SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

An island with as much international travel as anyone, and we aren't overtaking them at all, we are on the same path.
Yup.

I think when the dust settles in 6 months or so, most countries will have suffered plenty of loss. The ones who suffer the worst will be the poorer countries and the one who let their health services get annihilated.

yes we did
How do you know that?

How many infected in UK on 9th March when Italy shut down the country?

If you shut down then, how do you know you wouldn’t have had as many cases and deaths now? Italy has still barely slowed down over one month since then.

And what’s stopping you getting large numbers of deaths again after lockdown?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sanchez earning 600m £/w is more important

But why though I dont perceive them as being like the us media. Ours love a scandal dont they, but nothing seems to be being reported. Even the huge death rates are being played down by the media. Could be collective de sensitivisation to it all.
In what way? The coverage of the UK death toll is everywhere. Lots of tragic individual cases, deaths of nurses etc being highlighted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is assuming of course that you are taking many other countries numbers at face value, and don't factor in that other than Germany the other big European countries have as yet a higher percentage than the UK.
I have to say that your figures are surprising. you have more hospital deaths in 24h than France ever had and in terms of hospital deaths you have overtaken France today with 8598 for France and 8958 for the UK.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No one even talks about Hancock promising 100,000 tests or Boris Johnson promising mass testing again.
The press in the country have been a disgrace for years now but this episode has taken the cake.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Wummy should also ask himself why the French numbers are so horrific when they went into lockdown just 8 days after Italy?
I really don’t think many countries had the headstart people believe they had.
I don’t really get what you’re saying.
Countries that went into lockdown have clearly been able to flatten the curve. That is obvious.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why would there be backlash here @C'est Moi Cantona at this point?

First off the government don’t run the show on this, the Health Ministry do. The government are focused instead on crises package money, huge paid sick leave etc etc.

We are well informed that there are only two ways out of this and one of them is 12 months minimum away.

I still think people are really struggling to understand that lots of people are going to die over the next 6-12 months, everywhere, it’s awful but it’s a fact. Lockdown’s might slow it in some places although with 4000 cases in again in Italy
today, I think some countries shut the barn door long after the horse had bolted, and people are just passing it around apartment blocks instead.
But after lockdowns, deaths and cases will rise again, that is inevitable.

If Sweden can get through the next 6 months like this, and our restrictions are plausible for that, whilst learning lessons along the way, they will have done “well”.

I can also tell you that Sweden’s regular “death stats” for March and April have hardly differed so far despite Covid-19.

I can also confirm once again that since we started social distancing measures in mid-March the flu and winter tummy bug have dropped off a cliff so what we’re doing is working, even whilst society still functions. Not remotely like normal, but still...

We’re likely to have extremely high “immunity” numbers in Stockholm due to schools remaining open, something that has this week been backed up with a published paper from the UK. Sadly I was hoping they’d give us a percentage figure on this today but they want more information from blood doners etc first so it’s probably two weeks away.
The Health Ministry believe we’ve flattened the curve in Stockholm, as long as we get through Easter.

But maybe compare Sweden to Belgium or Holland and ask about their backlash? Or many many many other locked down countries that are doing miles worse than Sweden.

The only “anger” here is how shit we are at protecting nursing homes, we have made an absolute mess of that.
Maybe it would be better to compare Sweden with other Scandinavian countries (with whom they share the climate and culture). Sweden has 870 deaths, Norway has 113 (only 13% deaths compared to Sweden in 52% as big population). Denmark has 247 deaths (28% deaths in 55% population). Adjusted per capita, for every Norwegian dying, 4 Swedish die. For every Dane dying, 2 Swedish die.

Furthermore, if we check today, there were 77 deaths in Sweden, 10 in Denmark and 5 in Norway. Not much data, but it does not look like Sweden is a week ahead of Norway and Denmark are a week, more like that they might have different curves.

Of course, at the end of the day, if they can manage to limit the daily deaths at only 50-100 day, it might be argued that it is a price worth paying. It would be just 18k-35k deaths per year (with many of those people dying anyway from other causes). But if it becomes worse, then it is a very serious problem, especially if they see their neighbours doing much better.

I don’t really get what you’re saying.
Countries that went into lockdown have clearly been able to flatten the curve. That is obvious.
4 weeks after lockdown Italy was still getting 5000 cases and 800 deaths.

