SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Hansa

We never had a proper plan in place even though in 2016 we determined the NHS was not capable of dealing with an incident such as the one we are in four years later. Nothing was done about it.
I think this is true for almost every country in the western world. Hospital beds and equipment are expensive items, and future pandemics have been treated as a spooky campfire story, discussed as a real thing, but in financial terms ultimately given the same creedence as an asteroid collision.

By the way, a question for the medically trained here: If a Covid-19 patient in a high risk group was put on oxygen at the first sign of respiratory problems, would they significantly increase their chances of making it through, or does the virus work its thing regardless?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do you reckon their ability to trace was the biggest factor in containing the outbreak?
South Korea seemed to get on top of things thanks to their phenomenal contact tracing. Proper sci fi shit. Data mining from CCTV networks, tracking credit card transactions, bollocks to GDPR. They just got it done.

From what I’ve read about China, their brilliance was in rapid diagnosis (fever clinics with a “while u wait” rapid PCR test and CT scan) as well as having the infrastructure to isolate people away from family units in mass quarantine centres. That and a general public spiritedness. People wanted to do the right thing. They felt a shared responsibility to do everything they needed to do to stop the virus spreading. Couldn’t be more different to all the examples of UK and American people behaving like selfish arsehole. IMO it’s unfair the way they’re being stereotyped as being bullied into submission. Sounds much more like the sort of civic responsibility we badly need to emulate to get through this.

Adcuth

Anyone aware of my rights regarding the whole 2m rule whilst in work. I work in the distribution centre for a major food chain, most days I can be surrounded by people whilst picking into cages and so far no protective measures are in place. Anyone got any advice on the steps I should take, worries because I have 2 kids at home, my youngest is under 1 and has had continuous chest issues which have required multiple courses of antibiotics which haven't as yet solved her issue. Thanks in advance.
Anyone?

Foxbatt

It is going from bad to worse in the US. New York has been badly hit today. Now the papers are saying that the US had a team in China monitoring the Covid but Trump cut its funding. CDC had a team in China for tracking new threats like the Covid but Trump cuts the funding for it. The US also rejected the WHO standard for testing kits and tried to manufacture their own which was found to be faulty and had to re do the whole thing again. It is one huge clusterfeck created by a clusterfeck himself,

bonothom

Italy's total of infections could be as many as 640,000 according to Health chief Angelo Borrelli . Which would suggest that the actual fatality rate is close to 1%.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It is going from bad to worse in the US. New York has been badly hit today. Now the papers are saying that the US had a team in China monitoring the Covid but Trump cut its funding. CDC had a team in China for tracking new threats like the Covid but Trump cuts the funding for it. The US also rejected the WHO standard for testing kits and tried to manufacture their own which was found to be faulty and had to re do the whole thing again. It is one huge clusterfeck created by a clusterfeck himself,
Is it possible for trump to face impeachment again?

Revan

Assumptionman
It depends on the economical costs, and how much time they wasted. Today the US surpassed South Korea on the number of testing done (providing that they are not lying in the first place) despite that the new kit started only 8 days ago.

New York is still not hit as bad as Lombardy for example (similar population), and the mortality rate in the US is quite low compared to most of European countries.

I don't think that the situation was handled well in the US, but it has not been worse than most European countries. This week and then April is gonna be very important, a make it or break it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Italy's total of infections could be as many as 640,000 according to Health chief Angelo Borrelli . Which would suggest that the actual fatality rate is close to 1%.
I think that is the way of saying that the number of infected is 10 times higher. This might be the case (Singapore said that 9/10 of imported cases were asymptotic, so you would miss them if you don't test everyone, US is saying that around 90% of positive cases are asymptotic). Also, countries that are doing more testings (US, South Korea, Germany) are having a lower fatality rate, around 1% or less. In case of Germany who does not have an overwhelmed medical system, it is much less than 1% (in the US, New York has been hit particularly bad but the national death ratio is still at 1% despite that the number of cases is at 53k).

Foxbatt

Is it possible for trump to face impeachment again?
I don't think so. I think if it was any other democracy in the world he would already have been kicked out. It is a lot worse than that. The politics is so divided nothing of anything good for the people will be done in the USA. FEMA offered New York 300 ventilators when they needed 3000. Doctors and nurses are begging online for masks. Seamstress have been asked to stitch masks. One doctor wore a plastic bag over his head during a procedure. These are not fake stories. This is not a third world country in Africa or Asia. This is the USA. It is crazy. Health care workers have been instructed to work regardless of PPE or not. They are begging the public for help on twitter with hashtag getmeppe.
It will break anyones heart. I am personally involved because my sister in law and niece are involved. One is a doctor and the other is a very senior RN and the RN is over 62 and she has been tested positive and her husband who is already having asthma is having symptoms. They both have been sent home to rest.
Then you have idiots here who say that everything is under control and then believing everything Trump says. He never says the same thing twice anyway and changes his story everyday. It is a crisis coming and today was the highest so far.

