SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Red_toad

For the last fortnight it’s been painfully inevitable that not only will Britain and America suffer the worst but take things to a whole new level.

Our people are that stupid, that pigheaded and with an air of superiority. We think our two nations are different from everyone else. They soon will be but not in a way to be proud about.

Attitudes are improving, slowly, but it’s already too late. We’re gonna make Italians feel grateful they live there. This won’t be anywhere near done in three months now.
if you think it’s only the US and GB, then you’ve obviously not been to Australia. Social distancing seems to be a thing that as long as you don’t get in a sections of the populations way you can maintain it, but if you do get in their way they’ll walk straight into you.
People queuing outside of store before opening hours, mass gatherings in parks and beaches. The ignorance is wide spread. We’re in for a bad time, we just haven’t actually figured it out yet...

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
How do you know this. Where is this absolute doom mongering coming from?
The selfish behaviour at the supermarkets, the larger than normal crowds at beaches and parks at the weekend, our people treating it like a holiday. It may be subsiding now, but as I said, the damage is done.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just from this thread the conflict in info is staggering. If you don’t know, don’t say, it’s quite simple. Especially those who come across so confident in their opinions as if they’re outright facts.

I’ve seen..
it spreads more airborne, it doesn’t spread airborne
Masks work, masks don’t work
It stays on your hands five minutes, It stays On flat surfaces upto a month (begs question why wear gloves)
90% asympomatic, 90% test negative.
Curves showing uk better than others, curves showing the UK worse.

None of this helps, I know people are panicking but a little fact check before running around with wrong opinions/facts wouldn’t take long.

People can’t come across as knowing more than Ole or mou at the moment so it seems they’ve all turned into economists and doctors.

Apologies for the needless rant but the doom mongering with out any backing up gets to me sometimes

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The selfish behaviour at the supermarkets, the larger than normal crowds at beaches and parks at the weekend, our people treating it like a holiday. It may be subsiding now, but as I said, the damage is done.
How do you know it is done? I’ve seen in this thread that using comparable time scales UK locked down sooner than other countries. Or was that wrong too?

arnie_ni

My bullshit conspiracy theories and you know this how , have the Chinese not ever sent out false info before to save the face of THE CPP. Hell the people of HK thought tooth and nail just recently against the Chinese government. So just because its something that you don't believe does not make it wrong/right. The figures don't add up but I hope they're not bullshitting the world.
Your really doing your best to be thread banned arent you

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The facts, most countries in Western Europe are struggling to contain the virus, yes the lockdowns are just getting started etc but Italy has had a lockdown for over 2 weeks. Wuhan that has 11 million people and China that has 1.3 billion has had less daily deaths then Lombardy at its peak, this does not seem a little suspicious to you. Now you can argue that the lockdowns are more serve in China but the number of people are also far greater in China then just Lombardy and yet Lombardy on its own had had a far greater number of deaths then the whole of China and this is even during the peak of the daily death rate. I like to believe they are telling the truth honest I would but I doubt those figures.
Again, I do think China have under-reported the figures.

But I also do not think you are appreciating some of the facts in this particular instance:
  • Most of China's cases were centred around Hubei province and specifically Wuhan. This meant that when healthcare workers started dropping like flies, they could requisition workers from other areas of the country to go there.
  • Secondly, they locked down the entire country sure. But Hubei and Wuhan in particular underwent a severe lockdown. Not the 'lockdowns' we're seeing in the West but an actual enforced lockdown. These are measures that in the West we have so far been unwilling to take.
  • Even now the measures they're taking are insane. If you fly in to China now, you get your temperature taken. If its high, you and the passengers around you get taken to official government quarantine. Everybody gets questioned multiple times about symptoms and recent travel. Everyone gets tested. Even if you don't have a fever, you have to stay in quarantine in your hotel or place of residence for 14 days (can't leave it at all).
  • There is some kind of app that flags your risk as being green, yellow or red. If you go out and try to enter a public place, they will ask to see what colour you are. If you're not green, you won't be allowed entry.
  • Many public places will take your temperature before allowing you to go in.

etc etc

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Christ, Bolsonaro and Trump are really showing their true colours. A naive part of me hopes the world will learn not to vote for this evil morons in the future, but I doubt it. Hearing that Fauci guy saying, what am I supposed to do, push him away from his mic? Yes, yes you should, you all should, you spineless cnuts working for Trump or Bolsonaro. How the feck are advanced modern countries being lead by idiots who somehow should be placated into not doing too much damage. Kick them the feck out.

