolute embarrassment to Boris Johnson.

He claims to be taking this seriously, he's stopped us seeing friends & family yet it's ok for people to be crammed in to train carriages like sardines.

I understand TfL and ultimately the Mayor are in charge however surely Boris has to look at the pictures this morning and overrule, this cannot be allowed to continue - he should fix this by teatime rush hour.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The London Underground this morning is an absolute embarrassment to Boris Johnson.

He claims to be taking this seriously, he's stopped us seeing friends & family yet it's ok for people to be crammed in to train carriages like sardines.

I understand TfL and ultimately the Mayor are in charge however surely Boris has to look at the pictures this morning and overrule, this cannot be allowed to continue - he should fix this by teatime rush hour.

Kay Burley is grilling Goblin Gove about it now.