SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Balljy

Four doctors and three nurses in the UK have died so far. More than 50 in Italy. This is unacceptable. Scientists need to quickly figure out if it's a massive first dose which is dangerous, or if it is prolonged exposure to the virus which is the killer. If it's the latter, longer off-duty times between shifts need to be implemented.
There are around 700,000 doctors or nurses in the UK so make up approximately 1% of the population. Considering they would be high risk in terms of contracting the virus the mortality rate (unfortunately) would appear to not suggest anything too untoward.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Here are those pesky journalists again asking those nasty questions.

Ady87

Sorry mate, it feels like every other post I make references my job or the area I live so I sometimes try and avoid it.

The lady in critical condition lives in Stockport, not sure what hospital she is in. The younger lad lives in Cheshire and is in Whiston Hospital.
The lady that was critical when I posted this died this evening. My sister has sent me a few of her Facebook status updates over a week ago when she was ill and couldn’t get through to anyone at 111 or her doctors. Really grim stuff. Feel bad for my nieces as it was there Nan and they’re only 4/5 themselves.

People I know from all over the Northwest seem to be springing up with this now.

Moiraine

This is horrible to see. Need more awareness in India. I realise this barbaric behaviour is driven by fear but still..
I would say more with anger and hatred than fear. Anger which is fed to them by their religious leaders. The society driven by religious fanatics, regardless of any religion is dangerous. I saw a video the other day two hindus Jumping on a wooden stick placed on the neck of a woman, absolutely horrible... The hatred and ignorance in certain parts of society goes deep to dangerous extents. In Pakistan today, a mob started attacking the police who tried to stop them from Friday prayers.

I really fear for the general public in case the outbreak gets out of hand. Death toll will be absolutely horrific. :(

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How the feck did Charlie recover so quickly?

Suedesi

I'm reading "wearing a mask can be useful, but wearing it incorrectly is not useful' crap over and over in this thread. It's a mask, it shouldn't be that hard to wear correctly.

Yale is going as far as recommending making your own mask if you have to.

Principal recs:
1) everyone should immediately begin wearing cloth masks in public,
2) The govt. should immediately use all available means to increase the supply of medical masks

The basis for their recommendation is simple: anything that combats the spread of the virus is absurdly valuable due to the resulting reduction in mortality risk (not to mention accelerating resumption of normal economic activity).

Just fecking wear one.

Paxi

I would say more with anger and hatred than fear. Anger which is fed to them by their religious leaders. The society driven by religious fanatics, regardless of any religion is dangerous. I saw a video the other day two hindus Jumping on a wooden stick placed on the neck of a woman, absolutely horrible... The hatred and ignorance in certain parts of society goes deep to dangerous extents. In Pakistan today, a mob started attacking the police who tried to stop them from Friday prayers.

I really fear for the general public in case the outbreak gets out of hand. Death toll will be absolutely horrific. :(

Didn't India have the most casualties during the spanish flu? I dread to think what could happen if this gets out of hand this time. It could be an absolute catastrophe. I know it already is in a sense but it could get so so much worse. Also I agree with the rest of your post, you seem to be more in the know in regards to india than me. I just seen the video on BBC and I was absolutely appalled. According to the bbc it was due to the stigma of potentially being infected so that's why I said fear but I'll take your word for it.

Enigma_87

You know who
Coronaidiots

You can be infected and totally asymptomatic right now. Act as if you're infected. Your mask protects me. My mask protects you. Period.
That is absolute and utter tripe mate. I'm sorry but it is.

There are many types of masks on the market and most of them do feck all to protect you as they do not stop you inhaling droplets with the virus.

Are you a doctor? What is the scientific proof that masks protects you? Why the WHO doesn't recommend healthy persons to wear masks?

Masks with zero certifications, zero knowledge how they are made and if the person that made them is infected or not are sold on the market.

You have the Netherlands moving back millions of masks that were proven to do feck all and sent it back to China.

