SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
And so what in effect is happening, is that, and this is obviously a very cold way of looking at things, but what's happening is that the economy is potentially being destroyed to prolong the lives of a few by months.
You're shrugging your shoulders and going "ah well" to millions of people. By giving up on them we've lost our humanity but it's all good because we'd still be rich. Pretty disgraceful attitude to have in my opinion.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And so what in effect is happening, is that, and this is obviously a very cold way of looking at things, but what's happening is that the economy is potentially being destroyed to prolong the lives of a few by months.
Eugh, what a mindset. feck them they’re ill anyway. Tell that to not only people with underlying issues but the seemingly healthy people who are suffocating to death too. Take a feckin look at yourself and think how lucky you are that you’re not one of the statistics

Conor

The most concerning thing about this pandemic is how readily people will embrace authoritarianism.

As long as they feel good about themselves.
I too find it shocking that the majority of people are actively acting in other people's interest.

I’m actually with you on the outdoors thing. I honestly think that the chances of being infected by someone else walking nearby in a park are miniscule. And there’s a lot of hysteria on social media about people spending time outdoors that irritates me.

That said, you could argue that it’s a slippery slope. The more people continue hanging around in groups outdoors the less diligent they will get about the basics. Washing hands, being careful about sneezing etc Having this weird, shitty situation where you might get dirty looks for not crossing the road for avoiding someone helps keep the important stuff front and centre in everyone’s mind. So it’s a price worth paying.
Absolutely, I buy that argument, and maybe you cannot trust in humanity.

But still, things like this leave a sour taste for me:

"Asked whether sunbathing in public spaces was against the law, Matt Hancock said: "Sunbathing is against the rules that have been set out for important public health reasons."

He warned those who are flouting the guidance: "You are putting others' lives at risk and you are putting yourself in harm's way."
and then threatening:

"I don't want to have to take away exercise as a reason to leave home... if too many people are not following the rules.
I dun know man, I think it's going too far and verges on wankerish, it's losing sight of what you're trying to achieve and what you will need to do for month after month in order to save lives.

I agree with the new labour deputy leader who responded "It's alright for people who have got big houses and huge back gardens to say that.

"But actually if you're stuck in inadequate accommodation, you've got no back garden, you've got nowhere to go and you're all on top of each other, quite literally, then I think people should do social distancing and should keep their distance but also be reasonable and proportionate about that."

TheReligion

Abusive
Just been to get shopping for myself and mum in the UK. Utilised the early access for emergency workers for the first time which was great and let me get essential things I had been struggling to find in stock. Everyone inside was orderly, relaxed and keen to observe the rules. The staff were brilliant too and opened every single checkout to get us through quickly. One thing I couldn't get was small hand sanitiser though which was frustrating. Hopefully can find some this week.

One thing I did notice though was not one emergency worker was walking around wearing gloves, masks and whatever else whilst the queue outside of the general public had people kitted up like the were going in an ICU. Quite interesting really.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You're shrugging your shoulders and going "ah well" to millions of people. By giving up on them we've lost our humanity but it's all good because we'd still be rich. Pretty disgraceful attitude to have in my opinion.
I did say it was a cold way of looking at things, but in the back of mind I am looking more to the future that might become considerably more dimmer than it was before this for millions of children, of which I have two. I am thinking aloud, not necessarily advocating what I have hypothesized. It needs to be thought about in my opinion. It's got nothing to do with being rich, I am not rich, but has everything to do with hope for those who have only just started their lives.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
@Brwned in the Imperial modelling, what percentage of infected do they imagine require hospital attention and ICU attention?
They don't specify ICU attention but these are the figures for hospitalisation:

I'd imagine if they're using the early Chinese figures then they'd be using the same 5% ICU figure from this.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sky were doing a comparison of average daily deaths from previous years compared to this year and UK uptill yesterday was within the average daily death graphs. Spain was exceeding their daily death graphs. It would be interesting to do this for every country.
Even the daily death numbers in the UK are misleading.
Because they only count deaths in hospitals.

