SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
New cases here in the UK seem to be going up rapidly over the last few days but nobody seems to mention it, up by around about 2000 today.
The combination of exponential growth + more testing means it would be freakish if new cases weren't increasing rapidly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A total of 120,776 people have been tested for coronavirus in the UK as of 9am on March 28.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The curve was showing very small signs of starting to flatten. Then had a bump in last day.

They reckon it's because virus is picking up in centre/South of Italy so while North (original epicentre) slowing, rest of country kicking up.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
You're right, it isn't quite at the peak nor is it declining but it should soon. However I know people in here and the media will focus on the 10,000 deaths. I've been following the Italian situation so the numbers aren't really that surprising for the most part. I think it will reach 15k, maybe 20k unless the decline happens soon or happens suddenly.

Dante

Average bang
A total of 120,776 people have been tested for coronavirus in the UK as of 9am on March 28.
The DHSC tweet says 120,776 tests rather than people. That makes me think that at least some of those 120,776 were re-tests (which makes sense, given that we need to re-test in order to know when somebody is finally healthy).

But then the same tweet says that there were 17,089 positives. Should we be assuming that some of those positives also came from re-tests? Or have we had a grand total of 17.089 people with the disease? It's a little unclear.

EDIT:Scratch that. The official site says it's people.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I know you meant well, and I mean as well too. I'm just doing exactly as Government advised.

My sister works at UCL hospital and is tending to ventilated patients right now. I asked her advice hours before my flight, and she told me as per Ministry of Health, my requirement was work from home and isolation/distancing as other's UNTIL I noticed any symptoms, and then strict quarantine. I've read the website after I landed.

Forgive me for only listening/reading to official sources and not a person from internet who thinks he is a pigeon :)
I don't actually think I'm a pigeon you know, to base your entire argument on that is a bit daft. It's also daft to not use a bit of common sense when you can go two weeks without showing any symptoms. I know it's difficult for you to understand that because, as you've already asserted; you think I think I'm a bird.

It's EXTREMELY daft to get so uppity about the whole thing as well so I recommend you spend a couple of weeks thinking about why you're so defensive all the time on this forum. Preferably indoors and maintaining six feet of distance between you and others.

Six is the number after you've counted all the fingers one hand, just in case you're struggling. Again; I'm not an actual bird. Please try and remember that.

Ludens the Red

Not seen anything else he’s posted but based on what you’ve quoted how’s it even comparable? People from all countries have been advised to return home, I’ve seen many of my mates catching flights back from Bali and Australia - following governmental advice. People also have to go to the shop?
It’s more so him stating we need draconian measures etc, asking for manslaughter and premeditated murder charges, it was quite an emphatic stance to take. But then hes returned from a country that was put on the high risk and gone out shopping straight away. Wasnt anything to do with what you’ve said.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't actually think I'm a pigeon you know, to base your entire argument on that is a bit daft. It's also daft to not use a bit of common sense when you can go two weeks without showing any symptoms. I know it's difficult for you to understand that because, as you've already asserted; you think I think I'm a bird.

It's EXTREMELY daft to get so uppity about the whole thing as well so I recommend you spend a couple of weeks thinking about why you're so defensive all the time on this forum. Preferably indoors and maintaining six feet of distance between you and others.

Six is the number after you've counted all the fingers one hand, just in case you're struggling. Again; I'm not an actual bird. Please try and remember that.
Hello Birdman!

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Less tweeting. More posts please.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So 2 reasons why. I'm in USA but same applies UK or US.

We and you are too far ahead in transmission now. It's all in community. So identifying and isolating cases is not feasible in these numbers. Might as well general lockdown.

Even in the beginning their level of isolating identified cases would not be tolerated in either country imo. For example I know in S. Korea they used GPS to ensure isolation and monitor the quarantined people. That level of privacy invasion is difficult here or UK.