You might as well put your hand on your mouth when you cough and it will do the same job as 90% of the masks out there.

All people touch their face much more often with masks on, because they have to either correct it, take it off, take it on, change it (most of the masks only last for an hour or two) and that builds bacteria and viruses right on their faces.

Hansa

Was googling for those stats just an hour ago. It's insanely heartbreaking that people, some with families and dependents, are being asked to go into work which could be more deadly than a war zone, with no PPE. Looked at r/nursing where one sub was about nurses resigning because of a lack of PPE and exhaustion, which is horrifying and understandable in equal measures
Yes, these aren't soldiers who signed up to become martyrs. They got their education in the hope of saving lives, but right now they're let down by the people in charge. No scuba diver is forced to go into an unsafe wreckage to save people, nor will ambulance workers enter a dangerous neighbourhood without police protection. This needs to be dealt with - now - before nurses around the work start smelling the coffee and walk out.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Why are "experts" humming and hawing about the effectiveness of face masks for the last month before deciding "Yeah, they're probably good."

It covers your nose and mouth. How can it not be good exactly?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Sorry mate, it feels like every other post I make references my job or the area I live so I sometimes try and avoid it.

The lady in critical condition lives in Stockport, not sure what hospital she is in. The younger lad lives in Cheshire and is in Whiston Hospital.
I'm sorry for your family's loss :(

Skills

Snitch
Trump blames Obama for lack of pandemic prep
Pressed by a reporter over why the US was not more prepared for the pandemic, Mr Trump blamed the Obama administration, saying "the shelves were empty, we had no ammunition or medical supplies".
He also claimed he inherited "broken" tests, though it is unclear what he meant as the previous administration would not have developed such tests.
"I always knew that pandemics are one of the worst things that could happen," Mr Trump said.

This guy :lol:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
That is absolute and utter tripe mate. I'm sorry but it is.

There are many types of masks on the market and most of them do feck all to protect you as they do not stop you inhaling droplets with the virus.

Are you a doctor? What is the scientific proof that masks protects you? Why the WHO doesn't recommend healthy persons to wear masks?

Masks with zero certifications, zero knowledge how they are made and if the person that made them is infected or not are sold on the market.

You have the Netherlands moving back millions of masks that were proven to do feck all and sent it back to China.

You might as well put your hand on your mouth when you cough and it will do the same job as 90% of the masks out there.

All people touch their face much more often with masks on, because they have to either correct it, take it off, take it on, change it (most of the masks only last for an hour or two) and that builds bacteria and viruses right on their faces.
I think you're being a bit harsh on him there.

Even a crappy mask will stop some droplets from flying out and potentially infecting those around you. And that's useful because there seem to be a lot of people who are unable to cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze, even in public.

Hansa

There are around 700,000 doctors or nurses in the UK so make up approximately 1% of the population. Considering they would be high risk in terms of contracting the virus the mortality rate (unfortunately) would appear to not suggest anything too untoward.
The key here is the age of many of them. Alright, a 65-year-old doctor might have increased risk, but when people in their thirties - way outside the risk group - start dropping, something must be done.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why are "experts" humming and hawing about the effectiveness of face masks for the last month before deciding "Yeah, they're probably good."

The main point being made has been that they likely make very little difference in protecting you from infection and there has been a worldwide shortage for medical staff so people hoarding them was doing more harm than good.

jeff_goldblum

How the feck did Charlie recover so quickly?
A lifetime of the best food, living conditions and healthcare that money can buy will likely mean he's in a far better condition to fight off a virus than the average person his age. Up my way you'd be hard pressed to find a guy his age whose working life didn't involve a few lungfuls of coal dust or asbestos.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

If it's a bit of breathable cloth covering you mouth and nose, it'll not stop tiny particles.

If someone who is infected sneezes or coughs on you, you've got a moist bit of cloth with a billion germs on it strapped to your face.