Even the daily death numbers in the UK are misleading.
Because they only count deaths in hospitals.
Aye, @Cardboard elk asked me earlier why the Swedish might be almost doubling their figures now and it’s because of that. If people die quickly at homes or nursing homes before getting diagnosed or receiving medical attention, the daily numbers are bound to be out and will require correction later.
I’m also sure some countries are counting deaths differently as to what constitutes death by covid-19 or death with covid-19.

Brwned

I totally agree that any death is a tragedy and we should do our utmost to preserve life. This is also not about wanting to go back to the pub or go to the cinema. I could quite easily shelve all those unimportant things.

This is about having a life to lead after this (which in turn will save thousands of lives in itself due to significantly more people being able to feed their kids) 60% of business will fail if this goes on longer than short term. Do you even consider what world that would leave us with?

I have 2 neices who will miss out on a significant part of their education. Do you understand the implications of this further down the line?

Does anyone really understand the mental health aspect?

It's all very well talking about funding an NHS, but if no one can pay tax then who is going to fund it? Another country who has the same problem?

People seem to think that without lockdown until there is a vaccine that this disease is going to kill millions. It's simply not true and never has been. Yes, you get isolated sad cases and I feel the greatest sympathy

At some point caution becomes counter productive and won't only fail to protect the NHS and save lives, but do the total opposite.
You're describing it as a choice with misplaced priorities. If you put aside the evidence that suggests it is not a choice, I can't quite understand the idea of misplaced priorities. Do you think the people in government now have typically put healthcare above the economy? Do you think they put people ahead of businesses more than previous governments?

They don't specify ICU attention but these are the figures for hospitalisation:

I'd imagine if they're using the early Chinese figures then they'd be using the same 5% ICU figure from this.
That’s not perfect data though is it?

I mean, I get why the are going on it as any data is often better than none.

Will they be updating that information soon with information from Europe?

Pagh Wraith

You're looking at it from the German perspective, but in reality the UK is in a different world on this.

The major concern is about overloading the healthcare system past its breaking point. The UK has 4,500 ICU beds, Germany has 24,500 beds. Based on a study in Wuhan, about 5% of cases require ICU beds, so Germany has the capacity to manage 490,000 typical cases (50x what they currently have) while the UK has the capacity to manage 90,000 typical cases (a little over double what they currently have). On top of that the UK has a shortage of PPE and testing capacity, leading to many more doctors ill or self-isolating and reducing the peak demand they can manage. The UK had no alternative because the infrastructure in place was dramatically inferior to Germany.

We already have hospitals urging people not to go there because they have severe resource shortages. On lockdown. Surely everyone could see that would be happening on a much wider scale if not for the lockdown. It wouldn't simply have been a few old people losing a few months of their lives. It's the healthcare system that's at risk.

If we had 25,000 ICU beds then we would be able to cope without a lockdown, as per this graph on the top-left from Imperial's modelling. Instead, because the ICU capacity is 5x lower, even with the most risky approach to suppression we will need to be in intermittent lockdown for 6 of the next 18 months, 1 month on, 2 months off.

Germany does have 25,000 ICU beds so they have more choice in that regard.
That number is up to 40,000 now.

Austria's curves look very promising. Higher number of recoveries than new infections for the first time yesterday: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/

Fully Fledged

Selfish, heartless bastards.
They don't give a feck about 5 year old kids dying on their own and having to be buried the same way or about nurses and doctors risking their lives in apocalyptic conditions. As long as they can have a day at the beach then all's fine in the world.
Calling them idiots is giving them an out. They aren't too thick to understand what is going on they just don't care. As long as it doesn't affect them personally why should their lives be disrupted.

nickm

That strikes me as an unlikely worst case scenario. But, look, I agree with the lockdown, but for how long can any country keep it up? I have left my house once, yesterday, for more than just walk in 3 weeks. I am lucky that I have a job which I can do in home office and is still needed, but thousands upon thousands do not. Even that worst case scenario could look acceptable if a lockdown continues and more and more people lose their jobs and the economy goes into a deep recession which necessitates years of recovery and all that comes with that scenario. In the end, the choice is going to come down to let people die or save people's livelihoods and not destroy lives the world over for years to come.
It was the imperial model without any of the distancing strategies to reduce infection rates so I’m not sure on what grounds of expertise you can call it an unlikely worst case scenario.

