SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fully Fledged

Yes. What was localised, has become more widespread. A much larger population of people being infected at a much slower rate. The fact the daily number of cases isn’t increasing is actually quite impressive.
It's the first step. That's all we can hope for at the moment small steps.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
So to test if you are positive/negative for Coronavirus requires a PCR test with a swab sample from the nasal cavity.

To test if you have antibodies (hence possible immunity to Coronavirus) requires an ELISA test, which is done from blood.
That is an antibody test to see if you have had it. It can't tell if you already have it.
At least you'll know that you are not a Westworld host.
Oh right, thanks for the info guys!

That looks bloody awful :(

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s very speculative. And evidently the BCG vaccine is doing feck all to help in the UK.
Yeah that's true. Spain stopped administering the vaccine in 1981 so presumably a large proportion of the population would still be vaccinated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because making an enemy of footballers will take some focus off the disastrous job the government have done on the whole.
But he was asked this question from the reporter. The health minister never brought up footballers, a journalist asked if he agrees its wrong and he just replied with everyone including premier league players should do their bit.

0le

Just you.
Well not just you but I would rather have a thumb prick test.
I'd prefer up my nose. I've had a gastro exam without any anesthetic or numbing and it wasn't so bad, so I can't imagine this would be either. Injection with needles on the other hand can hurt afterwards..

Fully Fledged

I'd prefer up my nose. I've had a gastro exam without any anesthetic or numbing and it wasn't so bad, so I can't imagine this would be either. Injection with needles on the other hand can hurt afterwards..
It's a pinprick though not a traditional injection.
More like a diabetes pinprick test.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Because people are trying to make themselves feel better that they voted for fecking the NHS over.
And also because some people in the NHS appreciate the community support in a trying time. For example:

Can I just say that I initially scoffed when I heard about the NHS clapping thing organised for tonight.

Hearing it tonight genuinely made me and my other half emotional. We've rarely felt valued in our jobs. Thanks to whoever did it. We joined in obviously, loved it.
Small gestures are helpful sometimes, even when they don't address the substantive issues.

fergieisold

144 hours? You sure? It took them 3 years in 2012 movie.
It seems less impressive since the UK just said...use existing structures and put hospitals in them. Chinese

Nah it's the usual sharemongering media bullshit.

Low death rate and those that succumb while it's unfortunate are, as usual, the old and infirm. It's no different to a bad flu.
At first I thought this but it’s now clearly worse. Though having said that no reason to panic!

Very unhelpfully it is now thought to spread before the infected are symptomatic.

We are at 2000 cases confirmed and 50 odd deaths. It doesn't look likely that this will be contained to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51254523
I don’t think anybody realised early on that we were fecked.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Feck me Jared Kushner is on the task force now. You would think he deserved a break after sorting the Middle East out.

Carolina Red

Staff
Feck me Jared Kushner is on the task force now. You would think he deserved a break after sorting the Middle East out.

I feel like there’s about a dozen people running the whole federal government right now. I know it’s not true, but he keeps recycling the same people into different positions. I’m surprised he hasn’t given his daughter a gig designing PPE.

NinjaFletch

And also because some people in the NHS appreciate the community support in a trying time. For example:

Small gestures are helpful sometimes, even when they don't address the substantive issues.
I'm not sure anyone's saying otherwise? Just that we could have done a damn sight better than 'small gestures' and make NHS actually feel valued in their jobs.

What substantially annoys me about it is that it's happening at a time when the public are simultaneously hugely positive about the Conservatives handling of this crisis in spite of their utter failure to support the NHS. I was being facetious and I know people's hearts are in the right place with it, but it seems hollow when people's support for the NHS and those working in it than banging a pot with a stick and who will be back at the ballot box in 4 years time to vote for a party again who are literally letting doctors die because of their uselessness.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My sister got briefed today on how to prioritise patients for ventilators and all round help. She's in bits.

I mean I won't go into details as we can all guess, but feck me the people who still don't think this is a real bad situation....
Not hard to imagine. Age and preexisting conditions being the main factors I'd imagine?

Darkhorsez

It is starting to look very worrisome. We were at 60+ deaths on Monday and we are already at 173. Almost tripled!
Not that it makes any better but there are multiple deaths in care centres for elderly. The trend in the next 10 days will be telling.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It is starting to look very worrisome. We were at 60+ deaths on Monday and we are already at 173. Almost tripled!
As it spreads to the rest of the country things will get worse. Some of the areas it's going to are chock full of people who would vote for Donald Trump if they could. They still don't believe this is real.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not hard to imagine. Age and preexisting conditions being the main factors I'd imagine?
I assume vice-versa. Young people without pre-existing conditions get favored treatment cause they have a higher likelihood of surviving. I think this is what happened in Lombardy, there were rumors that if you're over 60 and need a ventilator, you wouldn't get one.

On the other side, it seems that if you need a ventilator, then you kind of fecked anyway. From various data, the mortality rate was over 90% in China, to 48% in the UK. https://www.physiciansweekly.com/mortality-rate-of-covid-19-patients-on-ventilators/ (limited data in all cases).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I assume vice-versa. Young people without pre-existing conditions get favored treatment cause they have a higher likelihood of surviving. I think this is what happened in Lombardy, there were rumors that if you're over 60 and need a ventilator, you wouldn't get one.

On the other side, it seems that if you need a ventilator, then you kind of fecked anyway. From various data, the mortality rate was over 90% in China, to 48% in the UK. https://www.physiciansweekly.com/mortality-rate-of-covid-19-patients-on-ventilators/ (limited data in all cases).
That is what I meant the old and particularly the old with pre-existing conditions will be the first to be de-prioritised.