SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
"A glorious death is more rewarding."

Lets see how glorious they find clawing for breath with a dozen tubes hanging out of their body.
Yep, there is nothing glorious about it at all. I saw a case last week where the guy came in and was gasping for breath. His lungs were literally drowning in his own fluid and he was crying and begging us to help him breath. Scrambling all over the place. We had to sedate and intubate him in the end.

If he dies, with the restrictions on visiting in my hospital, he'll likely die without any family or friends around him. Wait a week or two for the cases to explode and he may not even have a nurse or doctor around him as he dies.

This shit is harrowing and these idiots genuinely think they're riding off into war or something. Glorious death :rolleyes:

Eriku

Almost got into a massive fight about this last night.

Went for a drive yesterday just to see the emptiness really. As I was around there was one pub that had music playing and punters drinking outside.

Obviously I didn’t want to leave my car but drove by and told them they were all tossers. I fully expected some shit back, but two big lads calmly approached and said that I wasn’t to worry, they were affluent and likeminded people with the UK’s best interests at heart. Boy was I relieved!
:lol:

How are the returns from that phrase not diminishing? Solid gold!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So another extremely low figure coming out of China, its a miracle really while the rest of the world burns. Something is not right with those figures.

The Chinese only lock downed Wuham but the virus was all over the country yet another miracle very little cases coming out of the rest of China. Not heard any reports of them doing a complete lockdown of the country and yet very few cases coming out not only of Wuham but all of China. Something is amiss with there figures.

Countries with far smaller populations are having deaths in there hundreds daily but good old China just about none. Its a miracle I tell you oh and a quite mention to the outstanding job being done in Russia another miracle.
So there's two things about this.

China's figures are almost certainly below the true figures. Its the nature of their government. I also have a friend from HK who works in public health (who admittedly doesn't like the mainland) who's told me there's news of some small towns in China still reporting a few new cases while the provincial government is saying 0.

Having said that, China's measures (once the central government sidelined the Wuhan provincial government) were swift and incredibly effective. They took measures that Western governments seem loathe to take and even now have incredible measures in place. Just like with most Public Health initiatives, prevention is key. I can bore people with the details if they like but what China and HK are doing right now is incredibly impressive.

As Pogue has said, there's also more of a sense of civic duty over there, while people here still seem to think this is all a big joke/ a great chance for a BBQ.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yep, there is nothing glorious about it at all. I saw a case last week where the guy came in and was gasping for breath. His lungs were literally drowning in his own fluid and he was crying and begging us to help him breath. Scrambling all over the place. We had to sedate and intubate him in the end.

If he dies, with the restrictions on visiting in my hospital, he'll likely die without any family or friends around him. Wait a week or two for the cases to explode and he may not even have a nurse or doctor around him as he dies.

This shit is harrowing and these idiots genuinely think they're riding off into war or something. Glorious death :rolleyes:
:(

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes - my bad, in a different post I wrote that Japan has done half the tests of the state of South Australia - city is Adelaide, about one million people - which had done 17,800 tests by the 23rd of March, probably more now. My mistake.

Just see the disparity - 125 million people in Japan, about 25 million people in Australia and the figure above is from one city. This is all part of a wider problem in political life here.

The Japanese media and different Japanese people I've talked to keep telling me how right wing and extremist Trump and the US Govt is. There's very little scrutiny of their own political culture, still heavily connected to the far right that destroyed Japan's pre-World War 2 developing democracy and dragged the country down the dark tunnel of fascism.

Key members of the current J Government are the grandchildren of war criminals - and they have never distanced themselves from what was done by them, in fact the current leader of Japan, Abe, has publicly whinged about supposedly unfair criticism of his grandfather. This Government's first instinct is to be censorious and secretive. I'm not at all surprised by how small the test numbers are compared to the population.
No worries!

For sure. I've been to Japan a few times now, one of my favourite countries (and cultures). I wish I'd had a chance to live there at some point in my life, so jealous that you've been able to! There is definitely an undercurrent to the culture though that is kind of skipped over by a lot of people.

I wasn't all that surprised when you told me that they've barely tested because they do have a very 'everything is ok, carry on and don't rock the boat' kind of culture. Which in many ways is lovely. Certainly leads to a lot of its own problems though!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I have only joined this thread now sorry did not fancy back tracking to page one. But you cant either prove the fact right or wrong or it did or did not happen.

There is so much false information out there its hard to believe what is right and what is not. Just like the figures coming out of China.

