SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you have a few n95 masks knocking about you should consider giving it to a hospital as they are short!

The little surgical masks are what I'm talking about.

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/
The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze.
Thanks for the info, and no I havnt got any n95 masks here unfortunately or I would Most certainly pass them on.

@Penna noticed you mentioning wearing a mask further up the page, maybe worth reconsidering

Adcuth

Anyone aware of my rights regarding the whole 2m rule whilst in work. I work in the distribution centre for a major food chain, most days I can be surrounded by people whilst picking into cages and so far no protective measures are in place. Anyone got any advice on the steps I should take, worries because I have 2 kids at home, my youngest is under 1 and has had continuous chest issues which have required multiple courses of antibiotics which haven't as yet solved her issue. Thanks in advance.

Id have no objection and no one would, but the maximum has to be the exact same imo.

What figure is it based on though, net profit? Cant be turnover!

Those that deal in cash etc and "hide" income to reduce tax will take a hit.
its clearly going to be difficult to devise a package that’s not going to be abused for the self employed (I am one myself).

there will be a significant no of people who don’t have three tax returns, that means you would be going back to 2016/17, and for anyone less than a year they have zero track record. Perhaps they will look at the average PAYE over that period?

not sure anyone will have any sympathy for those who do not declare their earnings.

but we do need to get a package sorted quickly. If you have an electrician who earns £150-200 day, is he going to stay home at the moment for £97 per week?

we will presumably move to a full lockdown scenario at some point and it needs to be sorted beforehand, otherwise these workers will be difficult to control.

0le

90% of people who tested positive in the US don't have symptoms according to the surgeon general. Considering that the US has done more testing than any other country (except possibly China) this is pretty good news. The same goes for Singapore, 9 our of 10 imported cases were asymptotic.
Its a classic example of a double edge sword. Good news for the reason you gave. Bad news because idiots who do not show symptoms will still ignore advice and may spread the infection to others.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If you have a few n95 masks knocking about you should consider giving it to a hospital as they are short!

The little surgical masks are what I'm talking about.

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/
The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze.
That's odd because surgical masks and other non-n95 and better masks seem to be a big part of South Korea's success in handling this pandemic without closing their economy.

F-Red

That's odd because surgical masks and other non-n95 and better masks seem to be a big part of South Korea's success in handling this pandemic without closing their economy.
Hmmm, i think it was more the extensive testing and contact tracing that were the big part in South Korea's success.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Our health agency noted few times that negative tests came many times as false negatives, so they repeated lots of tests, so even lot of testing is not that secure approach, according to them. They repeated this few times these past few weeks, along that testing itself isn't that easy as many think it is, they say it's actually quite complicated.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There's quite a few articles about how South Korea has handled this. They give credit to mass testing early on, strict quarantine and tracking of infected people. Masks are not mentioned anywhere, because they've got nothing to do with the sucess.

The backbone of Korea’s success has been mass, indiscriminate testing, followed by rigorous contact tracing and the quarantine of anyone the carrier has come into contact with. As of March 19, the country has conducted more than 307,000 tests, the highest per capita in the world. The UK has conducted 64,600; The US even less that. “You have countries like the US right now, where there's a fairly strict criteria of who can be tested,” says Kee Park, a lecturer on global health at Harvard Medical School. “I know people personally who have symptoms that are highly suspicious, but they don't meet all the criteria and so they're not being tested.”

“[South Korea’s] extensive testing is a very valuable tool to both control the virus and understand and measure the effectiveness of the responses that are taking place,” says Michael Mina, assistant professor at the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at Harvard University. “It’s allowed individuals to take matters into their own hands and make social distancing decisions on their own, both to protect those around them and to protect themselves from those who are infected around them.”

To carry out testing at this scale requires extraordinary coordination. The Wall Street Journal reports that the country can test more than 20,000 people a day at 633 testing sites nationwide. A smartphone app provides GPS maps to track the infection’s spread. Medics pitch massive white tents on roadsides, where citizens receive free drive through testing, reducing the need to clean infected hazmat suits. Results are swift, too, coming by text within 24 hours.

