SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Question for the doctors - we’ve been quarantining in the house for 5 weeks now but using our back garden which is made private with high fences all around. Apart from receiving deliveries to our doorstep we haven’t had any contact from anyone else.

May wife, the kids and i all seem to be getting a common cold; sniffles, sneezing, itchy throats and occasional cough.

how is it possible considering we haven’t been near anyone?
I would second the hayfever theory.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I would second the hayfever theory.
Wife doesn’t get hay fever, or the kids. At least they don’t traditionally. I do every year and my eyes water and sting but that’s not the case. It feels more like a common cold. I can feel my throat itching and getting sore. If it’s a cold, how is that possible if we aren’t meeting anyone else?

unless someone sneezed on my shopping deliveries but we’ve been Uber careful as I am on the ‘vulnerable’ list

Ady87

Sunak is on another planet compared to Boris, Raab, Hancock, Gove & Patel. I bet the Tories can’t believe they’ve got him. Answers the exact questions answered, knows his stuff, is honest or at least appears it. I’d have him in the hot seat immediately if I had a say!

2972 new infections in Italy, the lowest number in weeks!

602 deaths unfortunately which is an increase on yesterday.
It's good news but taken with a pinch of salt, tests yesterday were at their lowest level in weeks. We have capacity for double the amount but for whatever reason people were not requesting them. It was Easter, or maybe the cases really are not there.

ICU utilization also reduced by 75 which is another very positive figure. We are getting ever close to reducing the absolute number of active cases. Only 600 short today.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Question for the doctors - we’ve been quarantining in the house for 5 weeks now but using our back garden which is made private with high fences all around. Apart from receiving deliveries to our doorstep we haven’t had any contact from anyone else.

May wife, the kids and i all seem to be getting a common cold; sniffles, sneezing, itchy throats and occasional cough.

Lots of winter colds can be from being cooped up in the house too long and being exposed to consistently high levels of dust (even with regular cleaning). You may be experiencing the same due to being in the house so much.

As the weather warms we also open our windows more and accumulated dust can blow inside. This has been my experience anyway. I have a strong dust allergy but an ENT I saw once said almost everyone is allergic to dust on some level.

Heardy

Sunak is on another planet compared to Boris, Raab, Hancock, Gove & Patel. I bet the Tories can’t believe they’ve got him. Answers the exact questions answered, knows his stuff, is honest or at least appears it. I’d have him in the hot seat immediately if I had a say!
Agree with this entirely! He speaks very very and doesn't appear to swerve questions anywhere near how the others do! Would expect him to win a huge majority in a leadership race.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wife doesn’t get hay fever, or the kids. At least they don’t traditionally. I do every year and my eyes water and sting but that’s not the case. It feels more like a common cold. I can feel my throat itching and getting sore. If it’s a cold, how is that possible if we aren’t meeting anyone else?

unless someone sneezed on my shopping deliveries but we’ve been Uber careful as I am on the ‘vulnerable’ list
If you get hayfever then you’ll know whether that’s causing your symptoms or if you’re starting to get a cold. If the latter, sounds like you’ve been incredibly unlucky.

F-Red

Have you tried antihistamines? It's the easiest way to rule it out. If you're still experiencing the symptoms then you can rule out any allergies.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

What does being careful involve? I've been trying to avoid loose items in my orders and then (when possible) washing the packages/items with soap. I can still imagine some contamination slipping through.

JMack1234

I think that OBR report is going to make it practically impossible for the government to avoid publishing some sort of exit plan by the end of this week.

BootsyCollins

It doesn’t actually even make sense, I do wonder if it’s a case of now people in here just don’t like Regulus’ ’ways’ which I sort of get because he did become massively annoying in the Ole threads come to think of it.

But yeah if it’s not that then I’m confused as to why Sweden are supposedly getting it so wrong? .. based on the timeline of the general thread consensus and logical thinking.

- everyone was in agreement that the lockdown cannot last longer than a few months and that after full lockdown we needed to have measured social distancing.

Isn’t this exactly what Sweden are already doing? They’ve just skipped the full lockdown. Maybe they’ll do it later who knows? It’s not as if they’re in Belarus mode and casually acting as if nothing is happening.