It’s also worth noting that based on Spanish flu data from 1918 I think, cities that locked down recovered faster economically than cities that did not so it suggests that the current lockdown approach is economically the best approach anyway.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I did say it was a cold way of looking at things, but in the back of mind I am looking more to the future that might become considerably more dimmer than it was before this for millions of children, of which I have two. I am thinking aloud, not necessarily advocating what I have hypothesized. It needs to be thought about in my opinion. It's got nothing to do with being rich, I am not rich, but has everything to do with hope for those who have only just started their lives.
Feel free to march over to your nearest hospital and tell the NHS staff and patients your perspective. Sorry, but that's a shocking attitude to have, like inherently selfish and despicable. I'm actually a bit astounded that you're rationlising your kids future as a reason to accept millions of people dying.

It’s also worth noting that based on Spanish flu data from 1918 I think, cities that locked down recovered faster economically than cities that did not so it suggests that the current lockdown approach is economically the best approach anyway.
Which cities locked down during the Spanish flu? I was under the impression that there were bans on some gatherings and some public places were closed; but it was nothing like the current coronavirus lockdowns as the focus everywhere was on the war effort.

It was the imperial model without any of the distancing strategies to reduce infection rates so I’m not sure on what grounds of expertise you can call it an unlikely worst case scenario.
"Unlikely worst case" is fair I'd say, and there's nothing wrong in going on worst case scenarios and then scaling back. Plenty of European data so far might be pointing to the amount of hospitalisations required for those infected with Covid-19 is much lower than those Chinese figures in the Imperial model.

fergieisold

She is. She's diluting the message making it look like it is one rule for them and one rule for everybody else. It gives the people travelling to the beach an excuse.
Furthermore she should have know how this would look and be played out in the media.
The rule is stupid though. She's not harmed anyone, people wanting to stay in their second homes isn't a problem for me.

Yes it's imperfect data. There's a reason you choose to focus on the imperfections.
There's a reason they are going on worst case, absolutely, it's the safest way.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/de...-Outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-COVID-19.pdf

Hopefully the rate of hospitalisation in the 80+ bracket is closer to accurate on the above, which would mean that Imperial vastly overrated the rate of hospitalisation. And considering how many cases go unnoticed, I'm desperately hoping all the percentages turn out to be even less than those. feck me I hope so.

The rule is stupid though. She's not harmed anyone, people wanting to stay in their second homes isn't a problem for me.
Ditto.

People are desperate to get pissed about anything right now, use some common sense about what to get angry about. BBQ at her mates with 15 others... get fecking angry.

Off to Summer house in a car, isolated from rest of World... no big deal.

Use the same standards for everyone.

Fully Fledged

Ask those in Southern Italy if people going from highly infected areas into areas with a lessened healthcare system to stay in their second homes is a problem or not.

Bojan11

I totally agree that any death is a tragedy and we should do our utmost to preserve life. This is also not about wanting to go back to the pub or go to the cinema. I could quite easily shelve all those unimportant things.

This is about having a life to lead after this (which in turn will save thousands of lives in itself due to significantly more people being able to feed their kids) 60% of business will fail if this goes on longer than short term. Do you even consider what world that would leave us with?

I have 2 neices who will miss out on a significant part of their education. Do you understand the implications of this further down the line?

Does anyone really understand the mental health aspect?

It's all very well talking about funding an NHS, but if no one can pay tax then who is going to fund it? Another country who has the same problem?