Adamsk7

Just from this thread the conflict in info is staggering. If you don’t know, don’t say, it’s quite simple. Especially those who come across so confident in their opinions as if they’re outright facts.

I’ve seen..
It stays on your hands five minutes, It stays On flat surfaces upto a month (begs question why wear gloves)

None of this helps, I know people are panicking but a little fact check before running around with wrong opinions/facts wouldn’t take long.

People can’t come across as knowing more than Ole or mou at the moment so it seems they’ve all turned into economists and doctors.

Apologies for the needless rant but the doom mongering with out any backing up gets to me sometimes
Was going to post this a while ago but completely forgot as I now try to avoid this thread (not very easy!). This is exactly it. Nobody knows what’s going on and stories that are speculation, whether they are positive or negative, really don’t help. They damage mental health (I know personally what it’s doing to mine) and they fuel the spread of misinformation.

Adcuth

I've discussed it with a Respiratory Registrar of mine in the same hospital, and she says that because I don't have a temperature and aren't coughing - it's not 100% that I have it.
I understand where you guys are coming from, and your reaction mimicked mine when it dawned on me that I may have it.

When breaking it down - it's actually even more daunting to a certain degree. This guy was admitted with a hip problem as mentioned previously. He had no cough, but when seen in the Emergency Department he recorded a temperature of 38.3. It was a single reading, and following a repeat observations he went down to below 37.5. Although in addition to this, he was hypoxic (low oxygen saturations) despite an absence of a chronic respiratory condition. This was somehow missed - but then again, he came in with a complaing regarding his hip and didn't mention that he felt unwell or mentioned any symptoms concerning Covid.

The issue that some hospitals have is that not everyone gets swabbed when they get admitted to hospital.

So this gentleman developed another temperature spike pre-op, and once again post op. If we roll time back 6 months, this would not be a scary sight as we see hospital/community acquired pneumonias in 75+ year old quite often. The doctor on the weekend prescribed some oral antibiotics covering a chest infection and went from there.

During my on call yesterday, he developed a temperature of 39.3. I noticed the oxygen requirement through a nasal cannulae, and alarm bells started to ring with me. It was only then made obvious to me that he had a temp spike during his admission in the emergency department. This is 5 days after he presented to the emergency department.

So - how many people have been in contact with this gentleman over the last 5 days? Here's a list of people who I know for a fact have:
Me (junior doctor), the consultant, two registrars, two other junior doctors, 5+ nurses, 2 phlebotomists, radiographers (when doing xrays over the weekend), the anaesthetist (who would have been standing over his mouth while intubating this guy), the anaesthetist's assistant, nurses in recovery.

Since that day - how many people have we been in contact with in the hospital? For example, I spent a good few hours today working with 4 other doctors of my team.

So do all these people that I've listed isolate from work for the next 2 days while we get await a swab result? You practically annihilate half a speciality's cohort right there.

What is sad is that the vast majority of us healthcare professionals have conceded that we will all get it at some point over the next few weeks/months. It's inevitable. We go into a "hot bed" of virus every day. We don't do this out of choice - it's our job. If one doctor gets it without knowing, then how many people will get infected by that doctor? We work in an environment which is completely opposite to the "isolation" tactic the government is trying to implement.

That's why we try and tell people to completely avoid coming to hospital until they really have to because the fact is - you won't find more of a "hot zone" than a hospital at the moment.
Thanks for everything you're doing at the moment mate, i know you'll say its your job but it still requires the will to go into work in these awful times and conditions. Much appreciated

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Christ, Bolsonaro and Trump are really showing their true colours. A naive part of me hopes the world will learn not to vote for this evil morons in the future, but I doubt it. Hearing that Fauci guy saying, what am I supposed to do, push him away from his mic? Yes, yes you should, you all should, you spineless cnuts working for Trump or Bolsonaro. How the feck are advanced modern countries being lead by idiots who somehow should be placated into not doing too much damage. Kick them the feck out.
I honestly think every country's chief medical officer should be leading all national briefings, with the head of state standing by their side. Heads of state aren't senior doctors and they can't deliver a message of this sort in the way a doctor can.

The president or prime minister should just be saying encouraging words and telling everyone to listen to their country's medical experts.

I honestly think every country's chief medical officer should be leading all national briefings, with the head of state standing by their side. Heads of state aren't senior doctors and they can't deliver a message of this sort in the way a doctor can.

The president or prime minister should just be saying encouraging words and telling everyone to listen to their country's medical experts.
Agreed.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The MOT test is an odd one for me.

