SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It’s obvious that a mask is going to help prevent infection. Purely because they’ll prevent you touching your nose and mouth when out and about.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not only is he misguided in his belief, but the absolute confidence he has while talking about said belief is astonishing. It’s like he never even, for one second, entertained the possibility that he was wrong. It’s scary that people who have no real authority on a subject, especially something that’s incredibly dangerous like this, can have such hubris when announcing their opinion to the world.

stevoc

Yeah if only it was still illegal for people to marry someone of the same gender or to have abortions then Northern Ireland would have been the only place on the planet completely unaffected by Covid19. feck me.

Being Irish it is in equal measure embarrassing and worrying that people like that hold positions of power in Northern Ireland.

Skills

Snitch
Not only is he misguided in his belief, but the absolute confidence he has while talking about said belief is astonishing. It’s like he never even, for one second, entertained the possibility that he was wrong. It’s scary that people who have no real authority on a subject, especially something that’s incredibly dangerous like this, can have such hubris when announcing their opinion to the world.
A friend of mine once said to me that you can bullshit your way through your entire life with a posh British accent.

It has an innate ability to polish a turd.

worldgonemad

Peston is a non-essential journo
I used to rate him, years ago as a political journo. Think hes become a caricature of his former self and also believes the previous hype about him.
Some of the questions being asked by journalists each evening have been cringe worthy. I seem to remember the day schools being closed one of them asking 'when will they open again' ffs its as though some of them seem to imagine there is a firm timetable for each action.

Maticmaker

I'm an atheist... I don't tell anyone what faith to have (or not have) and don't expect others to try and tell me what to believe in. In-laws are church going Christians, mate is a Muslim ... all good.

But, if there was a god (who is apparently all powerful and can do anything) and he felt a virus killing innocents was 'karma', I'd want no part of him anyway.

I doubt any rational believer in a god thinks like this guy though... who doesn't understand that in trying to bring people who may be 50/50 into their faith, his comments ("you reap what you sow") probably help drive them further away. Now that's ironic.
I excluded, or tried to exclude the Deity bit from my point.

In fact many people I know with whatever faith, tend to believe their idea of a Deity that can be vengeful and aggressive, as well as loving and forgiving, there are lots of examples in the Bible (there are other religious texts which are also available ).

My point is that with time on their hands many people will be tempted to expound all sorts of hypothesis, one such being the idea that something, Nature, or someone, God (if preferred). will be exercising control of the earths population... to perhaps avoid the apocalypse.

It is not about accepting or rejecting ideas of Deity (Good or Bad) its about in this case the linking of the results of abortion and a virulent virus pandemic in a particular hypothesis i.e. the supposition made as a basis for reasoning around population control.

It will not be the end of such hypothesis especially when social media gets going on such matters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This graph is useful to put COVID deaths in perspective (which is a debate that’s been going on in this thread). Yes, it is still a relatively small % of total deaths from all causes but that % is getting bigger all the time.

Not to mention, as @africanspur keeps saying, there’s a huge potential for unseen mortality as this distracts attention/resources from the usual, more mundane causes of death. Which could see their mortality increasing significantly while COVID hits its peak.

Ludens the Red

No apparently the government want to crush small businesses and there are death certificates being faked to say Covid-19. Also David Icke apparently said it's a conspiracy and his record is flawless so I'm sold.

The Illuminati would've gotten away with it as well if it wasn't for the Facebook huns who do their friends nails and call it a business.
:lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I got the kids to make some at home. Pretty smart they are too. Obviously not military standard but do the job for going to the shops etc...

Good job she got that sewing machine for xmas.
Very interesting. Thanks for that.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I excluded, or tried to exclude the Deity bit from my point.

In fact many people I know with whatever faith, tend to believe their idea of a Deity that can be vengeful and aggressive, as well as loving and forgiving, there are lots of examples in the Bible (there are other religious texts which are also available ).

My point is that with time on their hands many people will be tempted to expound all sorts of hypothesis, one such being the idea that something, Nature, or someone, God (if preferred). will be exercising control of the earths population... to perhaps avoid the apocalypse.

