SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't know what it's like in the cities, but this week seems to have been the unofficial lifting of the lockdown here (semi-rural NE Somerset).

A local barber shop and tattoo parlour have reopened in the last couple of days. Both the Co-op shops have ditched the 1-in-1-out, one way system and markings on the floor. Staff were just brushing past everyone when I was in earlier. The roads have been noticeably busier all week.

I guess the virus is over. Good job, everyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Only in Tory Britain is there enough demand for tests to close the testing website before lunch time and, simultaneously, not enough demand to excuse their failure to meet testing targets.
That’s just fecking nuts. If there’s not enough capacity to do all the testing they would like to (which is fair enough, loads of countries scrabbling for finite resources) then they need to ration and prioritise. Diverting these limited resources to an online, first come first served, free for all is populist madness.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know what it's like in the cities, but this week seems to have been the unofficial lifting of the lockdown here (semi-rural NE Somerset).

A local barber shop and tattoo parlour have reopened in the last couple of days. Both the Co-op shops have ditched the 1-in-1-out, one way system and markings on the floor. Staff were just brushing past everyone when I was in earlier. The roads have been noticeably busier all week.

Awesome we can all relax then.

How has it gone away in Wuhan though? Is it through a lack of reinfections and hosts not being available (locked up safely) which resulted in the virus dying out naturally in the area? Not sure how that works because my daughter is 6/7 weeks in with clear moderate symptoms and there seems to be no end in sight for her isolation. There must be cases like that in Wuhan, new patient zeroes if you like.
I remember you talking about your daughter in another thread, are you absolutely sure she has the virus? As in has a positive test? Even the worst cases going into intensive care are generally resolving quicker than that.

alsabi

TIL that the 2018 'Tide Pod Challenge' was actually a radical immunisation programme for young people ahead of the coming global pandemic. Who knew?

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry.

Sweet Square

no doubt a fan of queen troll herself

wheres karma when you need it
I'm not the biggest fan of the series but the Black Mirror episode - Hated In The Nation always comes to mind when this cnut is brought up.

It will be interesting to see who the British right try to blame this crisis on. They will of course go after the usual targets of immigrates, ''liberal cosmopolitans'', anyone who isn't white, people on benefits etc etc. But I can see them trying to paint the real heroes of the pandemic as the good old british tax payer with their blitz like spirit, who sacrificed their daily routine to stay indoors and watch Little Britain on the telly, while - insert group to hate here - were busy dancing at work.

We truly do live on Daily Mail Island.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@finneh
@Pogue Mahone

Construction continues near my house (last I checked, about a week ago)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/constr...ep-working-as-coronavirus-spreads-11585308782
This confirms it's a wider phenomenon in the US than my neighbours. And they suceeded in winning that designation as essental workers in New York (and other states presumably).
“I’m genuinely concerned a lot of us could die. Most are older and already have a variety of job-related health issues.” So Avery*, a New York City construction worker, told me yesterday. He passed along photos, shared to a Facebook group for city construction workers, taken Tuesday morning at a commercial skyscraper in Manhattan.
The state guidance, issued as an executive order, says that essential construction work consists of “skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers” as well as “other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes.”
The second category makes sense — workers building hospitals, say, or repairing schools, are clearly essential — but the first effectively designates as essential all of the city’s approximately 150,000 construction workers.
Also in the UK, it took a lot to make construction stop, not just a fall in market demand. There were worker walkoffs and union agitation as late as 29th March, a week after the shutdown
This includes the inspiring example of 1,000 workers at the Moy Park site in Seagoe, Portadown, in the North of Ireland, who have walked out and are refusing to return to unsafe conditions. Similar developments have been seen already in Italy and Spain. This is the way forward - for workers to organise and strike to shut down production.

As we reported yesterday as part of our ‘Name and Shame’ campaign, the construction bosses and others will try to keep their companies going for as long as possible, attempting to get away with murder. Their only imperative is making money.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
@finneh
@Pogue Mahone

Construction continues near my house (last I checked, about a week ago)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/constr...ep-working-as-coronavirus-spreads-11585308782
This confirms it's a wider phenomenon in the US than my neighbours. And they suceeded in winning that designation as essental workers in New York (and other states presumably).

Also in the UK, it took a lot to make construction stop, not just a fall in market demand. There were worker walkoffs and union agitation as late as 29th March, a week after the shutdown
I run a construction company - i would say that if somebody is building a skyscraper the amount of temporary works involved with the steelworks during construction would in many occasions mean its safer to continue and reach a safe hold point before leaving sites and that could be a long time as an incomplete structure often has potential safety and stability issues. (we are working on a number of half completed bridges and the same rules apply - essentially the safest thing is to finish it properly)

Most house builders start up again in the uk next week - most large infra never stopped - though its slower and there is a lot of distancing measures and additional ppe (facemasks for example) being required plus close working in confined space is pretty much stopped unless safety critical

OleBoiii

Osaka Mayor Ichiro Matsui told reporters on Thursday (Apr 23) that men should be entrusted with grocery runs because women "take a long time as they browse around and hesitate about this and that", Kyodo news agency reported. "Men can snap up things they are told (to buy) and go, so I think it's good that they go shopping, avoiding human contact," the 56-year-old added. When challenged by a reporter, he acknowledged his remarks might be viewed as out-of-touch, but said they were true in his family.