Keeping your distance from others and not touching you face is far, far, far more effective. There's a danger that people will think a cheap surgical mask allows you to mingle and interact as they have been pre Covid.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm reading "wearing a mask can be useful, but wearing it incorrectly is not useful' crap over and over in this thread. It's a mask, it shouldn't be that hard to wear correctly.

Just fecking wear one.
Yes, we should be encouraged to wear them, but people in west aren't idiots if they don't know how. An instructive communications by Government endorsed messengers is required asap. Eg: exactly how they did with 'how to properly wash hands with soap' at beginning of this crisis.

Unless educated properly, its very easy to make mistakes, making wearing one futile, and at worst, spread disease further.

Eg: It's very easy to not know which way around it should be and wear back to front, making it totally ineffective.
Eg: You need to ensure there are zero gaps on edges.
Eg: Let's say you are asymptomatic. hence your mask is full of covid19 virus. You take off mask and place on a public surface, or even at home on dining table, thus exposing others to it.
Eg: Some are only one-time-wear and require safe disposal asap; some may be cleaned, but using specific cleaning process.
Eg: As @Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær pointed out, they are uncomfortable to wear, and require adjusting to and practiced tolerance.

Am sure there are also many others I've not yet come across.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think you're being a bit harsh on him there.

Even a crappy mask will stop some droplets from flying out and potentially infecting those around you. And that's useful because there seem to be a lot of people who are unable to cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze, even in public.
Most of the masks out there - be it homemade or surgical - does not protect against “airborne” infectious agents so it will not prevent the wearer from being potentially contaminated by a virus such as the coronavirus.

This is actually scientifically proven and not even debatable. The size of the droplets that they actually stop make very little difference to you and also the person in front of you. When you sneeze 2 or 3 times into that mask and it builds moisture - the mask becomes unusable and even detrimental to your health. It builds up bacteria, dust and particles that penetrate on your face from the outside environment.

There is standards in those masks and even the FFP3 - which is the highest one - does not guarantee full protection to the person you sneeze at or the one that sneezes at you.

It creates a false sense of security that actually makes it even worse, along with other bacteria and viruses you might meet in the process.

Everything that impedes your breathing in hot summer and spring days will make it much more uncomfortable for you to do even basic stuff, let alone builds moustire a lot lot quicker making again those masks unusable.

Suedesi

I think the advice came from a good place, which was to discourage non frontline people from panic buying and hoarding.
I'm not having that. Official misinformation to the public is a great hazard.

You do NOT communicate in a disaster the following:

- Masks don't work
- Masks work, but only for HCW's

Revan

Assumptionman
So, how much do we think that China and Iran are lying about the number of infections/deaths? I assume that China is lying a lot, while Iran is totally lying.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm not having that. Official misinformation to the public is a great hazard.

You do NOT communicate in a disaster the following:

- Masks don't work
- Masks work, but only for HCW's
Well they did. And they did it to stop mass hoarding of a very limited supply at the time.

Not much you can do about that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Trump blames Obama for lack of pandemic prep
Pressed by a reporter over why the US was not more prepared for the pandemic, Mr Trump blamed the Obama administration, saying "the shelves were empty, we had no ammunition or medical supplies".
He also claimed he inherited "broken" tests, though it is unclear what he meant as the previous administration would not have developed such tests.
"I always knew that pandemics are one of the worst things that could happen," Mr Trump said.

This guy :lol:
https://khn.org/morning-breakout/ho...-obamas-team-eerily-mirrors-current-outbreak/

Obama's team literally prepared Trump for a pandemic

Enigma_87

You know who

Hansa

Fecking hell, 30.000 new cases and 1.300 dead today in the US. How much has this damned virus been bubbling under the surface over there? Ok, per capita they're still behind Italy and Spain, but this does not look promising.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
UK public are thick as feck to be fair. My daughter bought her 1st house today with her boyfriend and I took some of her stuff to her new home (I left it outside) as she had moved in with her aunty as she works in the care community and her mum is at risk with the 12 weeks letter etc. Was horrendous not being able to help her to get herself straight in her new home but driving there 3 times from ours there were people gathered around parks and you could tell how close they were.