The response has melded with Korean technological ingenuity, explains Park.“Koreans are super good at making things convenient for people – we don't have any patience,” he says. “South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world, where everybody uses cell phones for just about everything, and [the government] was able to use our cell phones to not only track but send warnings, like ‘watch out, there's a Covid-19 patient in your vicinity.’”

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/south-korea-coronavirus

If you think about it, a non-airtight bit of breathable cloth is not going to stop particles as small as a virus. They're designed to stop surgeons dribbling onto patients!

Foxbatt

The worst is that the front line health workers did not or do not have protective gear. The first positive identification in the US was in January. Now the death toll has hit the 670 mark. This is going to go up for sure. Drastic measures need to be taken to stop this. They economy can be tackled later. Lives cannot be recovered.

Carolina Red

Staff
The worst is that the front line health workers did not or do not have protective gear. The first positive identification in the US was in January. Now the death toll has hit the 670 mark. This is going to go up for sure. Drastic measures need to be taken to stop this. They economy can be tackled later. Lives cannot be recovered.
Tell that to the GOP.

You've got Trump wanting America up and running again by Easter and the Texas Lt. Gov. backing him up on it.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Thanks for the info, and no I havnt got any n95 masks here unfortunately or I would Most certainly pass them on.

@Penna noticed you mentioning wearing a mask further up the page, maybe worth reconsidering
I've been recycling a builder's mask I had from when I bought a few last year - also, have ordered a few N95s from a site in America. No idea when I'll get them, the masks I ordered in February in Italy never turned up!

onemanarmy

Do we get a heads up if theres going to be a lockdown in Ireland? Like some time to buy food and such
Of course you can still buy food. To prevent hoarding, people are only allowed in a grocery store for 30 minutes in Belgium which seems to work well.

Scrumpet

There are no words
As per yesterday's figures, NI had carried out approx. 1,430 tests per million people.

As of today's figures, the ROI has carried out approx 3,725 tests per million people.

It is beyond stupid that one quarter of the island is operating at an entirely different pace to the other three quarters. With all the cross border co-operation that is built into the peace process, you'd think having a one island approach in a crisis like this would be a given.
Just stop testing so much.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I've been recycling a builder's mask I had from when I bought a few last year - also, have ordered a few N95s from a site in America. No idea when I'll get them, the masks I ordered in February in Italy never turned up!
Sounds better than a surgeons mask. Also seen you’re in Italy. Stay safe

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just finished a 12 hour shift. It finally happened.

A patient on the ward started developing symptoms. High fever, dry cough. He's been under my care since last Thursday. Getting swabbed tonight - so hopefully it's negative otherwise I'll be off work for 14 days.

We had a confirmed case on the weekend, and I saw the chest xrays of this poor gentleman when he presented to A&E and then 12 hours after when he deterioriated.

fecking hell - can see why people die from it. That shit obliterates.
Yep, his swab test is positive for Covid19. I've been dealing with him since his admission (what he came in with was a bad hip). Which now explains my sore-throat and headache since Sunday (he went unwell Saturday).

I've been told I should keep working until I have a temp and/or a dry cough.
Surreal shit.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yep, his swab test is positive for Covid19. I've been dealing with him since his admission (what he came in with was a bad hip). Which now explains my sore-throat and headache since Sunday (he went unwell Saturday).

Surreal shit.
No way? You're still working?!

Adcuth

Surreal shit.
Sorry but that is a fecking joke. you should be tested immediately and isolated

Dante

Average bang
There's quite a few articles about how South Korea has handled this. They give credit to mass testing early on, strict quarantine and tracking of infected people. Masks are not mentioned anywhere, because they've got nothing to do with the sucess.

