SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Only 135 people who tested positive for this in the UK recovered (15%). I understand that's people who have been tested and are likely to be the elderly but it's still quite scary.
Those who have been tested are mostly those who have been in hospital so they would take longer to recover than most with mild symptoms

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I know you meant well, and I mean as well too. I'm just doing exactly as Government advised.

My sister works at UCL hospital and is tending to ventilated patients right now. I asked her advice hours before my flight, and she told me as per Ministry of Health, my requirement was work from home and isolation/distancing as other's UNTIL I noticed any symptoms, and then strict quarantine. I've read the website after I landed.

Forgive me for only listening/reading to official sources and not a person from internet who thinks he is a pigeon :)

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
feck Tommy Robinson and his lot. What a brave man. RIP
Quite. His four kids all medical professionals as well.

This country would've been utterly screwed long ago without the contribution of British South Asians to the NHS.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23440782/

It's quite well established that it does have at least some effect on a cold,
particularly for people carrying out intense exercise (and therefore having a depleted immune respone).

The Chinese study was something like 25,000mg daily given intravenously to Covid patients, so way beyond anything you would normally see.
The author concludes "The failure of vitamin C supplementation to reduce the incidence of colds in the general population indicates that routine vitamin C supplementation is not justified, yet vitamin C may be useful for people exposed to brief periods of severe physical exercise."

So when you say it does have some effect particularly for people carrying out intense exercise might it not be more accurate to say only for people carrying out intense exercise?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23440782/

It's quite well established that it does have at least some effect on a cold, particularly for people carrying out intense exercise (and therefore having a depleted immune respone).

The Chinese study was something like 25,000mg daily given intravenously to Covid patients, so way beyond anything you would normally see.
Look at the data, it's really not that effective.

Dante

Average bang
Only 135 people who tested positive for this in the UK recovered (15%). I understand that's people who have been tested and are likely to be the elderly but it's still quite scary.
The threshold for 'recovered' is that their tests return as negative. It doesn't take into account that some patients might feel absolutely fine despite still being positive.

And as you say, this figure only includes those who have previously been tested. Since we've only been testing serious cases, these patients will necessarily have been the ones with high viral loads. So it makes sense that it's taking a long time for the virus to clear their systems.

If you think about all the people who have never been tested because they had any serious symptoms to begin with, the real number of 'recovered' will probably be in the tens of thousands.

Withnail

I know you meant well, and I mean as well too. I'm just doing exactly as Government advised.

My sister works at UCL hospital and is tending to ventilated patients right now. I asked her advice before she came, and she told me as per Ministry of Health, my requirement was work from home and isolation/distancing as other's UNTIL I noticed any symptoms, and then strict quarantine. I've read the website after I landed.

Forgive me for only listening/reading to official sources and not a person from internet who thinks he is a pigeon :)
It's pretty much full lockdown so anyone coming back from abroad doesn't have to do anything different from regular folk now.

fergieisold

With the high blood pressure thing is it due to the medication or the condition? Seems to be very uncertain...pretty sure I've
Look at the breakdown from amount of tests and the amount of positive results, from both government and from decode. They are totally and utterly different. If there were many asymptotic cases, decode would have a "better" success rate. And I believe there are 20-50% asymptotic cases. Finnish government thinks there are 90-95% asymptotic, no way is that possible.

About 1% is positive for decode, and 14% for government. So totally skewed data.
Hang on I think we're talking at crossed purposes here. I'm just trying to highlight that based on their mass testing they have found more than 50% of cases are asymptomatic. So 20% is very unlikely.

F-Red

The interesting stats i can see today is around the deaths per million of population, the UK is one of the lower figures.The next few days will be critical.

Classical Mechanic

Just looking at some stats and it appears that Belgium had their first case a few days after the UK, they locked down really really early in terms of deaths but still have twice the deaths per capita as the UK, or am I missing something here?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
There are plenty of vaccines at various stages but the bottleneck for all will be clinical trials. Easily over a year before widely available.
I see, then I guess the next best thing is easy testing? The question is then that how far are we from developing a cheap affordable test that can be done with or without laboratory conditions. There's a company based in pune that claims to be capable of manufacturing screening kits for 1000 rs, thats like 10 pounds. Any news of cheaper kits?

F-Red

"were"

Do you see how annoying it is to be pedantic for no good reason?
Well if you want to get properly pedantic, was is actually the correct use of the term. I was talking about a statement of fact, rather than a subjunctive mood. However this thread isn't the place for educating.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

My sister works at UCL hospital and is tending to ventilated patients right now. I asked her advice hours before my flight, and she told me as per Ministry of Health, my requirement was work from home and isolation/distancing as other's UNTIL I noticed any symptoms, and then strict quarantine. I've read the website after I landed.

Do you need the government to tell you to wipe your bum too?

would common sense not tell you that it’s not a good idea to go straight into mingling with other people after a 14 hour flight back from Asia?

yes the advice is not down in writing but they are appealing to people to stay home unless absolutely necessary

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
New cases here in the UK seem to be going up rapidly over the last few days but nobody seems to mention it, up by around about 2000 today.

Dante

Average bang
Well if you want to get properly pedantic, was is actually the correct use of the term. I was talking about a statement of fact, rather than a subjunctive mood. However this thread isn't the place for educating.
You is right.

I stands corrected.

F-Red

New cases here in the UK seem to be going up rapidly over the last few days but nobody seems to mention it, up by around about 2000 today.
That could be attributed to the fact that more have been admitted and tested, the recovery rates will be the data point to read over the coming days in line with that case number.