It's up to you to do your research. Do not come here with bullshit conspiracy nonsense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, over here construction workers still have to go to work. I've seen people asking why they can't go for coffee with their friends if construction workers are still working (if it's not safe for me to go for coffee with my friends how is it safe for them to still be working)?

Like those guys wouldn't love to be able to better protect themselves and their families by not working instead of being used as a weak argument by entitled fecks who can't see sense, only what they are being forced to do.

I love my dogs but I wish I didn't have to walk them at least twice a day. I'd much rather hole up at home for two weeks and deal with it. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I already do.
Walking the dog is the only thing keeping me sane! Tbh I don’t think there’s any risk in doing it either. People are getting a little carried away about outdoor transmission IMO. There’s pretty much zero chance of getting infected outside unless you get right up in someone’s face. Having a dog at the end of a two metre lead is a good reminder of that anyway!

I don't buy the death lag, Italy was having much more deaths even a week ago. Also, the critical cases in US are only around a thousands. Even if all of them die (which is not gonna happen), still the number of deaths will be less than in Spain, despite that the number of infected is higher. It might be a part of the explanation but not the main part IMO.

I still think that like in Germany (and South Korea), the fatality rate is lower cause the number of tests is higher. The more tests you do, the more asymptotic (or people will mild symptoms) you find. In fact, the spike in US has happened partially cause in the last week the number of testing has increased so much (and partially cause of New York exploding).

Let's see. If the country is shut down for another month, there might be good times ahead.
It takes on average 5 days for symptoms to show and 8 days from there to die, so roughly two weeks in total. Yesterday the US had ~163 deaths. Two weeks ago the US had 1200 cases. Two weeks after Italy had 1200 cases they had 175 deaths in a day. There is not a huge difference there.

However you look at it the US is facing the biggest challenge of any country so far. Their case progression is almost twice that of anywhere else. Either it is spreading like absolute wildfire, or the population is already riddled with it and they are now finding that out. Considering they have only tested 0.1% of their population so far (Italy 0.5%, Korea 0.6%) they have a long way to go on either course.

Bojan11

Well Brazil seems to be fecked too. Their president is doing a Trump and dismissing it saying it’s the media hyping it up.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So another extremely low figure coming out of China, its a miracle really while the rest of the world burns. Something is not right with those figures.

The Chinese only lock downed Wuham but the virus was all over the country yet another miracle very little cases coming out of the rest of China. Not heard any reports of them doing a complete lockdown of the country and yet very few cases coming out not only of Wuham but all of China. Something is amiss with there figures.

Countries with far smaller populations are having deaths in there hundreds daily but good old China just about none. Its a miracle I tell you oh and a quite mention to the outstanding job being done in Russia another miracle.
More cities had been locked down. They also made it a law that you cannot be outside the house without a mask.

Every visitor that centres China now has to be quarantined into a hotel fo their choice for 14 days, then tested.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It takes on average 5 days for symptoms to show and 8 days from there to die, so roughly two weeks in total. Yesterday the US had ~163 deaths. Two weeks ago the US had 1200 cases. Two weeks after Italy had 1200 cases they had 175 deaths in a day. There is not a huge difference there.

However you look at it the US is facing the biggest challenge of any country so far. Their case progression is almost twice that of anywhere else. Either it is spreading like absolute wildfire, or the population is already riddled with it and they are now finding that out. Considering they have only tested 0.1% of their population so far (Italy 0.5%, Korea 0.6%) they have a long way to go on either course.
Special Wuhan Sauce for Trump.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Almost got into a massive fight about this last night.

Went for a drive yesterday just to see the emptiness really. As I was around there was one pub that had music playing and punters drinking outside.

Obviously I didn’t want to leave my car but drove by and told them they were all tossers. I fully expected some shit back, but two big lads calmly approached and said that I wasn’t to worry, they were affluent and likeminded people with the UK’s best interests at heart. Boy was I relieved!
Come on be fair, they were probably only out for a roast dinner.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Got woken up at 6 this morning to road works, tried to go and ask one of the guys what was going but couldn't hear each other over the thumping noise. Didn't want to get too close either.

Then I went on the beeb and it made sense. They must have been told to finish all work as soon as possible before they're all told to cease work.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Asda website is down. I was just going to check if they sold certain things there as Asda nearer for me to walk to than Tesco. Get a bit of exercise at the same time. Then I will be trying to stop in as much as I can, I will just go to my local Co-op for milk and bread if needed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Asda website is down. I was just going to check if they sold certain things there as Asda nearer for me to walk to than Tesco. Get a bit of exercise at the same time. Then I will be trying to stop in as much as I can, I will just go to my local Co-op for milk and bread if needed.
I was in an Asda yesterday, because one of my shopping lists was very specific about wanting certain Asda branded products (like their low fat cottage cheese, rather than just any old cottage cheese).