You can blame the government also but feck me if natural selection exists then these dumb fecks would be in peril.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
These days, cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok or Kuala Lumpar don't have the pollution levels of China or India/Sub Continent.

In a sense, smog, SARS, covid19 etc are one of the same thing: external pollutants that make you ill. I guess mask wearing across Asia is something that hss happened for various reasons over a period of time.

But as pointed out by many, it's now become an educated and culturally acceptable solution. I've even saw fashionable hipster types wearing 'designer' masks, which complimented their clothing style on my most recent trip!
Yeah I was going to say historically and was thinking more Beijing and Shanghai tbh. Apart from the white out ruining your photos at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong, never had any particular pollution issues in Asia.

Moiraine

Didn't India have the most casualties during the spanish flu? I dread to think what could happen if this gets out of hand this time. It could be an absolute catastrophe. I know it already is in a sense but it could get so so much worse. Also I agree with the rest of your post, you seem to be more in the know in regards to india than me. I just seen the video on BBC and I was absolutely appalled. According to the bbc it was due to the stigma of potentially being infected so that's why I said fear but I'll take your word for it.
This region need education and liberation, badly. More badly than a corona virus patient needs ventilator. People living and spending their entire lives on the footpaths of Mumbai. Lack of civic facilities, food....Its like a ticking time bomb.

I don’t even want to imagine what will happen in case of an outbreak. It is a horrible horrible thought. I hope there is a Vaccine sooner rather than later and made available to all parts of the world, especially densely populated areas.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
#MaskWars - war within the war.

It’s playing out exactly like movie ‘Contagion’ scripted it would.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So, how much do we think that China and Iran are lying about the number of infections/deaths? I assume that China is lying a lot, while Iran is totally lying.
Dunno about China, but I don’t think Iranian authorities are necessarily lying, just they’ve been so completely overwhelmed by what’s happened that they are really struggling to get a grasp of the true magnitude of their crisis.

Btw I think what’s happened in certain other countries since the virus exploded across Iran provides a good perspective on the nature of the Iranian approach. Many people who were a bit shocked by Tehran’s seemingly bungled initial response might be feeling a bit chastened by subsequent developments elsewhere (I include myself in that).

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, but it is yet to be proven how much time the virus can survive on surfaces and especially damp and wet ones. It is still very early to conclude how much days/hours it lives there and generally many countries have blocked the import of goods from China.

Of course loads of tests and masks are distributed from there, but usually in controlled batches and from the governments itself. As a personal user I wouldn't advice anyone to order masks now for himself from some random manufacturer, with dubious quality.

Paxi

A lifetime of the best food, living conditions and healthcare that money can buy will likely mean he's in a far better condition to fight off a virus than the average person his age. Up my way you'd be hard pressed to find a guy his age whose working life didn't involve a few lungfuls of coal dust or asbestos.
Yeah that's a good point. No wonder they all live to 100.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm sure the ones made of cloth can. The hospital style ones which seem to be made out of something a bit papery probably can't.
I was told that the test betweent the real proper mask and the fake ones is the burn test. Lighter will do.
Fake or inferior masks have a paper substitute.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The county my wife works in has the 3rd most ICU beds in the state and her hospital system has had to convert whole pediatric and medical surgical wings into extensions of the ICU.
I'm not sure how much our hospital system could expand in terms of equipment and space, but we have a new tower under construction that I'm sure they wish would be finished this month instead of December. In NC, like everywhere else, is that the urban-rural divide in health care is huge. The Triangle has about 750 ICU beds and could probably expand that significantly with all the ORs associated with the three major health systems. Most of eastern and western NC will have to go to Greenville or Charlotte/Winston-Salem to get ICU beds.

At least there's been a delay in cases flooding into hospitals in the non-NY/La/WA/MI states. It gives them time to prepare and convert/expand treatment areas. Duke was able to figure out ways to sterilize N95 masks for reuse.