SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

massi83

This is quite shocking. Although, to be fair, may be similar picture in other badly affected countries.
It is the same everywhere. Economist did a story on Bergamo already on 4.4. I would imagine almost all of them are from covid, hard to see how lockdown would increase deaths by that much in such a small amount of time.

Also that graph illustrates how extremely stupid the thought of "maybe 50% of the people already have it in UK" really is. But it will be mentioned many times again in this thread.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've been the same, I've hardly been out (more than you, but still always with a mask and only for a very short time), and I've had trouble with sore throats, sniffles etc. I've felt a bit lousy, too. I reckon being inside isn't good for us.
Same here. Probably breathing in stale air. Pollen probably not helping either, just because someone has never had hay fever doesn't mean they can't get it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We will if restrictions are dropped by then. Remember the initial English model? No restrictions means much shorter timespan and a much much higher peak
And thousands upon thousands of unnecessary deaths and complete chaos. No one will attempt that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Surely that has to be deaths in care homes not being marked as Covid and ones where maybe someone has died of a heart attack Etc but was under duress by Covid?
this is from 3 weeks ago, long before the mass graves in NY:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm already looking at places i can drive to this summer, despite having long vowed never to take my own car on any road south of Bologna. Everybody will just stay within their own shores and it could end up being quite a good summer for some businesses. People will be desperate to go anywhere they can.
Italy is full of beautiful places, I'd much rather take a holiday there than some of the depressing places in the UK.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This is quite shocking. Although, to be fair, may be similar picture in other badly affected countries.
This is exactly what I was fearing/expecting to see. There was no way that every CV death was being counted as such and the only way we are really going to get an idea of the impact is inferring it from data like this.

Unfortunately it’s going to be very difficult to counter balance it with infection rate data as we will probably never have the testing capacity to assess it accurately.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
But people will still gravitate to each other when they’re drunk. There’s a lot of single, horny people out there missing their hookups! Dear god there must be some balls ready to burst!
Not just singles chap, in dont live with my gf, i could enter a space hopper race

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Put it this way man. There's definitely some posters on here, nobody I'm specifically thinking of, but still, who WANT Sweden to fail.

Because if Sweden succeeds they've been talking shit for weeks and it'll make them wonder what exactly we've all been doing indoors for weeks on end. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying Sweden are going to succeed here - I hope to feck you do. But there are definitely people who want Sweden to fail and suffer 'like the rest of us'.
Succeed or fail, No other Country could handle this as Sweden have done.

1. 50% of Swedish dwellings have only one person living in them. (That’s frankly ridiculous)
2. The populace trusts the government.
3. The populace enacts what the government asks them to do.
4. CRUCIALLY - The government is 100% transparent.
5. Nearly everyone owns a bike (Over 70% I believe). Public transport can be swerved.

No other country I can think of has that balance of things in it’s favour. Sweden is also a very clean and hygienic place compared to many countries.

I’m not saying I agree. It feels very risky. But other countries looking at a potential success story there will have a rude awakening and another outbreak if they think it’s replicable.

GazTheLegend

Question for the doctors - we’ve been quarantining in the house for 5 weeks now but using our back garden which is made private with high fences all around. Apart from receiving deliveries to our doorstep we haven’t had any contact from anyone else.

May wife, the kids and i all seem to be getting a common cold; sniffles, sneezing, itchy throats and occasional cough.

how is it possible considering we haven’t been near anyone?
Hay fever!

Springs come in, lots of pollen in the air, fungus and whatnot

Your body responds the same way to pollen as it does to a virus - treats it as an invader and deals with it appropriately

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

I wonder how "Suspected-Covid" deaths are being counted in this.

My grandmother sadly died in her assisted living home a week ago and had her cause of death noted as pneumonia/suspected-Covid.

Now, I really doubt that her death was because of Covid - the symptoms she died of were ones that she had been suffering from for years, and there hasn't been a single case in the home/amongst the carers who were by her side 24 hours a day whilst she went through the worst of it. She may have died as a by-product of the pandemic (not being able to get hospital treatment/oxygen), but not directly.

Having been in contact with her doctor a lot over the last few months, I know that current procedure is to note any death that displays symptoms - no matter how likely - as suspected Covid if it's impossible to get them tested.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm already looking at places i can drive to this summer, despite having long vowed never to take my own car on any road south of Bologna. Everybody will just stay within their own shores and it could end up being quite a good summer for some businesses. People will be desperate to go anywhere they can.
Come to Marche, it's nice here.:)

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Also that graph illustrates how extremely stupid the thought of "maybe 50% of the people already have it in UK" really is. But it will be mentioned many times again in this thread.
Indeed. That was always based on extreme wishful thinking.

redshaw

Quite a surge in April.