The only significant empty spaces I noticed on the shelves was that baked beans seemed thin on the ground - but obviously there's a lot of luck involved in it.

As for websites down, yes, they are all very busy - and they've been up and down over the last few days. The online shopping bits are way overloaded and if you do make it to the checkout the delivery slots are thin on the ground.

That said - most of the supermarkets are promising to offer a kind of fast track to people on the "stay in for twelve weeks" list, though how that will work in reality is anyone's guess.

fergosaurus

Could I reuse an N95 mask if I quarantined it for a period of days and gave it a good clean with an alcohol wipe? Does anyone know how many days the virus could potentially survive on it?

These masks are not marketed as re-usable masks because respirator dust masks are usually intended for use in a construction environment.

However, the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) directive indicates that a respirator can be reused as long as it "maintains its structural and functional integrity and the filter material is not physically damaged or soiled".

Alabaster Codify7

I cannot see this lasting only for 2 weeks. Wuhan is staying for almost 3 months in lockdown, Italy and Spain will likely stay for 6+ weeks or so.

Assuming that you are in some suburban place, I think that the risk or getting infected (or infecting others) while going for a walk is quite small. If it is a city when there are more people walking then yes, it is a bit risky.

Definitely not. Look at the incremental approach our government has taken - herd immunity with no real changes; mild changes; slightly stronger changes; lockdown.

Our government are using that approach to soften the blow, and the same will stand true for the lockdown itself.

I'm expecting - 3 weeks initially. Boris then says he's been advised it has to extend by another 3 weeks.

Then at the end of that period, he states that the country will begin slowly unlocking in 2 more weeks time. 8 in total. Around mid-May is my estimate.

If he'd told the country 8 weeks during his speech, he'd have faced a bit more resistance and a lot more idiots would be congregating still. Basic stuff really.

Classical Mechanic

I was in an Asda yesterday, because one of my shopping lists was very specific about wanting certain Asda branded products (like their low fat cottage cheese, rather than just any old cottage cheese).

The only significant empty spaces I noticed on the shelves was that baked beans seemed thin on the ground - but obviously there's a lot of luck involved in it.

As for websites down, yes, they are all very busy - and they've been up and down over the last few days. The online shopping bits are way overloaded and if you do make it to the checkout the delivery slots are thin on the ground.

That said - most of the supermarkets are promising to offer a kind of fast track to people on the "stay in for twelve weeks" list, though how that will work in reality is anyone's guess.
Just drove past Asda and was amazed how quiet the car park was, only about 1/4 full. The local CO-OP was quietish too. Hopefully this means the panic has subsided a bit.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah, over here construction workers still have to go to work. I've seen people asking why they can't go for coffee with their friends if construction workers are still working (if it's not safe for me to go for coffee with my friends how is it safe for them to still be working)?

Like those guys wouldn't love to be able to better protect themselves and their families by not working instead of being used as a weak argument by entitled fecks who can't see sense, only what they are being forced to do.

I love my dogs but I wish I didn't have to walk them at least twice a day. I'd much rather hole up at home for two weeks and deal with it. This pandemic is making me hate people more than I already do.
I think a lot of construction sites will shut down by the end of the week

I am seeing a lot of people looking to make works secure and safe by Friday presumably for a lengthy shut down

There will be some works that need to continue... Safety critical stuff... Propping and structures around transport networks... Utilities etc but I think my Monday you will see massive reductions at least on major civils contracts

I believe the big housebuilders took similar steps yesterday and suspect the medium and smaller ones will follow suit

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just watch a moving documentary on BBC World - it's called WorkLife I think but not sure how it can be viewed online. The film tracks the lives of a few people in Wuhan during the onset of the spread of the virus. I recommend.

Looks like this is it:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just drove past Asda and was amazed how quiet the car park was, only about 1/4 full. The local CO-OP was quietish too. Hopefully this means the panic has subsided a bit.
I think the emptying shelves started innocently enough, with people hearing the two weeks at home, and throwing in an extra couple of tins, or a pack of toilet rolls they'd normally buy just the week before they needed them.

