SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

prateik

Exactly, there is some immunity for people who have had it, the question is the degree. There would be many more cases of people catching it twice were this not the case.
Well.. considering 2m out of 7500m+ have tested positive, the odds of the same person testing positive twice aren't that high.. a lot of the cases are probably asymptomatic.

I have no idea what the chances of reinfection are.... But even if there are 500 cases of people getting reinfected, probably shouldn't be ignored

massi83

How then it is a bit below that in Diamond Princess despite the extreme age shift there?

And why Iceland who has done more testing that any other country is at 0.45% (with just a few critical cases)?
Iceland median age 36.5, UK 40.5, Finland 42.5, Italy 45.5. Also just like Germany and S Korea, Iceland's numbers will probably rise. Having said that, obviously not everyone gets tested. But there is a real reason for Iceland's number in this moment, they are very young population.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Well.. considering 2m out of 7500m+ have tested positive, the odds of the same person testing positive twice aren't that high.. a lot of the cases are probably asymptomatic.

I have no idea what the chances of reinfection are.... But even if there are 500 cases of people getting reinfected, probably shouldn't be ignored
The people who have tested positive are most likely to be in hotspots, which is how they contracted the disease initially, so you are not comparing against 7500m+. There are also lots of people who are stuck in hospitals/care homes and have recovered, and haven't got the virus again while it is still prevalent around them.

Pagh Wraith

I don't see that happening. Here there is loose talk about reopening schools with the end of what would have been easter holidays. NRW, the most populated state, seems particularly eager to kick things off again. And this is Germany, I don't think Trump will hesitate for a second if other countries do it.
Saxony has already said schools are reopening next week for years 10 and 12 to allow them to prepare for their final exams.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't see that happening. Here there is loose talk about reopening schools with the end of what would have been easter holidays. NRW, the most populated state, seems particularly eager to kick things off again. And this is Germany, I don't think Trump will hesitate for a second if other countries do it.
Social distancing isn’t the same thing as the current lockdown. There are less intense versions we can implement, with varying degrees of keeping people apart. The lockdown can’t go on much longer, whatever happens. The economic cost is too high. But we’re heading into at least another year or two of social distancing IMO.

And if we can’t make a vaccine or post-infection immunity doesn’t last (which are both very possible outcomes) then we may have to change the way we interact with each other permanently. Because otherwise we’re relying on the virus mutating into a less virulent form, which is unlikely considering how efficiently it reproduces right now.

massi83

See below, they have said that due to the difficulty to culture the virus after the first 5 days (unless a patient is very sick), the test will only pick up a positive result for the first 5 days.
This doesn't mean that on AVERAGE it can be detected only for 5 days, like you claimed when I asked you. It means that mild cases are detected for 5 days, so average case is detected for a lot longer, just as I suspected.

massi83

You don’t need to be shedding “culturable virus” (i.e. intact, viable viruses) to have a positive PCR test, which identifies RNA fragments from the virus. All the available evidence shows that people who get infected will have a positive test long after the first 5 days. Even in mild cases.

You also need put your pregnant women prevalence in context. They have all been in and out of hospitals, in close proximity to HCWs and other patients. Also likely to have spend more than the average amount of time in GP waiting rooms. So you would expect them to be a hell of a lot more likely to get infected than the general population.
I told him this also already couple of days ago, but apparently because Swedish hospitals are so amazing, it wasn't possible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
0.60% of the Scottish population (5.5m) is about 33k. Scotland have about 6500 positive cases .

Not sure about the 100x math there..
5-10 times more .. about 1% infected.. likely.
Which is very close to the % quoted in a Danish study looking at blood donors. They came up with 1.5%.

My understanding is that this current wave is likely to end with 6.5% of the population infected (in the UK). Which means another 5-10 waves needed before herd immunity achieved without a vaccine.

And that’s only if immunity persists for a long time after infection. Which is a huge bloody “if” If not, we’re looking at cycles repeating once or twice per year, forever. Unless an effective long-lasting vaccine can be developed (another huge “if”)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
that can't be real.
I'm not so sure. The pic doesn't look very convincing, but then I read this article:
is in dire need of monetary donations and volunteers as demand on its food stock has doubled during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The food bank plans another mega drive thru food giveaway at the Alamodome on Friday, April 17th beginning at 10 a.m.

A large-scale food giveaway at Traders Village on the Southwest Side Thursday attracted 10,000 people in a single day. Aerial images shot by television news helicopters showed long lines of vehicles stacking up and made national headlines.
https://www.tpr.org/post/another-mega-drive-planned-after-10000-people-line-san-antonio-food-bank

Last edited:

massi83

I’m only passing on what was said here, not my own personal view as I have no expertise whatsoever as we all know full well.

Is the gold standard for testing not duplicating genetic material in the lab as claimed in SK @Pogue Mahone ? Isn’t that what a PCR is? So you’re saying she has this wrong?

Source for evidence of mild cases testing positive after 5 days?