Game changer!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

:lol: Crazy. Even in a controlled reopening I imagine we should still be observing social distancing measures in shops etc for quite some time

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

They would be breaking the law, surely ?

Anustart89

Don't care much about disrespect for clappers and stuff, but what is the actual point in prancing about in PPE? What purpose does it serve? We've been overwhelmed with people posting their post-PPE faces on social media with pressure sores on their faces and whatnot. While I find that attention-seeking behaviour, they at least serve the purpose of hopefully making people stay at home when they see what donning PPE does to the people who have to wear them to care for the infected.

What does dancing in PPE do?

Note: I say this as someone who's working in an ICU/Covid unit.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Osaka Mayor Ichiro Matsui told reporters on Thursday (Apr 23) that men should be entrusted with grocery runs because women "take a long time as they browse around and hesitate about this and that", Kyodo news agency reported. "Men can snap up things they are told (to buy) and go, so I think it's good that they go shopping, avoiding human contact," the 56-year-old added. When challenged by a reporter, he acknowledged his remarks might be viewed as out-of-touch, but said they were true in his family.

Game changer!
Problem is, I never know where the damn stuff is. The layout in shops never makes sense to me. I hate it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Game changer!
Guess he missed my post about seeing men in the grocery store without their wives earlier. Out of touch doesn't even come close.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I’m massively worried about Vaccine roll out.

If it’s done fast, many may fail and potentially hurt people

If it’s done swiftly, many right headed people will not want to go first

If it’s done in competition we end up with competing solutions where none should exist. That introduces many problems

The anti vaxxers are going to have a field day when people reject early Vaccines. They’ll see everything as another brick in their wall of crazy.

Zero confidence in any of the future messaging handling this well.
No offence, but dude! Please format your posts! I keep on looking for rhymes and can't find any.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Don't care much about disrespect for clappers and stuff, but what is the actual point in prancing about in PPE? What purpose does it serve? We've been overwhelmed with people posting their post-PPE faces on social media with pressure sores on their faces and whatnot. While I find that attention-seeking behaviour, they at least serve the purpose of hopefully making people stay at home when they see what donning PPE does to the people who have to wear them to care for the infected.

What does dancing in PPE do?

Note: I say this as someone who's working in an ICU/Covid unit.

If it makes them happy and gives them a bit of joy then I'm all for it. I can't be watching that kind of crap but let them have some fun and a bit of a release.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They would be breaking the law, surely ?
The countryside is a lawless state right now. Not seen any police presence in ages. Speeds limits definitely don't exist around here at the minute either. Youths are still loitering in fairly big groups.

In all seriousness though, I don't know what the deal is. I don't know if they're just pushing their luck until the police swing by and say "oi, you can't do this" and they close again. Is there penalties for businesses opening without the government saying so?

:lol: Crazy. Even in a controlled reopening I imagine we should still be observing social distancing measures in shops etc for quite some time
I agree, it's definitely something that should remain in place in some capacity until a vaccine is widely available. It's beginning to feel like people have just had enough and are just shrugging it off, at least in the very small sample size around me anyway. The sunny weather isn't helping.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The countryside is a lawless state right now. Not seen any police presence in ages. Speeds limits definitely don't exist around here at the minute either. Youths are still loitering in fairly big groups.

In all seriousness though, I don't know what the deal is. I don't know if they're just pushing their luck until the police swing by and say "oi, you can't do this" and they close again. Is there penalties for businesses opening without the government saying so?

I agree, it's definitely something that should remain in place in some capacity until a vaccine is widely available. It's beginning to feel like people have just had enough and are just shrugging it off, at least in the very small sample size around me anyway. The sunny weather isn't helping.
This is from the government website.

. Compliance
Everyone is instructed to comply with the rules issued by the government in relation to coronavirus, in order to protect both themselves and others.

As of 1pm on 26 March 2020 new Regulations extending the restrictions are now enforceable by law in England due to the threat to public health. These supersede Regulations that came into force at 2pm on 21 March 2020. They are enforceable in Wales from 4pm on 26 March 2020, Scotland from 7.15pm on 26 March 2020 and Northern Ireland from 11pm on 28 March.

Where an owner, proprietor or manager carrying out a business (or a person responsible for other premises) contravenes the Regulations, that person commits an offence.

In England, Environmental Health and Trading Standards officers will monitor compliance with these regulations, with police support provided if appropriate. Businesses and venues that breach them will be subject to prohibition notices, and fixed penalties. With the support of the police, prohibition notices can be used to require compliance with the Regulations including requiring that an activity ceases.

If prohibition notices are not followed, or fixed penalty notice not paid, you may also be taken to court with magistrates able to impose potentially unlimited fines

Barbers and tattoo parlours are on the list of businesses to close with no exceptions, for obvious reasons as social distancing in these places would be impossible.

Smores

That’s just fecking nuts. If there’s not enough capacity to do all the testing they would like to (which is fair enough, loads of countries scrabbling for finite resources) then they need to ration and prioritise. Diverting these limited resources to an online, first come first served, free for all is populist madness.
They're probably just the early batches of tests that barely worked. Or is it incredibly cynical of me to think an MP would distribute tests they knew were of little use for face saving?

It would be irresponsible but we're so far past that being a consideration for disbelief these days.