Foxbatt

It depends on the economical costs, and how much time they wasted. Today the US surpassed South Korea on the number of testing done (providing that they are not lying in the first place) despite that the new kit started only 8 days ago.

New York is still not hit as bad as Lombardy for example (similar population), and the mortality rate in the US is quite low compared to most of European countries.

I don't think that the situation was handled well in the US, but it has not been worse than most European countries. This week and then April is gonna be very important, a make it or break it.
What the nonsense are you talking about? CA is bad too. The UCLA has no PPE and many healthworkers have been tested positive because of no PPE. It has been handled very badly. The Federal government is up in its ass in shit.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Bloody ell, where are you located?
No way? You're still working?!
Sorry but that is a fecking joke. you should be tested immediately and isolated
I've discussed it with a Respiratory Registrar of mine in the same hospital, and she says that because I don't have a temperature and aren't coughing - it's not 100% that I have it.
I understand where you guys are coming from, and your reaction mimicked mine when it dawned on me that I may have it.

When breaking it down - it's actually even more daunting to a certain degree. This guy was admitted with a hip problem as mentioned previously. He had no cough, but when seen in the Emergency Department he recorded a temperature of 38.3. It was a single reading, and following a repeat observations he went down to below 37.5. Although in addition to this, he was hypoxic (low oxygen saturations) despite an absence of a chronic respiratory condition. This was somehow missed - but then again, he came in with a complaing regarding his hip and didn't mention that he felt unwell or mentioned any symptoms concerning Covid.

The issue that some hospitals have is that not everyone gets swabbed when they get admitted to hospital.

So this gentleman developed another temperature spike pre-op, and once again post op. If we roll time back 6 months, this would not be a scary sight as we see hospital/community acquired pneumonias in 75+ year old quite often. The doctor on the weekend prescribed some oral antibiotics covering a chest infection and went from there.

During my on call yesterday, he developed a temperature of 39.3. I noticed the oxygen requirement through a nasal cannulae, and alarm bells started to ring with me. It was only then made obvious to me that he had a temp spike during his admission in the emergency department. This is 5 days after he presented to the emergency department.

So - how many people have been in contact with this gentleman over the last 5 days? Here's a list of people who I know for a fact have:
Me (junior doctor), the consultant, two registrars, two other junior doctors, 5+ nurses, 2 phlebotomists, radiographers (when doing xrays over the weekend), the anaesthetist (who would have been standing over his mouth while intubating this guy), the anaesthetist's assistant, nurses in recovery.

Since that day - how many people have we been in contact with in the hospital? For example, I spent a good few hours today working with 4 other doctors of my team.

So do all these people that I've listed isolate from work for the next 2 days while we get await a swab result? You practically annihilate half a speciality's cohort right there.

What is sad is that the vast majority of us healthcare professionals have conceded that we will all get it at some point over the next few weeks/months. It's inevitable. We go into a "hot bed" of virus every day. We don't do this out of choice - it's our job. If one doctor gets it without knowing, then how many people will get infected by that doctor? We work in an environment which is completely opposite to the "isolation" tactic the government is trying to implement.

That's why we try and tell people to completely avoid coming to hospital until they really have to because the fact is - you won't find more of a "hot zone" than a hospital at the moment.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
What the nonsense are you talking about? CA is bad too. The UCLA has no PPE and many healthworkers have been tested positive because of no PPE. It has been handled very badly. The Federal government is up in its ass in shit.
Everywhere is bad, that is the nonsense I am saying. Obviously the Trump administration did a bad job on this, but it seems that only the countries who have dealt before with SARS (and for some reason Germany, but it might be still too early) had something resembling a plan. Italy, Spain, France, UK, US, etc have just been improvising without a good plan.

The US, for example, has fewer cases and significantly fewer deaths than Italy, despite having 5 times as many people and having the first case earlier.

You probably need an anger management course considering that seems that you are unable to post without offending people. Until then, on ignore box.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
South Korea seemed to get on top of things thanks to their phenomenal contact tracing. Proper sci fi shit. Data mining from CCTV networks, tracking credit card transactions, bollocks to GDPR. They just got it done.