As for pregnant women, the test finished approx one week after the random 2.5% result so they were expecting a result between 5-10% due to exponential growth so it was in line with that.
Dear god. The test took place 3 days after on weighted average. I told you so, you are giving missinformation here, as well as being annoying.

Fiskey

Which is very close to the % quoted in a Danish study looking at blood donors. They came up with 1.5%.

My understanding is that this current wave is likely to end with 6.5% of the population infected (in the UK). Which means another 5-10 waves needed before herd immunity achieved without a vaccine.

And that’s only if immunity persists for a long time after infection. Which is a huge bloody “if” If not, we’re looking at cycles repeating once or twice per year, forever. Unless an effective long-lasting vaccine can be developed (another huge “if”)
I agree with what you say, if we do the same thing. I think we'll have to at some point bite the bullet and allow it to transmit through the least at risk population quite quickly, as we won't be able to afford 5-10 periods of lockdown.

Given the difference in how it affects men and women, I imagine that could mean allowing men under 40 and women under 60 back to normal life, with greater restrictions on everyone else. I doubt that would be politically feasible though.

cyberman

Apparently theres studies that suggest that people who display little symptoms have few antibodies when they recover which means there is no herd immunity after all.
And God knows how bad it is if you get 2 or 3 infections. Each wave could erode our immune systems even further

fergieisold

0.60% of the Scottish population (5.5m) is about 33k. Scotland have about 6500 positive cases .

Not sure about the 100x math there..
5-10 times more .. about 1% infected.. likely.
I was accounting for the date of the testing - confirmed cases were about 100? Might be more than 100X based on that number. Puts the death rate close to the flu.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I agree with what you say, if we do the same thing. I think we'll have to at some point bite the bullet and allow it to transmit through the least at risk population quite quickly, as we won't be able to afford 5-10 periods of lockdown.

Given the difference in how it affects men and women, I imagine that could mean allowing men under 40 and women under 60 back to normal life, with greater restrictions on everyone else. I doubt that would be politically feasible though.
Believe it or not, the current UK policy is already intended to protect the most vulnerable. Yet we’re seeing thousands of people dying in care homes up and down the country. God help them if/when there’s a future cycle with even less of an effort made to minimise spread.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Apparently theres studies that suggest that people who display little symptoms have few antibodies when they recover which means there is no herd immunity after all.
And God knows how bad it is if you get 2 or 3 infections. Each wave could erode our immune systems even further
That’s another unknown. It’s actually much more likely that second and subsequent infections are less serious than the first. Although it’s not impossible that they get worse each time (which happens with Dengue fever).

If that does turn out to be the case - and we can’t develop an effective vaccine (which is not an unlikely outcome) - then we’re probably looking at humanity being wiped out completely.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That’s another unknown. It’s actually much more likely that second and subsequent infections are less serious than the first. Although it’s not impossible that they get worse each time (which happens with Dengue fever).

If that does turn out to be the case - and we can’t develop an effective vaccine - then we’re probably looking at humanity being wiped out completely.
oh that’s good then.

Fiskey

Believe it or not, the current UK policy is already intended to protect the most vulnerable. Yet we’re seeing thousands of people dying in care homes up and down the country. God help them if/when there’s a future cycle with even less of an effort made to minimise spread.
Its a horrible situation, but the only outcome in which loads of people don't die is if a vaccine is created. Bill Gates doesn't believe that will be for 18 months, and we can't afford to maintain the current situation for that long.

As soon as this virus made the jump to humans, the situation was always going to be awful. Its a really difficult problem to balance current deaths, near term death rates with healthcare capacity and then longer term economic problems.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If that does turn out to be the case - and we can’t develop an effective vaccine (which is not an unlikely outcome) - then we’re probably looking at humanity being wiped out completely.
I have read a lot of fear mongering on the topic, but this one takes the cake. Humanity was not wiped out by the plague, it will not get wiped out by this.

If what you wrote is true (and those are two big huge enormous ifs) it will obviously be very bad, but there is no chance of it wiping out humanity.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Also, if it turns out that the virus causes everyone who recover from it to cause a spontaneous Hiroshima-sized nuclear blast three months after testing negative; the Earth will become uninhabitable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its a horrible situation, but the only outcome in which loads of people don't die is if a vaccine is created. Bill Gates doesn't believe that will be for 18 months, and we can't afford to maintain the current situation for that long.

As soon as this virus made the jump to humans, the situation was always going to be awful. Its a really difficult problem to balance current deaths, near term death rates with healthcare capacity and then longer term economic problems.
While I’m on a doom and gloom spree, the 18 month vaccine timeline really needs to stop being mentioned. This is the absolute best case scenario. Where nothing that can go wrong during development does go wrong. Every assumption is correct. Every decision made by the developers is the right one.

AND we somehow find a way to manufacture and distribute the vaccine at a scale that no pharmaceutical company has ever come close to achieving before. Which can only start in earnest when we know which candidate we’re going with, in which dose, via which route of administration.

