SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

RedDevil@84

The Texas gov seems to be calling to all senior citizens to give up their lives for the new generation. I think it will be a grave mistake to assume only the old are affected. There are many people in their 30s to 50s in US who have other major health problems or have fought cancer and stuff. They are all vulnerable.

If there's one thing people should take away from this crisis, it's the importance of unions. If you're not organised then you're relying on the generosity of tories which is never a good situation to be in.
Actually it's the selfishness of unions, and how they don't give a feck about anything or anybody as long as they get what they want. There was a nationwide strike here yesterday across multiple industries in protest at the restrictions affecting their jobs. Never mind the little dose of flu that's going around at the moment.

You can bet your house the unions in the UK will be holding everybody to ransom once all the cutbacks and fallout from the virus become clear. You'll probably have to if they get their way.

F-Red

At this point, its a health hazard.

Millions are still going to work because the alternative is £94 a week sick pay, and they will starve.
I would argue it's employer related more than worker. If something is open, a self employed worker will try. We're seeing this on building sites today. I had a window cleaner around my house today!

Just pay them all the average national wage, £500 a week. Some people will get it who don't need it, but the alternative is people not having any way of stopping work and continuing to spread the virus.

Give them all the money and they can sit at home like we all want them to.
I get your point, but that average national wage isn't even what some furlough employees are getting. Playing devil's advocate why would self employed workers (who some earn much less than that) recieve more? I'm confident they'll get a mechanism correct, it's just not a simple turn on the tap of X amount for all. I believe they'll get a similar support that employed workers have.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Agree with this. The danger of the virus lies not in it's potency, but it's spreadibility. A long surface life coupled with asymptomatic transmission is just a rather fecked up combination to deal with.

SARS/MERS/Ebola are way more lethal, but you at least you could shut that shit down within weeks.
The last part is true. Whenever there's a bird flue outbreak somewhere (it happens times to times here in PT), the places where the infected persons are shut for a couple of weeks and the problem is usually solved.
This virus is managing to showing that doing even more extreme measure than just shutting the affcted spots is not remotely enough. Also think it took us time to detect the virus because an 80+ person with respiratory problems having a pneumonia is actually a very common thing to happen (thousands of cases every year), which also didn't help to detect this earlier.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So my brother returned to Shanghai a few day’s ago and is being held in a government hotel quarantined for 14 days. Upon arrival they are checking everyone’s temperature multiple times over a period of time. My brother showed no signs of a fever so he passed by doing the actual test.

So now he is locked in a hotel room for 14 days. This is for everyone entering China, it is impossible to skip this. Someone just got deported for trying to skip out before 14 days. Upon completion of quarantine people are given an Id number and a green card linked to their WeChat and phone numbers marking them as being cleared from quarantine. Cities will be starting to open up over the next weeks. To enter any building the green card and your id must be presented.

Not sure how it works for people already in China as he didn’t mention it. But I assume the must do something to also receive the green code.

F-Red

So my brother returned to Shanghai a few day’s ago and is being held in a government hotel quarantined for 14 days. Upon arrival they are checking everyone’s temperature multiple times over a period of time. My brother showed no signs of a fever so he passed by doing the actual test.

So now he is locked in a hotel room for 14 days. This is for everyone entering China, it is impossible to skip this. Someone just got deported for trying to skip out before 14 days. Upon completion of quarantine people are given an Id number and a green card linked to their WeChat and phone numbers marking them as being cleared from quarantine. Cities will be starting to open up over the next weeks. To enter any building the green card and your id must be presented.

Not sure how it works for people already in China as he didn’t mention it. But I assume the must do something to also receive the green code.
Singapore is now doing this as well, most Asian countries will do the same as new cases are predominantly coming from USA/Western Europe.

Skills

Snitch
Singapore is now doing this as well, most Asian countries will do the same as new cases are predominantly coming from USA/Western Europe.
Funny how the western govts didn't have the balls or cared enough to do it, when cases were flooding in from East Asia over here.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Common sense was telling us to start social distancing weeks ago... but affluent and like minded folk were stilling ramming out the pubs for their usual sunday roast up until the govt had to shut them down.
SAme problem everywhere. Most of people are habit creatures and will have a hard time to hear a no to something they do for ages and take as granted. Here in PT people still go to the beaches in remote locations, because the police is controlling the main ones. On Sunday 7 people were detained and will be in court after ignoring the state of emergency rules. If the police would follow the law, it would be 100 times more

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Running marathons is one of the last things somebody should do if they want to be considered healthy. Fit, sure. Healthy, no.

It's silly how that's used to imply somebody is inherently healthy, not to mention how it neglects every other variable in their life that an observer can't possibly account for.
Being fit and healthy are of course massively relative scales.

Generally being able to run a decent marathon shows you're pretty fit AND healthy - not sure what distinction you're making there.
It's not a sport you can do well in if you're unhealthy.

You get people doddling marathons out in 7-8 hours which might be your point I suppose.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We're in complete lockdown now. Only allowed to go to do essential shopping, pharmacies and walk the dog. Bless the dog, I'll still be getting my share of fresh air.

Sweet Square

The slightest bit of research effort would tell you it didn't originate in the US.
Well post it then, you nob.

