SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Classical Mechanic

it's 684.

still bad, but at least we're not at the 900+ levels anymore. i'll take it as a positive. this thing isn't going to drop really quickly, it will take time.
I think it will stay like this for a couple of weeks at least. There’s something like a 13 day lag on reporting of care home deaths which went up a lot in the past couple of weeks. They have to wait for the death certificate to come through to record it.

New hospitalisations would be the one to watch I think.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I remember you talking about your daughter in another thread, are you absolutely sure she has the virus? As in has a positive test? Even the worst cases going into intensive care are generally resolving quicker than that.
I don't want hijack this thread but all her symptoms are covid related, and constantly moving around. She must have one of the mutated mothers. The wife has picked up a milder version of it from her and my neighbour's daughter also has had the same as my daughter for the same length of time. Thankfully it's not affecting breathing in all three. We all need to be careful of these mutated mofos which is where Remdesivir failing has got me worried.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
it's 684.

still bad, but at least we're not at the 900+ levels anymore. i'll take it as a positive. this thing isn't going to drop really quickly, it will take time.
The thing is look at how much effort we are having to make to restrain it to these levels. Get your phased release of lockdown wrong and it explodes all over again. Social contact is going to be severely rationed for a long time.

redshaw

From the separate announcements today of 64, 110 and 587 added up to 761 excluding NI but maybe some are after the cut-off?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

From the separate announcements today of 64, 110 and 587 added up to 761 excluding NI but maybe some are after the cut-off?
I think the Guardian said the Welsh ones missed the UK deadline.

finneh

I run a construction company - i would say that if somebody is building a skyscraper the amount of temporary works involved with the steelworks during construction would in many occasions mean its safer to continue and reach a safe hold point before leaving sites and that could be a long time as an incomplete structure often has potential safety and stability issues. (we are working on a number of half completed bridges and the same rules apply - essentially the safest thing is to finish it properly)

Most house builders start up again in the uk next week - most large infra never stopped - though its slower and there is a lot of distancing measures and additional ppe (facemasks for example) being required plus close working in confined space is pretty much stopped unless safety critical
My business is the manufacture and distribution of fire doors so is somewhat critical.

We've had around 60% of deliveries postponed (c. £300k turnover vs projected £750k), although we're projecting that to reduce to around 25% in May.

It's a mixed bag really... Some contractors are business as usual taking £20+k a week, others aren't predicted to open until 18th May.

I don't want hijack this thread but all her symptoms are covid related, and constantly moving around. She must have one of the mutated mothers. The wife has picked up a milder version of it from her and my neighbour's daughter also has had the same as my daughter for the same length of time. Thankfully it's not affecting breathing in all three. We all need to be careful of these mutated mofos which is where Remdesivir failing has got me worried.
I think it is strange that they are all well enough to have avoided hospital but are still showing symptoms after 7 weeks. Doesn't tie in with any of the data getting published here. Maybe some of the actual doctors on here are better informed @Anustart89 @Arruda @africanspur @Pogue Mahone @van der star

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My business is the manufacture and distribution of fire doors so is somewhat critical.

We've had around 60% of deliveries postponed (c. £300k turnover vs projected £750k), although we're projecting that to reduce to around 25% in May.

It's a mixed bag really... Some contractors are business as usual taking £20+k a week, others aren't predicted to open until 18th May.
most of our stuff is big stuff... nuclear, military, utility, highways or rail so ultimatley government funded - Id say we are at around 90% though seeing some delay in new projects coming online as they put in place additional CV19 measures

finneh

most of our stuff is big stuff... nuclear, military, utility, highways or rail so ultimatley government funded - Id say we are at around 90% though seeing some delay in new projects coming online as they put in place additional CV19 measures
How're you finding staffing?

It's a challenge for us as everyone is desperate to be furloughed. Being paid 80% to do 0% seems like a lottery win for many (not sure how long that'll last though).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
How're you finding staffing?

It's a challenge for us as everyone is desperate to be furloughed. Being paid 80% to do 0% seems like a lottery win for many (not sure how long that'll last though).
Furloughed some due to reduction in business ... Made it clear no guarantees there is a job at the end of business does not return but hopefully there will be

Most of my staff want to work... Guess I'm lucky with that

Got some who are medically high risk themselves or had family who are so they were more glad to be furloughed I think

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I think it is strange that they are all well enough to have avoided hospital but are still showing symptoms after 7 weeks. Doesn't tie in with any of the data getting published here. Maybe some of the actual doctors on here are better informed @Anustart89 @Arruda @africanspur @Pogue Mahone @van der star
I don't think doctors even know about people like these yet. They're too busy with saving lives, rightly so, to properly analyse what's going on behind closed doors. Calling the GP or 111 to explain these (non hospitalisation) cases is pointless. As is getting them tested.

finneh

Furloughed some due to reduction in business ... Made it clear no guarantees there is a job at the end of business does not return but hopefully there will be

Most of my staff want to work... Guess I'm lucky with that
It's funny as the staff that want to work are producing production figures around 20% above average per person.

I suppose it makes sense that the staff that want to be furloughed are also the staff that could well be dragging efficiencies down long term (although there are other factors like space).

The stick of there potentially not being a job at the end isn't one we've used and we've actively said that owners are not taking a salary Q1 or Q2 to ensure liquidity. It may well be that we need to make this clear if we get greater problems.

