SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Bizarre behavior. Just fecking stay home.

Many Sydney beaches have been closed and reopened for exercise only a few days ago but people can't behave themselves so they are now closed again. My local go to exercise is the Bay Run around part of the harbor in Drummoyne/Lilyfield and it is almost unusable due to an influx of feckwits who can't socially distance and block the bike and walking/running lanes for everyone. Largely from other suburbs which is causing tensions especially as the response to polite requests to not walk 5 abreast is often a tirade of abuse.
Telling people in the UK that they can drive to their place of exercise was a big mistake. It just moves people further into other communities. There's some vague guidance that the car journey shouldn't take longer than the exercise or something similar, but you can go a long way in 20 minutes in a car.

All these people out taking exercise - how many of them were going out for an hour just to exercise before all of this? I have a friend (70 years old, super-fit) who drives to a park and runs a 5K every morning, but she's been doing that for years so I have sympathy for her!

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Telling people in the UK that they can drive to their place of exercise was a big mistake. It just moves people further into other communities. There's some vague guidance that the car journey shouldn't take longer than the exercise or something similar, but you can go a long way in 20 minutes in a car.

All these people out taking exercise - how many of them were going out for an hour just to exercise before all of this? I have a friend (70 years old, super-fit) who drives to a park and runs a 5K every morning, but she's been doing that for years so I have sympathy for her!
The exercise should be longer than the drive was a huge balls up in terms of issued guidance. It's a 2 hour drive to Snowdonia for me and it'll take me 8 hours to climb Snowdon... So that's OK?!

Steven Seagull

Probably quite a lot of people but they’ve been forced to do it on the streets as everything is closed or cancelled

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What the feck difference does the time ratio of driving to exercise make? Totally stupid advice. Idiots are still entering other communities and either a) taking the virus in with them or b) leaving with the virus.

My village adjoins a national trust estate with lots of public footpaths running through and was swamped with walkers and cyclists yesterday. Me and my family are sticking inside in our home while the place is being swamped by twats coming here and acting as normal.

Alabaster Codify7

We're waiting in Italy for the Government to make an announcement about the details of Phase 2 of the lockdown, which was expected this week (although there are of course competing interests, so no doubt there's a balancing act being considered). It looks like there will be some loosening for some industries as early as next week (the manufacturers of agricultural/forestry equipment), but it's the 4th May that will really be the start date.

Papers predict that the textile and fashion industries and construction sites will be allowed to reopen first, followed by clothing and other shops a week later, then restaurants, bars and hairdressers last of all - but all of this with strict social distancing still in place. No-one's sure of the dates yet, but the figures continue to go in the right direction so it looks hopeful.

Of course, most people are probably more interested in when they'll be able to go out of their homes freely and leave their own municipality, and whether the paperwork we have to carry now will still be required. I suspect there won't be any rapid lifting of those restrictions, but at least businesses will be able to get back to work.

(Details from thelocal.it, although widely-discussed in the Italian media, of course).

That's good to hear, pleased for Italy that things are slowly creeping towards this. I think a lot of people who are expecting Boris stood in front of a camera saying "LOCKDOWN IS OVER" while looking dead down the camera lens are misguided, the end of lockdown is going to come quietly, slowly and before you know it, life will look reasonably normal. I have a friend in a European capital who says that their government haven't been doing the daily briefing stuff at all and you would just go to work one morning and notice a few more shops had opened, here and there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's good to hear, pleased for Italy that things are slowly creeping towards this. I think a lot of people who are expecting Boris stood in front of a camera saying "LOCKDOWN IS OVER" while looking dead down the camera lens are misguided, the end of lockdown is going to come quietly, slowly and before you know it, life will look reasonably normal. I have a friend in a European capital who says that their government haven't been doing the daily briefing stuff at all and you would just go to work one morning and notice a few more shops had opened, here and there.
Kudos for not doxing that European capital.

Sparky Rhiwabon

PM announced today that we'll have two more weeks of full lockdown then they will reassess. Part of me thinks he's just trying to keep the population optimistic (our population love false hope), but I think the lockdown has a while to go yet. We've managed it quite well thus far, but the fact of the matter is we simply don't have the resources to be able to deal with an exponential increase in cases as has happened in other countries, so even though it might be painful, I think our lockdown will, and SHOULD continue.
Which PM?

fergies coat

We've been locked up with three kids for 5 weeks now. I'm going absolutely crazy now, at some point they have to open things back. My mental health will get me before this virus does.