The backbone of Korea’s success has been mass, indiscriminate testing, followed by rigorous contact tracing and the quarantine of anyone the carrier has come into contact with. As of March 19, the country has conducted more than 307,000 tests, the highest per capita in the world. The UK has conducted 64,600; The US even less that. “You have countries like the US right now, where there's a fairly strict criteria of who can be tested,” says Kee Park, a lecturer on global health at Harvard Medical School. “I know people personally who have symptoms that are highly suspicious, but they don't meet all the criteria and so they're not being tested.”

“[South Korea’s] extensive testing is a very valuable tool to both control the virus and understand and measure the effectiveness of the responses that are taking place,” says Michael Mina, assistant professor at the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at Harvard University. “It’s allowed individuals to take matters into their own hands and make social distancing decisions on their own, both to protect those around them and to protect themselves from those who are infected around them.”

To carry out testing at this scale requires extraordinary coordination. The Wall Street Journal reports that the country can test more than 20,000 people a day at 633 testing sites nationwide. A smartphone app provides GPS maps to track the infection’s spread. Medics pitch massive white tents on roadsides, where citizens receive free drive through testing, reducing the need to clean infected hazmat suits. Results are swift, too, coming by text within 24 hours.

The response has melded with Korean technological ingenuity, explains Park.“Koreans are super good at making things convenient for people – we don't have any patience,” he says. “South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world, where everybody uses cell phones for just about everything, and [the government] was able to use our cell phones to not only track but send warnings, like ‘watch out, there's a Covid-19 patient in your vicinity.’”

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/south-korea-coronavirus

If you think about it, a non-airtight bit of breathable cloth is not going to stop particles as small as a virus. They're designed to stop surgeons dribbling onto patients!
The virus doesn't appear to be very well aerosolised (nuclei of <=5 μm), meaning it doesn't hang around in the air waiting to be inhaled.

C19 seems to mostly be transmitted through droplets (>5 μm ) which land on surfaces and are then introduced to the face via people's hands.

If I had to guess, I'd think that regular face masks are mostly useful when worn by already infected people to stop them from coughing droplets everywhere. But they're likely also helpful for medical professionals who have a lot of close contact with infected individuals, and might otherwise breathe in a stray droplet or two. In either case, a properly fitted breathable cloth should do the trick (N95 can stop 95% of particles >0.3μm).

Probably not of great use to the average Joe going about his day in the toilet paper aisle of the supermarket, though. Social distancing is going to be more effective in that circumstance.

(Obviously, the science isn't fully in yet, so take with a heap of salt).

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
90% of people who tested positive in the US don't have symptoms according to the surgeon general. Considering that the US has done more testing than any other country (except possibly China) this is pretty good news. The same goes for Singapore, 9 our of 10 imported cases were asymptotic.
This is potentially massive. Any source for this mate?

0le

The virus doesn't appear to be very well aerosolised (nuclei of <=5 μm). It's mostly transmitted through droplets (>5 μm ) which land on surfaces and are then introduced to the face via people's hands.
Droplets which are <5 micron mix very well with the air, even in quiescient conditions. This fact is exploited in techniques to measure air velocity in wind tunnels. If the air has any sort of motion, these droplets will follow the air motion well and could potentially stay within the air for some time before settling to the ground.

Larger droplets have a greater terminal velocity and therefore, in quiescient air, settle more quickly to the surfaces. However, larger droplets also distort in shape due to the oncoming flow, and this may lead to breakup (into smaller droplets), depending on how large the droplet becomes. Larger droplets can follow the air flow, but it becomes complicated and is non-trivial.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is potentially massive. Any source for this mate?
The interview on Fox that Trump, Pence, the doctor (not Fauci but the lady) and Surgeon General gave.

It also explains why the US is having as many daily cases as Italy and Spain combined, but much fewer fatalities. Simply cause the US is doing now more tests than any other countries, so it is finding people with no (or very few) symptoms. Also, in Europe, Germany has by far the lowest fatality rate (from large countries) and they are doing more tests than other countries. So likely, it is a matter of many people who have it but don't know that they have it.

Foxbatt

Tell that to the GOP.