So why do you think your numbers now should be better given the headstart? If you’d lockdown 4 weeks ago on 13th March you’d likely be getting the same numbers because the virus had come back from half term and had weeks to circulate around the UK.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No one even talks about Hancock promising 100,000 tests or Boris Johnson promising mass testing again.
The press in the country have been a disgrace for years now but this episode has taken the cake.
He mentioned the 100,000 tests earlier before going on to say that lots of tests have been organised for frontline NHS staff.

It was fairly cleverly worded as he introduced it with the 100k number before saying something vaguely positive about how many tests are sorted but it was clear as day it wasn’t 100k and obviously nobody is going to chase him on it.

The most annoying thing about these conferences is the 12 minute soap box questions the journos ask.

Revan

Assumptionman
An island with as much international travel as anyone, and we aren't overtaking them at all, we are on the same path.
Italy's peak was 919 deaths, the UK had today 980 deaths. The UK has a slightly higher population, so if we assume that today is UK's peak, then yes, it would be similar. If the increase in UK continues for another few days (and I believe that is gonna happen, considering the effects of lockdowns are not imminent) then it will become worse than Italy (probably tracking Spain adjusted per capita).

To be fair, Italy was hit first. The rest (especially the UK and France in Europe; and the US obviously) should and could have done much better. If in the end, they finish with more deaths (per capita) than Italy, while having 2 extra weeks to prepare, it is a total failure of their governments (add to that, Italy has a significantly older population than the UK, more people live with their parents, so their population in average is more prone to dying from covid-19)

Maybe it would be better to compare Sweden with other Scandinavian countries (with whom they share the climate and culture). Sweden has 870 deaths, Norway has 113 (only 13% deaths compared to Sweden in 52% as big population). Denmark has 247 deaths (28% deaths in 55% population). Adjusted per capita, for every Norwegian dying, 4 Swedish die. For every Dane dying, 2 Swedish die.

Furthermore, if we check today, there were 77 deaths in Sweden, 10 in Denmark and 5 in Norway. Not much data, but it does not look like Sweden is a week ahead of Norway and Denmark are a week, more like that they might have different curves.

Of course, at the end of the day, if they can manage to limit the daily deaths at only 50-100 day, it might be argued that it is a price worth paying. It would be just 18k-35k deaths per year (with many of those people dying anyway from other causes). But if it becomes worse, then it is a very serious problem, especially if they see their neighbours doing much better.
Obviously you can compare to Scandinavia @Revan but then I’d argue not to compare the most populous city that had half term in the Italy horror week and instead compare Gothenburg with Copenhagen and Oslo, cities that had half term earlier and similar populations.

49 deaths in Gothenburg state so far.

Just comparing all of Sweden to a neighbour is incredibly unscientific as we’ll never know how many infected all countries had when all kicked off in early March.
Might as well compare New York to Massachusetts.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
RAB with his notifications on the word “Sweden”

giggs-beckham

Clueless
In what way? The coverage of the UK death toll is everywhere. Lots of tragic individual cases, deaths of nurses etc being highlighted.
Ok not played down as such but it just seems it isnt so shocking anymore. Which I guess is natural as it's a more common thing as we progress its jus sad. I'm literally scared today I cant see a way out of this without a vaccine.

RAB with his notifications on the word “Sweden”
Can I do that. :drool:

Seriously though, there has been so much negative press regarding Sweden, completely ignoring how well we have done compared to say Belgium, Holland, Switzerland. Even fexking Trump is getting in on it, the cheek of the fuxker :lol:

But as I said above, even those comparisons are pointless as we’ll never ever know how countries infected rate looked when Italy kicked off.
Could quite easily be that Belgium had 10 times the infected Sweden did on 9th March.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
4 weeks after lockdown Italy was still getting 5000 cases and 800 deaths.

So why do you think your numbers now should be better given the headstart? If you’d lockdown 4 weeks ago on 13th March you’d likely be getting the same numbers because the virus had come back from half term and had weeks to circulate around the UK.
How many people do you think were coming back from half term in Italy?

shutting down clearly has an impact on the spread of the disease. Hence Italy now limiting transition.We should have shut down earlier, having Cheltenham, Stereophonics and Anfield marches was shambolic

Ludens the Red

How many people do you think were coming back from half term in Italy?

shutting down clearly has an impact on the spread of the disease. Hence Italy now limiting transition.We should have shut down earlier, having Cheltenham, Stereophonics and Anfield marches was shambolic
Yeah, if only Stereophonics didn’t perform in front of 5,000 people in Cardiff. The virus never would have spread this badly. Ah well, it’s all handbags and gladrags now anyway.

caid

Why would there be backlash here @C'est Moi Cantona at this point?