It is not about accepting or rejecting ideas of Deity (Good or Bad) its about in this case the linking of the results of abortion and a virulent virus pandemic in a particular hypothesis i.e. the supposition made as a basis for reasoning around population control.

It will not be the end of such hypothesis especially when social media gets going on such matters.
Thanks for detailed reply and I get the bit about vengeful god (OT is v clear on it).

If not clear, not having a go at you (or that minister exactly), just about the point about whether comments help bring people into faith(s) or hinder it. A good friend of my in-laws is a Baptist minister and I could talk to him all day... he's clear on his own views (understandably) but tries to be balanced and doesn't push me to have to believe anything. He's much more likely to have a positive impact on potential 'new recruits' as opposed to someone who tries to scare you into it.

All good.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m positive for Covid19 as of yesterday. I’ve been dealing with so many patients recently that any one of them may have given it to me. I’ve worn a (surgical) mask every single time I saw a patient, wore gloves, asked them to look the opposite direction while I take bloods from their arm.

I’m feeling pretty damn rough. The headache is nauseating and constant. The dry cough has become more frequent. I’ve bought a pulse oximetry device that should arrive today as that’s the best indicator of when you’re starting to go downhill.

Our hospital was about to abolish “specialities” from next week too. Everyone becomes a Covid doctor and assigned a random ward every week.
There was a meeting on Tuesday that I missed that said that the hospital are expecting 150 to a 1000 Covid patients to be admitted within the next month or so. Shits getting real in Wales (although the Newport area seems to be the worst hit in the UK going by “per capita” or something like that).
Oh Jesus mate. Rest up and take care.

PoTMS

I’m positive for Covid19 as of yesterday. I’ve been dealing with so many patients recently that any one of them may have given it to me. I’ve worn a (surgical) mask every single time I saw a patient, wore gloves, asked them to look the opposite direction while I take bloods from their arm.

I’m feeling pretty damn rough. The headache is nauseating and constant. The dry cough has become more frequent. I’ve bought a pulse oximetry device that should arrive today as that’s the best indicator of when you’re starting to go downhill.

Our hospital was about to abolish “specialities” from next week too. Everyone becomes a Covid doctor and assigned a random ward every week.
There was a meeting on Tuesday that I missed that said that the hospital are expecting 150 to a 1000 Covid patients to be admitted within the next month or so. Shits getting real in Wales (although the Newport area seems to be the worst hit in the UK going by “per capita” or something like that).
Take care of yourself, mate, and thank you for all you have done for our health service. Sending much love to you and your loved ones.

I dont understand. Are they after him because they think its all a hoax and he's behind it, or because they think he's the reason the US sat on it's hands for the first weeks?

NinjaFletch

I used to rate him, years ago as a political journo. Think hes become a caricature of his former self and also believes the previous hype about him.
Some of the questions being asked by journalists each evening have been cringe worthy. I seem to remember the day schools being closed one of them asking 'when will they open again' ffs its as though some of them seem to imagine there is a firm timetable for each action.
Unsurprisingly that was our Laura from the Beeb.

Shockingly out of her depth at the best of times.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I dont understand. Are they after him because they think its all a hoax and he's behind it, or because they think he's the reason the US sat on it's hands for the first weeks?
there are plenty of nutters
this guy derailed a train trying to crash it into a boat to uncover some alleged government conspiracy about CV19
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-01/man-charged-derailing-train-hospital-ship-mercy

the tin foil hat brigade will be out in full force in the USA and I believe given the spike in sales of guns and ammo they will be armed to the teeth as well - at the same time people facing bills of tens of thousands a day to be on a ventilator and gun shops being deemed essential whilst large scale religious gatherings being permitted in florida

Im certainly glad im not over there

UncleBob

It's going to be interesting to see Swedens numbers in the next few weeks..
They've only tested 1/5th of the amount of people that Norway have tested, and when you look at the amount of infected, deaths and people in serious condition it really doesn't paint a pretty picture.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They've only tested 1/5th of the amount of people that Norway have tested, and when you look at the amount of infected, deaths and people in serious condition it really doesn't paint a pretty picture.
they are pretty much keeping cafes etc open as well arent they - i guess essentially the heard immunity theory.
Would the smugness of cummings be worth it if it actually proved a better long term strategy than the lockdowns... probably but only just