Each country will have to look at the typical yearly and monthly average deaths and estimate the extra is covid19 related.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It is the same everywhere. Economist did a story on Bergamo already on 4.4. I would imagine almost all of them are from covid, hard to see how lockdown would increase deaths by that much in such a small amount of time.

Hehe. True.

Smores

Change my mind.
The Tories can't go down the path of UBI even if some in the party did happen to agree with it. It just won't happen as it flies in the face of too much of their public image.

arnie_ni

How would this basic income thing work? I don't understand how? Would people still goto work? Would those working get the same as those not working?
Minimum wage would need to increase massively or youd see most on minimum wage just stop working imo

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Minimum wage would need to increase massively or youd see most on minimum wage just stop working imo
So wouldn't the price of everything just go up and then everyone is knackered again anyway and we are back to square one? :lol: those on the basic income whinging it's not enough for their iPhone contracts, their sky TV, and their lavish lifestyles?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Change my mind.
And Sunak says how their approach is the best approach...

There is going to be a heavier knock on effect for the economy from his schemes because some businesses and people can't access the help they need now.

Smores

Wait are you under the impression that most on minimum wage are adverse to an increased monthly income?

arnie_ni

So wouldn't the price of everything just go up and then everyone is knackered again anyway and we are back to square one? :lol: those on the basic income whinging it's not enough for their iPhone contracts, their sky TV, and their lavish lifestyles?
I dont see why someone would work 30 hours a week for an extra couple of hundred pound a month.

Unless the idea is workers get ubi on top of their salary?

arnie_ni

Wait are you under the impression that most on minimum wage are adverse to an increased monthly income?
I dont see why someone would work 30 hours a week for an extra couple of hundred pound a month.

Unless the idea is workers get ubi on top of their salary?
I read an article that stated people that earn money would repay ubi through their monthly tax so i was under the impression that you only end up with ubi if you dont earn?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I read an article that stated people that earn money would repay ubi through their monthly tax so i was under the impression that you only end up with ubi if you dont earn?
So basically the same as it works now in the UK? The workers pay taxes which are used for the dole or whatever it's called these days?

Heardy

Is there an ELI5 explanation of universal basic income?

Is it simply - everyone gets cash of say £1500 per month and then people can work to get anything above the UBI? I assume it’s funded via a lowering of tax thresholds or increases to tax rates for those that choose to work?

arnie_ni

So basically the same as it works now in the UK? The workers pay taxes which are used for the dole or whatever it's called these days?
Im not sure how it would work in practice, i know nothing about it.

That post came across as a statement but it was more a question tbh..

It not something I've ever took the time to read because i dont think itl ever happen in the uk unless labour got in

arnie_ni

Is there an ELI5 explanation of universal basic income?

Is it simply - everyone gets cash of say £1500 per month and then people can work to get anything above the UBI? I assume it’s funded via a lowering of tax thresholds or increases to tax rates for those that choose to work?
So those that work for say minimum wage will be working for v.little?

Thats why i thought when i read about it (1 article) that a lot of people on min wage could or would just pack it in.

I couldn't imagine it being anywhere near 1500 either even though i know thats just a total random figure youve used

Smores

That's certainly not the standard idea that's just a bizzare concept. It's a no strings attached deal whether you work or not and whatever the means. The idea is it provides a better safety net for all but also reduces administrative burden.

It's also typically not proposed at a level where you'd want to live on it alone either.

arnie_ni

That's certainly not the standard idea that's just a bizzare concept. It's a no strings attached deal whether you work or not and whatever the means. The idea is it provides a better safety net for all but also reduces administrative burden.

It's also typically not proposed at a level where you'd want to live on it alone either.
Ive obviously mis read the article then, but surely workers have to pay for it through tax though?

Heardy

So those that work for say minimum wage will be working for v.little?

Thats why i thought when i read about it (1 article) that a lot of people on min wage could or would just pack it in.

I couldn't imagine it being anywhere near 1500 either even though i know thats just a total random figure youve used
yeah I plucked that figure out of nowhere.

I wouldn’t see minimum wage as next to nothing as assume it’d still be £9 an hour with little tax, with tax rates for those currently at 40% increasing so closer to 50%

Smores

Ive obviously mis read the article then, but surely workers have to pay for it through tax though?
There is a lot of different variations because it is fundamentally conceptual so you may not have misread it or the author was just using a variation to make a political point.

That said it inevitably ends up paid for by taxation but the left's version sees that tax burden being progressive and not paid for by minimum wage folk out of the tax band anyway.