Believe me, that best case scenario in drug development NEVER happens. Far too many moving parts. We have to constantly reevaluate and change our approach based on what we learn during the development process. And all too often, the whole thing needs to be scrapped completely. In fact that’s what happens to the vast majority of candidates that we test.

So yeah, vaccine in 18 months. Not going to happen. Absolutely no chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I have read a lot of fear mongering on the topic, but this one takes the cake. Humanity was not wiped out by the plague, it will not get wiped out by this.

If what you wrote is true (and those are two big huge enormous ifs) it will obviously be very bad, but there is no chance of it wiping out humanity.
The “no vacccine if” is moderate to small, I’d say. The “worse with each infection if”, is very big, agreed. Thank feck! It’s definitely a possibility though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
While I’m on a doom and gloom spree, the 18 month vaccine timeline really needs to stop being mentioned. This is the absolute best case scenario. Where nothing that can go wrong during development does go wrong. Every assumption is correct. Every decision made by the developers is the right one.

AND we somehow find a way to manufacture and distribute the vaccine at a scale that no pharmaceutical company has ever come close to achieving before. Over a time period of zero days.

Believe me, that best case scenario in drug development NEVER happens. Far too many moving parts. We have to constantly reevaluate and change our approach based on what we learn during the development process. And all too often, the whole thing needs to be scrapped completely. In fact that’s what happens to the vast majority of candidates that we test.

Pogue, isn’t there a chance that because SO many people are working on this that it could be quicker than any other?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
The “no vacccine if” is moderate to small, I’d say. The “worse with each infection if”, is very big, agreed. Thank feck! It’s definitely a possibility though.
I am not saying that the possibility of the two ifs combined is zero (it is very small though), but even then humanity would not be wiped out. The civilization would become completely dysfunctional and the population decimated, but it would not be completely wiped out.

Fiskey

AND we somehow find a way to manufacture and distribute the vaccine at a scale that no pharmaceutical company has ever come close to achieving before. Over a time period of zero days.

I agree! That's why I'm saying we need to come up with a strategy very soon to allow this to pass through more of the population, with young people and women at the forefront.

Iceland median age 36.5, UK 40.5, Finland 42.5, Italy 45.5. Also just like Germany and S Korea, Iceland's numbers will probably rise. Having said that, obviously not everyone gets tested. But there is a real reason for Iceland's number in this moment, they are very young population.
Where did you get those numbers from?

The median age of diagnosed in Italy is 62. The median age of death is 80.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/en/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_13_april_2020.pdf

From what little I have read on the UK a median age of 40 seems low too.

kidbob

Say we do ease measures what then happens with people who take public transport. How do you conceivably achieve social distancing on buses and trains that are normally packed with people going to and from work?

Fiskey

Don't Kill Bill

So you are saying this could be really bad then.

This is from 2018, one of the reasons I made this thread when read about this virus.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-...30006093/episode/ep06-biotechnology-30184921/

The Great filter ?

Last edited:

Balljy

There was a research paper from South Korea that looked at 300-400 recovered patients. The young adults in that group produced little to no antibodies, which suggests that immunity is rare for young people. This in return means that it could last until we have a vaccine :(
Isn't that completely normal though after a disease has passed to have only trace antibodies?

It's not the number of antibodies that has any bearing if we are re-infected but the force of the immune system at creating new antibodies to beat the virus again. It is natural for antibodies to go down to a very small level, but they are effectively waiting to be re-activated in case of the same virus.

The problem occurs when the immune system does not recognise the danger the second time through so doesn't create sufficient antibodies to beat the virus again.

https://www.thoughtco.com/antibodies-373557

massi83

Where did you get those numbers from?

The median age of diagnosed in Italy is 62. The median age of death is 80.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/en/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_13_april_2020.pdf

From what little I have read on the UK a median age of 40 seems low too.
Median age of the whole population. Not tested, not cases, not deaths. The whole population. Didn't spend more than 5 secs on googling any of those, but seem quite right also intuitively. Happy to look at better data from someone else. But the point that Icelandic are young and Italians are Europe's oldest (at least top3) stands.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Turns out that it was Shanghai and only 175 patients. The article cites where you can find the pre-study, but doesn't provide a direct link.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...rus-low-antibody-levels-raise-questions-about
Cool. Thanks. Looks like they issued a press release before they published the data. Interesting but hopefully not too much of a worry. Would wait to see much larger/longer studies before making any kind of definitive opinion about immunity.

Maticmaker

And, if western societies ever reach an extreme boiling point, it will most likely be responded to with oppression, not anarchy.
Law already exists in the UK.
Dated1714 .Time of George the 1st deep unrest, the law is "An Act for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies" commonly referred to as "the Riot Act' must be read out in public before action taken.
Last reading of the Act in Britain was supposedly in 1918/19 when Policemen went on strike! (you couldn't make it up could you??)