First off the government don’t run the show on this, the Health Ministry do. The government are focused instead on crises package money, huge paid sick leave etc etc.

We are well informed that there are only two ways out of this and one of them is 12 months minimum away.

I still think people are really struggling to understand that lots of people are going to die over the next 6-12 months, everywhere, it’s awful but it’s a fact. Lockdown’s might slow it in some places although with 4000 cases in again in Italy
today, I think some countries shut the barn door long after the horse had bolted, and people are just passing it around apartment blocks instead.
But after lockdowns, deaths and cases will rise again, that is inevitable.

If Sweden can get through the next 6 months like this, and our restrictions are plausible for that, whilst learning lessons along the way, they will have done “well”.

I can also tell you that Sweden’s regular “death stats” for March and April have hardly differed so far despite Covid-19.

I can also confirm once again that since we started social distancing measures in mid-March the flu and winter tummy bug have dropped off a cliff so what we’re doing is working, even whilst society still functions. Not remotely like normal, but still...

We’re likely to have extremely high “immunity” numbers in Stockholm due to schools remaining open, something that has this week been backed up with a published paper from the UK. Sadly I was hoping they’d give us a percentage figure on this today but they want more information from blood doners etc first so it’s probably two weeks away.
The Health Ministry believe we’ve flattened the curve in Stockholm, as long as we get through Easter.

But maybe compare Sweden to Belgium or Holland and ask about their backlash? Or many many many other locked down countries that are doing miles worse than Sweden.

The only “anger” here is how shit we are at protecting nursing homes, we have made an absolute mess of that.
I'm not sure Sweden is a great comparison for many countries. Correct me if i'm wrong but lots of parts of it are quite remote outside of some southern cities? Not a tourist hotspot like Spain and Italy or even Greece i would think.
I think every country is going to have to tailor their plan to their own people, culture and geography. Its hard to judge from the outside.
Ireland has been relatively careful. Made the same mistake as every other country of not preparing for this but between Brexit and a General Election i can symphatise that it was easy enough to be distracted. Our health system has been badly underfunded for a long time at this stage so if there is a flare up I don't expect it to cope easily or especially well. So it makes sense to play it safe at least initially. I'm happy enough with the recent decisions and won't hold it against the government (that we dont technically have atm) if the numbers turn. Its a danger but they've tried to minimise it as best they can seemingly.
Putting together a step by step guide of what precisly we need to do if (when) this situation comes up again should be a prioirty. Getting a signficiant stock of masks and other ppe equipment before they lift restrictions would be my hope at this stage.

rotherham_red

The key is confidence. We are going to have periods of working and staying at home most likely. People aren't really going to spend money just like that. Furthermore, many of the businesses that have closed won't reopen. Then you have weak monetary policy. I am not sure the downtown and recovery will be as long as 2008. Remember, we are coming from a low base. Even beofre the crisis, the US was the only OECD country growing at a decent pace and they were piling on debt like there's no tomorrow. Europe was barely grown, emerging markets too, had problems.
I hope you're right mate. Personally I thought that with the measures being put in place we'd be fine as long as we'd get over the worst of the pandemic within the 3 months as initially hoped for. But the last week or so has shown that might be an optimistic prediction at best.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hope you're right mate. Personally I thought that with the measures being put in place we'd be fine as long as we'd get over the worst of the pandemic within the 3 months as initially hoped for. But the last week or so has shown that might be an optimistic prediction at best.
3 months, not a chance.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
6 days to go from 50k to 100K deaths. Doubling worldwide each 6 days could mean that by the end of the month could be half a million deaths or more

Ludens the Red

A single music event like that infecting twenty people could be catastrophic down the line.
I just found it funny how you specifically mentioned the Stereophonics gig, even though five days earlier basically every football ground in the UK was full to the brim with people. But it was this one specific Stereophonics gig in Cardiff in front of 5,000 that was ‘catastrophic‘.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
They took one of my neighbours in an ambulance earlier. Since there are no cars on the road the ambulances are silent. I only noticed the light through the window. In the end they spent ages pressure washing the front of the door and their steps to the vehicle.

redshaw

What's the backlash been like against that in the UK, considering it was abandoned a couple of weeks in? I imagine people must be furious about it
UK went into lockdown on 23rd of March

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402
14th of March
"Herd immunity is not part of our action plan, but is a natural by-product of an epidemic. Our aims are to save lives, protect the most vulnerable, and relieve pressure on our NHS," he said. "

Lockdowns
UK was 335 deaths, France was at 342 deaths, Spain ~200. There's 1-2 days in from 200-300.