The supermarket stocking algorithms are subtle enough to predict some things, like extra barbecue food when the sun comes out, or the Christmas countdown - but this threw all the calculations off. Way more tinned food than normal, more soap, more longlife milk, and yeah more loo rolls.

Once the shelves start to look empty, people get nervous and join in. What wasn't initially a panic turns into one, especially when you see photos on social media of people walking out with a trolley full.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
I don’t blame you, that’s why I did a search and found the NPR article.

As you say, very hard to assess the veracity of these claims, but there’s certainly an element of doubt about Beijing directing how it was handled by local government.

Btw, you say what a coincidence that he’s dead, you do know he was a casualty of Covid-19?
I know that he died of the virus, but to say that he was not telling the truth could be far from the mark. Look I like to believe and hope the figures coming out of China are correct but certainly have my doubts.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I know that he died of the virus, but to say that he was not telling the truth could be far from the mark. Look I like to believe and hope the figures coming out of China are correct but certainly have my doubts.
There is an excellent post from @Arruda. Look for that. It explains everything.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There are some really poor people in the US though. Huge homeless encampments that will be awful for this. I think that many Americans see this as a way of thinning those unfortunates.
AIDS, addiction and other infectious diseases are doing that job already. Covid-19 is serious enough that rich white people are testing positive at every level including the senate, if that isn't wake up call for every average Joe who eats donuts for breakfast and a large sub with chips and coke for lunch, I don't know what would be. If every American is given a risk score for type 2 diabetes, I'd bet at least 60-80% of them would be shocked.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
AIDS, addiction and other infectious diseases are doing that job already. Covid-19 is serious enough that rich white people are testing positive at every level including the senate, if that isn't wake up call for every average Joe who eats donuts for breakfast and a large sub with chips and coke for lunch, I don't know what would be. If every American is given a risk score for type 2 diabetes, I'd bet at least 60-80% of them would be shocked.

Yeah it's rife. The food is awful and they eat too much of it. Part of why I'm leaving. I need to sort out my diet and give myself more years to enjoy what's left.

SAred

It's up to you to do your research. Do not come here with bullshit conspiracy nonsense.
My bullshit conspiracy theories and you know this how , have the Chinese not ever sent out false info before to save the face of THE CPP. Hell the people of HK thought tooth and nail just recently against the Chinese government. So just because its something that you don't believe does not make it wrong/right. The figures don't add up but I hope they're not bullshitting the world.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
My bullshit conspiracy theories and you know this how , have the Chinese not ever sent out false info before to save the face of THE CPP. Hell the people of HK thought tooth and nail just recently against the Chinese government. So just because its something that you don't believe does not make it wrong/right. The figures don't add up but I hope they're not bullshitting the world.
If you have facts then we'll listen but I won't have you stirring up shit just for the hell of it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Interesting stuff from Italy. The same company who was producing valves on 3d printers for hospital came up with a working solution for DIY machines using alternative materials and 3D printed pieces. Initial tests show they look viable. Let's hope this can also help other countries too.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
For the last fortnight it’s been painfully inevitable that not only will Britain and America suffer the worst but take things to a whole new level.

Our people are that stupid, that pigheaded and with an air of superiority. We think our two nations are different from everyone else. They soon will be but not in a way to be proud about.

Attitudes are improving, slowly, but it’s already too late. We’re gonna make Italians feel grateful they live there. This won’t be anywhere near done in three months now.

SAred

If you have facts then we'll listen but I won't have you stirring up shit just for the hell of it.
The facts, most countries in Western Europe are struggling to contain the virus, yes the lockdowns are just getting started etc but Italy has had a lockdown for over 2 weeks. Wuham that has 11 million people and China that has 1.3 billion has had less daily deaths then Lombardy at its peak, this does not seem a little suspicious to you. Now you can argue that the lockdowns are more serve in China but the number of people are also far greater in China then just Lombardy and yet Lombardy on its own had had a far greater number of deaths then the whole of China and this is even during the peak of the daily death rate. I like to believe they are telling the truth honest I would but I doubt those figures.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
For the last fortnight it’s been painfully inevitable that not only will Britain and America suffer the worst but take things to a whole new level.

Our people are that stupid, that pigheaded and with an air of superiority. We think our two nations are different from everyone else. They soon will be but not in a way to be proud about.

Attitudes are improving, slowly, but it’s already too late. We’re gonna make Italians feel grateful they live there. This won’t be anywhere near done in three months now.
How do you know this. Where is this absolute doom mongering coming from?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

The numbers in Britain so far don't suggest this, the US potentially given the underlying risk factors in the population.