The Firestarter

there are plenty of nutters
this guy derailed a train trying to crash it into a boat to uncover some alleged government conspiracy about CV19
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-01/man-charged-derailing-train-hospital-ship-mercy

the tin foil hat brigade will be out in full force in the USA and I believe given the spike in sales of guns and ammo they will be armed to the teeth as well - at the same time people facing bills of tens of thousands a day to be on a ventilator and gun shops being deemed essential whilst large scale religious gatherings being permitted in florida

Im certainly glad im not over there
He tried to crash into the Mercy because...."he had a snap"?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He tried to crash into the Mercy because...."he had a snap"?
yeah honestly full tin foil had stuff - trying to crash a train into a hospital boat

In his first interview with Los Angeles port police, Moreno acknowledged that he "did it," saying he was suspicious of the Mercy and believed it had an alternative purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, the affidavit states.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nally-derailed-train-near-usns-mercy-n1174461

OleBoiii

I think Sweden will be the hardest hit Nordic country by far. I mean, it already is, but it's going to get worse. Adjusted for population size, they have more than 3 times as many deaths as Norway.

It's a damn shame. I reckon the state epidemiologist will get fired after this.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
These UK numbers are looking pretty dire after the mild optimism of last week. Tracking to exceed Italy? Pretty sure Italy's death-toll had started to curve around now, the UK's seems to be taking a near vertical trajectory.

Full bodied red

Jeez....

Very, very Best of Luck.

Try to remember the hundreds of us on here who will be pulling for you....

FireballXL5

Just received my letter from the NHS telling me to stay put for 12 weeks as I'm in a high risk group (asthma).
I was hospitalised last July when my lungs gave out on me. The feeling of not being able to breathe was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.
Heed the warnings and do what you can to protect yourselves folks.

BootsyCollins

I think Sweden will be the hardest hit Nordic country by far. I mean, it already is, but it's going to get worse. Adjusted for population size, they have more than 3 times as many deaths as Norway.

I dont think he will. He dont decide anything here, he gives advice to the gouverment and they then decide what to do. Plus, he is very popular. As a norwegian living in Stockholm for the last ten years i was in the beginning of this angry and afraid since Norway shut down and Sweden stayed open, but not anymore. Dont know why to be honest, but thats my feeling.
Very sadly it has started to spread in hospitals and elderlyhomes, and the death toll will of-course rise from this.

On another note, when this all is over, it will be interesting to see if less people dies from other diseases than normal.
Like carbon disease f.ex.

I really just wish this will go away soon, even if thats not realistic, as i fear for people around me who are older and in risk zones.

And to @Hernandez - BFA and other caf members who are infected, i wish you all a speedy recovery and hope you doing good.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They're after him because his message undercuts Trump's propaganda that the virus is not a big deal and the economy need not suffer.

Foxbatt

Heads should roll if they have messed up. But I don't see anyone of importance resigning or getting sacked because of the fiasco they led.
Can anyone see any of the leaders resigning or anyone professional getting sacked because they fecked it?

Full bodied red

UK getting a lot of criticism for its testing but what's the story with France and Japan?

You know, I wouldn't even know where to go to get tested.

Our local hospital, I suppose.

But we're being instructed not to go there unless it's something which can't be cured / treated / sorted by something from the pharmacy, or unless we're actually taken there by the SAMU.

Both Frau FBR and myself are acutely aware that at our age and with us both having severely reduced immune systems from cancer treatment, catching COVID-19 is a virtual death sentence so even if I slip and break my leg or whatever, I guess I'll just have to grit my teeth like John Wayne would and wait until all this is finished before I'd even think of risking a visit to hospital.

Might be different in other towns and regions, of course.

UncleBob

It depends...They were always planning for this, Casualties > economic situation, where a decent number of deaths was acceptable.