I'm self employed and had to claim universal credit, £409 a month. The bills are starting to pile up. We can't stay at home forever. We have to just get on with it sooner or later.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We've been locked up with three kids for 5 weeks now. I'm going absolutely crazy now, at some point they have to open things back. My mental health will get me before this virus does.

I'm self employed and had to claim universal credit, £409 a month. The bills are starting to pile up. We can't stay at home forever. We have to just get on with it sooner or later.
I think the Government would have known before the "lockdown" that there would be a limited amount of time that the population would tolerate it, both for economic reasons and pure and simple boredom. My guess is that the limit is probably being reached soon.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

What do you do? I'm a plumber and in a similar position.

Sparky Rhiwabon

By the way, surely you should be getting more than £409 a month UC with three kids?

Alabaster Codify7

I think the Government would have known before the "lockdown" that there would be a limited amount of time that the population would tolerate it, both for economic reasons and pure and simple boredom. My guess is that the limit is probably being reached soon.

Yeah they will have consulted the top bods from all areas and asked "what is the maximum amount of time we can do this before we start entering irreversible territory" both financially and in terms of people's mental state.

fergies coat

By the way, surely you should be getting more than £409 a month UC with three kids?
She is my ex partner. I live about an hour away from the kids. We thought it would be better for them if I stayed here during lock down instead of taking them back and forth.

I can't afford the petrol to be driving back and forth anyway, and shopping to feed them. Not on £409 per month.

redshaw

Decided to walk to the local shop instead of drive but a team of joggers ruined it on the walk back. Luckily I could hear the slap of their heavy feet coming up behind, about 6 adults in single file, instead of hoping they would leave enough space I crossed over, didn't fancy being in their wake even if outside with all six passing one by one, this is up hill as well, all of them breathing and sweating heavily. Pity the old folk walking around, I'm sure they run around them by a metre or two but I don't think it's wise or respectful to be in a line of six passing everyone. Safe to say it'll be the car next time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
PM announced today that we'll have two more weeks of full lockdown then they will reassess. Part of me thinks he's just trying to keep the population optimistic (our population love false hope), but I think the lockdown has a while to go yet. We've managed it quite well thus far, but the fact of the matter is we simply don't have the resources to be able to deal with an exponential increase in cases as has happened in other countries, so even though it might be painful, I think our lockdown will, and SHOULD continue.
You're not the only one, I believe all nations (bar the crazy US) employs this tactics of gradually extending the lockout.

Seen nothing wrong with it, if it helps keeps the masses calm and hopeful it's a good thing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

She is my ex partner. I live about an hour away from the kids. We thought it would be better for them if I stayed here during lock down instead of taking them back and forth.

I can't afford the petrol to be driving back and forth anyway, and shopping to feed them. Not on £409 per month.
That sucks. So your UC is meant to just cover your own living costs (barely) and your ex will either be earning and/or getting benefits for her and the kids.

Might be worth trying this (maybe for both households) although I'm sure you'd rather be working

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

All the best to you

fergies coat

That sucks. So your UC is meant to just cover your own living costs (barely) and your ex will either be earning and/or getting benefits for her and the kids.

Might be worth trying this (maybe for both households) although I'm sure you'd rather be working

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

All the best to you
Cheers. Everybody is in the same boat though is suppose. I just can't wait for a bit of normality. We all took our freedom for granted.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Cheers. Everybody is in the same boat though is suppose. I just can't wait for a bit of normality. We all took our freedom for granted.
Can you not get 80% of your earnings off the government ? I thought they announced help for the self employed.

Kag

I question the thinking that goes into this question; one I’ve read several times. For many, the reduction in working hours, cancelling of plans, relative confinement and potential loneliness can all strengthen the motivation to exercise and take additional care of personal health.

I’m a teacher. I’m not driving to work for half 7 each morning and I’m no longer getting back home at 7 each night. Typically, I’ve found it difficult to maintain routine outside of a fortnightly park run and a bit of five-a-side here and there. This will apply to other professions and careers, too. I’ve sacrificed my fitness and routine over the past 3-4 years and this virus has finally given me the time to prioritise being active and do more exercise.