Garages are still open, and if you are going to be using your car at all then why can’t you take it to get it’s MOT? The whole point of the test is to ensure cars are roadworthy and safe, relaxing that requirement seems strange.

Smores

Garages are still open, and if you are going to be using your car at all then why can’t you take it to get it’s MOT? The whole point of the test is to ensure cars are roadworthy and safe, relaxing that requirement seems strange.
They're not saying you can't go get your car fixed or have it's MOT. It's just so people don't have to venture out to make sure it's still insured or go through the hassle of declaring it off road whilst you're isolating.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I just watch a moving documentary on BBC World - it's called WorkLife I think but not sure how it can be viewed online. The film tracks the lives of a few people in Wuhan during the onset of the spread of the virus. I recommend.

Looks like this is it:
Good video -- reminder that despite the difference in society, governments etc, people are people. We may look different but we are all the same -- going through our struggles, happiness, life goals etc no different anywhere else around the world.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
For the last fortnight it’s been painfully inevitable that not only will Britain and America suffer the worst but take things to a whole new level.

Our people are that stupid, that pigheaded and with an air of superiority. We think our two nations are different from everyone else. They soon will be but not in a way to be proud about.

Attitudes are improving, slowly, but it’s already too late. We’re gonna make Italians feel grateful they live there. This won’t be anywhere near done in three months now.
The funny thing is at work, lessons learnt from others is the best since its the cheapest way to learn.

And yet....

Nogbadthebad

I suspect its about practicality.

People are going to drive tot he garage and hang around for an hour while the MOT is done. Thats not what should happen, its what will happen.

Easier to just ignore them for a month or so.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Even now the measures they're taking are insane. If you fly in to China now, you get your temperature taken. If its high, you and the passengers around you get taken to official government quarantine. Everybody gets questioned multiple times about symptoms and recent travel. Everyone gets tested. Even if you don't have a fever, you have to stay in quarantine in your hotel or place of residence for 14 days (can't leave it at all).
From what I understood from my brother who just flew into Shanghai quarantine in your place of residence isn’t even an option. It is mandatory 14 days in the government hotel. Foreigners caught trying to escape it are immediately deported as well. Not sure what happens with a Chinese person caught breaking it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You can be 100% sure Trump is going to win elections anyway.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
From what I understood from my brother who just flew into Shanghai quarantine in your place of residence isn’t even an option. It is mandatory 14 days in the government hotel. Foreigners caught trying to escape it are immediately deported as well. Not sure what happens with a Chinese person caught breaking it.
Prison, probably. They don't treat anyone lightly.

Dan_F

MOTs are fine. I’ve got mine booked in for early next month. They said they are allowed to do anything urgent, such as brakes or MOTs. Things that can wait aren’t allowed.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sorry, this is from a Chinese national that I know, I should have said that in my post. I imagine the measures are different for non-Chinese like you said.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Dr Fauci is doing an incredible job in very difficult circumstances. If he pushes Trump away, then what? He gets fired and they probably bring in a spineless yes man to do his job instead. You have to strike a very difficult balance in these situations when dealing with people that, rightly or wrongly, are not going away.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I’ve seen..

I swear looking at this thread gives me more anxiety than anything else I read.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
... this does not seem a little suspicious to you.
If you're looking at numbers with very little information or without having done any reading on the situations of these countries for the past two months, you're going to have suspicions. It's one thing to have questions because you aren't fully informed, but it's quite another to come with full conspiracy hat on about dying testament of murdered doctors, and then go with look, the number don't look right to me when people question it.

Dante

Average bang
All three of them?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The onus is still on the driver of a vehicle to make sure a car is roadworthy before driving it. Cars don't suddenly become safe or unsafe because of an MOT.

Nogbadthebad

As we all sit here in confinement, think about this.

Just two weeks ago the government said it was comfortable that the Cheltenham festival went ahead, because large gatherings were not a risk.

Pagh Wraith

I have a question regarding that Oxford paper that claimed half the population may have had it already and herd immunity is already happening. It's an intriguing argument and quite plausible to me but if it were true, wouldn't that mean there must have been a lot of Covid-related deaths before March in Europe? And is it possible that these would have attributed to the seasonal flu because we didn't know what we were looking for at that point? Seems a bit of a stretch to me but I'm happy to be corrected by one of the doctors on here.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Just two weeks ago the government said it was comfortable that the Cheltenham festival went ahead, because large gatherings were not a risk.
Precisely. The government let it get to this point and is pointing the finger at the people and others are falling for this trap.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

That needs to be remembered for the inevitable inquiry afterwards. It was a shocking dereliction of their duty of care to the public.