- everyone said the full lockdown was to prevent health services being overrun and to get more testing measures/equipment .
Sweden’s is currently not being over run.

I struggle to see the point in comparing their current death numbers to nearby countries in full lockdown unless it gets completely ridiculous (Italy). At some point these countries will stop the lockdown and go into Sweden’s current partial lockdown and when that happens more people are unfortunately going to die than when these countries were in full lockdown. Correct?

The UK had to go into full immediate lockdown because our services would have been bent over if we didn’t. The countries are not even comparable when you consider our capital has about eight times as many millions in it as Sweden’s. Were a lot higher risk, not only because of the many more people but were a much more unhealthier nation.

There’s been a lot of talk that the lockdowns will be partially on and off for the foreseeable future. If that is the case why is it so imperative Sweden do it now? Why does everyone’s timeline have to be the same?

Yeah the Sweden debate has basically taken over the thread. It’s got to the point where it doesn’t even seem as if the debate is for the right reasons and the arguments are not even making sense or they’re moving goalposts and that’s from both sides.
This is a good post with good points.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
We won't develop herd immunity in 18 months unless we open up completely and allow thousands to die.
We will if restrictions are dropped by then. Remember the initial English model? No restrictions means much shorter timespan and a much much higher peak

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
UK Update now, I feel Rishi Sunak is the only person who will give answers properly and ones we can believe
He'll learn.
Probably when he has to find this 50 billion pounds for the furloughers!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We will if restrictions are dropped by then. Remember the initial English model? No restrictions means much shorter timespan and a much much higher peak
Yeah that was an absolutely disgusting policy though.

“Loads of people are going to die but let’s keep the economy bumping along”.

Domestic tourism will be much bigger this year. I don't know what kind of restrictions will be in place this summer but I think more people will go on holiday within their own country. I know people are gagging to go out all over Europe and a trip to the beach or wherever will be much sought after.
I'm already looking at places i can drive to this summer, despite having long vowed never to take my own car on any road south of Bologna. Everybody will just stay within their own shores and it could end up being quite a good summer for some businesses. People will be desperate to go anywhere they can.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How many new infections are happening in the UK?

TheReligion

Abusive
Agreed he's very very good

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He has a way of phrasing things so he seems both honest and reasonable, reminds me of Blair in that respect.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Heh, it's going to feck us up for a while, but it's probably the lesser of two evils here.
It's a superb scheme. I can't even imagine the carnage otherwise.

Businesses can expect a big increase on their tax for the foreseeable, but can't complain when some have been saved millions in wages and redundancies.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

I've been the same, I've hardly been out (more than you, but still always with a mask and only for a very short time), and I've had trouble with sore throats, sniffles etc. I've felt a bit lousy, too. I reckon being inside isn't good for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Here's a question, few days ago did one of the health ministers state that their rough estimate of people who have had the virus is close to the late teens?

If so, that can't be right surely?

Skills

Snitch
Bars is a no-no for me, people won’t be able to restrain themselves when the alcohol is flowing
I think you can manage them with better governance and bars/pubs will realise that's what they need to do to stay open. For example in a lot of eastern europe - there's a big table culture in bars and that might be in place for a while.

Obviously they'll make less money, the fewer people are in a bar. But with limiting capacity, the demand is also going to go up quite a bit. Drinks will be more expensive & they'll make more money from bigger profit margins.

redshaw

How many new infections are happening in the UK?
It's 5,252 today officially and about 4-5k a day.

We don't do enough testing but Italy and Spain have done quite a lot since the lockdown and are 150-200k total, UK should be in that range for total and you could say maybe 5-15k per day get infected if you could test way more in worst hit countries like UK Spain Italy France. Not sure what your question is, new infections officially or across 65 million per per week or per day?

massi83

It doesn’t actually even make sense, I do wonder if it’s a case of now people in here just don’t like Regulus’ ’ways’ which I sort of get because he did become massively annoying in the Ole threads come to think of it.

But yeah if it’s not that then I’m confused as to why Sweden are supposedly getting it so wrong? .. based on the timeline of the general thread consensus and logical thinking.

- everyone was in agreement that the lockdown cannot last longer than a few months and that after full lockdown we needed to have measured social distancing.