That the country has (seemingly) taken up exercise in droves is a fantastic boost for public health in the UK. The long-term benefits of this ongoing exercise boom will significantly outweigh the consequences of the limited transmissions that take place on a narrow path.

I really hope that this pandemic has a long term positive impact upon exercise and public health in relation to exercise. It must be encouraged.

Last edited:

Kag

I’m hearing a lot of this now. The Universal Credit roll out is one of the most botched political processes I can recall in my lifetime. It’s abhorrent.

I sympathise with your position and I think it’s telling that an increase in activity has been identified. The public-blamers and Facebook-shamers would have you believe that it’s all down to irresponsible idiots and therein the problem lies. The overwhelmingly reality is that a lot of people are reaching a point at which the bills are becoming a problem. Combine the two, and you begin to detect a more serious increase in activity overall.

I’ve done a bit of a shift in recent days and I think there has to be a gradual return to economic activity after the current lockdown window. I think this will happen, too.

Secondary to this, I worry that there may be the possibility that some people are taking this too seriously. Hear me out. They’ve quite rightly understood and followed the government advice, but are becoming so consumed by the dangers of the virus that there is a growing ambivalence and flippancy associated with other very alarming health-related figures. There has been a 75% reduction in cancer referrals for the month of April - that is a frightening figure. Yes, this virus is terrible; I can’t stress this enough. But there are other dangers that are more likely to directly affect the majority of the population (on an individual basis) that are festering undetected.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m hearing a lot of this now. The Universal Credit roll out is one of the most botched political processes I can recall in my lifetime. It’s abhorrent.

I sympathise with your position and I think it’s telling that an increase in activity has been identified. The public-blamers and Facebook-shamers would have you believe that it’s all down to irresponsible idiots and therein the problem lies. The overwhelmingly reality is that a lot of people are reaching a point at which the bills are becoming a problem. Combine the two, and you begin to detect a more serious increase in activity overall.

I’ve done a bit of a shift in recent days and I think there has to be a gradual return to economic activity after the current lockdown window. I think this will happen, too.

Secondary to this, I worry that there may be the possibility that some people are taking this too seriously. Hear me out. They’ve quite rightly understood and followed the government advice, but are becoming so consumed by the dangers of the virus that there is a growing ambivalence and flippancy associated with other very alarming health-related figures. There has been a 75% reduction in cancer referrals for the month of April - that is a frightening figure. Yes, this virus is terrible; I can’t stress this enough. But there are other dangers that are more likely to directly affect the majority of the population (on an individual basis) that are festering undetected.
As a teacher, how have you shifted in recent days?

Heardy

Is there a common consensus / view re mortgage holidays? At the min the wife is furloughed and I’m going down to a 4 day week on 80% pay.

On this basis we can still afford our bills etc. But should things worsen do you think people will be able to take a 3 month holiday down the line?

If I can avoid taking a holiday, that’d be the plan but wonder if building more of a buffer in our funds is wise!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I honestly think the rate of transmission between people passing near other people outdoors will turn out to be negligible. Certainly nowhere near high enough to merit all the angst about the increase in joggers and busy parks. Getting out and about is massively important for mental and physical health and the more healthy the general public are, the lower the mortality rate from this virus. The UK has got a lot of things wrong but I don’t have any problem with their rules around exercise.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What's the odds on schools being open through the normal summer holidays

I know teachers will Winge that they don't get 6 weeks off but these are exceptional circumstances and there are some practical considerations

1. Kids will have missed at least 6 weeks of professional education
2. Many parents depend on grand parents to help with care over the summer which does not seem practical once people return to work and furlough stops
3. Many people simply won't have the money for childminders having been on reduced furlough pay or reduced hours (nor will there be sufficient registered child minders to pick up the gap from what grandparents normally do)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Is there a common consensus / view re mortgage holidays? At the min the wife is furloughed and I’m going down to a 4 day week on 80% pay.

On this basis we can still afford our bills etc. But should things worsen do you think people will be able to take a 3 month holiday down the line?

If I can avoid taking a holiday, that’d be the plan but wonder if building more of a buffer in our funds is wise!
You would qualify for one now if you applied... But who knows if you apply in 2 or 3 months what facilities will or won't be available