Where did the 2009 H1N1 flu virus come from?
The 2009 H1N1 influenza virus (referred to as “swine flu” early on) was first detected in people in the United States in April 2009. This virus was originally referred to as “swine flu” because laboratory testing showed that its gene segments were similar to influenza viruses that were most recently identified in and known to circulate among pigs. CDC believes that this virus resulted from reassortment, a process through which two or more influenza viruses can swap genetic information by infecting a single human or animal host. When reassortment does occur, the virus that emerges will have some gene segments from each of the infecting parent viruses and may have different characteristics than either of the parental viruses, just as children may exhibit unique characteristics that are like both of their parents. In this case, the reassortment appears most likely to have occurred between influenza viruses circulating in North American pig herds and among Eurasian pig herds. Reassortment of influenza viruses can result in abrupt, major changes in influenza viruses, also known as “antigenic shift.” When shift happens, most people have little or no protection against the new influenza virus that results.

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/information_h1n1_virus_qa.htm
The best alternative I found was it starting in Mexico.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One look at Twitter shows that a lot of Americans thinks this is just the common cold and are up in arms about "freedom of movement" yada yada. FFS!
Probably doesn't help that their president was so casual about it for so long, calls it the "China virus" and has said they'll soon be fine. Based on seemingly nothing.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Some good news in Spain, a drop in deaths to 385 and 4537 cases but this could be from Sunday/Monday slowdown.

You can see a big drop in deaths around sunday/monday. 10th, 16th, 24th

I saw the tweet which says "essentially immune" Which means when looking at the stats there's so few, so therefore essentially immune. Doesn't mean every kid is immune, it's like almost or virtually. There's no need to witch hunt or leave out words. When a football game is 5-0 with 5 mins to go it's "essentially over" but isn't quite over, just a figure of speech.
They are not essentially immune. It's killed kids. A good deed is a good nonetheless, whether it's for publicity or not (even though a 1000 looks like a huge number, it's probably less than a very small fraction of what California need).

Carolina Red

Staff
OMG .... Speechless
User GayShawnMendes has also now posted a video showing from a hospital bed saying they've tested postive for the coronavirus.

Personally, I think the hospital should be shown the 1st video and his hospital bed be given to someone who didn't lick a toilet bowl like a jackass.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wtf is up with these old people

Stupid bitch doesn't realise that there are fairly young people who have quite significant comorbidities, which puts them at risk, nevermind the viral load which healthy doctors and nurses get exposed to. What a dumb bitch.

RedDevilRoshi

Wtf is up with these old people

Jeez that was making my blood boil! What an absolute selfish cow she really is. Folk like that are what is wrong with this country and I will have no sympathy for her, or any other person that thinks the same way if they end up catching this virus.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Being fit and healthy are of course massively relative scales.

Generally being able to run a decent marathon shows you're pretty fit AND healthy - not sure what distinction you're making there.
It's not a sport you can do well in if you're unhealthy.

You get people doddling marathons out in 7-8 hours which might be your point I suppose.
From Runners World:
People at the highest risk for the 2019-nCoV coronavirus are the elderly. Runners who are training normally don’t have to worry any more than the average person, but Nieman points out that runners who have just finished a long race, such as a half-marathon or marathon, are at a higher risk.

“In general, for runners who are going through their normal training —and not overtraining— the training program enhances the ability of the immune system to detect and deal with pathogens. Runners are, in fact, less likely to get ill with an upper respiratory tract infection like coronavirus,” Nieman said.

Runners—and others who exercise regularly—are generally less likely to get sick with these types of infections than people who aren’t active, Nieman added. The exception? Those who are overtraining or who have just completed a race.

“When you get to the high end of training and/or a postrace situation, then you are more vulnerable to infection,” he said. “For example, after a marathon, runners are six times more likely to get ill with a respiratory infection than in people who didn’t race, because in a race you will always push harder than you would in training. This causes a lot of stress to your immune system, which increases your risk of coming down with an infection in the coming weeks.”
If you are a regular runner it's good to keep up the exercise. If you ran once every two months before the virus, it's definitely not healthy to go for a (long) run every day now.

redshaw

In Spain of the 39,763 infected people around the country, 5,400 are healthcare staff according to the BBC.

1535 of 2696 deaths are in Madrid. North east Barcelona is becoming a new hotspot for cases overtaking Madrid in the last day so we could see some bad figures again soon.

Sweet Square

Stupid bitch doesn't realise that there are fairly young people who have quite significant comorbidities, which puts them at risk, nevermind the viral load which healthy doctors and nurses get exposed to. What a dumb bitch.
Agree. Also Her husband as well who didn't go on a walk with her because he's recovering from a stroke!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Agree. Also Her husband as well who didn't go on a walk with her because he's recovering from a stroke!
Yeah it's almost amusing if it wasn't so bloody tragic. Problem is, there are plenty more like her.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
In Spain of the 39,763 infected people around the country, 5,400 are healthcare staff according to the BBC.

1535 of 2696 deaths are in Madrid. North east Barcelona is becoming a new hotspot for cases overtaking Madrid in the last day so we could see some bad figures again soon.
Yet Brussels Airport still has planes arriving from Madrid, full of people who don't even get tested or screened. Maddening.

Fener1907