The Purley King

My wife who is in the vulnerable category just got a mail from nhs saying stay at home til end of June.
Anyone else received similar? Didn’t know this was coming but guess it’s not a surprise

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It's funny as the staff that want to work are producing production figures around 20% above average per person.

I suppose it makes sense that the staff that want to be furloughed are also the staff that could well be dragging efficiencies down long term (although there are other factors like space).

The stick of there potentially not being a job at the end isn't one we've used and we've actively said that owners are not taking a salary Q1 or Q2 to ensure liquidity. It may well be that we need to make this clear if we get greater problems.
Law of diminishing returns.

Alabaster Codify7

it's 684.

Thanks, so each Fri is reducing by 100+ so far. Our peak each week is getting lower since 'Bad Friday' and our lowest number each week is also lower. That's as good a trend as we can hope for at present.

We have peaked. We are now in a plateau stage.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely a very unusual presentation. Whether or not she’s been tested for covid I’d be thinking about a CXR and ECG for someone with ongoing chest symptoms for 7 weeks+.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Definitely a very unusual presentation. Whether or not she’s been tested for covid I’d be thinking about a CXR and ECG for someone with ongoing chest symptoms for 7 weeks+.
When my allergy to dust was not yet diagnosed this was a common occurrence for me. Would start with sinus congestion for a couple of weeks and then migrate to my chest for at least 4-6 more, sometimes as many as 8. Even getting a cold would trigger a similar response.

Now that it's under control a cold lasts for three days. They're almost fun, I suspect due to the sheer novelty.

Jacko21

My wife who is in the vulnerable category just got a mail from nhs saying stay at home til end of June.
Anyone else received similar? Didn’t know this was coming but guess it’s not a surprise
Is this the first communication your wife has received re shielding?

I know the shielding advice had been extended to the end of June - so effectively 14 weeks from the date of the announcement. Likely to go way beyond that though.

The Purley King

Is this the first communication your wife has received re shielding?

I know the shielding advice had been extended to the end of June - so effectively 14 weeks from the date of the announcement. Likely to go way beyond that though.
This is the first text that she got we figured she must have been missed off a list somewhere as she is definitely someone who needs to avoid getting it and we’ve been conscious of that since it all kicked off.
Perhaps she was just picked up in the recent run of texts.

LordNinio

When my allergy to dust was not yet diagnosed this was a common occurrence for me. Would start with sinus congestion for a couple of weeks and then migrate to my chest for at least 4-6 more, sometimes as many as 8. Even getting a cold would trigger a similar response.

Now that it's under control a cold lasts for three days. They're almost fun, I suspect due to the sheer novelty.
I get very similar symptoms to this pretty much every year, starts as a cold, cough, etc, then in to my chest for many weeks. Usually I get the diagnosis of Bronchitis, and some antibiotics.

What do you have to cure your allergy, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Not a stick just genuinely being open and honest with people... If there is a big downturn we will have to assess overheads in line with the market

Alabaster Codify7

Still on the medical register (so can write prescriptions etc) but my specialty (pharmaceutical medicine) means no patient contact. Thank feck. Something I appreciate now more than ever!
Did not know that! Cool.
I actually opted out of the clapping last night. I think my parents thought I was a cnut but I'm kind of done with it now, it feels too much like an episode of Black Mirror. Our media spends 23hrs a day terrifying people like my parents with doom and gloom news then pressures them into going outside on cue in their pyjamas to clap and smile like a fecking circus animal. Its making me nauseous now. There's plenty of positives from around the globe they could be slightly telling us about to give people some light at the end of the tunnel but no. Not our media.

I now realize why the world calls us whinging Brits. Nothing but negativity 24/7.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks. I agree with this and called my useless GP about it (I stick with him because he's useless and gives me anti biotics when I self diagnose, specially dental, but that's another story). I kid you not he suggested my daughter has some biscuits after a meal as it may be acid build up or heartburn. :houllier: :rolleyes:

I can call him again to request a letter for an ECG or similar but am ridiculously scared of sending her into hospital. Just hoping she gets better. And like I said she's not the only one with these almost exact same symptoms, so comfort in numbers.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Thanks, so each Fri is reducing by 100+ so far. Our peak each week is getting lower since 'Bad Friday' and our lowest number each week is also lower. That's as good a trend as we can hope for at present.

We have peaked. We are now in a plateau stage.
I thought a plateau was if it was staying the same? It seems to be dropping

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I get very similar symptoms to this pretty much every year, starts as a child, cough, etc, then in to my chest for many weeks. Usually I get the diagnosis of Bronchitis, and some antibiotics.

What do you have to cure your allergy, if you don't mind me asking?
Well, I still have the allergy but I use a nasal spray daily that keeps my sinuses from overreacting and setting off the chain of histamine reactions. I prefer Omnairis (ciclesonide) but can use Nasonex (mometasone) in a pinch, though I find the Nasonex burns a little.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thanks. I agree with this and called my useless GP about it (I stick with him because he's useless and gives me anti biotics when I self diagnose, specially dental, but that's another story). I kid you not he suggested my daughter has some biscuits after a meal as it may be acid build up or heartburn. :houllier: :rolleyes:

I can call him again to request a letter for an ECG or similar but am ridiculously scared of sending her into hospital. Just hoping she gets better. And like I said she's not the only one with these almost exact same symptoms, so comfort in numbers.
ECG possibly overkill if she’s young/otherwise healthy but you’d have to be thinking about a CXR by now. Is she still coughing? Does she have a fever?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Curious if you have used an oximeter?