That's my take on it. Has been that way for a while.
The UK is one of the most heavily surveilled countries in the world and has been for years. 1000s of private companies have access to "personal" data like this:

South Korea were just more competent, prepared and proactive in dealing with the threat than the UK were, nothing to do with culture. Doubly so for the US.

mav_9me

that's very worrying and must be frustrating knowing that you can't really do anything to help. Are the patients able to feed and go to the bathroom or are they so ill that they are totally bedridden?
If you have a ventilator, you are completely sedated for comfort. You are in what's called in layman's terms "medically induced coma" . Can't do anything. Applies for pretty much everyone on vent. Some (very few) do ok without sedation and so can communicate and even participate in physical therapy. But that's once in a blue moon.

mav_9me

The UK is one of the most heavily surveilled countries in the world and has been for years. 1000s of private companies have access to "personal" data like this:

South Korea were just more competent, prepared and proactive in dealing with the threat than the UK were, nothing to do with culture. Doubly so for the US.
Maybe you are right. But this is general data and not person specific. I doubt in USA you can use for example my GPS to monitor where I'm going and enforce isolation.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Does anyone follow Dr John Campbell on youtube?
I used to, at the start, and I recommend him. Makes some mistakes (which he usually humbly acknowledges and corrects on the following day, after feedback from viewers). It's mostly a simple and quick way to get up to par with things every day, specially for laymen. I think he's objective, and most of his points are consensual. Only reason I don't watch him as much is because he doesn't add much to what I can already gather on my own.

A big plus is that he has been doing this for quite a while, was one of the earliest, not one of those guys that woke up to this two weeks ago.

BIGbadBOO4

I know we have not got numbers for everyone who has covid 19 but 1019 deaths from 17089 positives means nearly 6% death rate. That is seriously worrying.

The author concludes "The failure of vitamin C supplementation to reduce the incidence of colds in the general population indicates that routine vitamin C supplementation is not justified, yet vitamin C may be useful for people exposed to brief periods of severe physical exercise."

So when you say it does have some effect particularly for people carrying out intense exercise might it not be more accurate to say only for people carrying out intense exercise?
Its hardly a cure but the data is quite clear that in supplementation trial there is a small improvement for all people.

In adults the duration of colds was reduced by 8% (3% to 12%) and in children by 14% (7% to 21%)

The Firestarter

You...you don't ?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I know we have not got numbers for everyone who has covid 19 but 1019 deaths from 17089 positives means nearly 6% death rate. That is seriously worrying.
But fairly meaningless given the 17089 is almost certainly a small fraction of the actual number infected, and or course represents nearly all the most serious cases.

There are I suspect about 1m people who actually have the virus in the UK and the death rate will likely be about 1%.

mav_9me

OK. I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news is death rate in your example depends on denominator which is likely falsely low and would depend on how many you are testing.

Bad news is death rate does not matter much, because if you are unlucky enough to get it, while odds are you will do fine, if you are further unlucky to get sick enough to need mechanical ventilator not much can be done other than hope and wait.

Suedesi

Very likely that the Belgian lockdown will be extended until 3 May - announcement imminent apparently.

The parties once this will all be over are going to be ridiculous. Not sure that's a good thing.
Parties next year will be tempered by the mere thought of Covid-20

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I've always believed in ID, and having to carry it, but in normal non-virus times I know very few on the Caf would agree with me.
Portuguese ID cards are awesome. Almost impossible to hack and fake. If you lose your key codes, the only chance is to request a new card.

The chip is amazing. As a doctor, for example, I can use it to make electronic prescriptions on computers with a card reader. All that was needed was for our GMC equivalent to send the info to our government. It was such a complicated process a few years ago.

It's very confusing to me that there are countries where ID cards are not a thing. I mean, we live in a society with taxes, voting, etc. A proper and modern card using current technology makes all those things so much simpler. It replaces a shitload of documents, driver's license and passport being the noteworthy exceptions.

redshaw

It's still around a further 7k tested in UK, they're not testing more yet.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

:lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Maybe you are right. But this is general data and not person specific. I doubt in USA you can use for example my GPS to monitor where I'm going and enforce isolation.
The US has some of the fewest privacy constraints in the world and definitely hundreds, likely thousands of irrelevant marketing companies have that kind of information about you as an individual. Over two weeks your location data might be shared over 5,000 times and the depth of it is unimaginable.

That's genuinely irrelevant marketing companies. Of course the government could do it. It's just a choice about law enforcement approach, not about capabilities.

We'll never know what the US and UK would've done in that situation because they didn't respond to it as well as South Korea did. We should recognise their work was so successful simply because it was exceptionally executed. The main thing they had in their favour was previous experience with SARS. It's normal that people took it much more seriously with that being so prominent in recent memory.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Riots in Hubei after a police force in a neighbouring area wouldn't let the people from Hubei return to work in that province.