You've got Trump wanting America up and running again by Easter and the Texas Lt. Gov. backing him up on it.
I know it on a personal level as both my sister in law and my niece has been tested positive. One is a RN and the other is a doctor and both have been dealing with the patients and they told me that they have no protective clothing. I now think my sister in law's husband has got it too and he has asthma and is a sick man. It is so sad and so pathetic. Now it is said that the US knew about this in January. The same day Korea knew and tested the first positive case the US tested and found positive their first case.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The interview on Fox that Trump, Pence, the doctor (not Fauci but the lady) and Surgeon General gave.

It also explains why the US is having as many daily cases as Italy and Spain combined, but much fewer fatalities. Simply cause the US is doing now more tests than any other countries, so it is finding people with no (or very few) symptoms. Also, in Europe, Germany has by far the lowest fatality rate (from large countries) and they are doing more tests than other countries. So likely, it is a matter of many people who have it but don't know that they have it.
It’s obviously even more dangerous in cases of people respecting others, but it is potentially massive.

Imagine being that much further along the curve than we think we are, perhaps with more and more symptomless people developing immunity.

It would mean that death and serious illness percentages are well below where they actually are registering and could mean that many more people already have antibodies in their system.

It could be early days in Germany and the USA, but the fact that Singapore and South Korea have similar data is extremely encouraging.

It’s possibly the best news in many days.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Because they realised the herd immunity nonsense was going to destroy them and their party.

If there was no backlash from experts/criticism, they would've happily continued with their plan.
And kill a large proportion of Tory voters. Boris never does anything that doesn't benefit him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting that people are saying there's gatherings everywhere still as I went to shop for self isolated family then went for my daily walk and the closest I saw to a mass gathering was four people in a skatepark.
Just looking at the news tonight and all major cities and town high streets are ghost towns bar London (and even that is more public transport).

Of course it's not just town high streets but out of town retail parks and then housing estates which will more difficult to control over next three weeks.

The actual figure the government are looking at btw for succesful use of this method is 75% obeying so you factor in the 1/5 who simply won't want to do it which will be the groups of 2 or more.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We won’t be leaving the house before society has a degree of herd immunity regardless. It’s part of the solution whatever path we take.
Greater immunity yes. But herd immunity will required 70-90% of us getting infected, it in the absence of a vaccine. I think the only real plan is to lock down to the point where ICU's aren't overwhelmed and only relax things if we start to get spare capacity. Otherwise the fatality rate will spike due to a lack of medical care. A treatment and/or vaccine are desperately needed. Fingers crossed the researchers can break records getting this to fruition but unless something is already in human trials even a year is unlikely - sadly.

klayton88

I asked him again yesterday actually and apparently he hasn't been able to get hold of his GP who is supposed to organise the blood test, and even if/when he does get it apparently the results will take up to 8 weeks to come back! Shambles.
Damn that's awful. Understandable in these times but how we allow the country to come to a standstill for things like this is shocking. We never had a proper plan in place even though in 2016 we determined the NHS was not capable of dealing with an incident such as the one we are in four years later. Nothing was done about it.

LInkash

Top advice from Ashley Young of all people, trending on Twitter

0le

Damn that's awful. Understandable in these times but how we allow the country to come to a standstill for things like this is shocking. We never had a proper plan in place even though in 2016 we determined the NHS was not capable of dealing with an incident such as the one we are in four years later. Nothing was done about it.
Last year, at our local GP, the facilities to book face to face appointments online were removed. The only option remaining online was to book "phone appointments". If you rang or visited reception, you could still only book phone appointments. Later in the year, they removed all facilities to book phone appointments online. In essence, you couldn't do anything online anymore. Therefore the only way to book any appointment was to call the reception (good luck, queues were long) or visit the surgery. There were times last year the phone lines were down.

They changed a perfectly good working system (had a 2-3 week wait for non essential appointments) to a hectic, cumbersome appointments system that was not fit for purpose. I dread to imagine what the service is like right now.