You could propose a country like UK France Spain lockdown at 5 deaths, 20 deaths, 50 deaths. In the end UK followed what others were doing and there was too much made of headlines.

Revan

Assumptionman
6 days to go from 50k to 100K deaths. Doubling worldwide each 6 days could mean that by the end of the month could be half a million deaths or more
It is probably much more than that. Large but poor countries like India, Bangladesh or Indonesia and many African countries might have significantly more deaths than officially confirmed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We're about to go into lockdown for the weekend. Announced just before midnight, everyone storms out to get a final bit of freedom, and now people are congregating en masse outside and fights are starting all over. Expert strategy for people to beat the shit out of each other and stay inside all weekend recovering.

Bad night in Istanbul?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
So the initial 3 week lockdown of the UK will end Monday, can't see any official statement with regards to extending it yet? Why would they leave it so late to announce an extension?

redshaw

I have to say that your figures are surprising. you have more hospital deaths in 24h than France ever had and in terms of hospital deaths you have overtaken France today with 8598 for France and 8958 for the UK.
Will be interesting to see the care home deaths for UK

France has 4599 care home deaths and 8958 hospital deaths. France has about 50% of care home deaths of the hospital deaths.

This article has a snapshot of care home deaths and is suggesting in the UK most deaths are in the hospitals as most people in care homes will be taken to hospital. That might not be the case in France and in Spain care homes were shockingly abandoned. France's lower hospital numbers might just be much less people in care homes taken to hospital and died there instead.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52196978

UK might have care home deaths in 4-10% range of hospital deaths but we''ll have to see in the coming weeks and months how this pans out.

Had France taken more perhaps the hospital deaths would be often in the 800-900 range or even 1000-1200+ range as France has had multiple combined 1300-1400 deaths in 24hr figures.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That would actually be a story though (although the paywall won’t allow me to find out). The Guardian didn’t cover any of that last night and entirely focussed on him nipping over to provide supplies for his parents.

The second homes issue is tricky in a lot of cases because a lot of second homes are used for business and are essentially workplaces, as opposed to leisure. I’d fully expect many people leading the country currently to be splitting time between their home area and a location closer to Westminster. This is different to the Scottish Chief Medical Officer who was clearly visiting her second home for leisure purposes and no business.

We currently have thousands of NHS, social
care and other staff who are not living at their ordinary home address
He told people specifically not to visit elderly relatives then drove 40 miles to do just that. Politicians should know better. And the second incident shows utter contempt for ordinary people. You advise everyone to stay put then you stay put rather than head to the country for Easter. Not like he will be meeting constituents F2F. And NHS workers staying somewhere to do their job isn't equivalent as he had no justifiable need to travel.

Similar issues in Australia have resulted in fines and resignation.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/12141532

thebelfastboy

Oh, they are.
I hope so.

Difficult to strike the right balance between -
A: factual reporting
B: asking the right questions of the right people
C: unnecessarily creating worry/panic with the public.

It really just seems to me that the reporting ethos has taken a different direction.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It is probably much more than that. Large but poor countries like India, Bangladesh or Indonesia and many African countries might have significantly more deaths than officially confirmed.
I think you need to get off your high horse and stop claiming that poorer countries are under reporting deaths.

They are facing the same challenges richer countries do in terms of testing not being available to everyone and shortage of ppe equipment to physicians because richer countries are competing for the same commodities.

If they can't track the death toll, the errors are going to be in proportion to elsewhere and not higher just because they're poor.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think you need to get off your high horse and stop claiming that poorer countries are under reporting deaths.

They are facing the same challenges richer countries do in terms of testing not being available to everyone and shortage of ppe equipment to physicians because richer countries are competing for the same commodities.

If they can't track the death toll, the errors are going to be in proportion to elsewhere and not higher just because they're poor.
Of course they are. Little or no testing and poor data collecting are inevitable and then if medical facilities become overwhelmed it won't get better. So the errors won't be in proportion to developed nations.