Isn’t this exactly what Sweden are already doing? They’ve just skipped the full lockdown. Maybe they’ll do it later who knows? It’s not as if they’re in Belarus mode and casually acting as if nothing is happening.

- everyone said the full lockdown was to prevent health services being overrun and to get more testing measures/equipment .
Sweden’s is currently not being over run.

I struggle to see the point in comparing their current death numbers to nearby countries in full lockdown unless it gets completely ridiculous (Italy). At some point these countries will stop the lockdown and go into Sweden’s current partial lockdown and when that happens more people are unfortunately going to die than when these countries were in full lockdown. Correct?

The UK had to go into full immediate lockdown because our services would have been bent over if we didn’t. The countries are not even comparable when you consider our capital has about eight times as many millions in it as Sweden’s. Were a lot higher risk, not only because of the many more people but were a much more unhealthier nation.

There’s been a lot of talk that the lockdowns will be partially on and off for the foreseeable future. If that is the case why is it so imperative Sweden do it now? Why does everyone’s timeline have to be the same?

Yeah the Sweden debate has basically taken over the thread. It’s got to the point where it doesn’t even seem as if the debate is for the right reasons and the arguments are not even making sense or they’re moving goalposts and that’s from both sides.
Agree with most of it. Just a slight correction, although I am sure everyone is rather bored with Nordic countries, Finland isn't in full lockdown. We can be outside as much as we want, we can go to hairdresser or massage, some of the gyms are open, shops are open, can meet up to 10 people, although most stick to 2-4. Schools are closed as well as restaurants, which can do take-away.

F-Red

I think you can manage them with better governance and bars/pubs will realise that's what they need to do to stay open.
It's a recipe for disaster by trying to open bars/pubs too soon. No infrastructure to check or monitor this governance either.

Ady87

He has a way of phrasing things so he seems both honest and reasonable, reminds me of Blair in that respect.
Seen quite a few Blair comparisons today and I’d have to agree.

I’ve been quickly pointed to his voting record which disappointingly throws up no surprises. That said, if I’m going to be governed by people with policies I disagree with, I’d rather the message be delivered the way Sunak sets about it.

Skills

Snitch
It's a recipe for disaster by trying to open bars/pubs too soon. No infrastructure to check or monitor this governance either.
Oh definitely not soon. I think they should be some of the last things to open with strict governance in place. But I don't think they're doomed till a vaccine is in place too.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Yeah that was an absolutely disgusting policy though.

“Loads of people are going to die but let’s keep the economy bumping along”.
I do not agree with the initial policy and I applauded when my own country introduced lockdown measures a month ago or so.

However, given the effects the lockdowns are already having on the economy and the society, I cannot see them being maintainable for long. I am now edging closer to a belief that it all depends on how soon the vaccine will be available. If it is by the end of the year, the lockdown (with changing intensity) approach may be viable.

The 18 months being mentioned? Riots, civil war, starvation, etc. The cure would be worse than the disease.

Also, "keep economy bumping along" does not mean only that the richer will be even richer. It also means that the poor won't starve. This is my main concern at the moment.

F-Red

Worrying that the UK is still not increasing tests on people, the number of tests is increasing but we're not seeing the people tested get out of 13-15k a day.

F-Red

Oh definitely not soon. I think they should be some of the last things to open with strict governance in place. But I don't think they're doomed till a vaccine is in place too.
I think the only way gatherings in public will happen will be with the digital health passport, it's the only way to work places like pubs/clubs i think.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think you can manage them with better governance and bars/pubs will realise that's what they need to do to stay open. For example in a lot of eastern europe - there's a big table culture in bars and that might be in place for a while.

Obviously they'll make less money, the fewer people are in a bar. But with limiting capacity, the demand is also going to go up quite a bit. Drinks will be more expensive & they'll make more money from bigger profit margins.
But people will still gravitate to each other when they’re drunk. There’s a lot of single, horny people out there missing their hookups! Dear god there must be some balls ready to burst!

golden_blunder

Staff

This is quite shocking. Although, to be fair, may be similar picture in other badly affected countries.
Surely that has to be deaths in care homes not being marked as Covid and ones where maybe someone has died of a heart attack Etc but was under duress by Covid?