From what I’ve read about China, their brilliance was in rapid diagnosis (fever clinics with a “while u wait” rapid PCR test and CT scan) as well as having the infrastructure to isolate people away from family units in mass quarantine centres. That and a general public spiritedness. People wanted to do the right thing. They felt a shared responsibility to do everything they needed to do to stop the virus spreading. Couldn’t be more different to all the examples of UK and American people behaving like selfish arsehole. IMO it’s unfair the way they’re being stereotyped as being bullied into submission. Sounds much more like the sort of civic responsibility we badly need to emulate to get through this.
Yeah, over here construction workers still have to go to work. I've seen people asking why they can't go for coffee with their friends if construction workers are still working (if it's not safe for me to go for coffee with my friends how is it safe for them to still be working)?

Like those guys wouldn't love to be able to better protect themselves and their families by not working instead of being used as a weak argument by entitled fecks who can't see sense, only what they are being forced to do.

I love my dogs but I wish I didn't have to walk them at least twice a day. I'd much rather hole up at home for two weeks and deal with it. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I already do.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
90% of people who tested positive in the US don't have symptoms according to the surgeon general. Considering that the US has done more testing than any other country (except possibly China) this is pretty good news. The same goes for Singapore, 9 our of 10 imported cases were asymptotic.
I thought he said that 90% of tests came back negative rather than 90% of positive cases were asymptotic.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, over here construction workers still have to go to work. I've seen people are asking why they can't go for coffee with their friends if construction workers are still working (if it's not safe for me to go for coffee with my friends how is it safe for them to still be working)?
I think the distinction is between going for work and going for pleasure. Most people need to work, most of them cannot do it from home. Going for coffee with friends on the other hand is not a necessity.

I love my dogs but I wish I didn't have to walk them at least twice a day. I'd much rather hole up at home for two weeks and deal with it. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I already do.
Wouldn't it be too boring to not ever go out?

But I see your point. Today I was walking and saw an old couple walking in front of me. Yeah, I had to change the street.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought he said that 90% of tests came back negative rather than 90% of positive cases were asymptotic.
Really?

Shit, I might have misheard it (I am supposedly working and was looking at it in youtube). It might well be the case, and if so, then it means feck all considering that most people who would go for the test are feeling sick.

But then, how it is explained that they have 53k cases but only 689 deaths (compare to Italy 69k/7k, Spain 40k/3k, France 22k/1k)?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think the distinction is between going for work and going for pleasure. Most people need to work, most of them cannot do it from home. Going for coffee with friends on the other hand is not a necessity.
Oh I agree. But people have conditioned themselves to have whatever they want whenever they want and the tantrums are coming.

Wouldn't it be too boring to not ever go out?

But I see your point. Today I was walking and saw an old couple walking in front of me. Yeah, I had to change the street.
It's not never, just a couple of weeks. Do I want to? No, I'd rather do what I've always done but equally I don't want to end up on a ventilator or condemn someone to a similar fate or worse.

Foxbatt

Everywhere is bad, that is the nonsense I am saying. Obviously the Trump administration did a bad job on this, but it seems that only the countries who have dealt before with SARS (and for some reason Germany, but it might be still too early) had something resembling a plan. Italy, Spain, France, UK, US, etc have just been improvising without a good plan.

The US, for example, has fewer cases and significantly fewer deaths than Italy, despite having 5 times as many people and having the first case earlier.

You probably need an anger management course considering that seems that you are unable to post without offending people. Until then, on ignore box.
When I am personally affected because of the stupidity of the Trump government so be it. The US had a team by CDC in China for these very things and Trump cut the funding so they had to curtail it. The CDC had a plan but it was curtailed by this very administration. It is the height of incompetency by the Federal Government. USA knew that this was an unkown virus the day they tested the first one in January. The same day Korea also tested the first positive case.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's not never, just a couple of weeks. Do I want to? No, I'd rather do what I've always done but equally I don't want to end up on a ventilator or condemn someone to a similar fate or worse.
I cannot see this lasting only for 2 weeks. Wuhan is staying for almost 3 months in lockdown, Italy and Spain will likely stay for 6+ weeks or so.

Assuming that you are in some suburban place, I think that the risk or getting infected (or infecting others) while going for a walk is quite small. If it is a city when there are more people walking then yes, it is a bit risky.

Utdstar01

Had to go to the supermarket today to get a few bits. Was informed on the door to stay 2 metres away from anyone. I'd say 2 in 3 people weren't adhering to this rule. People up in your grill standing right next to you where you're looking at product or just standing in an aisle like a prick blocking the whole aisle so nobody could get past. Infuriating. Peopke really are that thick.