People seem to think that without lockdown until there is a vaccine that this disease is going to kill millions,l. It's simply not true and never has been. Yes, you get isolated sad cases and I feel the greatest sympathy

At some point caution becomes counter productive and won't only fail to protect the NHS and save lives, but do the total opposite.
I could give two shits about anyones education. People can recover from that. Just like the economy can recover. You know who can’t recover? The people dying. So that should be the main priority which is saving lives not your nieces education.

Nobody has even talked about going into lockdown until Vaccine comes. But reducing the number of cases is the priority and having a lockdown will help that.

You say it’s not about wanting to go back to the pub or cinema? Then what is it about? These are the businesses that you talking about that will struggle, but you don’t want to go there. So what is it?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ask those in Southern Italy if people going from highly infected areas into areas with a lessened healthcare system to stay in their second homes is a problem or not.
Hush with your facts. Won't someone think of those poor unfortunates who have to stay in just one of their multiple homes?

Brwned

There's a reason they are going on worst case, absolutely, it's the safest way.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/de...-Outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-COVID-19.pdf

Hopefully the rate of hospitalisation is closer to accurate on the above, which would mean that Imperial vastly overrated the rate of hospitalisation. feck me I hope so.
What we know in the UK currently is there are 41,903 confirmed cases in hospitals, and at least 2,249 critical cases. So 5.3% of those hospitalised go to critical care. Of those 2,249, 1,559 are in critical care. The UK only has the capacity for 3x that so without the lockdown it's hard to see how the healthcare system wouldn't have been overloaded, which is what has the serious knock-on effects and the spike in deaths. Nurses aren't saying they're already on their knees for nothing.

And your report also points to 4% of cases going to ICU, which is the key focus in the Imperial modelling. The UK aren't worried about hospital capacity they're worried about ICU capacity.

Last edited:

Dans

Feel free to march over to your nearest hospital and tell the NHS staff and patients your perspective. Sorry, but that's a shocking attitude to have, like inherently selfish and despicable. I'm actually a bit astounded that you're rationlising your kids future as a reason to accept millions of people dying.
Like I said, I am playing devils advocate here.

I am worried that there might not be much of a world after this if we remain in lockdown too long. It's a hard choice, I know, but plunge many more millions into poverty than would die of the virus might be a long term better outcome.

The rule isn't stupid. The rule is to prevent the further spread of the disease between regions. Look what happened in Italy, and to a lesser extent in Spain when every fecker ran for their bolt holes.
If they ran and stayed in their bolt holes, away from everyone and isolated. Yes, it's stupid.

If they fled to hang out in another smaller town around their population... not stupid.

Smores

I won't tar everyone who gives such opinions with the same brush but from the facebook idiots i know it seems to be people who are just bored of the lockdown. Which yeah great you're bored so let people die. Individualistic a-holes.

It also appears to be the brexiteers/anti climate change folk who are suddenly oh so concerned with their children's future and the economy.

redshaw

Spain

6023 new cases, total 130759
674 deaths, 12418 total

Deaths haven't been this low for about 10 days, and two weeks for cases so perhaps a real sign of a drop but it's weekend and things can increase in other regions in Spain

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I can understand it from both opinions, but worst case scenario, if one of her family did have Covid she'd be taking it to possibly an area that:

1. Wasn't infected before she travelled there.
2. Doesn't have the same hospital infrastucture and so would struggle badly with an outbreak.

From her perspective leaving the city would enable her to better protect her family, with the added bonus of being able to go somewhere they could relax in. Which would be good from her mental state.

But you can't be a top government official ordering the entire population to follow rules and then break them yourself a few days later.

cyberman

Ditto.

People are desperate to get pissed about anything right now, use some common sense about what to get angry about. BBQ at her mates with 15 others... get fecking angry.

Off to Summer house in a car, isolated from rest of World... no big deal.

Use the same standards for everyone.
Dont fecking travel! Its the one guarenteed way to spread the virus to less affected areas.
Im sure residents of that areas would tell her to stay away

Dans

It also appears to be the brexiteers/anti climate change folk who are suddenly oh so concerned with their children's future and the economy.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I am neither.